When to call customer service?

Victrola

Booked flights early and direct with airlines for June Cruise. Followed all the suggestions I could find on CC. Plenty of time between flights arrive days early and all that. Now the airlines has changed flights 3 times in 4 months and connection times are real short on outbound portion. On return trip they even added another stop with long layover which moved up departure time by 5 hours.

I figured out from tips here to call the airlines customer service and tell them the new flights don't work with our schedule and ask to have flights changed. So question is when to call? If I call now they will most likely change the flights again, wait to close to June might not find what works best. Any suggestions?

Now. By waiting it presumes that you have accepted the changes.

and not only that....if there are a lot of people on the flight, you risk waiting so long and having other people get the seats they want...and you winding up with middle sets in the back if that's all that's left by the time you call.

as to What time of day to call or when to call....all of the people on those 7700 or however many flights were cancelled are also trying to call and rebook their flights. Youmight want to wait 1-2 days until all of those people have rescheduled their flights. Hold times right now are probably long...and you will hear over and over and over how important your call is to the airline....

and not only that....if there are a lot of people on the flight, you risk waiting so long and having other people get the seats they want...and you winding up with middle sets in the back if that's all that's left by the time you call.

as to What time of day to call or when to call....all of the people on those 7700 or however many flights were cancelled are also trying to call and rebook their flights. Youmight want to wait 1-2 days until all of those people have rescheduled their flights. Hold times right now are probably long...and you will hear over and over and over how important your call is to the airline....

Not just that you wont get your choice of seats on the flight...you may not get the flights you want either. Load factors are in the 85% range right now, and that's systemwide. Which means many are going out at 100%.

I'd agree with the advice to wait a few days until the northeast mess is sorted out. Those agents are frazzled and just want to move people through the queue as fast as they can. Better to wait and get an agent that will be happy to spend the time to work with you. (or at least improve your odds of getting one)

Call now (or in a day or two after the frenzy has died down from those affected by the storm, and if the schedule changes drastically again, call again.

Note: You mentioned that you booked directly with the airline, but just keep in mind that if you'd booked with Choice Air, the same changes would have occurred.

I think I will take the advice and wait till airlines are back to some type of normal schedule before calling.

Ashland>> is that a family name? We have a daughter also named Ashland from an old southern plantation in NC where my wife grew up. Don't hear that name very often

Thanks Again

When you call, be prepared and have flight options/suggestions that you are OK with handy.

You can either look on the Airlines website or check out ITA Software.

The more prepared you are when you call, the better your chance of a satisfactory outcome.

I think I will take the advice and wait till airlines are back to some type of normal schedule before calling.

Ashland>> is that a family name? We have a daughter also named Ashland from an old southern plantation in NC where my wife grew up. Don't hear that name very often

Thanks Again

My original home town.

When you call, be prepared and have flight options/suggestions that you are OK with handy.

You can either look on the Airlines website or check out ITA Software.

The more prepared you are when you call, the better your chance of a satisfactory outcome.

Yes...good advice...I always have my flight options and seats I am requesting...they don't have to spend much time on the phone with me.

Not just that you wont get your choice of seats on the flight...you may not get the flights you want either. Load factors are in the 85% range right now, and that's systemwide. Which means many are going out at 100%.

I'd agree with the advice to wait a few days until the northeast mess is sorted out. Those agents are frazzled and just want to move people through the queue as fast as they can. Better to wait and get an agent that will be happy to spend the time to work with you. (or at least improve your odds of getting one)

I have the same situation with flights for my cruise in March and this is a non-stop domestic flight that they have changed 4 times already. Last night I noticed another flight change and immediately called the airline customer service. I was speaking with a representative in less than 30 seconds. When, if ever, do they "lock" a flight to a schedule? When it's sold out?

I have the same situation with flights for my cruise in March and this is a non-stop domestic flight that they have changed 4 times already. Last night I noticed another flight change and immediately called the airline customer service. I was speaking with a representative in less than 30 seconds. When, if ever, do they "lock" a flight to a schedule? When it's sold out?

As far as "lock" in ... Various things involved in a flight can change anytime...even once you're in your seat.

When, if ever, do they "lock" a flight to a schedule? When it's sold out?
Remember that it is not just your flight that is being changed. All instances of that flight are being moved, not just on your date. This is due to changes in market demand, aircraft availability, crew availability and changes to other flights.

This is an intricate ballet of metal and people - with hub & spoke operations, you need to coordinate schedules across the system. For instance, it's not just the flight from your city to Atlanta, it's how that interfaces with flights then going out to many destinations. And vice versa. Also, your aircraft needed to come from somewhere, and how that city-pair affects your schedule.

And being sold out has nothing to do with a flight being "locked in". It does have an effect on demand component of the algorithms for scheduling equipment.

Finally, remember that there is a difference between a change in the regular schedule and an operational change for a single specific flight. The latter can happen at any time, say when the dreaded mechanical rears its head.