stressing over ifly, how do they check your within weight limits?

missmad

Hello,

I wonder what the PRECISE instruction to the weigher is. A young female removed an enormous backpack  that could have held not only the kitchen sink but the whole kitchen, utility room and their appliances in order to be weighed. Once weighed, she put the backpack back on and entered the North Star.

Regards,

Cublet

8 hours ago, easyqueasy said:

I’ve heard that on the Northstar, one person even 5 pounds over the weight limit was denied while their spouse was over 100 pounds under got on at the time. You’d think they’d average them as it’ll be under the overall weight limit, but they don’t. I guess it’ll be a goal for that person to make weight next time. 

It's not about the total weight on it.  For Northstar.  It's about the evacuation equipment which has a weight limit.  It's a harness system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did Odyssey ifly late November. They weigh you. My husband, under 6 ft tall, was 4 lbs over the weight limit. He was not allowed to fly. They gave him a refund. Weird thing, if he had been over 6 ft tall, his weight/height would've allowed him to fly. So it's got to be some ratio thing. They were very discrete about it when they told him.

16 hours ago, easyqueasy said:

I’ve heard that on the Northstar, one person even 5 pounds over the weight limit was denied while their spouse was over 100 pounds under got on at the time. You’d think they’d average them as it’ll be under the overall weight limit, but they don’t. I guess it’ll be a goal for that person to make weight next time. 

Weight Limit on Northstar is for Emergency Equipment and Harness if they had to lower you down if it was stuck up position. Havent heard about this happening in long time though remember once or twice on some the earlier Cruises yrs ago they did have to lower some Passengers

Edited by ONECRUISER

3 hours ago, Cigar King said:

If I were anywhere close to the limit, I would pass.  Especially later in the cruise where I might have put on some weight.

Agree, lot of Amusement Park Rides same. Along with safety issues it could make for a tight uncomfortable fit. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BuFFETS Time said:

I'm going to skip Northstar (not because of weight limit but just because it doesn't seem worth it for me). Anyone love doing it? 

We have done it several times, but only the “free” rides. Why wouldn’t you at least try it?  We have done everything on all of the ships we have been on at least once.

5 hours ago, BuFFETS Time said:

I'm going to skip Northstar (not because of weight limit but just because it doesn't seem worth it for me). Anyone love doing it? 

I hate heights and loved the NorthStar in Alaska (especially over the port towns, you really got a great view).

6 hours ago, BuFFETS Time said:

We did it twice and enjoyed it, both times on Anthem.  First time, when ship was very new, they weighed us.  Second time in 2018, they didn't.  

8 hours ago, BuFFETS Time said:

We did it for free while docked in Coco Cay and it was amazing! Quiet and a great view. I'd do it again in port somewhere pretty but especially in Alaska. We did NOT get weighed when we did it on Odyssey in March of 2022.

On 12/18/2022 at 6:37 AM, reallyitsmema said:

We have done Northstar five times and have never been weighed.  

On 12/18/2022 at 7:12 AM, Jasukkie said:

I've also done Northstar many times and never been weighed or asked about weight. 

ditto for me.  I have never been weighed getting on Northstar.

8 hours ago, BuFFETS Time said:

It gives great views of whatever port you are in and it's free... Why wouldn't you do it is a better question?

I haven't done iFly, but I've done the Perfect Day zipline twice and was weighed both times.  They don't reveal your weight, but they did put a bracelet on me to let the staff know which lines to put me on.  They were very discreet with the weight, and didn't even tell me my weight.  

They did the same for the zipline on Oasis when I went in October.  

On 12/17/2022 at 8:12 PM, gmerick said:

Did iFly on Anthem Jan 2021.  Made the weight limit by 4 lbs.  Stretched a suit around my shoulders, tried on 5 helmets until one finally fit past my ears.  I should have taken all this as a warning.  I was bouncing off the walls and the floor.  The attendant had a struggle keeping me stable.  Maybe a commercial land based tunnel would have worked, but the narrow tube on the Anthem didn't provide a memorable flight (just some memorable bruises).  Dieting for health is OK, but trying to lose for iFly (or a wedding) just ain't worth it.

Considering you are talking about it 2 years later, it sounds like it was memorable ;).

On 12/17/2022 at 10:47 PM, easyqueasy said:

This is because of the evac process from the Northstar. If they have to, they can rope people down from it. My wife and I had a solo ride last year and really chatted up the crew member.