Kids In Specialty Restaurants

RCCL Fan

Sure she would be welcome. If you are booking a reservation at 5:30 and that is your normal dinnertime, then I don't see any problem at all. If you are booking at 7:00 and that is bedtime then that could be an issue. A baby's "squeal" is not going to ruin my experience. And I would expect that if she continued to squeal you would remove her from the restaurant...which does have a trickle-down effect on your evening.

If she did start to act up could you take her to the nursery then?

a squeal WOULD ruin my husband's. he has had several surgeries on his ear and that sound is literally painful to him that lasts beyond the second or three it lasts. and I do not mean a 'I am pissed as hell ' squeal I mean a typical ' hey this is awesome and I am having a great time' squeal. something about the higher pitches/range that a child can emit just knocks him for a loop that will ruin not only the meal, but the rest of his evening. and by extension, mine for having to deal with mr grumpy.

I know what to expect food/costs etc. I was more curious about the kids menu, nothing other guests and the staff.

I'm not worried about the 6-year old. but the 1 year old I think needs to go to nursery.

But I'd love to hear your experience.

I have pondered over the same question previously. My 1 year old sat on a baby chair, was entertained with a tablet and eating his own cereal, so absolutely no problem.

Don't mean to spoil others special occasion , but as long as the kid is not running around, screaming or crying.. It's ok.

Noise wise, I tink adult tables may be boisterous after some drinks..

Maybe Royal should offer 3 or 4 hours of FREE nursery time if you have a specialty restaurant reservation. Honestly speaking here, if my child is free for dinner versus $8 an hour for the nursery, and the child is well behaved, they are coming to family dinner.

does ANY upscale shore side restaurant offer this? then why should a cruise line do so? it is a choice to spend the star money for a specialty and the rest of the pax should not be expected to subsidize your meal by depriving someone else who is willing pay for the nursery spot.

I have two daughters (aged 10 and 1) and agree with most people here. I would leave my one year old in the nursery. Even though she is sometimes well behaved at dinner, it isn't worth the stress and the potential for her ruining our meal as well as bothering others around us. We treat the specialty restaurants as an "adult night" anyway so even though I wouldn't worry about our older daughter's behavior, we probably wouldn't take her either.

does ANY upscale shore side restaurant offer this? then why should a cruise line do so? it is a choice to spend the star money for a specialty and the rest of the pax should not be expected to subsidize your meal by depriving someone else who is willing pay for the nursery spot.

A ship isn't a shore side restaurant.

Royal Caribbean invites children in.

Other cruise lines are starting to offer free nursery programs for ages 6 months and above.

It is my opinion only that it would be nice if Royal offered the option of free nursery care with a paid specialty restaurant reservation. I didn't say they must offer it, or demand it. I was only being honest in saying that if my child was well behaved I'd take them to the restaurant for free versus paying for nursery care. If they aren't being well behaved or can't handle the situation, I'm not going to subject myself, my wife, my child, or fellow guests to a miserable experience.

Edited by LMaxwell

Not aimed at anyone particular, but I'll note that it's extremely rare for a parent to actually say (or admit) that their kids weren't wonderfully behaved darlings. Despite that, the OP was one of those rare cases, despite multiple "parents of darlings" trying to talk them into taking the 1 year old despite their expressed doubts.

i sure hope you are a model cruiser to live in such a glass house.. and to say parents are "talking" them into bringing there kids is a joke.. they pay the same money you pay, if the kids are well behaved they should not be deprived of a dinner together, just because some old crotchy person "raised there kids already" and dont want to have to be around kids anymore.

i have come across way more rude, drunk, sloppy adults on cruises than kids..

Not aimed at anyone particular, but I'll note that it's extremely rare for a parent to actually say (or admit) that their kids weren't wonderfully behaved darlings. Despite that, the OP was one of those rare cases, despite multiple "parents of darlings" trying to talk them into taking the 1 year old despite their expressed doubts.

Not sure at 1 year old there is a matter of "wonderfully behaved darlings" -- any perceived "behavior" problems would be directly related to the fact that they have limited means of communication . . . they are 1 year old. LOL

a squeal WOULD ruin my husband's. he has had several surgeries on his ear and that sound is literally painful to him that lasts beyond the second or three it lasts. and I do not mean a 'I am pissed as hell ' squeal I mean a typical ' hey this is awesome and I am having a great time' squeal. something about the higher pitches/range that a child can emit just knocks him for a loop that will ruin not only the meal, but the rest of his evening. and by extension, mine for having to deal with mr grumpy.

Well that is unfortunate. How do you handle this situation in a restaurant when not cruising on the high seas?

• 2 weeks later...
Kids 5 and under are free. Kids 6-12 are $8. Plus there are menus for the kids.

Bob, when I pre-book my reservation online, they are charging full price for the kids (either one). Any idea if that pricing still exists?

(I'm only bringing the 6-year old, but i saw no price difference even if i added the 1-year old)

Wondering if I should book it with the kids so they're on the reservation, and just get credited later, or wait and book onboard.

Bob, when I pre-book my reservation online, they are charging full price for the kids (either one). Any idea if that pricing still exists?

(I'm only bringing the 6-year old, but i saw no price difference even if i added the 1-year old)

Wondering if I should book it with the kids so they're on the reservation, and just get credited later, or wait and book onboard.

As far as I know, the children's pricing is still in effect. I'd call Royal to book. Could be the website is having a rare problem.

i just booked a few days ago. i called royal and they said you'll get there money back in OBC for the kids..

Edited by Aintnofun007

Parents, what have you experienced?

Rules say they are welcome and to book early.

But I don't want to

a) ruin anyone else's dinner

But we have a 1-year old, who adores food, and is the quietest when she eats because she's shoving it in. But she's prone to a squeal and a banging on the table here and there when she wants more of something.

Officially she is welcome and will not be turned away. But the second she inevitably starts squealing or banging on the table, other diners are going to be gritting their teeth, and praying that the waiters say something to you. The waiters of course, will NOT say anything to you, because they won't want to tick you off and jeopardize their tip. Instead they will grit their teeth and pray that you take her out of the restaurant on your own. ;)

Thanks again for your extremely considerate approach to this, hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise! If we're ever on the same cruise, first drink is on us!

Yes, called RCI, it appears the only way to do it, is like the previous poster said, book, pay full price, and get cash back at an OBC. Or wait and take your chances onboard with finding your reservation.

I appreciate all the kind remarks about being considerate, and even the ones, that seem to say "go away"

Let me simply say this.

Kids are little people. Little people who follow the examples and rules set by their parents.

I'm not going to apologize for having kids, and for bringing them on a plane, in a restaurant, etc. Kids are a part of life, and when you choose to go to a restaurant, on a cruise, etc, you have to know that they are not kids free zones. That includes the restaurants.

My 6-year old daughter won't disturb you, I won't stand for it. I'm not going to sit there and let her misbehave and disturb others. She knows better. The 1-year old won't be there, she's really well behaved, but we'll wait. She's just one!

I realize all parents aren't like me, but don't judge all the kids based on some of the bad apples.

:-)

I'm another parent of a child who was raised to behave appropriately in restaurants at a really young age.

My son (who will be 15yo next week) has been removed from a restaurant exactly twice in his life for being disruptive -- once at six weeks old (obviously not behavior that needed to be corrected at that age), and once at 19 months old (he had a timeout in the car for a while with one parent, then returned to the restaurant after he had calmed down).

He has NEVER again been disruptive in a restaurant setting -- he has always known that he can and WILL be removed if his behavior is inappropriate. Yes, even very young children can understand this concept. He has always enjoyed dining out and views it as a treat (even though we do it quite often) and he doesn't want to do anything to jeopardize his privileges.

Several years ago we were at the local Carrabba's restaurant, DS was maybe 8-9yo. The manager approached the table and offered DS a free dessert to congratulate him on his history of exemplary behavior in their facility. Even though we only eat there maybe four times a year, the staff all remembered my son and wanted to reward him for looking the server in the face when ordering his own food (which he's been doing since he was 4yo), using a "big boy" voice when ordering instead of mumbling, saying "please" for requests and "thank you" for service rendered, using a napkin appropriately, pushing his chair in when leaving after the meal, etc.

Such a shame that what would be normally-expected public behavior twenty years ago is now rewarded for being "unicorn rare" behavior in this day and age. Kids can and will learn and exhibit proper behavior and manners at an extremely young age, provided that their parents teach and model and reinforce the expected behaviors. When my son was 3yo he leaned over and whispered in my ear that a man at another table was being rude because he didn't remove his ballcap while seated in the restaurant. He knew that wearing a hat indoors was inappropriate, and he knew that pointing out the man's rudeness out loud was also inappropriate. Three years old. Yes, it can be done.

While I am no stranger to parents who think their child is a "perfect little Sammy Snowflake Angel who does no wrong" when the child is actually a holy terror, I have no doubt that the OP's 6yo will indeed exhibit better manners than a significant number of adults in a "fancy nancy" dining situation. I base this opinion on the fact that the OP's comments don't indicate to me the tendency to be a "helicopter parent" (which is where Sammy Snowflakes come from) but rather an inclination to be a responsible, involved parent who believes in raising contributing members of society rather than selfish little heathens.

The fact that the OP is even considering the comfort of other guests and is willing to incur significant expense in order to safeguard that comfort level for perfect strangers is a pretty good indicator of the OP's feelings of responsibility and good intentions.

I appreciate all the kind remarks about being considerate, and even the ones, that seem to say "go away"

Let me simply say this.

Kids are little people. Little people who follow the examples and rules set by their parents.

I'm not going to apologize for having kids, and for bringing them on a plane, in a restaurant, etc. Kids are a part of life, and when you choose to go to a restaurant, on a cruise, etc, you have to know that they are not kids free zones. That includes the restaurants.

My 6-year old daughter won't disturb you, I won't stand for it. I'm not going to sit there and let her misbehave and disturb others. She knows better. The 1-year old won't be there, she's really well behaved, but we'll wait. She's just one!

I realize all parents aren't like me, but don't judge all the kids based on some of the bad apples.

:-)

good post.. although many on here hear the word child and your banished!!!