Doctor on NCL? horror stories?

spunky_girl8

I am only 47, but afraid i could keel over with a heart attack on board!

Does anyone have personal experience with a ship doctor? What can they do for you or not do?

What if someone has a stoke or something? how do they get them to a hospital?

I dare to ask....how many thousands of dollars a trip to the doctor could cost?

I like to worry....and the flu is going around like crazy!

You could keel over in the local supermarket :eek:

If they can they will revive you monitor you & stabilize you just like any doctor give you drugs etc...

Then get you to a land hospital when possible, air lift you off the ship if you are in serious condition

If you are expecting to have a heart attack or stroke be sure you have insurance coverage to get you home

Does anyone have personal experience with a ship doctor? What can they do for you or not do?

My travel insurance would cover me and I would suggest that you purchase some as well because the trip to the doctor would not break you but a flight off of the ship and a hospital stay and flight home most certainly may.

I ran into an ER doc from NJ in Aruba once who told me that he and many of his collegues work as cruise ship docs for a couple of weeks once or twice a year. I'm not sure if this is the norm or if most cruiselines have a doc full time and these guys just cover vacations.

Thankfully I travel with my own private MD who would have +++ experience over any doc at sea for anything more than a simple ear infection, so that along with insurance leaves me with nothing to worry about.:)

Edited by Karysa

I needed to see to Doctor on Regent (not heart related) and found him to be kind and efficient. You might want to consider MedJet Assist for evacuation if you are concerned about that part of it. Try not to worry, they will take care of you.

Definitely make certain that you have insurance. Many health plans do not cover anything outside of the US.

We have been on many ships when people have had to be airlifted from the ship -- which is not cheap. The ships will keep a person stable as long as possible.

This is why you should have a passport in case you have to fly home from a foreign port.

Cruise insurance pays for any onboard doctors visits and emergency medical evacuation. They have doctors and nurses onboard and are equipped to deal with various medical crisis. I cruised on the Celebrity Eclipse out of Southampton and every port (Med) they were taking one or more off the ship and putting them into an ambulance. The passenger age skewed much older on that cruise - so much so that at age 50 my husband and I were among the youngest onboard. Our last night, there was a helicopter med evac (costs over $100,000) and this was some person who apparently was so ill, the doctor decided they had to be taken off the ship only 8 hours before reaching port. Have a checkup BEFORE you go on your cruise if it will reassure you, but know there are doctors onboard who will help you should you get sick and buy cruise insurance. All will go well.

I ran into an ER doc from NJ in Aruba once who told me that he and many of his collegues work as cruise ship docs for a couple of weeks once or twice a year. I'm not sure if this is the norm or if most cruiselines have a doc full time and these guys just cover vacations.

Many cruise lines do not have full time doctors

My friend is an ER Nurse & she works on a ship for 1-2 wks at a time she must do at least 2 stints per year to keep on with the cruise line

She got the job via a doctor at the hospital who also works a couple of cruises a yr

Some will allow family to bunk in with them for N/C ;)

It is not always a vacation cruise ...last cruise she was so busy rarely got off the ship

I had to see the Dr.every day for four days on ncl dawn, he was very efficient, capable, kind and handsome!! All the medical centre staff were great in my experience.

Just one more "fear" post and we seem to have a lot in the past few months. Just in the past month we have had fear of terrorism, fear of rough seas, fear of boredom, fear of Turkey, fear of Europe, fear of crime, fear of rape, fear of Ebola, fear of Norovirus, fear of not having constant internet/cell phone coverage, fear of large ships, fear of small ships, and now we get fear of ship physicians. Guess it just makes me wonder why some folks ever leave home :)

Hank

My friend is an ER Nurse & she works on a ship for 1-2 wks at a time she must do at least 2 stints per year to keep on with the cruise line

She got the job via a doctor at the hospital who also works a couple of cruises a yr

It is not always a vacation cruise ...last cruise she was so busy rarely got off the ship

Cruise ships that embark in U.S. ports always have at least one doctor aboard. HAL usually has two. One for crew and one for guests and certainly if there is a deed either doctor will treat whoever needs care.

Just one more "fear" post and we seem to have a lot in the past few months. Just in the past month we have had fear of terrorism, fear of rough seas, fear of boredom, fear of Turkey, fear of Europe, fear of crime, fear of rape, fear of Ebola, fear of Norovirus, fear of not having constant internet/cell phone coverage, fear of large ships, fear of small ships, and now we get fear of ship physicians. Guess it just makes me wonder why some folks ever leave home :)

Hank

Because they have a fear of home invasion, fear of their home burning down, fear of {insert whatever possible horrible weather can occur where you live}, fear of earthquakes, maybe even fear of fear.

DON

Hank

Some of us are not as hale and hearty as others. We all have a different 'story' and different backgrounds. It feels very unkind reading criticism of someone who has a fear that is very real to them. Be grateful for your strength, as long as you have it. Who knows but life's events can strip any of us of previous traits we once enjoyed.

I respect someone who has a question regarding something they fear and they come to a source to inquire. Better than 'suffering in silence'.

Because they have a fear of home invasion, fear of their home burning down, fear of {insert whatever possible horrible weather can occur where you live}, fear of earthquakes, maybe even fear of fear.

DON

Not to mention feral cats, feral dogs, feral squirrels, Girl Scouts selling cookies, floods, dripping faucets, and sour milk.

Some of us are not as hale and hearty as others. We all have a different 'story' and different backgrounds. It feels very unkind reading criticism of someone who has a fear that is very real to them. Be grateful for your strength, as long as you have it. Who knows but life's events can strip any of us of previous traits we once enjoyed.

I respect someone who has a question regarding something they fear and they come to a source to inquire. Better than 'suffering in silence'.

When someone suffers from anxieties, sometimes good information will help help. CC is a good source. Sometimes though a gentlel mocking of the fears can lead to self appraisal and lead one to resolve not to be dominated by their fears. CC can also be a good source for a bit of mocking. Irrational fears can't often be overcome by rational argument alone.

I want this job...how do I sign up? :D

We were on a South American cruise when a few hours out from Falkland Is someone had a severely broken leg. They had to be airlifted off. We were told the doctors could not give General Anesthesia. The passenger rejoined the cruise a few days latter in a cast.

In general it is not so much an issue of skill but an issue of equipment. I have not seen any official notes but one would assume newer, larger ships would be better supplied than smaller ships.

When someone suffers from anxieties, sometimes good information will help help. CC is a good source. Sometimes though a gentlel mocking of the fears can lead to self appraisal and lead one to resolve not to be dominated by their fears. CC can also be a good source for a bit of mocking. Irrational fears can't often be overcome by rational argument alone.

It's just not nice. We wouldn't let our kids say it but somehow grandpa gets away with it.

I want this job...how do I sign up? :D

You are on your way:). You can even sweeten the pot by telling the interviewer that you can give shore excursion advice and take pictures when passengers step off of the gangplank (ramp;)).:D

Edited by Karysa

Cruise ships that embark in U.S. ports always have at least one doctor aboard. HAL usually has two. One for crew and one for guests and certainly if there is a deed either doctor will treat whoever needs care.

Not sure what you are getting at

Yes they have a doctor onboard & nurses

You are on your way:). You can even sweeten the pot by telling the interviewer that you can give shore excursion advice and take pictures when passengers step off of the gangplank (ramp;)).:D

You know me so well. :D

Look on the cruise line website under employment ;)

I actually have looked and seen positions for nurses posted, however it never stated that I could do a 1-2 week job once a year. :o I would love that...even if I was slammed or didn't get to do much as far as getting off the ship and everything. I still wouldn't mind it. But they probably want more years experience.