did we make a mistake booking early?

trish1c

We usually book late & now I'm kicking myself for booking early.

We sail in 2 weeks. IV & balcony prices dropped substantially. Our minisuite (MX) went up but the perks are huge now: Free UDP, UBP and $50 OBC. I did the math & it's about $1,000 in savings. Even if you back out the higher current cost of our cabin, it's still $400 different.

I have an e-mail into our TA. Although I have used this company before, this individual is not on top of stuff & I don't think she's a good advocate.

I know I can't call NCL because they will tell me I have a TA & to go through her.

Any suggestions as to how I can feel better about our decision to book early?

It's all about supply and demand...and unsold cabins. Some cruises go down, some cruises go up in price. This is the question....do you have the schedule flexibility to always wait until the last minute to shop for cruises. If you can, then yes, wait and take a chance that there will be a cruise that you are interested in with cabins available and the cabins are ones you like. Also, you are taking a chance that the prices have not gone down, but up. No correct answer for when to book that fits everyone's needs. However, again, last minute price drops do happen.

And, I might add, for everyone that has a story of how the prices dropped after final payment, there is an equal number of persons who can say, "wow, glad I booked early. The cruise price has gone way up since I did". That's our story on our last two cruises.

Edited by roger001

We sail in 2 weeks. IV & balcony prices dropped substantially. Our minisuite (MX) went up but the perks are huge now: Free UDP, UBP and $50 OBC. I did the math & it's about $1,000 in savings. Even if you back out the higher current cost of our cabin, it's still $400 different.

I have an e-mail into our TA. Although I have used this company before, this individual is not on top of stuff & I don't think she's a good advocate.

I know I can't call NCL because they will tell me I have a TA & to go through her.

I thought mini suites got to choose one of the choices? You say you can get all three?

It's all about supply and demand...and unsold cabins. Some cruises go down, some cruises go up in price. This is the question....do you have the schedule flexibility to always wait until the last minute to shop for cruises. If you can, then yes, wait and take a chance that there will be a cruise that you are interested in with cabins available and the cabins are ones you like. Also, you are taking a chance that the prices have not gone down, but up. No correct answer for when to book that fits everyone's needs. However, again, last minute price drops do happen.

Very true!! The price really came down on the family suites for our cruise last week, we were able to upgrade from a mini suite to a family suite with balcony!! I was happy with the price. (would have been happier with the higher OBC, UDP and UBP, LOL), but such is life.

Edited by pathubia
spelling

You were happy with the price of your cruise when you booked it. Focus on that.

Also as others have mentioned, your cabin category is only eligible for one of the promotional items, not all three.

So the price differential isn't as substantial as you thought.

Edited by Cubechick

You were happy with the price of your cruise when you booked it. Focus on that.

Also as others have mentioned, your cabin category is only eligible for one of the promotional items, not all three.

So the price differential isn't as substantial as you thought.

And you get the extra Latitudes points for booking early.

I think you'll have an issue with being well past final payment. I doubt whether NCL would refund any of your original fare if you cancel and rebook, so you're really stuck. The best you could do, is tack on the UDP and UDP and chalk it up to experience.;)

I feel a little better knowing its 1 of the 3 not all 3 so the savings isn't as great.

We didn't book early enough to get double latitudes points.

I have seen prices go nuts in both directions but we don't generally care what ship we sail. I want the best bargain. Surprisingly the airfare has remained static too.

I'll see what the TA comes up with. I've gotten some low level perks through them in the past. There is just something about this woman, it's a feeling but she's not the on the ball TA I have grown used to from this company. We'll see what happens when she comes into work later today.

I think it will be hopeless because I just tried to mock book to see how much business sense it makes for NCL to make me happy & we seem to be sailing close to full so . . . :(

Another factor up and rears it head - you are now in the Cancellation Penalty

Zone and can not Cancel and Rebook the cruise without losing what you have paid !

Less than 14 days before cruising the Penalty is 100%.

"DO 'NOT' CANCEL AND REBOOK" ! Try for an upgrade

If you have a competent TA perhaps see about Upgrading to a higher cabin

category to get at least one or more of the Promos OBC UDP UBP paying the

difference between cabin upgrades. Worth a shot or a chance but it did not

work out well for me - I fell in the same Promo trap rates went down and

Benes (Promos) increased and I am already in a suite and the only upgrade

was out of site (the Garden Villa). Only consolation is I did get the cabin I

wanted. I could have saved over $2500 - so close but no cigar !

Yes it is what it is a rotten deal for those that book near sailing time but

are still out of the further discounted fare with the added Promos some of

which are worth a grand or more (UBP) !

Like some have posted take it with a grain of salt - and sail away with what

you have - live and learn.

NCL is running a business trying to fill the ship but in the process is not very

conducive to keeping already booked customers happy and pleased.

The situation is getting as bad if not worse than the airlines where no two seats

on an airplane are paying the same fare. It is a ruthless world out there - one

common fare is paid by no one !

We occasionally book 9-10 months out. Occasionally the price goes below what we paid, but not often. Even with current sales and promotions, we are still paying less for our March cruise than people who are booking now.

You really just never know. As others have said, if a cruise isn't selling well, they may drop the price. You just never know.

Call your TA and ask what can be offered. It never hurts to ask. Check what the next higher category cabin is priced at and maybe you can move to a higher category.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by mizlorinj

I do realize that it's after the final payment date & into the cancellation penalty phase. One of the reasons I know that is this was the 1st time I ever booked outside of that window.

I also realize they are running a business with "perishable" goods. Once the ship sails, empty cabins are lost revenue but these marketing ploys make me less inclined to book early in the future.

If a cruiseline wants loyalty, they ought to extend some.

It seems to me that they'd make more money & have a more predictable revenue stream by offering perks like free UDP & UBP for early bookers, then dropping the cabin prices for later reservations. The ship makes money on the extras like alcohol so I don't see the business sense behind giving that away for free late in the game. All it seems to do is annoy those of us who booked early & now can't get that perk.

Edited by trish1c

Our minisuite (MX) went up...Any suggestions as to how I can feel better about our decision to book early?

Yes. You got the cabin you wanted and it's now more expensive than when you booked. Good for you for booking early.

I booked last March for my cruise Feb 22 and have also regretted it and won't do it again. I've not heard of extra Latitude awards for early booking. That would make me feel somewhat better. How does that work? Do you have to request them or is it automatic?

I booked last March for my cruise Feb 22 and have also regretted it and won't do it again. I've not heard of extra Latitude awards for early booking. That would make me feel somewhat better. How does that work? Do you have to request them or is it automatic?

It is an extra point per day if you booked 9 months out and is automatically added to your latitude account after the cruise. So if you booked a non-suite cabin for a 7 day cruise at least 9 months before the cruise, you will get 14 points. Add another point per day if you book a full suite

Pizzalady explained the extra latitudes points.

With NCL especially I don't know people who are happy they booked early.

I also looked at some other NCL cruises. I'm seeing OV rooms for $429 pp with UBP. How does NCL make money on that? Are they on the verge of going out of business?

Edited by trish1c

I must be the odd man out. I always book as early as I can and ALWAYS found the price to be the cheapest up to sailing...even with the bene's they throw in if I was to do the match after they raise the rates...

Hey I'm happy to be proven wrong. I want to be happy with my choice but I'm just not.

I'm trying to tell myself I tried different things this time but . . . . grrrr.

TA gets in at 4:00. Maybe she can make me happier but she's probably just going to tell me the cabin price went up, there's nothing she can do.

Pizzalady explained the extra latitudes points.

With NCL especially I don't know people who are happy they booked early.

I also looked at some other NCL cruises. I'm seeing OV rooms for $429 pp with UBP. How does NCL make money on that? Are they on the verge of going out of business?

Well, I ALWAYS book early and have never,ever,ever,ever had a price drop on NCL or on any other cruise line.

Our present bookings have gone up 1000 pp for one trip, 850 pp for the other ( averaging the 4 of us)- that is a LOT of money!

Summer suite prices are going crazy on NCL- even with the 3 incentives that would be included we have saved a bunch of money by booking 11 months and 9 months out.

We don't have the luxury of booking last minute. We need to know that we get the accommodations that fit our needs. And I doubt that NCL is on the verge of going out of business- not ALL rooms are 429pp! ( excuse me- cabins-not rooms!) Many more sources of revenue on board to make up for these loss-leaders.

Maxi

It seems to me that they'd make more money & have a more predictable revenue stream by offering perks like free UDP & UBP for early bookers, then dropping the cabin prices for later reservations. The ship makes money on the extras like alcohol so I don't see the business sense behind giving that away for free late in the game. All it seems to do is annoy those of us who booked early & now can't get that perk.

It seems to me that NCL probably employs some folks with business degrees from some fine universities, who calculate the best way to increase revenue for NCL.

When you cruise or fly, there will be people who paid more than you, and people who paid less. I always book way ahead to get the exact cabins we want, and so far, prices have always gone up. When the kids are grown, we can take advantage of last minute price drops and incentives, because we are 20 minutes from NYC. However, until then, we book more than a year in advance.

OP: you are not asking so much about booking "early" as about waiting until the last minute, after final payment, and taking your chances there. Some folks are content to do that, and can just drop everything and go when they find a good deal after final payment. Others need to schedule time off from work, etc. and need to do that in advance. Booking at the last minute might also involve much higher air travel costs (if one is flying to or from the port).

When you book "early," you have a better cabin selection and a better chance to select the cabin you really want, as opposed to what might be left over. That's important to me, but not to everyone.

There's no one-size-fits-all way of doing things here. You do what works best for you.

Enjoy your cruise!