Kids In Specialty Restaurants

RCCL Fan

Parents, what have you experienced?

Rules say they are welcome and to book early.

But I don't want to

a) ruin anyone else's dinner

b) stress out the wait staff with my picky eater.

Our 6 year old will be an angel. She loves fine dining, "being all fancy nancy" and will sit quietly and eat and look cute in her dress.

But we have a 1-year old, who adores food, and is the quietest when she eats because she's shoving it in. But she's prone to a squeal and a banging on the table here and there when she wants more of something.

I'm thinking nursery for her on the night we bring 6-year old to Giovanni's for her fancy date night. but wonder if you think she'd be welcome or not.

Thanks for asking, and for being concerned for other guests & the waitstaff, your consideration is appreciated!

I agree with your thoughts, probably best for the nursery for her that night.

Having said that, the "official" word from RCI is that she's welcome - they appreciate the specialty restaurant revenue from all!

I do think that squeals & banging on the table does have the potential to impact others' dining experience & enjoyment, and I also think a 1 year old isn't going to really appreciate the experience either.

I'm not sure if they have kids' prices, so the one-year-old might cost the same as an adult, although I'm sure she won't eat as much as an adult. The six-year-old sounds as though she's likely to enjoy it as much as any grown-up, though! :-)

Edited by lisiamc

I'm not sure if they have kids' prices, so the one-year-old might cost the same as an adult, although I'm sure she won't eat as much as an adult. The six-year-old sounds as though she's likely to enjoy it as much as any grow-up, though! :-)

Kids 5 and under are free. Kids 6-12 are $8. Plus there are menus for the kids.

I think your 6 year old would love it. However, I think YOU would have a much better experience if your 1 year old was in the nursery because I think you would be worried she was ruining the dining for others and you would not enjoy your dining experience as much.

You score points in my book that you'd ask about this, period.

There are plenty who'd leave it at "RCL Says kids are welcome, I'm bringing them in. Just TRY and stop me..." even for those who clearly cannot behave in a manner befitting the surroundings.

Thanks for asking about this. I agree that the one year old will be happier in the nursery. A well-behaved six year old is a joy to see and she sounds like she will, as my mother would say, "act like a lady." :)

On our last cruise on Freedom, there was a family behind us in Chops with three small children who were so well behaved I did not know they were even there until I turned around!

Have fun on fancy date night with your daughter!

On our last cruise there was a family with a young one in Chops. The little one started to cry and scream, Daddy quickly removed her from the room which was much appreciated. I think if you are prepared to take the little one outside if they get too loud it would be fine but as others said you will enjoy yourself more if you don't have to worry about it and your little one will probably like being in a more kid friendly enviornment. Sounds like your 6 yr old will enjoy the dinner and will have the added benefit of having her parents all to herself for a little while

But I don't want to

Our 6 year old will be an angel. She loves fine dining, "being all fancy nancy" and will sit quietly and eat and look cute in her dress.

But we have a 1-year old, who adores food, and is the quietest when she eats because she's shoving it in. But she's prone to a squeal and a banging on the table here and there when she wants more of something.

I'm thinking nursery for her on the night we bring 6-year old to Giovanni's for her fancy date night. but wonder if you think she'd be welcome or not.

the one YO is too young IMO.

Officially, you may dine with children at any hour( the old policy was you had to make reservations before 7 pm) and all present will be charged.

Unofficially many pax DISLIKE this change in policy and vastly prefer NO children , regardless of age, behavior or anything else past that 7 pm time frame and make their own reservations accordingly. also unofficially they may not charge the toddler and/or provide age appropriate foods. you are expected to immediately remove the disruptive child, period. not let her bang until she gets her roll.

Also you have no idea if the 6YO will be too hyped up from her awesomely exciting day to sit quietly or anything else. I have seen it happen and yes it is major distraction to the other diners.

Thank you for asking! You obviously care about passengers seated around you.

Agree that the youngest one would be better in the nursery.

We were in Giovanni's with our 6, 8, and 10 year-old grandchildren and parents. The kids are used to eating out and behaving correctly at the table. It was a very nice, successful special celebration.

One hint I wanted to pass along ...... listen to your waiter ...... or ask questions. We ordered appetizers to share, which was fine. The waiter suggested a different one for the kids ...... it was more like tiny little pizza bites, not as fancy as the ones we had ordered, and suited them exactly. Same thing with the entrees ...... he seemed to know kids well and made great suggestions as to what they would enjoy.

Your 6-year-old sounds just like my granddaughter ..... the waiter made such a fuss over her and her brothers.

The first night might be an option, too. We always take my son to specialty restaurants on ships the first night as they're less crowded and because the kids clubs are often closed on the first night. When he was younger, we would bring things to entertain him and step out if he made a fuss.

Thank all of you for the input.

My 6-year old isn't a worry in my mind. She is an angel.

She doesn't get "hyped up" and she does great in fine dining situations.

But I agree the 1 year old is likely too much.

I wanted input just to double check.

We really do want to do Giovanni's the first night, but doubt the nursery would be open. So I'll wait.

Giovanni with the wife and the 6 year old.

Chef's Table or Murder Mystery for the wife and I

If you want to go the first night, I wouldn't hesitate unless you truly believe it won't be an enjoyable experience for you and others. If it were any other night, I might suggest differently, but the first night is more casual in my opinion.

I brought my 4 n 1 year old kids to Chops , no problem. It's first night, restaurant was mostly empty anyway.

Ordered a steak from the kids menu, portion is the same as adult's. Had thought it would be smaller.

My experience was that the food is not worth it, but that's another story.

I brought my 4 n 1 year old kids to Chops , no problem. It's first night, restaurant was mostly empty anyway.

I know what to expect food/costs etc. I was more curious about the kids menu, nothing other guests and the staff.

I'm not worried about the 6-year old. but the 1 year old I think needs to go to nursery.

But I'd love to hear your experience.

But I don't want to

Sounds like you might be stressed if you bring the one year old, I probably would be . . . and may not enjoy myself as much . . .just a thought. Our son sounds just like your 6 year old. He is more well behaved in a fine dining establishment than most adults.

Enjoy your cruise.

my daughter has been eating in portofino since she was 8 months old.. she is now 3 1/2.. she is VERY well behaved, so much so to the point that other patrons around us always compliment her and us.

we did have one ahole one time make a smart comment walking in say something about oh great i have to eat next to a baby..... by the time i got done wtih him im sure he never made a comment like that again.. the topper was he was the loudest most boisterous drunk by the end of the night..

but my feeling is if the children are well mannered they should be welcome.. like i said ive seen many a drunks from there 40s to there 70's act worse on a cruise than a 17 year old...

Edited by Aintnofun007

Not aimed at anyone particular, but I'll note that it's extremely rare for a parent to actually say (or admit) that their kids weren't wonderfully behaved darlings. Despite that, the OP was one of those rare cases, despite multiple "parents of darlings" trying to talk them into taking the 1 year old despite their expressed doubts.

Sure she would be welcome. If you are booking a reservation at 5:30 and that is your normal dinnertime, then I don't see any problem at all. If you are booking at 7:00 and that is bedtime then that could be an issue. A baby's "squeal" is not going to ruin my experience. And I would expect that if she continued to squeal you would remove her from the restaurant...which does have a trickle-down effect on your evening.

If she did start to act up could you take her to the nursery then?

On our upcoming cruise we will do both Chops and Giovanni's table. Chops will be just DH and I and Giovanni's table will be us and our 2 DD's, ages 10 and 6.

I agree remembering my girls when they were 1 I looked forward to a dinner with out them around. Although they were quiet it was more work for me because I was constantly making sure they were good and entertained.

As far as the child banging at the table I wouldn't worry. Honestly, it is usually the adults around me that cause more noise and distruptions than the children. Especially drunk adults becuase then they get LOUD and that is annoying.

Maybe Royal should offer 3 or 4 hours of FREE nursery time if you have a specialty restaurant reservation. Honestly speaking here, if my child is free for dinner versus $8 an hour for the nursery, and the child is well behaved, they are coming to family dinner.

I would like to join the chorus of others for congratulating you on asking this question. This is rare among our general population... someone who is concerned about how your little ones are impacting others.

I realize you are on vacation and have every right to enjoy your vacation with your family.

That said, I am on vacation as well. I am taking a cruise on a ship that I know will have kids, so I don't expect a kid-free experience. But, I cruise at times that minimize the likelihood of kids. Its not that we don't like kids, its that we raised our kids to be respectful, polite well behaved kids. At an early age, we took our kids to a very nice restaurant, and our kids commented on the horrible behavior of other little ones that night (duck-duck-goose at a rather expensive place).

Now, it sounds like your little ones are also being raised to be well-behaved. But, as mentioned, there are lots of new things they will impact them. New exciting things, and a new schedule that can make everyone tired at times they don't expect. Kids that are amped up can be just as difficult as kids that are terribly bored or tired from a long day.

So, consider the evening at Giovanni's to be a little moment for you to enjoy an upscale evening in a nice restaurant. Get a sitter or camp for the 1 year old. Have a nice conversation with your older little lady, maybe even schedule a nap for everyone before hand.

This way, you can enjoy your evening. And, you can sit there knowing others in the restaurant and in awe at your amazing parenting skills! After everything goes great, I hope you get some amazing comments from others about that great little lady you are taking to dinner.

Enjoy.

You know your children better than anyone and know what would work best for your family. It would not bother me to have a little one squeal or bang her spoon, I would much rather hear that than some of the adults we have had to tolerate.

My all time favorite "adult" was the elderly woman who would tap tap her glass with her spoon every few minutes to get the attention of the rest of her group. This continued throughout the entire 2 hour meal. Although, in her defense, she probably felt compelled to do so as the rest of her group were extremely loud & boisterous, think "sports bar" behavior.

Sherri:)