Canadian cruisers!!

The onboard credit rate for our next cruise on the Brilliance is $1.32 today (Sunday, since Friday when the banks closed). Login to your Cruise Planner and hover over the interactive 'i" beside the onboard credit line (if you have some) at the top of the page.

The Cruise Planner drop-down window says:

TODAY'S EXCHANGE RATE

Today's onboard credit exchange rate is listed below. This exchange rate can fluctuate until you make your first purchase using onboard credit. At that time, your exchange rate will be locked. 1USD > 1.32CAD

I understand this to mean that rate would be locked in for all other onboard charges, like tips. I'll check the rate tomorrow and am thinking about ordering a coffee card to lock in the rate. Would buy one for DH anyway. Awhile back, it was $1.37 and I didn't bite!

The rate that you lock in at is the rate that your OBC in US$ gets converted to CDN$ for use through the cruise planner. It has nothing to do with what the items in the cruise planner will be sold for. The best outcome would have been to lock in at the high rate and then have prices in the cruise planner fall.

We're also on that cruise.........have you noticed the drink package prices? WOW.......from $55pp pd, to $75 per person per day.

WOW

Sounds nice to me :D

Yes, I'm really hoping the value of our dollar improves. For now, as the dollar drops so does our cabin category and onboard/excursion spending :(. That's OK, as long as I can keep cruising and get away from the snow in the winter!

• 2 weeks later...

Our dollar is slowly getting better. This pic was on CBC today about our exchange rate over the last week or so. They used a great comparison with the cost of a cruise. We all get that comparison.[emoji846]b000593374e90682701c4f60f9ce6b6a.jpg

I bought $100 US OBC for 130 Can yesterday.

Is that your credit card exchange rate ? I called RCI and was told need to buy USD shipboard credit and pay what the credit card charges.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Is that your credit card exchange rate ? I called RCI and was told need to buy USD shipboard credit and pay what the credit card charges.

did you pay your cruise fare in USD? that could be why

Nope paid in CAD

I bought mine through my cruise planner at my rate of 1.30. Bought it back when that was still a good deal. Paid $130 Cdn for $100 USD OBC.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I bought mine through my cruise planner at my rate of 1.30. Bought it back when that was still a good deal. Paid $130 Cdn for $100 USD OBC.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

:confused: Where in the Cruise Planner is it listed? We've always had to call gifts and gear or C&A to purchase OBC... maybe this is something new?

Nope paid in CAD

Sounds like you had an RCI rep who gave you bad information, then...with the RCI exchange rate not being very good, I haven't bought OBC in a while, but they're supposed to quote a rate for you and charge your credit card in CAD, seeing as you booked your cruise in CAD. Made me nervous at first because the invoice I received didn't actually state how much OBC I was going to get -- just how much I paid in CAD for my OBC, but once I got on board, I did indeed get the 1.10 rate back when RCI was offering it.

:confused: Where in the Cruise Planner is it listed? We've always had to call gifts and gear or C&A to purchase OBC... maybe this is something new?
I clicked on "Onboard Reservations" and then " Onboard Credits" it came up with options to purchase $25, $50, or $100 in credits at my rate of 1.3 CDN.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

I haven't seen it in the cruise planner either.
I clicked on "Onboard Reservations" and then " Onboard Credits" it came up with options to purchase $25, $50, or $100 in credits at my rate of 1.3 CDN.

Thanks, I cannot find the tab "onboard reservations". What is that under?

I still can't find it in my Cruise Planner.. if it's there, I'm sure Ken will find it. ;) This sounds more like gift certificates rather than OBC.

OBC always had to be bought over the phone in my experiences. And I did it often a few years back when RCI was giving the 1.1 rate compared to what the true rate was. Was a great deal and allowed me to cruise much more often then I have since the rate went up.....

Wish they would offer some cruises at par for Canadians(like NCL often does) or give us a break on the OBC to make it more competitive to book and vacation with Royal.