Canadian cruisers!!

I too want to extend my sincere gratitude to those of you who have shared such valuable information on this thread.

I am trying to figure out if it is better to pre-pay gratuities or pay them on board. Can someone clarify if we pay $12.95 (US) per day or per night. So for a 7 night cruise are we charged $12.95 x 7(or 8)??

Per night, so it's x7.

Can I use the OBC I got when I booked my cruise to pay the gratuities? Wondering if I need to prepay in CAD or if that will work. It's a 4 night cruise so would use up about half of what I was given. I know it's non refundable. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Very sad now that the 1.40 from Royal is a deal.

:eek: Ken, I think you mentioned a few days ago that hopefully it wouldn't come to the point where $1.40 would be considered a deal but it certainly looks like that's what's happening. :(

I guess it is still a good idea to keep this thread alive. There may come a time in trying to woo Canadians that Royal may offer another deal. It might be a 1.20 or 1.30 for OBC but if anyone comes across a deal again it would be ideal to get the info out in a timely fashion. (And yes I noted 1.20 or 1.30 as a deal for USD)

Sadly, fellow Canadians, they are predicting even lower oil prices, which have a direct impact on our looney. This morning, it dropped again. Sure, we may all like what that's doing at the pumps for us, but it's killing Alberta, and, consequently, the $ .

Devaluing the $CAD means cruising costs get higher and higher. After all, your employer isn't increasing your salary to compensate for the dropping dollar, I'm sure.

At least with the OBC being at 10% - we could offset a bit of the cost of cruising... but not now. It was a nice train to ride, and lasted longer that most of us thought it would. Kudos to the thread OP, and to everyone who kept this one going for so long. Brilliant thread!

So now, we Canadians need to be OK with paying that extra 20-30% more than we did last year, or we start touring our own lovely country.. or not vacation (not an option! - lol)

Yes our dollar is terrible. Scotia banks selling price today is nearly $1.46. We just pre purchased 2 premium drink packages. The price was about $81 per day Canadian including gratuity. I figure we saved about $50 total for a 7 day cruise, compared to if we waited to get there and bought the packages in US dollars. Not a lot of savings but every bit counts.

Media has a reputable source (sorry, can't remember the organization, but it was reported online by CBC today) saying that the dollar may dip to .59 this coming year. Wondering if the RCL 1.40 rate is worth investing in for some future OBC for our next year's New Yrs cruise. Can't believe that 1.40 is looking good right now!!

Media has a reputable source (sorry, can't remember the organization, but it was reported online by CBC today) saying that the dollar may dip to .59 this coming year. Wondering if the RCL 1.40 rate is worth investing in for some future OBC for our next year's New Yrs cruise. Can't believe that 1.40 is looking good right now!!

1.4 is still a good rate-if you check with TD or RBC the conversion for them is currently 1.458 or so.Oops correction just checked RBC its 1.4704

so if looking for OBC can certainly do worse than 1.40

I just tried calling RCI to get 1.4 ( which is still better the 1.45 I paid RBC yesterday).

Because I booked my cruise in USD, I can't buy OBC in CAD .

Any body else have that problem ? any work around ?

Yes, that's always been one of the stipulations to purchase OBC in CAD. If you read back, you'll see a few people have complained about the same thing. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way around it. :(

I just tried calling RCI to get 1.4 ( which is still better the 1.45 I paid RBC yesterday).

Because I booked my cruise in USD, I can't buy OBC in CAD .

Any body else have that problem ? any work around ?

Check what the rate (that you paid) for your cruise in US$ is once converted to Canadian. Check the price in Canadian. If you are before final payment you can cancel and then rebook in Canadian if it is cheaper.

Unfortunately there is no work-around if you are booked in US$.

Edit..sorry I have signatures turned off. I just noticed that you are sailing in February and you are past final payment.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Can I use the OBC I got when I booked my cruise to pay the gratuities? Wondering if I need to prepay in CAD or if that will work. It's a 4 night cruise so would use up about half of what I was given. I know it's non refundable. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Your better off to prepay your gratuities in $CAD if you are booked in our currency and using your $US OBC for other onboard purchases. ;)

I'm on Anthem now and booked our next cruise, in $CAD, while onboard.

Gratuities for our 14 night cruise was $222.61CAD each. If we waited and paid onboard it would be $181.30USD each so the exchange works out to 1.228 by prepaying.

Even the exchange was at 1.267 for buying our cruise in $CAD compared to the $USD price. Another deal for us. :)

Edited by robtulipe

Your better off to prepay your gratuities in $CAD if you are booked in our currency and using your $US OBC for other onboard purchases. ;)

Gratuities for our 14 night cruise was $222.61CAD each. If we waited and paid onboard it would be $181.30USD each so the exchange works out to 1.228 by prepaying.

Even the exchange was at 1.267 for buying our cruise in $CAD compared to the $USD price. Another deal for us. :)

i'm new to rcl so very sorry if this is a 'dumb' question. i had thought i heard if you book while onboard that you could not book in canadian. is that wrong? if you are able to book in canadian do you still get benefits by booking onboard? another game changer for us…..

tia

You can book in Canadian on the ship. They will also link your new on the ship booking to the TA that booked the sailing you on at that exact moment. If you do not want that TA to get your new booking you must tell them not to transfer it to them.

I hope I explained that clearly enough.

You can book in Canadian on the ship. They will also link your new on the ship booking to the TA that booked the sailing you on at that exact moment. If you do not want that TA to get your new booking you must tell them not to transfer it to them.

I hope I explained that clearly enough.

BEST…NEWS…EVER! thanks, i did not know this and thought i could only book from home if i was using canadian. i thought we could not get discounts. :D

Thanks. I wasn't sure what we'd use the OBC for to be honest. I don't drink (my son is 6 lol so he doesn't either), we only have two ports and in Nassau we are not doing a ship excursion, in Coco Cay I understand you can pretty much just sit on the beach and not have to pay for anything. I do want to check though how much the CAD gratuities would cost me. And I hope to book another while onboard, though I'm a little worried with the cost of the dollar right now and predicted. But we did one cruise and are kind of hooked lol. We have to do more! :) My son doesn't even like pop, though I do! We did manage with just the included stuff on our last cruise though. I'm rambling, sorry. Lots to consider.

Thanks for the reminder. :)

I had checked on ours almost a year ago and at the time it made sense to use OBC to pay our gratuities but most likely that has changed. The rate for gratuities is locked in at the time you book and we booked almost 2 years ago.

Edited by Ourusualbeach