Why so many uncomfortable chairs?

WestLakeGirl

We tried the loungers in the Solarium, couldn't adjust them to a position comfortable for reading

We tried the maroon velvet chairs in Ensenble, they are too low and hard to get in and out of

We tried the bar stools in Gastrobar, had to bring a cushion from the room to put behind us to sit there for any length of time

We tried the chairs at Bacio, felt like children at the grownup table, the chairs don't match the table height and we felt like our chins were on the table

We tried the banquette bench in Murano and had to ask to be re-seated, it was so hard, like sitting on a board

We tried the chairs overlooking the atrium, too deep and again, not comfortable, all ended up slouching down

We tried the white couch in the room, again it was like sitting on a board

We are neither exceptionally short nor exceptionally tall, but have never been on a ship where so many of the chairs felt, just wrong

Any ideas why a company would choose to buy so many uncomfortable styles?

I can deal with the loungers in the solarium but find most of the other chairs to be too deep for me since I'm short. They are also heavy & hard to move. Especially uncomfortable are the chairs over looking the bow in the sky lounges and in the alcoves in Cellar Masters.

Maybe they are made that way to encourage turn over. Or, they are chosen by male designers who are all 6' tall.

Mary Lou

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

And I'll add my personal pet peeve -- the circular seating with the big round bench in the middle on S class ships Sky Lounge -- if you use the round bench as a table, you take the chance of your drink tipping over; if you try to sit on it, with no back to lean on, your posture had better be good or you'll soon be uncomfortable. Horrible design.

We tried the loungers in the Solarium, couldn't adjust them to a position comfortable for reading

We tried the maroon velvet chairs in Ensenble, they are too low and hard to get in and out of

We tried the bar stools in Gastrobar, had to bring a cushion from the room to put behind us to sit there for any length of time

We tried the chairs at Bacio, felt like children at the grownup table, the chairs don't match the table height and we felt like our chins were on the table

We tried the banquette bench in Murano and had to ask to be re-seated, it was so hard, like sitting on a board

We tried the chairs overlooking the atrium, too deep and again, not comfortable, all ended up slouching down

We tried the white couch in the room, again it was like sitting on a board

We are neither exceptionally short nor exceptionally tall, but have never been on a ship where so many of the chairs felt, just wrong

Any ideas why a company would choose to buy so many uncomfortable styles?

We just arrived home last night after an 11 day cruise on Equinox. Yes, the chairs and furniture are uncomfortable. My husband is 5'11" and I am 5'0"

Now here is my humble opinion. The furniture is to function but more important to the designers is the 'look'. They pay lots of attention to making the interior spaces pretty or intimate, or whatever look they try to achieve. Comfort is on the low end of priorities.

I know this from having had the headache of shopping for living room furniture many years ago. The mission was to find a comfortable love seat, couch and two rocker chairs.

It took us weeks. Most of the high end places had lovely looking furniture but it did not pass the 'sit test'. We finally found a living room set, picked out the fabric and even after all these years, it is amazingly comfortable. A ship isn't likely to choose comfort over fashion.

I agree that chairs should be heavy, but they should not be so badly designed that people need to bring pillows and cushions from their staterooms with them in order to sit comfortably, and I have witnessed that several times, in the dining room, in bars and lounges, and in the S class solarium especially.

Just to go against the grain... I think most if not all the chairs/stalls I've ever sat on while on the s/class ships have been very comfy... :)

I'm guessing with all the shapes & sizes you see on a cruise your never going to get a good fit for everyone! I'd say there are more people happy with them than not but I guess that wouldn't show on here as negatives seem to be the way on cruise critic! 😱

I really think these site should be renamed cruise complaint.

How true a statement that is...

Just like the press... Bad news sells papers so I guess negative posts gets noticed & give others a chance to join in and have a bit of a moan! :D

I know this from having had the headache of shopping for living room furniture many years ago. The mission was to find a comfortable love seat, couch and two rocker chairs.

It took us weeks. Most of the high end places had lovely looking furniture but it did not pass the 'sit test'. We finally found a living room set, picked out the fabric and even after all these years, it is amazingly comfortable. A ship isn't likely to choose comfort over fashion.

Check out this site -

http://www.briggerfurniture.com/

I have not bought from them but I have th ought about it several times. Looks like they will solve your problem.

DON

Oh! In this case, I wish they would "Preview" before they buy for the next ship, and "Select" some more "Classic" chairs, or even some "Premium" ones, because the "Interactive" aspect of the ones they have make my poor back hurt. That's what I want, "a nanosecond before I even knew I wanted it"

Because they LOOK "modern and luxurious" :rolleyes:

I agree that a lot of the seating in the "S" class ships is uncomfortable, but I'm assuming they were bought because they look as stated above--you know, stylish and cool. Sometimes I wonder if anyone ever tried them out before buying them.

Me, I prefer function and comfort over style--and it is not impossible to have stylish furniture or clothing that is also comfortable.

As someone pointed out the chairs have to be heavy because of the ship movement. This I can accept, but that does not mean they have to be so deep that we height challenged cannot sit comfortably. :D

Nevertheless, I will continue to sail Celebrity.

Mary Lou

As someone pointed out the chairs have to be heavy because of the ship movement. This I can accept, but that does not mean they have to be so deep that we height challenged cannot sit comfortably. :D

Nevertheless, I will continue to sail Celebrity.

Mary Lou

Or so heavy that it is very difficult for some people to move them! This is the case in the MDR on S class. Beautiful restaurants, but when we sailed with our elderly relatives they literally could not move the chairs - we had to move the chairs for them (not that we object to helping them of course, that's not the point). As a young, but senior, woman I can move them but it is with difficulty. Try adjusting the seat closer to the table when you are already seated - yikes! M class sails the seas as well, but their chairs are nowhere near as heavy.

But remember this is the same cruise line who claimed that women helped design their cabins for S class, and then delivered them to us with such lousy storage. No woman I know would have approved of them in that regard :)

Edited by phoenix_dream