logistics of Crown Grill Reservations

Mister White

I must admit that I have not been on a Princess ship since Feb. 2012. Now sailing this Feb. on the new Regal and very excited.

I know that I must give both names of the diners when making reservations for the Crown Grill. But, I'm not sure how to make a reservation for a 4 top if I do not know who will be joining us later in the week for dinner.

Valentines Day is on this cruise and I want to snag a 2 top as soon as I get on board and make the other reservations at the same time for another night at the Crown Grill and 2 nights Sabatini's on a 7 day. But I will only know 2 of the 4 diners. Will Princess let me hold a 4 top with the other diners names being given later?

I hope my question makes sense. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I know that I must give both names of the diners when making reservations for the Crown Grill.

Unless things are different on Regal, I don't think this is the case. I have always called DINE and asked for a table for 3. I give them my last name and cabin number, and that is that. I could have shown up with my wife and daughter, or with two strangers that I met at a bar. The person taking the reservation wouldn't have cared and the maitre'd wouldn't have cared. My wife and daughter on the other hand? That would have been a different story. None of these instances have been on the Regal however, but I doubt that the procedure is any different.

Definitely right! Just call the Dine Line. On the Golden, Grand, and Star, the Dine Line has been great for the Crown Grill. It must be great on the Regal, also:)

Bon appetit! - PS, the Dine Line is great on the Diamond and Sapphire and Sun, too, but those ships have the Sterling Steakhouse, rather than Crown Grill. Still fab:)

We have never been asked for the names, only our stateroom number. Perhaps it's because we always make a res for 2 people, and there are 2 of us in the stateroom. They may need names of people in other staterooms in order to accurately remind them of their res and charge their account for the dinner. I wouldn't think it'd be a problem to just say, "I'll be bringing 3 guests". Good luck!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have never been asked for the names, only our stateroom number. Perhaps it's because we always make a res for 2 people, and there are 2 of us in the stateroom.

I think that may be the difference.

On November, on Ruby, I made a reservation at crown grill

for 5. They asked who the additional people were, and

there was a lot of head scratching, as it was for two

couples (in 2 cabins), and one crew member. They weren't

really sure what to do with the crew member.

Just curious (can I be the only one?): Why don't you know the names of the other 2 people you're dining with? Is this one of those "special interest" cruises?

It is a charter. We know a lot of people that go on the RSVP charters (this will be our tenth) and we might not know which of our friends are available on a specific night. There are a lot of events going on during the cruise :)

Edited by Boytjie

Definitely right! Just call the Dine Line. On the Golden' date=' Grand, and Star, the Dine Line has been great for the Crown Grill. It must be great on the Regal, also:)

Bon appetit! - PS, the Dine Line is great on the Diamond and Sapphire and Sun, too, but those ships have the Sterling Steakhouse, rather than Crown Grill. Still fab:)[/quote']

can you make reservations ahead of the cruise for the Crown Grill?

It is a charter. We know a lot of people that go on the RSVP charters (this will be our tenth) and we might not know which of our friends are available on a specific night. There are a lot of events going on during the cruise :)

We have never had to furnish names for either the Crown Grill or Sabatini's, other than our names/cabin number and we often make reservations for 4-6 persons.

And at the end of the meal they have no problem splitting up the check on different cruise cards so it doesn't all have to be charged to the reserving party.

Have a great cruise.

Mike:)

This one of the many areas that will go over to technogly. In the on board app will be screen to make dinner reservations. Two Cruise lines are doing it now. New ships that are coming have many more individual resturants and anytime dinning is getting bigger. We loved it.

Edited by Beermam42

This one of the many areas that will go over to technogly. In the on board app will be screen to make dinner reservations. Two Cruise lines are doing it now. New ships that are coming have many more individual resturants and anytime dinning is getting bigger. We loved it.

The fact that it can be done, and that it is done on other cruise lines, is not an indication that it will be done on Princess. There are good reasons not to do it. Namely, giving people carte blanche to make reservations in advance results in over-excited passengers doing just that, often as placeholders, with no inclination as to whether or not they are actually going to honor such reservations. "Hmmm. Not sure which night we will dine in the Crown Grill, so I'll make a reservation for 3 different nights." This results in reservation hoarding and the inability of people to obtain tables that they genuinely want to use. While this issue can crop up once on board, it is far less likely to occur both because people will have better ideas as to what their schedules will be, and because they have to speak to an actual human in order to make the reservations. People are less inclined to double and triple book when they have to interact with a human as opposed to clicking a mouse. Waiting until boarding time is the most efficient way to allocate limited space. Other cruise lines that allow pre-booking often have more fee-based dining options, so space is less critical. But with only two small dining venues per ship on Princess, allowing pre-booking could become a nightmare. Not to say that it won't happen, because often things are done simply because there is technology to do them. But if the people who are making the decisions are veteran restaurateurs, they will realize that filling up limited spaces early in the game results in last minute cancellations which in turn results in lost revenue.

Concerns of how they will work it have been figured out and I am sure the company writing the software has addressed all of them. Quantum of the Sea has it in operations along with another curies line in EU. Carnival Corp has started the move with installation of these systems on two Carnival Ships, the move to the 21century technology. The systems I have seen and watch videos on do not work until you are on board and using the ships wifi system. I have used the DCL navigator, (patten) system and it only works on board. They have added on board texting to two of there ships.

Disney is working toward a system, and sure rest are doing it, were everything will be done on line before you go to terminal or hotel resort. You will have a wrist band that will be your key to the world card. Walk up to post in terminal wave your bracket in front of it and it will say Welcome Aboard Mr. and Mrs. xxx hope you have a great cruise. It will have taken your picture and matched it though the computer and know exactly who you are. Only issue with the system is Customs totally separate issue.

Yes this is a change but it is coming. They will overlap for a period of time. But eventually it will be the way things are done. How long the overlap is will depend on how well they sell it and get the customer's to accept it.

For Disney it is already 1.5 Billion dollar investment. So they are looking for big returns in labor savings.

Yes right after this is completed someone will come up with a better one.

We actually boarded the Emerald Princess put carry on's in room and walked to Crown Grill and made reservation. Did not even use the phone. I will tell all that have a smart phones and use them. You will like having the Patten in an app at your finger tips, that has your camera, watch, and ship card all in one.

Concerns of how they will work it have been figured out and I am sure the company writing the software has addressed all of them. Quantum of the Sea has it in operations along with another curies line in EU. Carnival Corp has started the move with installation of these systems on two Carnival Ships, the move to the 21century technology. The systems I have seen and watch videos on do not work until you are on board and using the ships wifi system. I have used the DCL navigator, (patten) system and it only works on board. They have added on board texting to two of there ships.

Disney is working toward a system, and sure rest are doing it, were everything will be done on line before you go to terminal or hotel resort. You will have a wrist band that will be your key to the world card. Walk up to post in terminal wave your bracket in front of it and it will say Welcome Aboard Mr. and Mrs. xxx hope you have a great cruise. It will have taken your picture and matched it though the computer and know exactly who you are. Only issue with the system is Customs totally separate issue.

Yes this is a change but it is coming. They will overlap for a period of time. But eventually it will be the way things are done. How long the overlap is will depend on how well they sell it and get the customer's to accept it.

For Disney it is already 1.5 Billion dollar investment. So they are looking for big returns in labor savings.

We actually boarded the Emerald Princess put carry on's in room and walked to Crown Grill and made reservation. Did not even use the phone. I will tell all that have a smart phones and use them. You will like having the Patten in an app at your finger tips, that has your camera, watch, and ship card all in one.

a. The Quantum of the Seas has far more tables available for fee-based dining. Princess has only two small restaurants per ship. There is no question that a system could be put in place to accomplish what you suggest. But to what end? The first 200 people who book a particular cruise would sell out the restaurant for the entire cruise, and then two-thirds of them would end up cancelling (or just not showing up) when the day actually arises. That is a lose-lose for passenger and for the cruise line.

b. "My Disney Experience" is an entirely different animal. Disney isn't spending $1.5B so that you can pre-reserve Palio. What MDE does, (or hopes to do) cannot be compared at all to what cruise ship passengers want or need.

Wow....where are my moving sidewalks?

Yes have you watched the video on the Carnival Vista. They are on the way. Some of the design things that are going to show up on Cruise Ships in the next five years are way beyond my imagination.

On our cruise with Emerald Princess there were 3156 passengers on the ship understand it max is 3600. There were reservations available every night at CG. Anytime dining was way far bigger that I though it would be.

This is area that is being addressed by industry. Look at all the new ships. Even the Royal and Regel do it. NCL is leading the way with almost not doing MDR at all.

To me this is the greatest part of the explosion of the industry. It an adventure now to see who comes up with some new and different. Fun to go take a cruise and see it all happen.

Varity is the spice of life. I will never make any cruise line special groups because I will be off on another one. Next on list after Royal in NCL Escape. This looks like fun.