Do you prefer pre-cruise stays or pre-cruise stays?

spazzyjanet

We always do a pre cruise stay because we will not fly in the day of the cruise as there is much to much risk doing that.

Sometimes we also add in a post cruise stay either because we want to spend more time in the final destination or in situations where by the time we get off it would be too tight to catch the flight we prefer.

Keith

We do both but would typically prefer pre cruise.

Prior to retiring, pre cruise was a way for me to wind down for a few days so that I could truly enjoy the cruise. Often it was a winter cruise. Flying from the snow zones and adding a pre cruise ensured that we would not miss the cruise because of inclement weather conditions.

Since retiring, we often keep our schedule open and add a last minute cruise to the back end of a land trip.

Edited by iancal

We ususally dont take 7 day cruises, because we enjoy longer ones. We had our son and DIL with us and they couldn't do a 10+ day cruise because of work. Since early morning and Monday flights were $150 less per person, staying over and taking an early Monday flight saved us a lot of money, even after a $125 hotel room.

We do things differently from cruise to cruise. If we are flying home from the port, we do like a one night post cruise stay. Things just work better for us that way. This way we can stay up late on that last cruise day and not regret it when we have to fly all day starting the next morning. We get home feeling better put together and have energy to have fun with our children upon our return. If we are driving to port or have our kids with us, then we would rather just head home.

We will do both when time/funds allow and if it makes sense. For example, we have 2 weeks time this year so we are doing 6 nights in PR before cruising on the Valor and then 2 nights when we debark. We only have one item planned for the post cruise, which is kayaking the bio bay. We extended for this because the nights pre-cruise have too much moonlight to be ideal.

We have done both. A lot of times, it can be cheaper to fly back the day after a cruise, even after taking into consideration the cost of a hotel room and meals. If we were on a cruise that ended somewhere we had not been before, we'd want to spend at least one night. We did that when we took our cruise tour in Alaska that ended in Vancouver. One day gave us time to see a little bit of the city. If it were a European port, such as a cruise from Barcelona to Venice, I'd want to spend at least a couple of nights before and after.

For Europe definitely want before and after if beginning and ending port different. After the expense of flying overseas it just seems logical. Went to Rome 3 days early and stayed 2 extra days in Venice. Crammed a lot in, then slept all the way home :-). For more "local" cruises, one day before boarding is enough.

Next summer, 3 nights in Lisbon pre-10 day cruise and 4 nights in Rome post-cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It depends on the port cities for me. We always fly in at least one day early. If it is a north American port, we fly home the day the cruise ends because of my travel partner's work schedule.

However, when I did the South America/Antarctica cruise, I flew in two days early and stayed over a day at the end. With the cost of airfare, it made sense to spend some time in both cities to see them while I was already there.

Debbie

We do both.

Pre-cruise is a must-have for me because we fly in from Canada, where the weather is unpredictable during the months we're inclined to vacation. Post-cruise because I hate that slump you feel when you get off the ship. Two or three days on the beach post-cruise lightens the mood.

We're fortunate in that I have 4 weeks of vacation annually and my husband owns his own business, so we have a fair degree of flexibility.

Our first cruise is with Regent out of and returning to Miami. We'll fly in two days before and stay one night after at the Four Seasons Miami. We're retired so there's no need to conserve time. Also, Jim doesn't rush well so the notion of combining cruise embarkation/disembarkation with airport aggravation and flight is far too distressing to contemplate.

I know not everyone has the choice but we always went pre-cruise at least two days (and sometimes more) and we always stayed at least one day post cruise.

My late DH was still practicing and liked that transition day off the ship before we flew home and I liked not stressing if the ship was disembarking slowly or late. :)

I live on the Left Coast. If I do a cruise out of FLL, by the time the ship has docked and I'm off the ship, it's too late for a flight back that would get me home before late afternoon or early evening. Because of that I'll stay in FLL for a day or two and catch a 6 a.m. flight back home; that will get me home about noon.

Being as we no longer have direct flights, we always go to the embarkation port 2 or 3 days before the cruise.

And since our first flight is early in the morning, at the end of the cruise we have to stay in a hotel as well.

And since we don't live near our airport, we have to stay at a hotel near it so that we can get our early flight to the embarkation port. And at the end of flying home, we have to tack on another hotel so that we can dreive home the following day.

I started this thread and just realized that the title should be "pre-cruise or POST-cruise stays." Ha! Oh well. I'm still undecided and will tentatively plan on doing both and staying 1 night after, especially if it means saving on air fare. I'm a little wary with kids since they will be overtired already. Will an extra day at the pool help or hurt at that point?

. . . If you could add a night either pre or post-cruise, which would you do? Why?

As stated, I'd go with pre-cruise. We're doing that in an upcoming cruise out of New Orleans. Because I tend to stress out a little about getting to the terminal in the first place, it rather eliminates that stressor. Being about to sample the surrounding area adds to the overall experience. Having an opportunity to spend a few days in New Orleans actually had a lot to do with taking the cruise in the first place.

However, when we took a repositioning cruise that ended in Rome it was a no-brainer that we'd stay a while longer!

So really, I guess, it depends a lot on origin and destination - and how anxious you might be about getting home and back to the routine.

I started this thread and just realized that the title should be "pre-cruise or POST-cruise stays." Ha! Oh well....

Fortunately I'd say most of us figured out what you intended to say, not what you actually said.:)

Edited by Treven

We just started doing both pre and post cruise add on, since we retired and have the time. Having one day post cruise (overseas) is a wonderfully relaxing way to end the cruise. And, it makes packing the last day of the cruise a little less stressful, because you don't have to think about putting all the liquids in the checked luggage, that has to be put out the night before.

Edited by LindaM
edit