Late Departures

cruiselvr1

"Stuff" happens on any cruise & it's not limited to any one cruise line. Just because it's being posted more on CC doesn't mean there's a big increase in delays.

My question is what we have seen on departures, tonight the Star left SF at least 2 hours late, the Grand, and the Crown left San Pedro late on recnt cruises. They are the only ports that I have been watching, and I know Princess departs from other ports. Since those are usually the ports we depart, we are curious.

Yeah What's with that. I just got an e mail saying our cruise out of Buenos Aires has been delayed one hour which means we will have one hour less in Montevideo. Our whole cruise is ruined lol.

i'm going to recheck, but think our Montevideo call got extended an hour also. we do have 2 sea days next, or is it 1? whatever, so what's an hour or 2.

i'm already starting to relax completely, oh wait come back new :D

Cruises often leave late. Doesn't matter the ship or line. This is nothing new or unusual. The sail time is not guaranteed. So many things can delay sailing: passengers on EZ Air arriving late, slow baggage handling, medical emergency, delayed disembarkation of the previous cruise, Harbormaster scheduling, the need for another ship to sail before your ship can leave the dock, the list is endless. Usually, the delay is just an hour or two and the time can be made up. The good news is that if passengers are delayed arriving at port, they will try to make sure they don't miss the ship.

The less time a ship is docked or anchored, the less port fees Princess has to pay. They don't delay sailing if they can help it since it costs them a lot of money. Always, follow the money.

Unless camera is broke..

the STAR is still in port.

Based on a new thread the Star's delay is due to a dockworker slowdown :(

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2150635

Star Princess Still In Port

Just off the Star this morning and can see that the Star Princess is still in SF.. Talked to crew member and was told another slow down by the dock workers.. Lots of people upset..

Edited by Astro Flyer

Yeah What's with that. I just got an e mail saying our cruise out of Buenos Aires has been delayed one hour which means we will have one hour less in Montevideo. Our whole cruise is ruined lol.

Perhaps you should read this review from Sailorjack. It describes his experiences on Norwegian Dream leaving Montevideo.:):)

My question is what we have seen on departures, tonight the Star left SF at least 2 hours late, the Grand, and the Crown left San Pedro late on recent cruises. They are the only ports that I have been watching, and I know Princess departs from other ports. Since those are usually the ports we depart, we are curious.

Interestingly (is that a word?), I know why the Grand and the Crown were late leaving...I was on both of them.

The Grand was because suitcases fell into the harbor and had to be retrieved from the bottom (our 2 suitcases were among them, there was no general announcement, so other pax were not aware).

The Crown was for law enforcement to find, handcuff and remove 2 other pax (we saw one of them being led off the ship) and also saw on another thread that a crew member was taken off in an ambulance shortly before the gangway was pulled in.

The Star was 6 hours late leaving San Francisco on Dec 19th due to the dock workers. Most everyone was ticked off because they missed sailing under the Golden Gate bridge at sunset. It sailed after 11pm. If this dock worker dispute continues Princess should consider hiring someone else to load the ship. BTW I did hand write a letter to the port authority but I don't expect a reply.

The Star was 6 hours late leaving San Francisco on Dec 19th due to the dock workers. Most everyone was ticked off because they missed sailing under the Golden Gate bridge at sunset. It sailed after 11pm. If this dock worker dispute continues Princess should consider hiring someone else to load the ship. BTW I did hand write a letter to the port authority but I don't expect a reply.
Very simple: they can't hire anyone else to load the ship. It's unionized. While I can understand that people would be disappointed, it's silly to be ticked off due to something out of Princess' control. Heck, they could have sailed on time, as I did, and still not be able to see the bridge due to rain/mist/low clouds.

:) Pam

My question is what we have seen on departures, tonight the Star left SF at least 2 hours late, the Grand, and the Crown left San Pedro late on recnt cruises. They are the only ports that I have been watching, and I know Princess departs from other ports. Since those are usually the ports we depart, we are curious.

Our Nov 10th cruise on the Golden last year (2014) out of San Pedro had to set some sort of record for late departures. We were supposed to sail at 4:00pm, but did not leave the docks in San Pedro until 6:30am the next morning. It was a real downer, falling asleep and waking up to a view of the same sea container on the dock outside our balcony.

John

Our Nov 10th cruise on the Golden last year (2014) out of San Pedro had to set some sort of record for late departures. We were supposed to sail at 4:00pm, but did not leave the docks in San Pedro until 6:30am the next morning. It was a real downer, falling asleep and waking up to a view of the same sea container on the dock outside our balcony.

John

Make that a tie ;). The Golden did the exact same thing on her 9/28/14 departure from San Pedro. We were told it was due to mechanical issues. Rumors, of course, were to the contrary.

Very simple: they can't hire anyone else to load the ship. It's unionized. While I can understand that people would be disappointed, it's silly to be ticked off due to something out of Princess' control. Heck, they could have sailed on time, as I did, and still not be able to see the bridge due to rain/mist/low clouds.

:) Pam

Pam your right about the unions being at fault, and the city will not help. I disagree about getting upset. You paid for a cruise, not sitting at a dock for hours, because a bunch idiots decide not to do their job. I agree it's not Princess fault, but it's time to decide if going to SF is worth the hassle.

Yes - dock workers slowdown. My businese has shipments delayed weeks coming thru Los Angeles. Many companies had switched shipments to come thru San Francisco to avoid the slowdown. So dock workers found out and exoanded their slowdown to SF. And of course, the more it costs companies, inconveniences travelers, etc. the more they are getting what they want...

We were about an hour late leaving Fort Lauderdale on the Caribbean Princess two weeks ago. They had some computer problems that delayed embarkation for some passengers. The muster drill was also delayed. We were doing that cruise back to back with the previous one and did not have to go to the muster drill, so it did not affect us much other than having to call my mother-in-law to let her know not to look for us on the webcam until later.