New to Celebrity. Need help convincing family.

jeffdal

I'm convincing my siblings we really need to give my mom a break next Christmas and do a family cruise. We are looking at the 12/20 7 day out of FLL on Silhouette (parents live in West Palm).

Without having been on Celebrity, I am assuring my siblings that it's a higher end experience compared to other lines. Am I off base? They are not that picky but like things to be nice. Food, accommodations, etc.

We will have a group of 11 that includes a very well behaved 15 year old. But we are not sure where he will stay. The parents need a break and would like him to stay with the grand parents. Does three to a cabin work out ok?

Any advice and words of encouragement is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey Jeff! Just come talk to me at the next Dallas Running Club event!:eek:

EW

I strongly disagree with those making it sound like a nightmare to have a third adult in a cabin. Is it nicer to have a bigger cabin or sky suite? Of course. But my husband and I have sailed with my now 28 year old son in the same cabin for more than 20 cruises, from the time he was 3 until this year. Is it a bit cramped at times? Yes. Is it workable? Absolutely!! "

We have also done three to a cabin a lot. It is a bit cramped, but you can do it. I admittedly do not care a lot about the cabin, but DH does. I would do it again. More room in a suite to be sure, but it can be done without spoiling your vacation. How much time will you spend in the cabin? In my case, usually not so much.

Ohiodoglover

3 in a cabin is very doable. We did 4 in a cabin on Princess which in my opinion has smaller rooms. My wife and I had plenty of down time because the kids were always with friends at the kid's club. As a matter of fact we had more down time on the ship than at home ;). You just have to alter your schedule to accommodate the situation.

To the OP, as far as convincing your family, it depends what they are looking for. Celebrity is an elegant, sedate, dignified cruise line with good food, lovely ships, excellent service. Entertainment is good but not as varied or extensive as some cruise lines like Royal and NCL. Dress code is followed pretty closely, 2 formal nights and 5 smart casual on a 7 day cruise (although you can avoid formal wear in the specialty restaurants and buffet if you want.) Children and teen programs are good but the ships don't have the diversions like rock climbing, ice skating, water slides, etc. Celebrity is really about enjoying the company of your cruising companions in an elegant atmosphere. If this is what your family would enjoy, Celebrity is a great choice.

I think our favorite and most memorable cruise was on NCL sun with our to children in a mid ship balcony. They were 18 and 19.

Love celebrity, but we really look for the itinerary and price on all lines b4 we book. Our last three cruises have been on NCL, RC, and Celebrity and we have NCL and Celebrity booked for future cruises. You can make any line as upscale as you would like, it just takes more money!:)

Celebrity is like a Hilton or Marriott.

RCCl is like a Holiday Inn, Courtyard or Hilton Garden Inn.

Carnival is like a Bestwestern, Holiday inn express.

IMHO

Celebrity has less kids activities, so be prepared to entertain the 15 year old. If your Mother, the grandmother needs a break, you shouldn't stick the 15 year old with the grandparents. Depending on the class of room you can't add a 3rd person.

The food choices on Celebrity are excellent & very upscale, think Ruth Christ each night. If you like the contest pool side, wet t-shirt contests, ect... then Carnival & RCCL are for you. If you perfer a calm day pool side Celebrity is the way to go.

You won't see anyone wearing blue jeans in the MDR on Celebrity, and I've seen ppl get turned away at MDR for not following dress code that evening. Carnival & RCCL are more relaxed and you'll see blue jeans in the MDR.

Hope this helps. Happy cruising.

IMHO

You won't see anyone wearing blue jeans in the MDR on Celebrity, and I've seen ppl get turned away at MDR for not following dress code that evening. Carnival & RCCL are more relaxed and you'll see blue jeans in the MDR.

The most elegant formal night I have ever seen was on a Carnival ship. The best MDR food I have ever had was on a Carnival ship and the newer Carnival ships are nothing like Best Western - more like a theme park resort.

In fact that is a good way to look at it. Celebrity is more like an adult resort while Carnival is like Disney World. Both good in their own ways.

Celebrity guests usually (depending on itinerary) dress a little less casually but in my experience the difference is not huge.

Edited by gek

IMHO

Celebrity has less kids activities, so be prepared to entertain the 15 year old. If your Mother, the grandmother needs a break, you shouldn't stick the 15 year old with the grandparents. Depending on the class of room you can't add a 3rd person.

The food choices on Celebrity are excellent & very upscale, think Ruth Christ each night. If you like the contest pool side, wet t-shirt contests, ect... then Carnival & RCCL are for you. If you perfer a calm day pool side Celebrity is the way to go.

Food choices are far from Ruth CHRIS. The Hotel analogy is not close either - the mainstreams are pretty much the same with the exception of demographics. X = geriatric! old. Others mentioned = younger and livelier.

Celebrity has less kids activities, so be prepared to entertain the 15 year old.

Normally you would be correct but OP did specify a holiday cruise when there are more kids and more

activities on Celebrity although far less then CCL , RC and NCL . During the holidays he will be fine.

Food choices are far from Ruth CHRIS. The Hotel analogy is not close either - the mainstreams are pretty much the same with the exception of demographics. X = geriatric! old. Others mentioned = younger and livelier.
Yes. Pretty much the same but people do self-select and the passenger demographics

are different besides just their average age .

IMHO

What I don't get is why the parents cannot accommodate their own child!:mad:

OP's mother already raised him and one of those parents. He said she needed a break. I'm sure she loves her grand dearly but that is not her child. I remember when I was a 15 year old boy (billions and billions of years ago:eek:). I wouldn't wish that anyone trying to take a vacation!:D

I should add that some friends took a family cruise and had their teenage daughter room with her widowed grandmother. It was not a big success ---- lots of conflicts about tidiness, schedules (teen wanted to come in late and sleep late, not a hit with Grandma), timing getting ready for dinner, TV programs, and so on. Their verdict was they would NOT plan it that way again, too much stress on everyone including the parents who had to listen to complaints from both sides.

The most elegant formal night I have ever seen was on a Carnival ship. The best MDR food I have ever had was on a Carnival ship and the newer Carnival ships are nothing like Best Western - more like a theme park resort.

In fact that is a good way to look at it. Celebrity is more like an adult resort while Carnival is like Disney World. Both good in their own ways.

Celebrity guests usually (depending on itinerary) dress a little less casually but in my experience the difference is not huge.

Wet t-shirt contests are not Disney like in any way /shape /form. When we sailed Carnival we looked forward to port days to have a decent meal. The MDR was like eating at Old Country Buffet. And if black kakhi's are dressy, then yes people were dressed up. I did not see a single tux on either Carnival cruise. This was our experience both times. The sexy leg & wet t-shirt poolside contest were not "family" friendly as Disney Is. Carnival was like a non stop spring break & not a place to take young children IMHO.

Celebrity is way more upscale. Think Waldorf Astoria resort.

I strongly disagree with those making it sound like a nightmare to have a third adult in a cabin. Is it nicer to have a bigger cabin or sky suite? Of course. But my husband and I have sailed with my now 28 year old son in the same cabin for more than 20 cruises, from the time he was 3 until this year. Is it a bit cramped at times? Yes. Is it workable? Absolutely!!

Where the kid should bunk really depends on who wants more relaxation and the nature of the relationships, as well as the personalities. I have a 13 year old granddaughter now, and I would be thrilled to have her share a cabin with my husband and I for a cruise. We really could bond in ways we would never have the chance to do otherwise.

As to the brand, well, at 25 cruises and counting (out of 30 or so) clearly we are sold on Celebrity. RCI provides a nice experience and has a bit more for the younger crowd, but overall Celebrity can't be beat IMHO.

I appreciate this comment. We are cruising on our first Celebrity ship (Silhouette) in March. We have only ever stayed suites, but our family of 3 (with an 11 year old) is trying out a CC balcony because it was a deal we couldn't resist. I've convinced my DH and DS that we will be cozy but happy in our regular balcony room. I was really getting worried that my family is going to be very upset with me if it was too small to be comfortable. You gave me hope that we'll be just fine. We enjoy being together so...we'll just be closer together on this cruise...right?? :)

Wet t-shirt contests are not Disney like in any way /shape /form. When we sailed Carnival we looked forward to port days to have a decent meal. The MDR was like eating at Old Country Buffet. And if black kakhi's are dressy, then yes people were dressed up. I did not see a single tux on either Carnival cruise. This was our experience both times. The sexy leg & wet t-shirt poolside contest were not "family" friendly as Disney Is. Carnival was like a non stop spring break & not a place to take young children IMHO.

Celebrity is way more upscale. Think Waldorf Astoria resort.

You gotta be kidding me!

X is nothing like the Waldorf and I've never seen a wet t shirt contest on a cruise. I believe the post is being a tad exaggerated. I rest my case in older demographics and stubborn notions. I'm not a fan of CCL but after being on X, I can't say I'm a fan of them either. Kids are fine on CCL unless one is super, super conservative. FYI, I'm not a young guy at 59.

You gotta be kidding me!

X is nothing like the Waldorf and I've never seen a wet t shirt contest on a cruise. I believe the post is being a tad exaggerated. I rest my case in older demographics and stubborn notions. I'm not a fan of CCL but after being on X, I can't say I'm a fan of them either. Kids are fine on CCL unless one is super, super conservative. FYI, I'm not a young guy at 59.

I almost spit my coffee out when I read the Waldorf comparison. I like Celebrity. It is a step up from the others but only a step, not a giant leap! If a Waldorf is like a Bentley, Celebrity is a mid level BMW. Royal is a Lincoln SUV (for the kids), Norwegian is the quirky Jeep Wangler, go anywhere you want, do your own thing type car, and Carnival is like a Chevy Camaro convertible, It ain't no Ferrari but for many people it's a hoot to drive.:)

Celebrity is more formal and sedate than the others so if the OP's family wants that X will be fine. If they want a bit more relaxed and active atmosphere pick one of the other major lines.

As for three in a room it is doable. My 17 year old spent a cruise in our cabin. Not ideal but doable. He put up with my snoring quite well.:o

Edited by DirtyDawg

I appreciate this comment. We are cruising on our first Celebrity ship (Silhouette) in March. We have only ever stayed suites, but our family of 3 (with an 11 year old) is trying out a CC balcony because it was a deal we couldn't resist. I've convinced my DH and DS that we will be cozy but happy in our regular balcony room. I was really getting worried that my family is going to be very upset with me if it was too small to be comfortable. You gave me hope that we'll be just fine. We enjoy being together so...we'll just be closer together on this cruise...right?? :)

Yes, you will be just fine. But I won't lie either - it will definitely feel more cramped than a suite. But after a day or so you will adjust and the ship and cruise line are so enjoyable you will not regret it for a minute IMHO.

Yes, you will be just fine. But I won't lie either - it will definitely feel more cramped than a suite. But after a day or so you will adjust and the ship and cruise line are so enjoyable you will not regret it for a minute IMHO.

That was my thinking as well. Once we get settled and start enjoying the ship it shouldn't make a huge difference. Maybe for an hour or two in a day we'll be bumping into each other getting ready...and then we're on our way out the door again.

I disagree vehemently with the idea that X= geriatric.

we have sailed Celebrity and in our Mid 40s were smack dab in the MIDDLE of the average age. and the older folks that do sail are less geriatric and more fun loving very active seniors.

Family suite or stateroom is best choice...3 to a standard size cabin tight on S class...more like camping out...limited cubbies etc. Other choices will afford everyone some personal space, places to charge tech stuff etc...

Yes, a family cabin on an S-class ship would be a great choice, if they can get one.

While there are parts of the world to this day where entire families live in one small room, those of us who are fortunate enough to have choices do not need to live that way on a cruise ship.

When we were children, even as teenagers, 5 or 6 of us happily shared a room at summer camp, but there is no way we would be willing to do that on vacation today.

Comfort and privacy are important components of a vacation for us now.

As we see here on Cruise Critic, some are content with an inside cabin, some want nothing less than a top suite, and most fall somewhere in between those two extremes.

However, I think it would be very unfair to the grandparents to put the teenager into their bedroom, even if they are good-natured enough to agree to it.

Edited by fleckle

However, I think it would be very unfair to the grandparents to put the teenager into their bedroom, even if they are good-natured enough to agree to it.

I so agree with you. And while some think it's not such a big deal to be in each other's way during the awake time you spend in your cabin, people should also think about the utter lack of privacy when sleeping. There is not even a curtain separating the sofa from the bed in a balcony cabin. Speaking only for myself, the only grown person I want to share that small space with is my spouse.

I actually disagree with this to an extent. When it comes to activities, décor and the typical passenger each line attracts it's probably true, but in many ways the experience is the same. The cabins, the food, the service and the entertainment are all on pretty much the same level.

On thing that does make a difference is the number of families on board. Celebrity ships are rarely overrun with children making for a more sedate environment.

For us, this slightly more sedate environment makes the X experience a bit more upscale relative to NCL and Carnival, in particular.

I feel that the Silhouette is a wonderful ship! The staff goes out of their way to be friendly, courteous and there whenever you need them. DH and I ate in all the premium restaurants every night thanks to the "special" they offer (instead of $45/pp its $25/pp or so). The only thing is you do so every night (at whichever restaurant you want-Lawnclub Grill, Murano's, Tuscan Grille, or Qzine). Anyway, we thoroughly enjoyed the food,the service and the ambiance! The food in the buffet was great and the Bistro on Five was amazing (only $7 more). I'm 46 and feel like the food and service in Carnival has been going downhill. RCCL is good for families and people who want to be on the move. Celebrity is more elegant, relaxing and serene. Now, it does have a children's area (different ages) and when we sailed there were kids from 5-18 on board. They seemed to be having a good time too.

We cruised in a Concierge 2 cabin and we loved our stewards! Their answer to everything was yes. [emoji2] Anything we needed, we didn't wait long! The cabin is great! No slamming doors to the veranda like in Carnival! The verandah is slightly bigger than other ships and it helps!

I think it would depend on your plans, how long it takes to get ready for dinner etc., whether it would be a good idea to have the kid in the room.

We booked another Celebrity cruise and are looking forward to it.

I almost spit my coffee out when I read the Waldorf comparison. I like Celebrity. It is a step up from the others but only a step, not a giant leap! If a Waldorf is like a Bentley, Celebrity is a mid level BMW. Royal is a Lincoln SUV (for the kids), Norwegian is the quirky Jeep Wangler, go anywhere you want, do your own thing type car, and Carnival is like a Chevy Camaro convertible, It ain't no Ferrari but for many people it's a hoot to drive.:)

Celebrity is more formal and sedate than the others so if the OP's family wants that X will be fine. If they want a bit more relaxed and active atmosphere pick one of the other major lines.

As for three in a room it is doable. My 17 year old spent a cruise in our cabin. Not ideal but doable. He put up with my snoring quite well.:o

Let's equate cruiselines to car companies..We'll start with Carnival Corp & it's divisions: Carnival(Chevrolet)Princess(Pontiac)HAL(Buick)Cunard(Cadillac)P&O(Oldsmobile)Seaborne(Bentley)RCCL line & it's divisions:RCCL(Ford)Celebrity(Lincoln)Azamara(Jaguar)Silversea cruise line(Mercedes)Crystal cruiseline(Mercedes S-Class) Oceania Cruises(BMW 5 series)Regent Seven Seas(BMW 7 Series)Hapag LLoyd's 2 Europa ships(Rolls Royce)

Let's equate cruiselines to car companies..We'll start with Carnival Corp & it's divisions: Carnival(Chevrolet)Princess(Pontiac)HAL(Buick)Cunard(Cadillac)P&O(Oldsmobile)Seaborne(Bentley)RCCL line & it's divisions:RCCL(Ford)Celebrity(Lincoln)Azamara(Jaguar)Silversea cruise line(Mercedes)Crystal cruiseline(Mercedes S-Class) Oceania Cruises(BMW 5 series)Regent Seven Seas(BMW 7 Series)Hapag LLoyd's 2 Europa ships(Rolls Royce)

Great work keithm!:D

Is Azamara really a Jag to Celebrity's Lincoln? Got to take one of those for a test drive.;)

One of the definite points to Celebrity is no smoking in the casino. I really wouldn't want to fit 3 adults in a balcony room, but for 7 days anything is doable. IMHO the food on Celebrity was much better than Royal in the MDR; however, Chops Grille vastly outdid Tuscan Grille. The teens on Celebrity tend to congregate together & never seem to be too rowdy (have a good time, but not out of line).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk