Canadian cruisers!!

I checked two days ago and it was 1.50. I asked how often the rate was set and was transferred to a supervisor. He told me that with the fluctuating dollar, it is re visited every 1 to 2 weeks and recommended that I keep checking back as he said things can change quickly.

I will check in a few days dollar seams to be going in the right direction, so maybe fingers crossed they might go to mid 1.30's

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I will check in a few days dollar seams to be going in the right direction, so maybe fingers crossed they might go to mid 1.30's

The cruise I booked today was at less than 1.30 so $1.50 for OBC is crazy high

1.5 for OBC???...official rate at the banks is around 1.38....you would be stupid to pay them 1.5.....

I cant believe they went that high as the dollar as NEVER been at that rate recently.....even when it bottomed out at 68.39

But Royals pricing on their cruises' seems to be around 25-30% exchange rate which is pretty fair...too bad their OBC wasn't the same.

Wow, they are clueless. I just had a supervisor tell me that the 1.5 rate was set when the booking opened for the sailing. The booking opened a year ago, when the exchange rate was around 1.25. They assured me that when the booking opened (ie-1 year ago), the exchange rate was 1.5.

This morning, the exchange rate is around 1.35. Is this Royal Caribbean's new business model? To tack a 15% commission onto exchange rate? And then try to convince the customer that is what the exchange rate really was?

Edited by Host Jacquelyn

Wow, they are clueless. I just had a supervisor tell me that the 1.5 rate was set when the booking opened for the sailing. The booking opened a year ago, when the exchange rate was around 1.25. They assured me that when the booking opened (ie-1 year ago), the exchange rate was 1.5.

So is this Royal Caribbean's new business model? To tack a 15% commission onto exchange rate? And then try to convince the customer that is what the exchange rate really was?

I'm not suggesting you do this, just curious of you can. If you're booked in Canadian, can you just add OBC in US to your account and let your credit card do the exchange? I realize it's not as beneficial as the great Canadian rate they used to have but certainly better than the ridiculous 1.5

I'm not suggesting you do this, just curious of you can. If you're booked in Canadian, can you just add OBC in US to your account and let your credit card do the exchange? I realize it's not as beneficial as the great Canadian rate they used to have but certainly better than the ridiculous 1.5

Nope. Since the booking was in CDN$, it will automatically convert at 1.5. I spoke to Resolutions who told me that I could do exactly what you suggested, but when she tried she realized she could not. In any case, I am not sailing for a while and I am sure this 1.5 will be adjusted, but at this point the rate is just plain userious.

Nope. Since the booking was in CDN$, it will automatically convert at 1.5. I spoke to Resolutions who told me that I could do exactly what you suggested, but when she tried she realized she could not. In any case, I am not sailing for a while and I am sure this 1.5 will be adjusted, but at this point the rate is just plain userious.

Is that the case with anything you prepurchase too, such as Drink Packages?

Is that the case with anything you prepurchase too, such as Drink Packages?

I didn't think so. Onboard Credit goes through Gifts and Gear, which is different from Drink Packages or Excursions. I didn't try though, so I can't say what exchange rate they use. Crazy that they are juggling multiple exchange rates :confused:

Tough pill to swallow, 90.00+ dollars cnd per day for drink package

I saw that too and cringed ... and Chops for $49 CDN. I really hope they have the drink cards on my sailing.

Well apparently third time and 25 mins on hold did the trick. I got my extra 5%. I also had them add back in the prepaid gratuities that I initially removed as they're being calculated at 21% Thanks everyone

Glad it worked out for you. There was no reason you shouldn't have got it in the first place. ;)

From what I've heard the card only come out the last few days

On Oasis this past January, the card was being advertised late Tuesday so that's when we bought it. We found the 10 drink card worked out great for us. It really was a good deal...just keep your eyes on all the signs around the ship and you'll see it advertised somewhere. :)

Thank you to everyone on this thread...I called and they took $300 of my promenade cabin on harmony.

Should I pre pay tips now ? Or buy OBC?

If the Gifts & Gear people are still selling OBC at $1.50 CAD to $1.00 USD then definitely don't buy that :eek:

On my Grandeur sailing, pre-paid gratuities were $15.91 CAD per person, per day, so an effective rate of approximately 1.23 ($12.95 USD non-suite). You should check what they'll charge you in CAD and see if it's a good deal -- it likely will be.

If the Gifts & Gear people are still selling OBC at $1.50 CAD to $1.00 USD then definitely don't buy that :eek:

On my Grandeur sailing, pre-paid gratuities were $15.91 CAD per person, per day, so an effective rate of approximately 1.23 ($12.95 USD non-suite). You should check what they'll charge you in CAD and see if it's a good deal -- it likely will be.

That's the rate I got booking yesterday. I initially had them remove the prepaid gears but then I did the math and had them add them back on.

When I pull up my reservation in cruise planner all the prices are in CAD$.Is there a way to purchase packages in USD?

The premium drink package is showing $92 PER DAY CDN...but website shows $59 USD. That is a bad exchange rate.

Just bought some US$ at the bank today and the rate I was charged was 1.36. Definitely cheaper than Royals rate currently.

:) That sure is a better rate than Royal is offering! I got some US at the bank last week and it was $1.38 so it's heading in the right direction. Hope it continues!

When I pull up my reservation in cruise planner all the prices are in CAD$.Is there a way to purchase packages in USD?

The premium drink package is showing $92 PER DAY CDN...but website shows $59 USD. That is a bad exchange rate.

You can wait till you board and purchase the package in US dollars.

If you purchased your cruise in CAD then everything that you purchase for it prior to sailing (drink packages, excursions,etc.) will also be in CAD.

Edited by hancogran

:) That sure is a better rate than Royal is offering! I got some US at the bank last week and it was $1.38 so it's heading in the right direction. Hope it continues!

I could have bought it today for 1.34...definitely heading in the right direction :)

You can wait till you board and purchase the package in US dollars.

If you purchased your cruise in CAD then everything that you purchase for it prior to sailing (drink packages, excursions,etc.) will also be in CAD.

Thanks

Just bought some US$ at the bank today and the rate I was charged was 1.36. Definitely cheaper than Royals rate currently.

I just withdrew some from my US account today. It wasn't painful, and if I don't spend all my OBC onboard I will be brining more home than I took down. ;)