Live: Amazon River, Caribbean, Many Pix’s, Terry/Ohio

TLCOhio

Here are more samples for the range of varied and interesting sights with Gil doing the hidden and narrow waterways of the Amazon.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

This range of activities including a old, abandoned housing structure along the waterside, a kingfisher bird (as I recall the name), greenery/flowery sights, a water buffalo doing his daily dining and finishing with a special hawk in action during our journey.:

FebAmazPixA11%201_zpsfy9hxria.jpg

FebAmazPixA12%201_zpswuxyjc6h.jpg

FebAmazPixA20_zpsrdel9a4f.jpg

FebAmazPixA15%201_zpsjqmjrwkm.jpg

FebAmazPixA16%201_zpsaiwnrbic.jpg

FebAmazPixA22_zpspqi4v2bz.jpg

Gil promised and found the hidden area with these amazing giant water lilies. So wonderful to see these up close and personal!

Here is an occupied, very basic housing structure in these water areas. These folks live here part of the hear, but have to go upland when the water levels rise up. Then samples of dramatic giant water lilies. Plus another example water plant/flower views.:

FebAmazPixA18_zpscccdhmum.jpg

FebAmazPixA19_zpsmkos2eiv.jpg

FebAmazPixA21_zpsjpnmod2x.jpg

FebAmazPixA17_zps9sms55st.jpg

Here are another example for the sights and views in these water areas. There were not many others seen on these water, but this picture shares one example of folks who knew Gil and were sharing some "fun" in what they held up.:

FebAmazPixA23_zps7tlhcf0r.jpg

When returning to the main town, here was one of the tour boats used by most on our ship. Larger boat, but not able to get back into the smaller, narrow waterways that we experienced and super enjoyed.:

FebAmazPixA27_zpscmnhwhjn.jpg

Terry, thanks again for the sharing the wonderful commentary with outstanding pix. Most CCrs do not realize the significant commitment of time (time away from your wife on board) & resources ($$, camera equipment) you are using to share these with us--thank you.

Edited by WesW

To wrap up the coverage for our day in and around Santarem, here are the final six visuals from my photo "adventuring". Weather was decent (for the Amazon) and actually very good. Yes, it was warm, maybe in the 80'sF, high 90's%+ humidity, but the breeze was constant and super refreshing.

Just noticed that this will be my Cruise Critic posting number 14,000. Amazing getting to that level.

We have arrived in our small village for today, but it is raining outside. Well, we are in and around the rainforest, right? What else would you expect?

Sloths? Yes, we got to see how these unique creatures hide high in the trees. Plus, notice how unique are their back coats? It was fun also to see this one hanging upside down.:

FebAmazPixA24_zpscwm4e5xw.jpg

FebAmazPixA25_zpsuqsrokoi.jpg

FebAmazPixA26_zps0svyju1c.jpg

On our way back, here are a couple more of the shore examples for life here along the Amazon River. Remember that there are virtually no highways to connect most of the towns and supply their needs in this fast region. The rivers are the highways. Only by water or air can things be delivered, moved, etc. Lots of large barges are used to move building materials, goods, etc., around. This river-connection is also reflected by one of the ships used to transportation area residents where the "rooms" have great views, balconies, but no walls. People will sleep in the hammocks, outdoors, etc.! Fully air conditioned, naturally!!:

FebAmazPixA28_zpsdvaslfm7.jpg

FebAmazPixA29_zpsrwgsrcub.jpg

As we arrived back on shore, here is my photo to prove that we had a great time. You can see Gil (with his beard), our boat owner/driver and my wife giving the thumbs up signal.:

FebAmazPixA30_zpsb3n1arnl.jpg

Terry, thanks again for the sharing the wonderful commentary with outstanding pix. Most CCrs do not realize the significant commitment of time (time away from your wife on board) & resources ($$, camera equipment) you are using to share these with us--thank you.

Appreciate so much, Wes, your kind comments. Yes, this live/blogging does take some time and effort. BUT, it also helps to focus some "disciple" to get your pictures organized, be properly edited, etc. Plus, while my wife is reading her books (mysteries being her favorite), I do this mix of photography and writing as my "hobby" interest during these types of trips.

The rain is getting harder and much heavier here as we await our timing to go ashore to this small village. Super pouring right now!! So back on the computer. Will comment more on some of the recent post. Keep it coming!! The fun for this sharing is getting the various comments, plus hearing from JP on the bad weather now hitting parts of the USA.

Many more pictures for ship life, food, etc., to come.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 26,386 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Terry, I notice your wife has a long sleeved top on, is this because of the high humidity and therefore chance of being bitten by mosquitoes?

spinnaker2: Thanks for including us on the mighty river!

tripperva: This has to be one of the best blogs ever posted. What an effort! Many thanks. Please keep it up. Tripperva

Appreciate the very good question from Jackie and Adrian! Yes' date=' my wife was more covered up yesterday, our first day to be ashore while in the Amazon River basin. We found out early in December that my wife was not able to get the yellow fever live vaccine due to a recently-discovered immune system situation. [b']That created a little panic time on many different levels!! [/b] BUT, after more research and planning, it seemed reasonable for most of these areas to do shore things, assuming you are well covered up, using lots of Deet, etc. Working well, so far.

Glad that tripperva said "one of the best blogs ever posted". Need that person as my "agent".

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 22,837 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Terry - from one of your 'cooler' buddies: You should really be being paid by Silversea to spend time putting the Amazon pictures on here, as well as the food ones. I know you would be taking the photos anyway, but it must take quite a while to put these posts on, and is much appreciated. Just have enough time to relax and enjoy as well!

The scenery and animals are just wonderful, I didn't think I would like to do an Amazon trip, but now feeling quite different about the possibility, in spite of the long flights.

Thanks again, LL

Terry - from one of your 'cooler' buddies: You should really be being paid by Silversea to spend time putting the Amazon pictures on here, as well as the food ones. I know you would be taking the photos anyway, but it must take quite a while to put these posts on, and is much appreciated. Just have enough time to relax and enjoy as well! The scenery and animals are just wonderful, I didn't think I would like to do an Amazon trip, but now feeling quite different about the possibility, in spite of the long flights. Thanks again, LL

Appreciate the kind comments from LL. YES, I need you as my agent to negotiate with Silversea. Good thinking and great idea!! Don't worry about my relaxing and enjoying. This sharing is fun for me.

Lots on this cruise from the UK. Yes, it's a long distance to travel, but the "prize" is well worth it, based on what we've experienced, so far.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 96,554 views for this posting.

As we were getting for the sail-way from Santarem, the sun created a nice dramatic look on the clouds above the town. In this port area you can also see the large passenger transport ships as they were arriving. Second is the Silver Cloud Captain and his top assistant are preparing to depart this port. This is the first sailing on the Amazon for this experience Silversea Captain. Third is the view as the sun is preparing to set in the area of the Santarem port where the oil/gasoline products are unloaded, stored, etc. No pipelines to these locations in the massive and mostly wild Amazon region.:

FebAmazPixBB2_zpsasti8g0n.jpg

FebAmazPixBB1_zpskcc98woh.jpg

FebAmazPixBB3_zpsywxn7psl.jpg

For those with major concerns that we are neglecting our "dining duties", here are some visual samples from last night.

Here is a sampling for dinner and dessert in the main dining room last evening. The first course was a crab delight. Second was lobster bisque, but no point in sharing a picture on that soup. Not as visually interesting. Then was my main "fish of the day" with lots of good sauces, plus risotto. Then, dessert. Had to share and try two different offerings. Then, in the last visual is the wonderful harp artist from Paraguay. And, one of the ship singers, also from that same South American country, is doing a joint musical performance with him. Very nice. The harp artist just stopped by in Panorama Lounge. I showed him my pictures from last night. He is departing from Manaus tomorrow to return to London. And then he heads to Australia to perform on the three different Cunard cruise lines named after the British Queens.:

FebAmazPixBB4_zps3ufl5bt0.jpg

FebAmazPixBB5_zpskkurutjn.jpg

FebAmazPixBB6_zpsdcfavqmg.jpg

FebAmazPixBB8_zpsb183ftja.jpg

FebAmazPixBB7_zpsbmmku5n5.jpg

Your photography is fantastic. You are a real pro. Thank you for the wonderful visual trip.

You should really be being paid by Silversea to spend time putting the Amazon pictures on here, as well as the food ones. I know you would be taking the photos anyway, but it must take quite a while to put these posts on, and is much appreciated.

Terry,

You need to apply for a post as 'port lecturer,' or as Celebrity say 'Enrichment Lecturer.'

Jackie

Edited by upwarduk

Those desserts look small Terry, are you eating healthy on this cruise? Diane from Dublin

upwarduk: Terry' date=' You need to apply for a post as 'port lecturer,' or as Celebrity say 'Enrichment Lecturer.' Jackie [/quote']

chiconana: Amazing Photos. Your photography is fantastic. You are a real pro. Thank you for the wonderful visual trip.

Don't worry' date=' Diane, we are[b'] glad that the desserts and most of the dinner portions[/b] are more modest. It is way too, too easy to eat lots and lots. That does the wrong things that the middle part of our bodies.

For Jackie, your ideas sound great. Get me line up with that work and I will reward you with a 10% commission as my agent.

Appreciate ALL of these nice comments. Keep it coming and I will continue to share lots more pictures.

Just got back from Boca da Valeria. It is located between Santarém and Manaus, being at the entrance to the Valeria Channel (boca meaning mouth). The channel leads to Lake Valeria, which marks the border between the States of Amazonas and Pará. While the ship is at anchor, a colorful picture happens as canoes with the local population come out to meet the ship. There are "trade-offs" in providing this type of Amazon experience. This village is tiny. Clearly a poor, isolated community. Kids are coming up and asking for dollars. The ship’s tenders take you to this typical Caboclo (river dwellers) villages to offer a glimpse of the natives’ traditional lifestyle. We saw kids with monkeys and other animals/birds, plus a selection of local handicrafts, etc. Many, many pictures to review and share here soon.

Did a June, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. We are now at 193,578 views for this live/blog re-cap. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As I was up about 6:45 am and being the first to walk into the Panorama Lounge on the back of the Silver Cloud, I was greeted by the sun starting to rise. BUT, the setting? It is the total width and breadth of the always-evolving Amazon River. We are about 850 miles inland from the Atlantic Ocean. These early morning sights are totally amazing in so many different ways!! I've taken a nice picture to share later, but your camera cannot come close to capturing ALL that I am experiencing right now.

We will arrive at 1 pm today in Manaus. More details later in this large city of nearly two million people that sits as the "hub" or center of this vast Amazon River region.

Below are some visuals from our very interesting visit to the small and totally-isolated river village of Boca da Valeria. These pictures do tell a story. Kind of way too touristy and almost feeling a little exploitive for us to be visiting there. BUT, that experience reminds us how very, very fortunate so many of us, especially those on this ship, are to have our many life options and experiences. You can see in the pictures, however, the single electric line running down the middle of the dirty path in this village and the two homes with satellite dishes. Such a dramatic contrast!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 170,698 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

First, here is the approaching view to Boca da Valeria with the church and school showing prominently in the middle. Second is a view down the "main path" of this village with an electric line and satellite dish shown. There are lots of children begging for "one dollar", plus a local dressed up in costume ready to pose for pictures. As shown, several of the children has small animals to add to the appeal and local color. Plus, the excepted "sharing" of a dollar for doing a picture. From this advance reading/research, I knew to bring extra dollars. A nice UK couple gave me an envelope with ten one's in it to deliver to the school teacher. Very nice and friendly people here, BUT!!??:

FebAmazPixBB18_zpsnf2fcxgo.jpg

FebAmazPixBB9_zpsagzkyecq.jpg

FebAmazPixBB13_zps8li8pico.jpg

FebAmazPixBB10_zpskorhxtdu.jpg

From reading these Cruise Critic boards, I knew in advance that it would be good to bring pens and pencils and others items to share with these children in this village. I also had a good friend with Bath and Body in Columbus who got me some small samples of their products to take and deliver here. When arriving in Boca da Valeria, I first visited the school to deliver these to the school teacher. From Channel 10/CBS TV in Columbus, Ohio, they gave me some small balls, plus four larger, blow-up plastic balls. Nothing too fancy. I blew one of these balls up and the local boys are shown below outside having fun with this gift item. Not World Cup soccer, but it was enjoyable seeing them playing, not trying to beg for dollars at this time. In the background, you can see the Silver Cloud anchored in the Amazon while the orange ship tender bring people to this village. The rains were super heavy in the late morning, but it was dry by the time we came in early afternoon.:

FebAmazPixBB12_zpszdieg1bm.jpg

Finally in part one of these pictures, here is one of pretty flower sights as I walked in this small Amazon village.:

FebAmazPixBB14_zpsnl4wdsd5.jpg

Here is the second part of my visuals from visiting Boca da Valeria along the Amazon River. This town gets a total of about 40-50 smaller cruise ship visiting here during the course of a one year period.

I took many more interesting pictures of the people and sights in the village. These twelve pictures hopefully express, in a photo-journalism style, a little sampling for what we saw and experienced. These memories from here were very moving and different from what you see in most port towns.

Both around the cruise ship and in the village, many from the village were offering tours in their small boats for 30 minutes back into the nearby natural, highly-treed areas. The cost was $5 per person. I did not do that as we had done such a nature-exploring journey the day before. Others who have done it earlier in this village, highly suggested doing this options. Below, you can see one of these boats heading off in that direction with passengers from our ship.:

FebAmazPixBB11_zpskxbhxblc.jpg

Here is a more candid, not posed, visual of a mother and her children in their wooden home on stilts. These houses needed to be set high as the river comes up fairly significantly during the rain season here.:

FebAmazPixBB17_zpskurxuoat.jpg

A number of the locals had hand-crafted items for sale at various little booths along their "main street". Here was a lady holding up the little purse that I bought for wife. Cost? $3. Memories? Priceless!! My wife did not go ashore in this village due to her desire and need to keep at a minimum any exposure to bug bite challenges. No big problems for me and others from our in visiting here. My wife wanted to play things very safe.:

FebAmazPixBB16_zpskmxe7tvt.jpg

Lots of the local girls would grab passenger hands and offer to walk with them while visiting this village. Here is a couple of the ladies from our ship with some of these children. We have to know these two ladies well. They both live with five minutes of each other in an area north of West Palm Beach, Florida.:

FebAmazPixBB15_zpsk9y5icme.jpg

As we were returning to the ship, here is a local resident waving good bye to us.:

FebAmazPixBB19_zpsxcwgnusr.jpg

As we came back around the Silver Cloud, this visual shows how small boats by the locals were there hoping to attract business from those on the ship. From a security stand-point, it seemed highly unusual for Silversea to allow people and small boats to be this close to the ship. BUT, I think that the officers knew that this was part of "culture" and practice for this part of the Amazon when visiting such a village. Have these locals coming out to greet the ship earlier in the morning was very interesting to see and observe.:

FebAmazPixBB20_zps7drwnf5r.jpg

Lots more great visuals to share, but now rushing off to breakfast before a 10 am Beatles program/presentation, then a 11:15 am magic background secrets, etc. Just this one quick picture for right now.

Here is that sunrise view on the Amazon about which I mentioned a few minutes earlier. Can you understand why being on the back of the ship and seeing this view would be so inspiring?:

FebAmazPixBB21_zpsri5mlkxu.jpg

Everything worked well and on-time for our 1 pm docking yesterday in Manaus, nearly a 1000 miles inland from the Atlantic Ocean. It's a real CITY!! Big! About two million people here as the capital of a vast mass of territory. Lots of boat traffic here, various plants, tall buildings, etc. We visited yesterday the Opera House, market, museum, the home of an old rubber baron, etc. Lots of pictures to share, but no time this morning to get ALL of that put together. We are off at 9 am for an all-day, "nature/ecco" adventure to see more of the nearby areas. Got to see various waterfalls, caves, forests, etc.

At nearly 5,000 views for this live/blog and appreciate those who have dropped by, Especially like those who have made comments, suggestions, etc. Don't be shy. Happy to answer any questions!!

More later on some added great ship food, including last night. More shows, fun presentations, etc.

Manaus is located on the banks of the Rio Negro. The “Meeting of the Waters” takes place four miles from Manaus, where the Rio Solimões meets the Rio Negro to become the Amazon. Real difference in the "black" waters of the Rio Negro versus the brown, muddy Amazon.

This city is a product of the rubber boom. When steam navigation in the mid-19th century opened up the jungle, it spurred the rubber industry and mass immigration. Under Governor Eduardo Ribeiro the famous Opera House and broad avenues were built. The materials for this Opera House and many other buildings had to be fabricated and shipped into this middle of the jungle location by boat from Europe.

For the rich, Manaus was a place of sheer luxury to connect with the fine urban style they had enjoyed in Europe. Palaces and grand mansions were erected. The time was passed with elaborate entertainment, dances and concerts. By the turn of the century, it was an opulent metropolis run by elegant people who dressed and housed themselves as fashionably as their counterparts in any large European city. In fact, the year 1899 saw Manaus as the first Brazilian city to have trolley buses and the second one to have electric streetlights. But the splendor of the “Paris in the Jungle” only lasted about thirty years. When the rubber market began to collapse in 1914, the city’s fortune declined as well.

As a river port, Manaus is a fascinating spectacle. Although the real attractions lie in the surrounding forests and tributaries, the city’s most famous attraction is no doubt the opulent Teatro Amazonas. Completed in 1896 after 17 years of construction and at a cost of $3 million, about a billion dollars in today's value. The Manaus Opera House recently underwent a lengthy restoration program and it does really shine once more to represent and reflect its original splendor. It only seats 701. Around the Opera House and at other stops yesterday, we saw many buildings from that interesting era. We also saw lots of the "urban flavor" that makes this town one were you need to be careful where you are going and what you are doing. Had a couple of "incidents" yesterday with ship passengers.

We really enjoyed our time visiting the Mercado Municipal. It is an imposing cast-iron structure designed in 1882 after Les Halles in Paris. Although the art-nouveau ironwork was imported from Europe, its has acquired an Amazonian character, both inside and outside. Our strolling through this market provided lots of local color and some interesting visual samples. More later on all of the visual "eye candy" from this heart of the Amazon.

But today, we shift from the city to the side of nature, life and the ecology of the Amazon region.

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 96,749 views for this posting.

Terry - loved the pictures of the village and its people. Looking forward to the comparison between the wilderness and the big city of Manaus. Hope you're still having a great time!

Super appreciate the notice and mention by JP about the series of pictures on that small village and its people. Given the huge rain storms that morning, we were lucky to make our visit there in the afternoon. AND, it worked so well. The mix of pictures came together in a nice and fortunate way to reflect the sharp, at times jarring, contrasts seen there.

YES! on your question as to whether we are having a "great time" or not!!

Yesterday, we had an amazing journey into the Amazon jungle about 107 km north of Amazon. We left about 9 am and did not return, fortunately, till about 9 pm. It was a REAL ADVENTURE!! Many more pictures and details coming soon. This morning, I did more detailed walking around in the fish and produce markets. Really colorful and totally fascinating today.

The rest of today? Resting and catching up a little. Relaxing by the Silver Cloud pool right now. Will grab lunch. Nice breeze happening to help compensation for the hot and humid weather right now. Per AccuWeather, Manaus is partly sunny, currently at 88°F with a "RealFeel" of 95°F. Low tonight here on the Amazon will drop down to 74°F.

By contrast, here is the weather tonight for Columbus, Ohio, from AccuWeather: clear and bitterly cold, low 12°F, with a "RealFeel" of 5°F.

Did a June, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 193,812 views for this live/blog re-cap. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474