FLL early ship walk off to catch an early FLL flight Home

bobnsofi

Hi all,

We searched this and found nothing.

After a cruise returning to Fort Lauderdale, we wanted to take an early flight home. As you all know, flights before noon on end of cruise day are typically considered tight for us cruisers.

Well this is how it went (we just did this... yesterday)

We called the cruise line and they said that the ship ports at the end of the cruise at 5:30am.

We called the cruise line many times in the weeks before the cruise on this topic and most cruise line customer service reps were saying flights before 11am were risky. NOT SO!

Once on the ship, the guest services desk said we could walk off at 6:15am. At 6:10am we were allowed to walk off. They have large 8 person FLL airport transfer vans waiting for $11pp. We were at FLL airport at 6:45am. We could have made an 8am flight.

Hope this helps those who follow

Hi all,

After a cruise returning to Fort Lauderdale, we wanted to take an early flight home. As you all know, flights before noon on end of cruise day are typically considered tight for us cruisers.

We called the cruise line and they said that the ship ports at the end of the cruise at 5:30am.

We called the cruise line many times in the weeks before the cruise on this topic and most cruise line customer service reps were saying flights before 11am were risky. NOT SO!

Once on the ship, the guest services desk said we could walk off at 6:15am. At 6:10am we were allowed to walk off. They have large 8 person FLL airport transfer vans waiting for $11pp. We were at FLL airport at 6:45am. We could have made an 8am flight.

While I'm glad the flight time worked out for you, this isn't always the case.

Please don't think that it is okay to tell others to book early flights.

There are about a half million things that can go wrong to make someone miss a flight.

FWIW, a cab would have only been about $11 for the both of you.

Edited by BlueHerons

Many ships don't disembark or arrive that early. The Oasis and Allure arrive early for sure. I have never disembarked in FLL as a walk off before 7:30AM.

If there are seven ships in FLL , the airport security can be a zoo with people trying to get early flights and stressed that they will miss it. I prefer not to stress out and take a later flights that still gets me home around 10PM.

I feel so happy to have snagged a 12pm non stop from FLL to MKE the day we return from our cruise. Hopefully we'll be able to leisurely leave the ship like we usually do and have no problems with making it to the airport on time.

While I'm glad the flight time worked out for you, this isn't always the case.

Please don't think that it is okay to tell others to book early flights.

There are about a half million things that can go wrong to make someone miss a flight.

FWIW, a cab would have only been about $11 for the both of you.

Well said, on all points. In our several cruises out of Port Everglades, have never seen our ship release pax to land before 7:15.

Edited by CruiserBruce

checked a random arrive sample in 01/15, and ALL DO NOT arrive as early as Independence of the Seas, but at 6:15 walk off, I'm sure 4 giant ships were already pier'd up (high seas and wind could likely delay that substantially).

The way it worked was very orderly. After customs, a walk immediately outside the terminal is a staging area for bus transfers. We walked left from there, for several 100 feet, and that's where the van's were (2 of them). There were no taxi's visible in that area. They must have been nearby, and it was dark.

Seems to me for planning, FLL airport can be reached a minimum 1.25 hours after scheduled docking time (.75 hrs for walk off after arrival time, .5 hours for customs and van ride, as you can be nearly 1st in the customs line).

Unless you are on a transition (or 1st of the season) cruise... seems to me 3 hours after scheduled arrival time for plane liftoff is a safe bet at FLL, in most cases.

We also don't like to push it, but in this case, we needed to be home asap, and it worked out fine

We have done several walk offs at FLL-Always after 7am-one even around 7:25

All times we went through customs, caught a cab and were at the airport and through security by 8;15 am

Edited by CFD130

It is commonly recommended on this board nothing before 10:30, safer after 11am.

For every person who comes on and says they made it a 9:15, or 9:30 flight, there will be at least one person who will tell of serious issues with Customs clearance at Port Everglades.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Hi all,

I know people who also fly in the day of the cruise and don't have a problem but if it is you then...........

I also know that all ships to not arrive the same time, have been on ships that were delayed due to weather, and also have been on ships where disembarkation was delayed because of problems with immigration. It happens.

I have arrived to this port and the port of Miami and the ports of New York and Los Angeles many times on different cruise ships and same ones too and the experience can be quite different from great to a disaster.

I would be conservative on what time to book a flight.

And also I didn't mention what a disaster the airport can be for checkin.

Keith

I would be conservative on what time to book a flight.

Exactly!!

YEMD, Your Experience May Differ, the cruise line does not control when anything gets off the ship. Your luggage or your person it is not the call of the cruise line or the ship. It is Customs and the Port. They tell the ship when to let baggage off (it starts to come off even before "self assist") then when to let the first passengers off.

99 times you will make the flight but the one time you don't... Who wants to end a fantastic trip with flying stand by?

Forget all the other stuff, cost, missed connections etc. Just flying standby....

No thank you.

And considering flights nowadays are booked full, flying standby isn't as successful as years ago. Now add in that extra night in a hotel and that cheaper early flight suddenly has become a disaster.

10:30 would be the earliest I'd book. Actually we did that flight once and sweated it. After 3 groups left the ship with no snags, the delay hit... ALARMS! There was a small fire discovered in the luggage terminal. We waited 45 min. for the fire to be put out and fire marshalls to agree the place was safe to resume disembarkation. Had we booked earlier, we would have missed the boarding cut off. So... just saying. Be prepared as well as you can.

We just disembarked the Carnival Freedom last Sunday. We were supposed to be called off between 9:50 and 10:10. Did not get called until 10:30. We did not clear customs until 12:15. With all the ships in Florida now for high season it appears the custom agents are stretched too thin, so anticipate a longer than normal wait in line once you are off the ship.

We did self disembark and were some of the very first people off of the Crown Princess. We snagged a taxi and were at the airport shortly after. BUT we still didn't leave the ship until 7:45.

I wouldn't book anything prior to 10:30 because if the ship is delayed at all arriving you are cutting it relatively close.

I have a related question: whats the LATEST you can generally leave? Talking Royal Caribbean - Liberty of the Seas out of FLL arrival time of 7:00 am. My flight isnt until late afternoon and I'd rather screw around on a cruise ship than in an airport.

I have a related question: whats the LATEST you can generally leave? Talking Royal Caribbean - Liberty of the Seas out of FLL arrival time of 7:00 am. My flight isnt until late afternoon and I'd rather screw around on a cruise ship than in an airport.

About 9:00 they will be pushing the last cruisers off the ship - they have lots to do to get ready for the next set of cruisers who will start to board about 11:00.

I'd look at an excursion that would drop you at the airport in time for your flight, or rent a car for the day and go where you want. You can store your bags at FLL (airlines will usually not take them until 3-4 hours prior to departure) and then cab somewhere fun for lunch/drinks.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I have done self-disembark for the past 2 yrs. 2 yrs ago, we were off of Oasis, through customs and at FLL airport by 6:45AM Last year, off of Allure, through customs and @ FLL airport by 7:30AM. I am up early and sit on our balcony and watch the ship pull in, sometimes as early as 5:00AM. From there, I know the rest is up to customs.

My husband and I have done self-disembark for the past 2 yrs. 2 yrs ago, we were off of Oasis, through customs and at FLL airport by 6:45AM Last year, off of Allure, through customs and @ FLL airport by 7:30AM. I am up early and sit on our balcony and watch the ship pull in, sometimes as early as 5:00AM. From there, I know the rest is up to customs.

Oasis and Allure are special cases. Due to their size, they are typically directed to get in first.