New to Celebrity. Need help convincing family.

jeffdal

I'm convincing my siblings we really need to give my mom a break next Christmas and do a family cruise. We are looking at the 12/20 7 day out of FLL on Silhouette (parents live in West Palm).

Without having been on Celebrity, I am assuring my siblings that it's a higher end experience compared to other lines. Am I off base? They are not that picky but like things to be nice. Food, accommodations, etc.

We will have a group of 11 that includes a very well behaved 15 year old. But we are not sure where he will stay. The parents need a break and would like him to stay with the grand parents. Does three to a cabin work out ok?

Any advice and words of encouragement is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm convincing my siblings we really need to give my mom a break next Christmas and do a family cruise. We are looking at the 12/20 7 day out of FLL on Silhouette (parents live in West Palm).

Without having been on Celebrity, I am assuring my siblings that it's a higher end experience compared to other lines. Am I off base? They are not that picky but like things to be nice. Food, accommodations, etc.

We will have a group of 11 that includes a very well behaved 15 year old. But we are not sure where he will stay. The parents need a break and would like him to stay with the grand parents. Does three to a cabin work out ok?

Yes, IMHO, Celebrity is a little bit more upscale than most other "big ship" "mass market" cruise lines...(and way more upscale than Carnival!)...The ships are less crowded, more tastefully decorated...The food and service is excellent...

The Silhouette is a very nice, very elegant ship...

As to three in a cabin, yes, it can be accommodated...There are a good many cabins with three or four berths, some have a convertible sofa bed, others an upper berth that pulls down from the ceiling like a bunk bed...The main issue, for me, would be lack of privacy and having to share the small bathroom with three...We've taken a cruise with only one of our daughters once...and just got her a cabin for herself--even though it adds a little to the cost. She appreciated not having to share...

Good luck...

Why don't you book a Family Cabin. This will give them a lot more room and at least a little more privacy.

If you're used to NCL/Carnival etc. you will find Celebrity to be more upscale with less of the trashy pool side shenanigans of the lower end lines. That being said, it also means dressing better..no shorts at dinner in the MDR etc.The food is also quite a bit better than those lines(though their specialty rest. are very good)Do try the "Family Stateroom". It's kind of like a suite(in size) but without the much higher price(though less amenities as well). Check the Celebrity website..they can show the rooms in pretty good detail.

...(and way more upscale than Carnival!)...

I actually disagree with this to an extent. When it comes to activities, décor and the typical passenger each line attracts it's probably true, but in many ways the experience is the same. The cabins, the food, the service and the entertainment are all on pretty much the same level.

On thing that does make a difference is the number of families on board. Celebrity ships are rarely overrun with children making for a more sedate environment.

I think Celebrity is along the lines of a Hyatt or Intercontinental hotel. Similar decor (nothing tacky). Food and service are generally very good on Celebrity. No wet t-shirt, sexy leg competitions by the pool! I'd agree with the previous suggestion and get a family verandah room if there's more than 2 to the cabin.

Avalon Scenery Burgundy and Provence-June 2010

Celebrity Infinity Alaska-May 2012

Celebrity Century Pacific Wine-Sept 2012

Celebrity Millennium N Alaska-July 2013

Celebrity Century Pacific Coastal-May 2014

Celebrity Millennium Malaysia and Indonesia-Nov 2014

Celebrity Millennium Southbound Alaska May 2015

Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal September 2015

Celebrity's S-class ships, of which the Silhouette is one, are stunningly beautiful and elegant. We recently spent a fantastic two weeks aboard her on the westbound transatlantic. In terms of "mass market" lines, I can only compare Celebrity with NCL. While we've enjoyed our NCL cruises, Celebrity is a bit more "refined," if you will (although we have only done TAs, so I can't speak to a Caribbean cruise, which I suspect is a good bit "livelier"), and the food is certainly better.

As for three to cabin, below is a photo of a balcony cabin on the Silhouette (this is actually Concierge Class, but on S-class, the interior is the same size as it is in Veranda Class). You can see the sofa (which opens for a third person) and how cramped (imho) the cabin would be with a third person who is not a very young child. And there's only one bathroom of course. Doesn't sound like it would be much of a holiday break (or very private) for the grandparents to have their 15-year-old grandson in there.

OP: have a great time, whatever you decide.

Silhouettecabin1024x761_zps8a148876.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

i would never put three adults in a standard cabin ( and yes a 15 YO is large enough to be 'adult' )sorry but as a a former 15 year old no way would I want to sleep in the same cabin as my grandparents, no matter HOW much I loved them.

we had a basic Sky suite and for us two adults I thought it was small( as compared to Royal's Grand Suites)

I would either stick the 15 yo in a cabin with an adult closer in age or get a 2 BR suite so that the parents can have their down time.

Family suite or stateroom is best choice...3 to a standard size cabin tight on S class...more like camping out...limited cubbies etc. Other choices will afford everyone some personal space, places to charge tech stuff etc...

there will be others on bd in the 15 to 16 yr age group....and lots of activites as well. DJs still on board...15 yr old should find plenty to do...also a great gym! And lots of active choices in ports...depending on interest. A ship like Oasis may have zip line, rock wall and flo rider but Celeb will offer moreof an upscale experience for all ages...and much less walking to get from place to place!

plenty of choices for family dining, specialty night out for grandpatents and teen's parents..

Dressing nice for special family get togethers is a good thing but there's also an available buffet for casual dress...

Hope you book it, have a great time and make long lasting family memories!

Edited by hcat

The Silhouette is a beautiful ship!!!!! As others have suggested, book the family cabin. It is roomier. There are less kids on Celebrity than many other lines; however, it is Christmas week, so there will most likely be other families.

There is a 'camp' for the kids so the 15 year old will not have to hang with the family all day if he chooses not too.

In my view, three in a cabin is very tight. Regular cabins are small. I thought you wanted to give your mom a break? Why saddle her with a kid in her cabin???

I caught that too. That's sounds like a nightmare not a vacation!:eek:;)

I actually disagree with this to an extent. When it comes to activities, décor and the typical passenger each line attracts it's probably true, but in many ways the experience is the same. The cabins, the food, the service and the entertainment are all on pretty much the same level.

On thing that does make a difference is the number of families on board. Celebrity ships are rarely overrun with children making for a more sedate environment.

I definitely don't feel the service on Carnival is comparable to Celebrity. Carnival is certainly a "fun ship", but service is not what they are known for. The service and food on Celebrity is definitely more refined. I do, however, think Carnival wins in the entertainment department.

To the OP, a few years ago we did a family group cruise. There were 13 of us, and we spanned from age 8 to 80. My sister (who had twin 8 year olds) did a Sky Suite. Actually, we all did Sky Suites because the price was right, but my brother (who has 3 kids), booked two Sky Suites side by side. We did the Century, and it was great. But the Silhouette is stunning. We've done the Silhouette twice now. Once with my sister and her husband and twins (and all four were in a standard Concierge Class cabin) and we just did the Transatlantic Crossing from Rome on Silhouette. You are going to love that ship.

Enjoy spending the holidays sailing with your family.

Everyone keeps mentioning the crampness of a room with three, but they must have a large disposable income because it can be a lot more to put a person in a single cabin or upgrade to a suite. Most people can do three to a room fine if finances are an issue. They also mention the family staterooms, but as it is a Christmas sailing I doubt you will be able to book it. Usually you must have five in a room to book it. As Christmas sailings are popular I doubt they will let you book it with three people. You can try it but I wanted to warn you.

I thought Celebrity was nice, but I don't think it is more upscale then any of the other mainstream lines. More kids and teenagers sail on Christmas so as long as he is not unusually shy the teenager should find some friends

Have fun!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I am confused - who exactly needs a break? It started out sounding like your Mom needed a break from all the Christmas activities (and I so am there myself) but then you talk about sticking Grandma (your Mom?) / Grandpa with a 15 yr old in their cabin, stating that the kid's parents need a break. Sticking a 15 yr old in a standard veranda cabin as a 3rd would be miserable regardless of who it would be with but don't think you are doing your Mother any favor by putting her in this position. :eek:

Higher end, not really. Nice ships. Pretty geriatric. Food good. Accommodations, no different. 3 in cabin can work, not ideal but should work. Entertainment just OK. At least you'll have family to enjoy with you.

We enjoyed X this month - no better than the others though.

OP, Celebrity is less kid friendly then CCL, RC and NCL but should still be OK for a 15 year old at Christmas

where there will be more kids then normal . Unless you are prepared to allow a 15 year old to have his own

cabin , 3 will be fine in one cabin .

Perhaps he can move between the cabins of his parents and his grandparents. Share him . :D

Yes, IMHO, Celebrity is a little bit more upscale than most other "big ship" "mass market" cruise lines...(and way more upscale than Carnival!)...The ships are less crowded, more tastefully decorated...The food and service is excellent...

I agree with your post except for the shot at Carnival . You are bang on with your statement that Celebrity is

"a little bit more upscale than most other "big ship" "mass market" cruise lines ". Carnival is very similar to RC

when comparing food , service, cabins and entertainment . The RC ships do have a greater "wow" factor .

Edited by richstowe

One thing to note is that over Christmas there will be MANY children on a ship out of FL like Silhouette. Not as many as Reflection which could have more than 700, but certainly hundreds of kids are likely. You should just be aware it will impact the often "sedate" nature of sailing, in areas like the pool, early dining, etc. and overall make the ship more crowded.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Looking at the lines that you have cruised, yes Celebrity is a step up. Better food across the board. One announcement per day verses many annoncements for Inch of Gold, Belly Flop and Art Auctions. Entertainment is on par with RCI's Freedom class and below.

I like RCI but too many kids on board and getting worse. I found service to be equal to that of RCI. Good on both lines. Suite perks are much better on Celebrity. Carnival is the bottom of my list in every category. Not even close to Celebrity when it comes to on board atmosphere.

Give Celebrity a try. You may be surprised. The S class of ships are very nice.

I strongly disagree with those making it sound like a nightmare to have a third adult in a cabin. Is it nicer to have a bigger cabin or sky suite? Of course. But my husband and I have sailed with my now 28 year old son in the same cabin for more than 20 cruises, from the time he was 3 until this year. Is it a bit cramped at times? Yes. Is it workable? Absolutely!!

Where the kid should bunk really depends on who wants more relaxation and the nature of the relationships, as well as the personalities. I have a 13 year old granddaughter now, and I would be thrilled to have her share a cabin with my husband and I for a cruise. We really could bond in ways we would never have the chance to do otherwise.

As to the brand, well, at 25 cruises and counting (out of 30 or so) clearly we are sold on Celebrity. RCI provides a nice experience and has a bit more for the younger crowd, but overall Celebrity can't be beat IMHO.

The Silhouette is a very nice, very elegant ship...

As to three in a cabin, yes, it can be accommodated...There are a good many cabins with three or four berths, some have a convertible sofa bed, others an upper berth that pulls down from the ceiling like a bunk bed...The main issue, for me, would be lack of privacy and having to share the small bathroom with three...We've taken a cruise with only one of our daughters once...and just got her a cabin for herself--even though it adds a little to the cost. She appreciated not having to share...

Good luck...

Steve as always all of your comments are spot on.

We like Celebrity but we no longer find it any more upscale than most of the other lines.

It will be very different than Carnival and much more sedate.

My view as a grandparent - we only have one but we wouldn't mind at all sharing a room with our grandchild!

Edited by Jeal

In my view, three in a cabin is very tight. Regular cabins are small. I thought you wanted to give your mom a break? Why saddle her with a kid in her cabin???

I'm always looking at how to stretch the budget, and will be doing a 2 week Scandinavian cruise with my best friend and her daughter. But we three adults have travelled together, enjoy each other's company, and know how to accommodate each other. A fifteen year old whose parents want privacy dropping in on grandparents doesn't sound like an ideal compromise unless all involved are happy to make the necessary accommodations.

If you do decide to go with 3 in a cabin, I would consider getting a cabin near the gym or spa...sometimes when everyone is getting ready for dinner you need more space, and I have found the showers in the public areas are usually available at this time to make preparing for dinner easier.