Aloha shirts for the ladies

CasaM

We are planning our first Hawaiian cruise, which we just booked spur of the moment. Now I think it would be cool for DH and I to have some aloha shirts. Do they make womens aloha shirts or do you just get a smaller mens and wear that. We have none as yet, so I'm going to start looking online. Any suggestions for something inexpensive?

They make them for women.....so you shouldn't have to wear a man's shirt...they are boxy and unattractive for a women's shape! Have you looked online yet? Instead of a shirt, how about a pretty flowered sundress in the "Hawaiian" print?

Edited by cb at sea

If you can wait until you get there, the Sears store in Honolulu had the biggest selection of Hawaiian shirts I have ever seen in my life. It was absolutely jaw-dropping. Ooof.

If you're referring to the Sears at Ala Moana Center, unfortunately it closed last year.

I found a beautiful Hawaiian print (big hibiscus flowers) longish dress at a thrift store years ago; took it on our Hawaii cruise and wore it a lot. It felt perfect for many onboard occasions. The dresses at Hilo Hatties were beautiful but expensive. I see some of them on ebay now. I just love all those fabrics!

Thank you all. I will start looking online. One of my problems is that I don't wear any scoop or V necklines due to a scar. I know people say get over it and don't worry about the scar, but I haven't worn anything low in over 40 years and I'm not likely to change now.

Thank you all. I will start looking online. One of my problems is that I don't wear any scoop or V necklines due to a scar. I know people say get over it and don't worry about the scar, but I haven't worn anything low in over 40 years and I'm not likely to change now.

You should wear what you like. If you don't like anything low, then don't wear it. I sure you will find something that you will like. Let us know how you shopping goes.

GeoCruiser, those are really cute prints and lovely colors. I especially liked the polos with the woven floral print. I 'm going to order at least one color and maybe two colors. They'll be great for Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

I must have over a dozen of these shirts in different prints. I just turn them inside out and put in the machine with a normal cycle. They wash beautifully. I have had some for years and no problem.

They have this in the clearance section. Once the spring clothing comes in they usually have it in many different colors.

Don't know if the link will work. But...

http://www.beallsflorida.com/online/SearchDisplay?searchTermScope=&searchType=1000&filterTerm=&orderBy=3&maxPrice=&showResultsPage=true&langId=-1&beginIndex=180&sType=SimpleSearch&metaData=&pageSize=90&manufacturer=&resultCatEntryType=2&catalogId=12003&pageView=image&searchTerm=Clearance&minPrice=&categoryId=15062&storeId=10151&viewType=

all most at the bottom of the page. It has a black background with green leaves.

Edited by geocruiser

Aww yes, that's the one. We walked to Ala Moana Center from our hotel one day. Just the Sears closed?

Sears closed at Ala Moana but there is still one in Pearl City area at Pearlridge Mall.

I don't know if/what else closed but they are building another huge area for the mall as well another parking garage from what I have heard. I don't know what else they could possibly be adding LOL

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you want the real thing in "aloha shirts," skip places like Hilo Hattie's or an ABC store where all you'll find is "knock offs." Head straight to Reyn Spooner, which has a store in Ala Moana. They have men's and women's wear and many classic original print designs.

As for Tommy Bahama: nice clothes but "Aloha Shirt" is spelled "Reyn Spooner."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...
Wait till you get there and then go to one of Hilo Hattie's store .

Hilo Hattie's is quite expensive, mostly because their prints are copyrighted. However, my husband has several HH shirts, all found in thrift shops. Some while we were there, and just last week we ran across one, like new, in our local shop for $2! I know, previously worn is not to everyone's taste. Matching ones would be harder still.

I love muumuus, but was shocked at the price and disappointed in the selection. I hit the fabric stores in Kona. Oh my. So now I make my own muumuus, using nightgown patterns as a base. Haven't tackled a shirt yet, because buttonholes are hard. I am getting there though.

There are many good vendors online, best of luck finding just the right thing!

Tori Richard makes wonderful Hawaiian shirts. They do the "inside out" style where the bright pattern is inside, for a nice subtle look. DH has two -we have managed to find one on sale the last two times we went. Even at full price, it's a really nice piece of clothing.

http://www.torirchard.com

Just for fun, I Googled "brands of Hawaiian shirts" and found this interesting site: http://gohawaii.about.com/od/toppicks/tp/hawaiian_shirts.htm

Edited by critterchick