Specialty Restaurant WITHOUT a reservation

On our last cruise on the Vision the CHOPS Manager explained to us that the capacity of the Cooks in the Kitchen is 20 meals every 30 minutes.

This is why the Specialty Restaurants start out with so many empty tables.

On the Vision, they make reservations for people to arrive 20 at a time every 30 minutes to accommodate the kitchen capacity.

So if you walk up to a specialty restaurant and see empty tables but are told they are fully booked, it is because of the ability of the kitchen staff to produce meals, not the number of empty tables.

Has anyone had any experience just showing up at a specialty reservation without a reservation? If so, did you have any problem getting seated right away?

I don't think I have ever seen them full.

We've done it an Izumi several times.

We have found it hard to book Chops or Giovanni's unless you make reservations ahead of time. We met several people who tried to book once onboard and were told all times were booked. I think just walking up might work though because not everyone will show up for their times. Good luck and let us know how it worked for you, please. I always gave up when they said no times available.

We have always been able to make reservations once onboard, but I imagine that, with more people pre-booking, we may run into trouble at some point. I've never tried to walk up to Chops or GT, but Izumi was n problem on Serenade or Rhapsody, the only ships. I've sailed on that have it.

No and yes.

We have had some success in making a last minute decision and walking in. We have also called shortly before we wished to dine and had no problem getting a reservation.

On one cruise a few years ago we always saw that Chops was very empty and decided late one afternoon, as we were enjoying the sunset out on deck, to just show up at dinner @7:30- 8:00. Well, that was the one night that they had booked a private party so we enjoyed the Windjammer.

Always have a backup plan!