Whatis the temperature like on Spring & Fall Transatlantics

C Cruise Dude

I am considering a Transatlantic (Allure) and wonder if a balcony is worth it? Thanks

It's a bit difficult to call. In Autumn it's nice from around the Azores which takes about 3/4 days to get to. One problem is the amount of storms in the Atlantic. In November we had great weather on the Indy but the oasis sailed two weeks before and had horrible storms the whole way

Sent from my D6503 using Forums mobile app

We've been on 5 TA's, all in the fall. For the most part, we've had pretty good weather and have used our balcony quite a bit, so yes, I think it is worth it. Also, TAs are longer cruises, having a balcony gives you more light and space which is nice on a longer cruise. My husband knows I have to have a balcony for a TA! :D

Sherri:)

We did a TA in April a couple of years ago and spent a considerable amount of time out on our balcony. We only had a couple of days out of 14 when rained or was too cool to use it. With 7 straight days at sea we were very happy we booked the balcony.

It probably depends where your cruise starts from, but in Oct 2011 we did a 15 day TA from Barcelona and had beautiful weather.

This is a valid point, my response was based on your cruise leaving from Southampton.

Sent from my D6503 using Forums mobile app

The Allure autumn TA will leave from Barcelona. We did the Liberty TA from Barcelona last year in October and the weather was fantastic and seas were calm all the way over. I'd say go for a balcony :)

We have done both ways, I prefer the spring crossings on ships with aft areas great sunsets.

The autumn crossings can get a bit rough and if you go north then cold.

Start end in the med gets you closer to the warm, Southampton thats 2-3 days of higher risk on not so nice.

you also have the time changes, 23hr days one way 25hr days the other.

We probably would pick the Spring,as the best, but it depends on which month in the Spring or Fall, sorry cannot remember months, even the weather man can predict what weather you will get. ON the Oasis last fall the weather was terrible, rain, and cold. Now since you ask and this post will soon go into cyber oblivion. If you get a balcony, if it is East to West, make sure it is on the port side and vice versa.

We prefer Balcony cabins, but on TAs depending on the time of year, a nice Ocean view if you can get a nice one is a great option.

We have been on 2 TAs. One from Harwich to Boston and one from Barcelona. We booked outside cabins at first and waited for a balcony guarantee to open. We did that both times. The first time we got the most forward balcony [for a very good price] and the second time we were mid ship on the hump [one of the best locations on the ship]. We were happy with both of these. We do not always sail in Balconies--but, were glad we had one for these long cruises.

There is a big difference between TAs from the UK and from the Med. The former will be cooler [and cold in Faroe islands and Iceland--if you stop there] or mostly warm from the Med.

We took a TA from Barcelona that left on October 30 and by the time we got to Madeira it was pool deck weather. We loved our balcony.

Our cruise from Harwich left Aug 31. We did not use our bathing suits on the pool deck until the day before we landed in Boston. We still used our balcony almost every day.

I like western TAs. You have to make up 5-6 hrs of time. So, you have 5 or 6 25-hour days.

If you look at Queen Mary 2 the balconies are either "sheltered" or more of a deluxe open type. The open type being a bit more exposed the the weather, whatever that might be on you cruise. On most other lines the balconies are more like the aforementioned open type. If you also consider passenger space ratio figure most ships are a lot more crowded than the QM2 on sea days. This is where balconies win Transatlantic - You have your own private deck space - when the ship is crowded due to nobody ashore on excursions. I should therefore look for a slightly sheltered balcony, if there seem to be such a thing and book that if the cost is reasonable.

Regards John

One other thing with Southampton trips is the flights from the UK/London are more expensive than the flights into the UK.

For RCCL cruises Choice air is often quite good and there are a few places that do good rates on one ways.

One trick some use is get a return and do two TA cruises.

A few years ago we did an eastbound transatlantic departing Fort Lauderdale April 7th. We had great weather and were able to use our balcony for probably 12 of the 14 days we were on the ship.

After we left the Azores, it was windy and rough for two days until we got to Malaga but after that, it was beautiful again. Many of the ship's activities (dancing lessons, etc.) were cancelled because it was just too dangerous. Like I said, that was only for about two days.

I should mention we spent a month touring the British Isles and the south of England was quite warm but as we went further north, we did not have enough warm clothing with us.. It was very damp, cold and windy.

We're doing another transatlantic in early May this year and sure hope we get the same kind of weather (or better).

Edited by hancogran

A few years ago we did an eastbound transatlantic departing Fort Lauderdale April 7th. We had great weather and were able to use our balcony for probably 12 of the 14 days we were on the ship.

After we left the Azores, it was windy and rough for two days until we got to Malaga but after that, it was beautiful again. Many of the ship's activities (dancing lessons, etc.) were cancelled because it was just too dangerous. Like I said, that was only for about two days.

We're doing another transatlantic in early May this year and sure hope we get the same kind of weather (or better).

We did a Trans-Atlantic this past November from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale and it was beautiful. There was only 1 day we were unable to use our balcony because of rain. Many days the sea was like looking out over a plate of glass and it was beautifully warm. Loved it!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

The Atlantic is a lot warmer in November (when the hurricane season is essentially over) than in May, and way warmer than in April. That said, northern routes, say Harwich or Southampton to Boston or New York will of course be cooler than routes from the Med to Florida ports; on these, in November, you are in 70 degrees as soon as you pass Gibraltar, warming to 80 as you approach the U.S.

On westbounds, a port side balcony will be sunny while a starboard side balcony will be shaded every day.

I am thinking of booking a TA in November 2016, starting in Rome, last port before we cross being Tenerife, and ending in FLL. If I do this, is everyone recommending a port side cabin? I love the sun and get cold easily, so I want to be where it will be as warm as possible.

I am thinking of booking a TA in November 2016, starting in Rome, last port before we cross being Tenerife, and ending in FLL. If I do this, is everyone recommending a port side cabin? I love the sun and get cold easily, so I want to be where it will be as warm as possible.

From Tenefife on you will be in high 70's water temps, and far enough south to be pretty warm. A port side balcony will be sunny and warm whenever it isn't cloudy - but that far south is likely to be very pleasant anywhere on the ship. If you are thinking just ocean view, the side won't matter. We've done three November T/A's from Rome to Florida in 2010, 2012, and 2014 and have always had warm (occasionally with a bit of rain) weather.

Get a balcony, you can enjoy it in almost any weather. More important to us is sailing from East to West in the Fall. We tried one Springtime TA heading East. You lose an hour each day for the first six days. By then you're having dinner at 1:00pm body time. Reverse that and head West toward the U.S. and you increase "Happy Hour" by one hour daily.