Did I make a mistake??

KAR3600

I have sailed with Princess before, I always had first seating for dinner. The 6 O'clock time is a little to early, and the 8:00 is a little too late. This time I'm trying anytime dining on the Emerald Princess.....Do I need to make daily reservations? What is the best time to go to dinner? Any helpful hints are appreciated!!!

I have sailed with Princess before, I always had first seating for dinner. The 6 O'clock time is a little to early, and the 8:00 is a little too late. This time I'm trying anytime dining on the Emerald Princess.....Do I need to make daily reservations? What is the best time to go to dinner? Any helpful hints are appreciated!!!

Anytime means anytime, kind of defeats the purpose making a reservation and not all ships allow this. Peak times around 6p-7:30p.

Just relax and go when you are ready. ;)

There is no need to make reservations! ATD is just that, of course you may have to wait just a little, but we use that time to get acquainted with others in line. :) We had TD on our first cruise and quickly learned it was a mistake. :eek: Since then, it has always been ATD!

Just Mike

ATD on the Emerald Princess works in this manner. The Michelangelo DR, Deck 5, opens for ATD, if I remember correctly at 5:30. By 6pm it is fairly full. The DaVinci DR on Deck 6, one deck above opens for ATD at 7:30. It is used for early traditional seating from 5:30 to 7:30.

Reservations are accepted for ATD by calling the DINE Line, but they are only accepted for specific times, for example 5:30, 5:45, 7:30, 7:45. My experience on the Emerald and other Princess ships is that they did not accept reservations for say 7pm. If you wish to dine at 7pm you have to walk in and wait until a table from the early dining passengers has cleared. It has also been my experience that it is much easier to be swiftly seated at 7:30 or later than during the earlier times. Each cruise is a little different and depends on the dining preferences of the passengers on board. You have to feel this out. If you have a large group it is a little difficult, just like in any shore side restaurant. If you are just two, it's easier. Generally tables to share are easier to get than tables for two, but tables for two are definitely available.

We choose ATD on all of our cruises. We typically eat between 6 and 6:30. We always say we will sit with others so we have never had to wait longer than a few minutes for a table. Dinner has always been interesting to say the least - we have met really fun people and a few who made us go "hmmm"! :D

The nice thing is that every dinner experience is different.

My LW and I used to do anytime dining - primarily because we felt we weren't getting personalized service in the regular dining room -- so why not? If you don't care about sitting with and meeting strangers, the lines usually don't take TOO long. However, we ALWAYS make a reservation at an anytime restaurant whenever we wanted to sit by ourselves -- otherwise, the wait could be 30-40 minutes to get a table for 2.

Recently though, we took our 5 grand-daughters and their parents with us to the Caribbean on the Emerald this past November. Since there were 11 of us all together, we felt that to sit together each night we had to go with seated dining. The service we got was so GREAT we've flipped back now and we're going with seating dining again. :D

Anytime means anytime, kind of defeats the purpose making a reservation and not all ships allow this.

This is a bit tautological. Anytime Dining simply means that you are not committed to going at the same time every day. It has nothing whatsoever to do with making reservations. If you prefer to dine at 5:30 one day and 7:30 the next, you can [try]. And there is nothing to suggest that you shouldn't make a reservation on each of those nights. Indeed, I think it is highly advisable to do so. Whether the dining room can or will accept those reservations is another matter. But if one goes in with the attitude: "Anytime means any time and I will just saunter in whenever I please", that person could be in for long waits and huge disappointment.

My LW and I used to do anytime dining - primarily because we felt we weren't getting personalized service in the regular dining room -- so why not? If you don't care about sitting with and meeting strangers, the lines usually don't take TOO long. However, we ALWAYS make a reservation at an anytime restaurant whenever we wanted to sit by ourselves -- otherwise, the wait could be 30-40 minutes to get a table for 2.

Recently though, we took our 5 grand-daughters and their parents with us to the Caribbean on the Emerald this past November. Since there were 11 of us all together, we felt that to sit together each night we had to go with seated dining. The service we got was so GREAT we've flipped back now and we're going with seating dining again. :D

We didn't feel traditional dining was less personalized, but more. In fact, our one time with anytime dining made up pine for our regular table, regular waitstaff and an unrushed experience. And we know when we're going to eat so we can plan our mid-afternoon nosh based on that. With anytime, if there is any line just to get to the front (not to mention being given a pager, delaying dinner even more), that is a wait we don't do with traditional.

The dinner line at 5:30 for AT:

And at 7:20:

20 min. wait to get a pager to wait another 20 min.

Oh my... I will stick with TD.

I've had much different AT experiences & have walked in to be seated at 5:30 when it opened & after 7:30 when most of the early crowd is leaving. Once we made the mistake of arriving at 6:30 & got a pager resulting in a 45 minute delay to be seated. Like anything else on any ship if too many people want to do the same thing at the same time there will be crowds.

We had the same problem when our daughter and family were with us. We could not get into the ATD. We were forced to have it as we could TD was not available when we booked. They wanted us to wait untill after 7:30 in ATD. They did not want to seat us. We could not do that with a four and two year old. Finally the MD gave us a permanet reservation in one of the rooms for 6.

This is a bit tautological. Anytime Dining simply means that you are not committed to going at the same time every day. It has nothing whatsoever to do with making reservations. If you prefer to dine at 5:30 one day and 7:30 the next, you can [try]. And there is nothing to suggest that you shouldn't make a reservation on each of those nights. Indeed, I think it is highly advisable to do so. Whether the dining room can or will accept those reservations is another matter. But if one goes in with the attitude: "Anytime means any time and I will just saunter in whenever I please", that person could be in for long waits and huge disappointment.

Good advice and understanding

We've done both. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. I booked traditional for our February cruise. I think TD was wait listed for our upcoming September cruise so we are booked for AD. Either way we will enjoy our cruise and won't let the type of dining we have make a difference.

I definitely prefer traditional dining. I tried Anytime on a couple of cruises, and on one cruise it was mostly okay, but on the other cruise there was a fairly long wait a few times that meant we had to skip dessert (oh no!) in order to make it to the show. I tend to like to eat during the busy time between 6 and 7 pm so traditional takes away the possibility of having to wait to be seated. I also found the service to be faster in traditional since they have to finish in time for the 2nd seating, and I enjoyed having the same wait staff each night so I didn't have to keep repeating my requests.

Recently returned from the Ocean Princess and found that TD (late sitting) was a big mistake. On this particular sailing (TA) almost all the shows were set for those that had early dinner. No ATD on the small ships.

Another thought: If you have TD and do not feel like going to the dining room on a given evening (pick your reason) do you feel obligated to let the others at your table know; including the wait staff? Table for two not as big of a problem but it is kind of frustrating to be sitting at a table and wonder if the other couple(s) are coming tonight.:confused:

Another thought: If you have TD and do not feel like going to the dining room on a given evening (pick your reason) do you feel obligated to let the others at your table know; including the wait staff? Table for two not as big of a problem but it is kind of frustrating to be sitting at a table and wonder if the other couple(s) are coming tonight.:confused:

When having TD & not going the next night, we always tell our waiters & those dining at our table. To me it's inconsiderate not to do that & have experienced delaying dinner because of those who do not inform either the waiters or us. The time we made a last minute change to our plans we went to our table to tell them we wouldn't be there that evening.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Recently returned from the Ocean Princess and found that TD (late sitting) was a big mistake. On this particular sailing (TA) almost all the shows were set for those that had early dinner. No ATD on the small ships.

That was a failure of the cruise director.

Wonder why the service is so much better with TD over ATD? This will be our first time to try ATD. We wanted a table for two.

I'm totally shocked to see how people are dressed for dinner at the main dining rooms :o Even if it's not formal night (which obviously it's not) I'm still shocked to see how WAY casual everyone is. We're going to be over dressed!

The dinner line at 5:30 for AT:

12226221414_45ef3af6bc.jpg2014-01-24_17-28-05_101 by MauiLvrs, on Flickr

And at 7:20:

20 min. wait to get a pager to wait another 20 min.

10958251676_930d76a944.jpg

20131019_191900 by MauiLvrs, on Flickr

We've done TD and ATD and like them both. And with the buffet, room service, and specialty restaurants as additional options you can have TD and some different dining times on days you may need/want to.

The real secret to ATD is to be in a suite. Then the priority dining combined with ATD gets you 'dine when you want' with no waiting. It truly is the best of both dining worlds.

That said, our upcoming cruise is on the Pacific Princess and there is only TD so we will enjoy that. After all, any dinner on a cruise is a nice dinner!

So for those of you that like both ATD and TD, what would you recommend for a party of 6? We currently have ATD because we have at least 2 ports that go past the early seating and do not want to do the late because of our kids. If we are fine being placed with others at a larger table will that help the wait? Or would it be better to just stick to TD and either eat at the buffet or come back to the ship early on those nights? Thank you!