What's the attraction of The Hot Glass show!

scifimonkey

We have sailed on the Silouhette and the Equinox and prefer the Equinox because of the Hot Glass Show. I go early to talk to the artists and stay late to look at their art. Since I do most of the cooking at home, I have no interest in The Lawn Club Grill. I'm on vacation.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't really enjoy the hot glass show either. I tried to watch it once; it was like watching paint dry. Maybe I just hit an exceptionally slow part of the show, but nothing much happened for about 20 minutes. They weren't even blowing any glass.

However, I fully appreciate that others like it and I hope they don't do away with this free venue for another for-pay restaurant.

I also think all the grass area is very underutilized; seldom see anyone using it.

I am sure that they are very talented folk just from the responses here but what is the nature of the art they create? is it contemporary in line with the Modern luxury branding or is it the traditional glass animals and fluted vases in line with much of the art work ( and all of the framing) sold on board.

Each artist has their own style, and each continue to evolve. It's part of why each show is different. The normal setup is to have the artists rotate between making a piece, assisting, and being on the microphone to talk the audience through the process and taking questions. On the Eclipse they also did a night show, where the DJ played music while all 3 glass artists worked together to create one huge piece. When hot, the glass is molten, although you can see variations in color. The next day when you return you can seethe finished product where the true colors show themselves. The large vase that was made during the show we watched was a stunning blue and green on the outside, but pure white on the inside. Gorgeous!

I can't tell you how excited I am to be sailing on the Eclipse next month and to be able to watch the glass blowing shows!! On the Silhouette in June we finished in Venice and DH and I took the vaporetta to Murano specifically to see a demo...which we both thought was amazing!! In September we're taking the Solstice to Alaska and will spend a couple days in Seattle pre-cruise with our main focus on seeing the Chihuly exhibit while there! I find it a simply amazing talent and am so looking forward to seeing as many demos as possible!! Guess you could say I'm hooked:D

Cathy

Well clearly on the balance of views expressed here it will be a worthwhile experience at least for this first time. I am sure that they are very talented folk just from the responses here but what is the nature of the art they create? is it contemporary in line with the Modern luxury branding or is it the traditional glass animals and fluted vases in line with much of the art work ( and all of the framing) sold on board.

I come from a visual arts background and therefore may well appreciate and even purchase contemporary peices, especially as we are out of Southampton this time so shipping is less of an issue, however if it is very trad I will appreciate the craftsmanship but happily donate any windfall to cruisestitch.

We've purchased 3 pieces from the auctions at the end of 3 of our cruises.

They are all beautiful, large, contemporary pieces that were wrapped carefully so we could transport them home. (Once was from Australia with 2 connecting flights.)

Below are 2 of them. The picture is deceiving - they're about 18 inches tall each.

Glass.jpg.d02ac1d055e76a9bbd85e8615c92e0d2.jpg

Edited by chamima

We have sailed on the Silouhette and the Equinox and prefer the Equinox because of the Hot Glass Show. I go early to talk to the artists and stay late to look at their art. Since I do most of the cooking at home, I have no interest in The Lawn Club Grill. I'm on vacation.

I just want to correct the mistaken idea that some folks have that you must cook your own food at the Lawn Club Grill. Absolutely NOT true, and I'd say most folks we observed were not doing so. I am not a cook, I don't cook at home and I'm not about to cook on vacation, and I was hesitant about eating at the LCG because there's so much talk on here about grilling your own food. No need to, don't let that deter you. The folks are happy to have you just sit there and eat!

Great service, great food, no cooking by passengers required! :)

You do not have to cook your own, you are invited to if you wish!!!

I would not dream of it as I am quite capable of burning a boiled egg, but my son made our flat bread starter under the helpful and watchful tuition of the staff and thoroughly enjoyed himself. (it actually turned out pretty well).

Otherwise its like any other restaurant but in this particular case the enjoyment comes from the quality of the food delivered in a very informal environment by what IMHO on our last cruise on Silhouette was the best team of people on the ship. I have also had better steaks in the Lawn Club grille than anywhere else on Silhouette.

I look forward to the Glass Show after all the positive reviews on this post but I will definitely miss the Lawn Club grille.

We've purchased 3 pieces from the auctions at the end of 3 of our cruises.

They are all beautiful, large, contemporary pieces that were wrapped carefully so we could transport them home. (Once was from Australia with 2 connecting flights.)

Below are 2 of them. The picture is deceiving - they're about 18 inches tall each.

Thanks for the pictures Karen, not a flute or animal in sight, fabulous, am much more enthusiastic now despite the loss of my steak!:)

I love the hot glass show and while I've never been lucky enough to win a piece - we have purchased two exceptional pieces at the auction. I'd be sad to see them removed for more restaurant space. Living in Florida we have our own pool and have no desire to lay about on sea days - going to the glass show is so enjoyable to us.

We enjoyed the Corning Glass Show on the Equinox immensely! My wife sat in the front row mesmerized for almost three hours and was thrilled to pieces when she won a vase that had been blown that evening in the raffle.

We found that it was the best evening entertainment of our cruise and what is more, no one passed judgment on how folks were dressed!;)

After several visits to the Corning Glass Museum and each time missed the glass shows there, we were delighted to see the performances on the Solstice. I went to several shows on both Solstice cruises - different artists creating incredible works before your eyes and explaining the techniques as they go. These young folks putting on the shows are true artisans. One learns very quickly to brink a pillow, or folded blanket, to sit on - unless of course you have plenty of padding!

Very disappointed our upcoming Silhouette cruise will not have the glass show; we chose the ship due to the itinerary. I see little need for another extra charge restaurant on the "S" ships.

My wife and I really enjoy the glass shows. While it's usually the same show each time, it's never the same (if that makes any sense). What they're able to accomplish is fascinating to us. You're sitting just a few feet from master artisans plying their trade. And if you're lucky, the raffles make for great souvenirs. The Equinox shows in the Med were sometimes sparsely attended due to weather, but on Eclipse in the Caribbean, most of the shows were SRO, so they're obviously entertaining to enough folks.

Food can be had anywhere. Artistry - especially a hot glass shop - not so much. In other words, don't knock it til you try it.

Have been lucky enough to travel on Reflection & Eclipse last year.. As my granddaughter was 4 on the Reflection cruise I booked a cabana(incorrect name but it is what we called it) for the day. It was lovely there and we had a good time but very quiet and this was August. Then went on Eclipse in October and found the Hot Glass Show. It was fantastic! Really looking forward to seeing it again this August. For me there is no completion preferred glass show. The show was always busy with people. We went a good few times. Unfortunately unable to attend all due to timings. If you get the chance go.

It's a one time thing. Fine for the first cruise, but no reason to revisit it on subsequent cruises.

I am in complete agreement. Works as a first time unique experience. After that though , meh. But on the other hand, if the space is not used for the glass show then how many more extra charge dining venues do they need to pack onto the ship? Maybe we all need to get our creative minds working on suggesting other options.

• 1 month later...

This past weekend we visited the Corning Museum of Glass. The hot glass demonstration was being performed by someone in training for a Celebrity Cruise ship. We were told that a gas furnace which burns at a higher temperature is typically used for hot blown glass, however, the ships and the Corning Museum's demonstration use electric furnaces.

It's a one time thing. Fine for the first cruise, but no reason to revisit it on subsequent cruises.

Each to his/her own, :)

While you'll never catch me at a big production type show in the theatre, I love, love, the hot glass show, & attend as often as possible :)

Last cruise on the Silhouette, no glass show, & I really missed it, when it came time to book my next cruise, there were two itineraries I really liked, chose the one on an S class with the hot glass show, rather than on the Reflection... of course the Blu situation on Reflection factored into my decision too.

No issues, variety is fine. But when they take away a free activity replace it with a free activity. That's all I'm saying. Nothing against the restaurant but it is in place of what used to be a free activity. Even if glass blowing was not for me there is now less to do for free and more to do that costs. I'll repeat, not a good trend.

enjoy

At least they still have the free midnight buffet, right? :D

I am booked on Silhouette and wish they had the hot glass on board....high level technique in any skill is amazing to see especially one where the medium is dangerous to work with.

It really depends on your view of watching "masters" of the craft create beautiful large glass sculptures in front of you. If you appreciate their talent and skills working with a very difficult material, then the glass shows are wonderful.

If you could care less....then you will view it as wasted space on the ship. Personally, I would go out of my way to book a cruise with the glass shows...these are incredibly talented folks who always surprise with what they can produce.

I'm sure it's different strokes for different folks. Personally, I'd be very unhappy if they eliminated the glass shows.

Reflection in 2013, Equinox in 2014, so we have been to both.

Lawn Club Grill is our favorite speciality, due to the food quality, not the venue or presentation.

Watching the glass show was ok, a second time would be like watching a movie again. Ok, the wifester wonders why I watch 'It's a Wonderful Life' yr after yr:D

Neither venue adds to determining which ship we sail on.

For my husband, it's a win-win. He loves the Lawn Club Grill and the glass show.

Me? I'm a tad ADD on a cruise.

I only last about 5 minutes for the glass show but gladly stay for the entire meal at the Grill.

I also watch It's a Wonderful Life over and over (amongst other great movies) so I guess I'm not that ADD.:eek:

We have 2 beautiful pieces from the glass show.:)

We enjoyed the presentation. For us also, 15-20 minutes was sufficient, and at least the way it's presented, if you leave after 15/20 minutes, it's no big deal. THe last day of the cruise they auctioned off the pieces made during our sailing and the $$$ went to charity. I'd rather spend a little time watching something like this then climbing a rock wall or riding in a bumper car. But......different strokes for different folks!

Well clearly on the balance of views expressed here it will be a worthwhile experience at least for this first time. I am sure that they are very talented folk just from the responses here but what is the nature of the art they create? is it contemporary in line with the Modern luxury branding or is it the traditional glass animals and fluted vases in line with much of the art work ( and all of the framing) sold on board.

I come from a visual arts background and therefore may well appreciate and even purchase contemporary peices, especially as we are out of Southampton this time so shipping is less of an issue, however if it is very trad I will appreciate the craftsmanship but happily donate any windfall to cruisestitch.

They produce a variety of items. We treasure the large dish we watched and photographed being made and then purchased it the auction at the end of the cruise. It made a memorable 40th wedding anniversary present to ourselves which has immaculate [photographic] provenance!

The glass artists produce a variety of items, however the focus is on the process of creation rather than the creations themselves. We really enjoyed the glass shows and attended a good few shows on our last cruise on Eclipse. They sometimes raffle a piece or two at the end of the show and we were fortunate enough to win a couple of the raffled pieces - a couple of glass bowls (both very different styles). The glass artists have their favourite type of pieces (one liked making ornamental glass teapots and he made a couple on our cruise). Technically they aren't allowed to sell the pieces, but they auction around six pieces on the last sea day with proceeds going to charity.