Oceania luxury europe summer cruise for teens

Japesurf

Having sailed once on GEM, which is 2300, sure it's larger than I like. But we didn't find it so terrible.

Would I sail on a 3000 passenger and up ship? No way.

I still wouldn't call 2300 monstrous, but if you feel that way -- it is, at least to you. (Let me clear -- I'm not saying you are wrong in the way you feel.)

Mura

I think some of the larger ships are a destination by themselves. I don't know why people even bother to get off to visit at a port or maybe they just like being in a huge ship. I prefer the smaller ships and will go up to 2,000 passengers, but larger than that (and yes I did try it once) it is just too many people and too easy to get lost on the ship, plus all the paying for extras.:eek:

Coming from Wind Surf and Viking Legend I though Regatta was huge! I was worried about trying Riviera but I loved that ship. It was very cosmopolitan which is why I thought Riviera or Marina would be better for the OP than the smaller ships.

After reading and re-reading this thread I am now wondering if it is the "parents" that no longer want to sail on mainstream cruise lines or the "teenagers". Generally, teens are more than happy to be on a cruise line with areas for them to "hang out" and meet with other teens. They don't seem to have a problem with being on a ship with 2000+ passengers. Most would not be happy with very limited space and little to do as is the case on Oceania (except when there are special programs). Thinking about it, I cannot imagine teens wanting to be on a cruise line that usually caters to adults. IMO, the parents need to be patient....... their teens will be gone all too soon and they will have years to cruise on premium and luxury cruise lines. I suggest that they choose the cruise line that will leave a lasting impression on their children and not worry so much about themselves.

Sorry -- this will probably be an unpopular opinion but it comes from the heart.

Travelcat, you may well be right! That doesn't make the parents bad people at all. (And I for one will not castigate you for what you have said.)

For us regular O passengers, it does seem that IN GENERAL, teens would be happier on a larger ship with more activities, and absolutely more people their own age. They won't find that on Oceania, or I assume, Regent.

However, there ARE teens (especially the age of these particular teens) who could be happy on a line like Oceania. I know that I would have been ... but it's a different world today from when I was a teen!

And again, we go back to the itinerary. If it's a port intensive itinerary the teens might be quite happy. If it's an itinerary with a lot of sea days, maybe not.

On our Nov '13 TA from Barcelona to Rio there was one young teen (I was guessing 13-14) who turned out to be the son of one of the officers. He regularly dined with a group of 8 or so, all of whom who were adults. He looked so bored. Then again, he was a lovely young man. I don't doubt he was happy to be with his father, but he'd probably have been happier on a ship where there were more kids his own age.

And on that cruise, there weren't any.

Mura

and it seems that when they are close to being 14 they don't want childrens programs, but they do want peers. I have done NCL with The Haven several times, and it is indeed the best of both worlds. Some of the newer NCL's have everything in The Haven, so you do not have to be with the mass market...but the teens can enjoy teen things if they wish. I think this is even better than Celebrity. I have been on Crystal when there were kids and they mostly hang out in the hallway...nothing outstanding for them to do. I am definitely not opposed to cruising with kids, but I do not think any of O or R is a fit. I do think that The Haven is a brilliant idea.

We sailed from Barcelona last summer, and there were quite a few kids and teens onboard.

Go for it.

Also on cruise from Barcelona and those children seemed sooo bored. Couldn't blame them. As for evenings,....the same old piano music, corny trivia and poor shows (early) makes for an empty ship by 10:30 PM!!! We dine at 9:00 PM as the food is Oceania's best form of nightlife. Sound like you and your husband are too young for this line, not just your daughters.

We've not yet been on Oceania, and while our girls (22 & 25) are not going with us on our first time next month, they've been cruising with us since they were little. Granted, on many of the cruises we were with another family or friends, so there were always people to hang out with, but we've also done trips on our own. When they were 9 & 12, we went on Holland for the first time - just the four of us. Everyone said we were nuts, but we all had a great time. They especially enjoyed the food, and despite the nervousness of our more mature table mates on the first night's dinner, we all enjoyed meeting new people and having some great dinner conversation.

Even though we've been on the mass market lines, my kids never really cared for the "schtick" and they rarely, if every, went to the kids clubs. Sure, when we finally tried Royal (which none of us cared for), they tried the rock wall. But, they did it once and said they never would have missed it if it wasn't there. On all of our trips on port days we were out and about. On sea days we all prefer to just relax by the pool. In the evenings, we all enjoy a nice dinner and then maybe a show if we feel like it. Sometimes the two of them would just go back to their cabin and watch a movie if they didn't feel like hanging out. On the rare occasions either of them even tried to go to a teen dance, etc., they usually quickly left as there were not too many others there.

My point is that the OP knows her kids and on the right itinerary they'll have a great family vacation on any ship.

After reading and re-reading this thread I am now wondering if it is the "parents" that no longer want to sail on mainstream cruise lines or the "teenagers". Generally, teens are more than happy to be on a cruise line with areas for them to "hang out" and meet with other teens. They don't seem to have a problem with being on a ship with 2000+ passengers. Most would not be happy with very limited space and little to do as is the case on Oceania (except when there are special programs). Thinking about it, I cannot imagine teens wanting to be on a cruise line that usually caters to adults. IMO, the parents need to be patient....... their teens will be gone all too soon and they will have years to cruise on premium and luxury cruise lines. I suggest that they choose the cruise line that will leave a lasting impression on their children and not worry so much about themselves.

Sorry -- this will probably be an unpopular opinion but it comes from the heart.

Maybe not popular reply....but point on!!

We spent years cruising with our children mainly on Celebrity Carribbean cruises from the time they were small through college. Perfect family vacations! We now choose small ships and avoid the Carribbean....but did return to a Norwegian XMAS cruise as our granddaughter was with us..also took her to Atlantis. Hope to go on a Disney cruise one day with grandchild coming in March

I sailed twice a year, one with Oceania and the other with Celebrity or Princess with my teen daughter, I took her one in Oceania in the Mediterranean,and she was miserable, .she is a girl that has been well traveled, five continents, few languages but there is nothing to do for people under 21 at Oceania. I love the cruise line but is only dedicated to adults.

I have sailed Oceania, Azamara and Celebrity.

Always took Celebrity when the kids were "young", and it was a great choice.

We did Celebrity Equinox Med in 2012 with 21 yr olds. It was fine. It was the second week of May, and the crew said there were about 80 kids on board. Perfect number.

Took 18 yr old daughter on Azamara Med in 2007 for high school graduation. We would tour the port in the day, starting early morning. When we got back to the ship, she would lay by the pool and read a book. We would have dinner, maybe a game of cribbage, reading, and off to bed. She was PERFECTLY happy not hanging with people her age.

You have to know your child(ren). There is really nothing for them to do.

Now DH and I cruise Oceania. Just he and I.

After carful consideration, we have opted out of the Oceana cruise and booked Crystal on the 5th of July that sails from Barcelona to Lisbon. Albeit, the Oceana for all intensive purposes appears to be a wonderful cruise, the majority of this thread points to adults. It is her 18th birthday and she is going to want anything but mello and 24 hour adult company. Our girls will be in Europe for the entire month of July with us, so the cruise is there party, so to say!

After carful consideration, we have opted out of the Oceana cruise and booked Crystal on the 5th of July that sails from Barcelona to Lisbon. Albeit, the Oceana for all intensive purposes appears to be a wonderful cruise, the majority of this thread points to adults. It is her 18th birthday and she is going to want anything but mello and 24 hour adult company. Our girls will be in Europe for the entire month of July with us, so the cruise is there party, so to say!

Funny, you've picked the single cruise line which I would have thought was a poorer match for your daughters needs than Oceania.

Crystal has a great deal of nightlife, but it's geared to an entirely different......er.....demographic.

I Hope she likes to Lindy :D

Thanks for reporting back and letting us know your decision. I hope you all have a wonderful time!

Funny, you've picked the single cruise line which I would have thought was a poorer match for your daughters needs than Oceania.

Crystal has a great deal of nightlife, but it's geared to an entirely different......er.....demographic.

I Hope she likes to Lindy :D

I find it funny that the Oceania cheerleaders bend over backwards to turn off anyone under 60 from going on the ship but when they take the advice they are told it's wrong. Crystal provides a nice experience with lots to do both day and night besides eating. Why not just say have a great trip?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app