Live: Amazon River, Caribbean, Many Pix’s, Terry/Ohio

TLCOhio

Eagerly awaiting the next installment...but no pressure! Enjoy the pool and tropical breezes. Today we had thunderstorms with high winds. Not a pool day here for sure, and no wonderful waitstaff crew members to offer drinks either.

Tiggerlilly1: Thanks for the great photos Terry as usual. Hello to Penny and glad you are having a resting day. Diane

Appreciate these kind follow-ups. Just completed lunch on the pool deck/bar. Had their fish of the day and it was super wonderful. We did this a few days back and it was also excellent with another type of fish. Today was catfish. Not just "heated up" food in this great setting. Nice shrimp cocktail with a special rose sauce. The ice tea are spectacular' date=' etc. I had a margarita, frozen with salt. What's better?

For [b']Diane from Dublin[/b], I mentioned to my wife, Penny, that you had posted, but she was not totally sure which Diane it was. Don't need a last name. Just a little added hint so that I can share more with her and give you proper credit.

Early this morning while my wife was finishing her beauty sleep, I observed the Ship Captain at work. He was really focused on some details with two staff members about one of the hot tubs on the pool deck that was not working perfectly. Later, he walked by and I shared my appreciate for how focused he seems on ALL aspects of the ship. He said he likes to know “all of the details around him”. He said he does not want to just sit in his office. He was born in southern Switzerland and grew up in southern Italy. His wife and their 14-month-old daughter will be joining the ship on Feb. 11. His face sparkled when talking about his daughter. She is his first child. This Captain is on the Silver Cloud until the end of February. From observing him closely on the top deck of the ship as we were doing the sail-away at several ports and at other times around the ship, I was impressed with his manner and style. He is friendly, but focused first and foremost on the safety and operational aspects. Those are the right, best priorities!!

Hotel Director Inside Info?: A few minutes later, the hotel director, in charge of all of the room, food, etc., issues was walking by on the pool deck early morning. I had met him earlier and had mentioned that our room temperature AC might need a little fine-tuning. He took care of it quickly, remembers our first connection, asks follow-ups, etc. Very solid and focused!! I asked about the upcoming, 18-day Oct. 2015 dry dock, scheduled for the Silver Cloud. He said that work would be mainly concentrating on “back of the house”, technical issues. But a new ceiling in Panorama Lounge, plus lots of new carpet, wood, etc., around the ship will be done. One major task will be that the teak decks, such as on the pool deck, will be totally ripped out and 100% replaced. He noted to me that the current wood has been sanded down many times, but it is getting very too thin and is in need for this total replacement. You can see that serious need in several areas, including outside of the Panorama Lounge and Terrace Cafe. Nothing terrible now, but clearly . . . "It's Time!".

With our plans for doing nine more days on the Silver Cloud after completing this Amazon cruise in Barbados, he shared with me more for this upcoming Feb. 11-20 cruise. The HD said that the experience on this ship will be totally difference than what has been happening currently. That second cruise will be nearly totally full, plus with a more active and busy schedule. Lots of ports and only two sea days. It will be interesting to see the contrasts for our experiences in doing this back-to-back cruising.

Next to more pictures!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 96,816 views for this posting.

Terry...Hope you are enjoying this wonderful cruise as much as we are enjoying your reports and pics which are enabling us to relive so many happy memories.Delighted to learn that the captain,Samuel,who was staff captain on our last Med cruise is to be joined by his delightful wife Ana.We were delighted to spend an evening in La Terrazza with them prior to Ana leaving the Cloud when we reached their home port in Sicily.Look forward to the Manaus pics in due course.Enjoy !!

Terry...Hope you are enjoying this wonderful cruise as much as we are enjoying your reports and pics which are enabling us to relive so many happy memories. Delighted to learn that the captain,Samuel,who was staff captain on our last Med cruise is to be joined by his delightful wife Ana. We were delighted to spend an evening in La Terrazza with them prior to Ana leaving the Cloud when we reached their home port in Sicily. Look forward to the Manaus pics in due course.Enjoy !!

Emtbsam: We had the pleasure of meeting Samuele and Ana a number of years ago' date=' and then met her parents two years ago. What a lovely family! Terry - Would you please [b']send our regards to Samuele and Ana from Bob and Victoria.[/b]

Appreciate these two wonderful follow-ups. For Bob and Victoria, YES, will do that mention of your greetings to the Captain. On the next cruise, remind me if I forget, to get a picture of the three of them, to share here on this posting.

This is the morning to catch-up on the picture sharing from Manaus. Below is that starting. Lots and lots to post here!! Plus, more ship food pictures. Must prove that we are not starving and/or suffering while on the Silver Cloud!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 171,001 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is the sunset on the evening before we were to arrive in Manaus. Sailing on this river is very magical during the day and has added thrills at both sunset and sunrise.:

FebAmazPixBB22_zps49wez7la.jpg

Here is a little sample for our evening meal and wine in the main dining room on the evening before arriving in Manaus. The spectacular highlight was the Colorado Rack of Lamb. So tasty and wonderful!!! One of the best main entrees to have enjoyed, so far, during this sailing. The dessert had a walnut style/taste.:

FebAmazPixBB23_zpse4emvhgt.jpg

FebAmazPixBB24_zpsck7jncqf.jpg

FebAmazPixBB25_zpsy9pg3m0n.jpg

FebAmazPixBB58_zpsxe3lgh3b.jpg

FebAmazPixBB26_zpsrrzhtfeo.jpg

The Silver Cloud is now approaching Parintins, Brazil. We are scheduled to be here from noon to 7 pm. This small village of Parintins lies on Tupinambarana Island, which is part of a large river archipelago in the mid-Amazon, 250 miles east of Manaus. In existence for two centuries, Parintins has a rich history of Indian culture. That background is represented in the celebrated annual Boi-Bumba festival. This ritual of magic, mystery, faith and passion has been held here for over 80 years. It is inspired by local legends. Their stadium, the Bumbódromo, was built in 1988 to accommodate the over 40,000 spectators that come and take part in this festival each year.

During our stop, we will have a mini-performance of this show in their air-conditioned convention center. We are supposed to get the exuberance and vibrancy normally displayed in the real Parintins festival. Our destination expert says it's not the "real thing" with the large, wildly responsive crowds being present, but it should allow lots of nice visuals and local "color".

After the Colorado Rack of Lamb dinner on the way to Manaus, here was a small sample of the Voices of Silversea performing. This night, they had more elaborate costumes, stage settings. As I might have noted earlier, it is not Broadway or the West End of London, but it works well for me on a smaller ship to have had these varied programs. Plus, being able to chat with the singers on the ship, while they are traveling with us during excursions, etc.:

FebAmazPixBB27_zpsrnbtd4to.jpg

Our ship's magic star got off of the ship in Manaus. Here he is doing a "table top" demonstration to share how a couple of his card tricks were achieved. He was trained as an attorney, but loves doing this type of performing. He travels about 42 weeks of the year doing such ship entertaining. Very nice and engaging young man. On a small ship, we had lots of opportunities to see and chat with him. Several times, I ask him to make the humidity disappear, but he failed totally as a true magic artist!! Not quite as good in ALL types of magic, especially when we really needed it!:

FebAmazPixBB30_zpsbkjip9gs.jpg

Now these pictures show a little of life on the ship along the Amazon, plus more important, the docking here in Manaus.

Being in Manaus reminds me a little of Istanbul. This Brazil town does not have the great history and architecture of the famed Turkish city, BUT, the word "exotic" quickly comes to mind in a fun and very interesting manner. Lots of people and activity here. It was great to be docked right here in the location. Our balcony faced this port/ship action. It was fun to listen to the music (mostly American pop classics like Elvis) being played in this area and capture the "pulse" for the urban/passenger sailings, etc. Many, many more picture to come documenting that "exotic" term/phrase.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 193,889 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

On the morning of our arrival in Manaus, my wife wanted me to take this picture to send to her brother in Kansas. She wanted to document how rough and tough is live on the Amazon, while enjoying coffee and the sights along this amazing river. Her both enjoyed this picture!!:

FebAmazPixBB28_zpszwgtxjvr.jpg

This was our breakfast location as we prepared to arrive in Manaus. Love the Terrace Cafe and being outdoors on the back of the ship as we sail along such varied locations.:

FebAmazPixBB29_zpskazj9ffi.jpg

Here is our first sights of Manaus area. This is the industrial area east of this large city of about two million people. In the background, you can see the 12,500' bridge that was opened in October 2011 to cross the Rio Negro. This dramatic bridges connects to towns south of Manaus, but not to another locations or cities in the main, more populated areas of Brazil. More on that later.:

FebAmazPixBB31_zpsnm4imgoc.jpg

As the Captain is preparing to dock, here are a three of the people with whom we have had a chance to meet and chat with during this cruise. There were in their front suites to observe the approach to Manaus. I shouted out. They turned to allow this interesting angle of view, showing some of the ship's docking/tie-up items, etc.:

FebAmazPixBB32_zpszpv6z7lp.jpg

Finally, here is the Captain at the helm directing the docking details and process. You can see some of the local boats here and near where our ship would be for the next two and a half days in scenic Manaus.:

FebAmazPixBB33_zpsva4uie7c.jpg

We had the pleasure of meeting Samuele and Ana a number of years ago, and then met her parents two years ago. What a lovely family! Terry - Would you please send our regards to Samuele and Ana from Bob and Victoria.

Was just walking out of the Terrace Cafe after breakfast and the Captain was departing at the same time. I shared you greetings and mentioned about wanting to get a family picture during the next cruise segment, Barbados to San Juan, PR. He's happy to do that.

He gave me more on his background. He was actually born in northern Switzerland and learned some of the German in that part of this nation while growing up. He noted his wife is much more of a "social butterfly". The Captain does well in being approachable, chatting, etc. BUT, it is not his top priority while on the ship. Look forward to meeting her and seeing their young daughter.

More more fun and visual images below from Manaus.

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 96,949 views for this posting.

For the afternoon on arriving in Manaus, we visited the historic market that I had detailed earlier. It was styled after a famed market in Paris. Here is a sampling for some of its exterior architecture and an interior sampling of some people, activities, offerings inside of this market. Also shown are a couple of the local law enforcement. There were a couple of incidents that first afternoon with two of the ship passengers. All worked out fine. Will try to share more of those interesting details later.:

FebAmazPixBB34_zpsmd1s1lup.jpg

FebAmazPixBB37_zpsxsr4jkqu.jpg

FebAmazPixBB36_zpspoickafs.jpg

FebAmazPixBB35_zpskzgi5ign.jpg

Here is the exterior of their old police administration building. It now has various art and historic collections here. This second picture shows the office of the police commander as it would have been its day for the use inside of this historic building.:

FebAmazPixBB39_zps4apjyzq4.jpg

FebAmazPixBB38_zps1oq0deot.jpg

Ready to see the "star" of Manaus' rich, rubber-baron history?? Here goes!!

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, you might look at this earlier posting. This posting is now at 46,955 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Here is a sampling of visuals from the exterior of the Opera House and its nearby buildings/neighbors, the park in front of this structure, a nearby church, etc. Finally is a view from the second floor of the Opera House show the nearby areas, plus, as a bonus, a colorful rainbow!!:

FebAmazPixBB40_zpsz1k2cvz3.jpg

FebAmazPixBB42_zpsoyddmsqm.jpg

FebAmazPixBB43_zpsdaj11dcm.jpg

FebAmazPixBB44_zpss6w1q8d8.jpg

FebAmazPixBB41_zpssm2khgzz.jpg

FebAmazPixBB51_zpscdxkzyk5.jpg

Now for the interior views of the Manaus Opera House. It is said that based on what it cost to build it in the late 1890's, the expenses from importing all of the various materials, etc., that it would total up to a total price tag of ONE BILLION DOLLARS in today's money. Very lavish!! They did a nice restoration of its exterior and interiors during recent years. Looks great. BUT, for all of these costs, it only seats 701. Actually, if you want to see the stage performances from many of the high seating areas in the second rows of these balconies, you would need to stand.

It is still used for various performances.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 26,386 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Here are only three of my visual samples for the interior of the famed Opera House in Manaus. The third view is from one of the two grand boxes that were immediately overlooking the stage for the rich rubber barons who lived here during the peak years of their economy.:

FebAmazPixBB45_zpsab2cx6pj.jpg

FebAmazPixBB46_zps9xa4c1mc.jpg

FebAmazPixBB48_zpsybnzbibd.jpg

Inside the Opera House, they had this elaborate small ballroom area with a very involved ceiling and wall designs, plus a wood floor with many types and varieties of materials.:

FebAmazPixBB49_zps4oqpcbmr.jpg

FebAmazPixBB50_zpsslp39wt4.jpg

Here is my wife and our cruise ship's tour director outside of the Opera House on a second-floor balcony off of the box-seating areas.:

FebAmazPixBB47_zpsegoqo006.jpg

Here is the wrap up from our first day and evening in Manaus, on the ship, etc. Don't worry, all was not lavish and luxury in this town of two million people. Lots of typical "urban" looks, shopping areas, etc. Plus, next will be many highlights from our Amazon rainforest "adventure"!! Quite a wild story, very scenic, etc.

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 22,837 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Here is a final, more detailed view of the domed top of the Opera House. It is designed with these imported color, ceramic tiles to reflect the style of the Brazil national flag.:

FebAmazPixBB52_zps3vdivnjd.jpg

The final stop for our afternoon Grand tour of Manaus’ history was this huge and elaborate mansion owned during the peak days by one of the rubber barons. Rich, rich in its style and design.:

FebAmazPixBB53_zpspptydfpp.jpg

Dinner this evening was in the Italian speciality dining location. First shown is Calamari con Spinachi with some tomato sauce added for extra flavor. Then, but not shown, it was Risotto all Zucca, featuring pumpkin. Shown second is the night’s highlight: Ossobuco di Vitella al Forno. This braised veal shank with creamy polenta was super excellent. Love these kinds of dishes!! Then, the dessert offing.:

FebAmazPixBB54_zpsmvzzbi6q.jpg

FebAmazPixBB55_zpsszt9znld.jpg

FebAmazPixBB56_zpspsvuuou3.jpg

Here is cruise director Allen King doing a little “country western” music during this evening program. Plus, Allen’s colorful socks, corny/fun jokes, etc. It was a busy, interesting day!:

FebAmazPixBB57_zpsbzpv5cbl.jpg

Were there marrow spoons provided for the Osso bucco?

Just wondering, as they were requested on the Spirit and not to be found. Probably not in the repertoire of flatware.

Great photos of the Opera House. I have heard so much about it from other pax. Were you able to see any performances there? I know they have been offered in the past.

Amazing to extrapolate the cost of the Opera House into today's dollar, but even more so and as you mentioned the cost of importing materials to Manaus.

During your tour was the price of a ticket to a performance mentioned when the Opera House was completed, and would that preclude most people from attending an opera or other event?

Were there marrow spoons provided for the Osso bucco? Just wondering, as they were requested on the Spirit and not to be found. Probably not in the repertoire of flatware.

Great photos of the Opera House. I have heard so much about it from other pax. Were you able to see any performances there? I know they have been offered in the past. Amazing to extrapolate the cost of the Opera House into today's dollar, but even more so and as you mentioned the cost of importing materials to Manaus. During your tour was the price of a ticket to a performance mentioned when the Opera House was completed, and would that preclude most people from attending an opera or other event?

Appreciate the excellent above questions and your reactions/comments. That's the fun of doing an interactive live/blog in getting such feed-back.

On the Ossobuco di Vitella al Forno, do not remember any smaller spoons and/or discussion/consideration for that option/need. Will check more with the dining room staff. I love this dish, but am not that much of a "foodie" to focus on that type of "detail".

On the Opera House, I did not check on prices for events there. Many of the higher balcony seats were much cheaper due to the lesser visibility of the stage. You can Google this venue and probably see more details/options for current pricing there.

Below start the first of 36 different pictures from our Amazon "adventure". More details for what really happened, why and how during the upcoming posts.

To reach our forest, river, waterfall, cascade and cave locations near the Presidente Figueiredo National Park, it involved a journey of 107 km from Manaus. It took about a half hour to get through the various city parts of town. We passed many industrial locations, past where the Manaus stadium was located that hosted several of last year's World Cup games, the airport, etc. Now this below visual shows the look of this major north-bound highway that took toward the capital of Caracas, Venezuela. To reach that location? It's only 2,250 km, taking about two days to drive. This is the only major highway out from Manaus. For all other transpiration needs, it is done only by water/Amazon River or air. There is no road going south or SE to Rio or San Paulo. Not possible. Cannot be built!:

FebAmazRainForA1_zpsfvagcehp.jpg

Here are some samplings for the various early sights during our little "walk" in the rainforest. Fortunately, no rain for us today. But, we would have other challenges. When you walk into the "jungle", you get out of the sun and can really feel things not being as hot. BUT, it was still very humid. You can see Christine, our guide from Amazon Ecco Adventure Tours. She did an excellent job and was super hard-working as we "progressed" along these complicated trails.:

FebAmazRainForA3_zps2yofujb6.jpg

FebAmazRainForA4_zpsaawws5th.jpg

FebAmazRainForA2_zpslmvmzvyp.jpg

FebAmazRainForA5_zpsxx9mdz2g.jpg

FebAmazRainForA6_zpsnlmirwul.jpg

Now we get more into the "rest of the story" for why today was not a "walk in the park"!! Need more details?

In front of one of the large, large trees, here is my wife, Penny, plus Mark and Christine, from Philadelphia. We met with Milton from their firm the evening before, discussing our varied options for the next day. The main suggested option was billed as "a walk with a little more than 2 km in an estimated time of two and a half hours through a High Land forest comprising one of the biomes of Amazon which is along with the igapó (flooded forest during the flood period ) and Lowland (flooded area of the banks of the Amazon River )."

Sounds simple, right? My wife asked if there would be any concerns for us folks who are a little more than "middle-aged". "No problems" was the response. The challenge? Things were much more intense and extremely more difficult than we had expected and been advised. The bottom-line was with all of the ups and downs on extremely narrow, steep trails with many, many tree roots, and slippery clay soil, it became challenging for ALL of us. It ended up taking six hours before all of us safely emerged from the "walk". Once we were in the "jungle", there was no quick or easy way out. All ultimately turned out fine, but you will see below more of what we saw. These are not the nature and rainforests commonly available in Ohio or Pennsylvania. A word to the wise, ALWAYS ask questions and clearly state your understanding of the risks involved with any tour. We cannot underestimate the personal feelings of helplessness and risk to life when you find yourself and loved ones experiencing extreme stress and duress under conditions for which we were not totally prepared.:

FebAmazRainForA7_zpsrvwfbxrw.jpg

FebAmazRainForA8_zpsgviji88t.jpg

FebAmazRainForA9_zps8ratwrwl.jpg

FebAmazRainForA12_zpsgb9xgwfe.jpg

FebAmazRainForA11_zpspxwoxigv.jpg

FebAmazRainForA10_zpscahdench.jpg

Here are more visuals. Only a few of the many varied examples for life in the Amazon rainforest. Heard a number of interesting bird sounds, but did not see any of the flying creatures here. No other wildlife seen. Many hide well in these giant trees.

These four visuals samples give more for some of the variety we saw and experienced as we got closer to the ultimate "prize" on this day's big Amazon adventure.:

FebAmazRainForA16_zpsa34iyc70.jpg

FebAmazRainForA13_zpsf5yobq7z.jpg

FebAmazRainForA15_zps3qqwuiru.jpg

FebAmazRainForA14_zps2ge5gy5p.jpg

Here is what I thought of as a giant "pinch bug". But, as our guide explained to me later, it was only the outer shell or case for this little creature. It does look pretty scary and amazing in my picture, right?:

FebAmazRainForA17_zpsrdh3lasa.jpg

Here is the first of many views and angles connected with this famous waterfall and entrance to the cave areas. Look great?:

FebAmazRainForA18_zpsh8by0jry.jpg

These added six pictures reflect more of the amazement for being deep inside the Amazon rainforest, seeing this waterfall, the dramatic cliffs, etc.

Here is more from in and around this waterfall, then walking inside these caves with many bats and birds, etc. These caves run about 700 meters in length, but we only went inside for a short distance.:

FebAmazRainForA19_zpsvezqvds7.jpg

FebAmazRainForA20_zpsdgjqlksz.jpg

FebAmazRainForA22_zpsxfcstnxu.jpg

FebAmazRainForA21_zpsak2tm8to.jpg

FebAmazRainForA24_zpslpxxg0ub.jpg

FebAmazRainForA23_zps4zyvac24.jpg

Wow . . . where is Ramar when you need him?!

Good, cute response!! Here are more pictures from Tuesday's adventures.

Yes, there were feeling for feeling as if we were hiking with "Indiana Jones" during some South American search for hidden treasure.

The visuals speak for themselves on the varied nature shots, views and scenic angles:

FebAmazRainForA26_zpsdjakoqdg.jpg

FebAmazRainForA28_zpsxhwpp5ye.jpg

FebAmazRainForA25_zpsvglzgamz.jpg

FebAmazRainForA29_zpsidbmlsqe.jpg

FebAmazRainForA31_zpsdtrdmpzm.jpg

FebAmazRainForA27_zpsbn01n6f2.jpg

Terry, we were thrilled to be told that the balcony balustrades in the Opera House in Manaus were made here in Glasgow and shipped out to Brazil. They told us it was wrought iron open work rather than a solid front to the balconies because it helps with air flow and cooling. Interesting, eh?

those photos look like the backyard and sides of my property. Since i retired i have been working in earnest to reclaim it back from the jungle overgrowth, and have already driven some pygmy rattlers and other unwanted inhabitants away.

Your hike looked quite strenuous and i imagine it was beastly humid. However what an adventure!!

glad you survived it and shared it with us.

Terry, we were thrilled to be told that the balcony balustrades in the Opera House in Manaus were made here in Glasgow and shipped out to Brazil. They told us it was wrought iron open work rather than a solid front to the balconies because it helps with air flow and cooling. Interesting, eh?

I've seen bridges in Singapore, that were made in Glasgow!

Excellent engineering.

I've seen bridges in Singapore, that were made in Glasgow!

Excellent engineering.

The Cavenagh Bridge, just by The Fullerton was originally called "The Edinburgh Bridge" but made as you rightly say in Glasgow.

cavenagh_bridge

It is often photographed and causes a smile because of it's sign:

POLICE NOTICE:

CAVENAGH BRIDGE

THE USE OF THIS BRIDGE IS PROHIBITED TO ANY VEHICLE OF WHICH THE LADEN WEIGHT EXCEEDS 3 CWT. AND TO ALL CATTLE AND HORSES

BY ORDER

CHIEF POLICE OFFICER.

Cavenagh Bridge

:)

Thank you. Lots of the world's locomotives were also made in Glasgow.

patnlcc: Terry' date=' we were thrilled to be told that the balcony balustrades in the Opera House in Manaus were made here in Glasgow and shipped out to Brazil. They told us it was wrought iron open work rather than a solid front to the balconies because it helps with air flow and cooling. Interesting, eh? [/quote']

spinnaker2: other than the cliffs' date=' rock formations and waterfalls . . . those photos look like the backyard and sides of my property. Since i retired i have been working in earnest to reclaim it back from the jungle overgrowth, and have already driven some pygmy rattlers and other unwanted inhabitants away. Your hike looked quite strenuous and i imagine it was beastly humid. However what an adventure!! glad you survived it and shared it with us. [/quote']

Appreciate these follow-ups and all of the details on Glasgow, steel bridges, etc. Fun and interesting!!

On Teatro Amazonas, here are more details from Wikipedia: "The theatre's architectural style is considered typically Renaissance. The roofing tiles were imported from Alsace, the steel walls from Glasgow, Scotland and the Carrara marble for the stairs, statues and columns, from Italy. The dome is covered with 36,000 decorated ceramic tiles painted in the colors of the national flag of Brazil. The interior furnishing came from France in the Louis Quinze style. Italian artist Domenico de Angelis the Younger painted the panels that decorate the ceilings of the auditorium and of the audience chamber. The curtain, with its painting 'Meeting of the Waters', was originally created in Paris by Crispim do Amaral. The theatre's 198 chandeliers were imported from Italy, including 32 of Murano glass."

We have now arrived and are at anchor near the Amazon River community of Alter Do Chao. It is twenty-five miles from the city of Santarém, Brazil. It is named after the flat-topped hill that provides a natural backdrop and looks like a church alter. This small island is located on the Rio Tapajos, offering quaint cottages along the white-sand beaches. The town is lined with leafy palm trees and has Indian handicrafts, lush vegetation, turquoise lagoon and clear water, Alter Do Chão has become a popular destination for travelers. We are here only 8 am to 1 pm. Due to the limited development at this destination, there are no organized tours are available. Just "walking around time". The beach is not as much interest to us as we will have our many of those options during our nine-day, Barbados to San Juan to follow.

On that upcoming cruise, I just learned from my very able travel agent Silversea made a very smart schedule change for flipping two of those segments. Will share those details later.

To finish the visuals from the safe "escape" from the Amazon jungle, here are those final pictures. First, here is Mark giving a big hug to one of the key guys who helped him during the final period of that process. He's happy!! Then, we went to a nearby "local place" for a late, late lunch that was actually our dinner by time we arrived there. Fun, interesting food. Great tastes and people. It was located near this waterfall that many from Manaus use as a weekend "get-away. Here's a nice smiling, post-escape picture of Mark and Christine at our dinner location. Finally, here is a large statute of local "color" in this resort-type location.:

FebAmazRainForA1%201_zpsqjaf81rq.jpg

FebAmazRainForA35_zpsucwpfpfq.jpg

FebAmazRainForA34_zpsldbvpmly.jpg

FebAmazRainForA33_zpsznrxkwju.jpg

FebAmazRainForA36_zpskffps2rt.jpg

Here is a quick preview for what is to be coming next to be posted later today or tomorrow. This is just one sample of the cultural dance/music show that we experienced yesterday. Lots of great costumes, performers, etc. Like the "looks" of the happy ladies?:

FebAmazRainForA2%201_zpsrnigc4rm.jpg

Great photos and info re the Opera House Manaus.Another point of interest we were told which is shown on your picture of the square surrounded by the trees outside the entrance with the statue as the central feature was that the square itself was laid in alternate dark and light tiles to depict the meeting of the waters which occurs quite close to Manaus.They really did think of everything with this amazing building and surrounds.Thanks for your wonderful reports and pics so far.

Below are some visuals from our very interesting visit to the small and totally-isolated river village of Boca da Valeria. These pictures do tell a story. Kind of way too touristy and almost feeling a little exploitive for us to be visiting there. BUT, that experience reminds us how very, very fortunate so many of us, especially those on this ship, are to have our many life options and experiences. You can see in the pictures, however, the single electric line running down the middle of the dirty path in this village and the two homes with satellite dishes. Such a dramatic contrast!!

First, here is the approaching view to Boca da Valeria with the church and school showing prominently in the middle. Second is a view down the "main path" of this village with an electric line and satellite dish shown. There are lots of children begging for "one dollar", plus a local dressed up in costume ready to pose for pictures. As shown, several of the children has small animals to add to the appeal and local color. Plus, the excepted "sharing" of a dollar for doing a picture. From this advance reading/research, I knew to bring extra dollars. A nice UK couple gave me an envelope with ten one's in it to deliver to the school teacher. Very nice and friendly people here, BUT!!??:[/b]

From reading these Cruise Critic boards, I knew in advance that it would be good to bring pens and pencils and others items to share with these children in this village. I also had a good friend with Bath and Body in Columbus who got me some small samples of their products to take and deliver here. When arriving in Boca da Valeria, I first visited the school to deliver these to the school teacher. From Channel 10/CBS TV in Columbus, Ohio, they gave me some small balls, plus four larger, blow-up plastic balls. Nothing too fancy. I blew one of these balls up and the local boys are shown below outside having fun with this gift item. Not World Cup soccer, but it was enjoyable seeing them playing, not trying to beg for dollars at this time. In the background, you can see the Silver Cloud anchored in the Amazon while the orange ship tender bring people to this village. The rains were super heavy in the late morning, but it was dry by the time we came in early afternoon.:

Thanks for bringing back many great memories from our Cloud cruise up the Amazon just over 2 years ago.We went towards the end of 2012.Amazing to see the difference in water levels.At Boca da Valeria the soccer pitch they were using then is under water in your photos.

972.JPG[img].973.JPG[img].

The young girl with the bird has grown up but has lost a couple of birds.

969.JPG[img]

And where you had a local ferry was dry land.

976.JPG[img].

So we landed on the river bank.

amazon%2520ad%2520032.JPG[img]

Then at Manaus here was your view of the dock area.

1053.JPG[img]

I was going to post earlier but have a continuimg saga with posting pictures-explained on the how to post a picture thread.

Once again thanks for the magnificent report.

sorry I had to delete the copies of your pics to get to my limit for a post.