How many Euros do you bring...

Nana57

I'm planning my 14 day cruise and want to know how much Euros I should bring for my trip. I would like to buy them before I leave. When I go to the Caribbean I always make sure to have at least $100 a day. I do not use an ATM card, so that's out. Also, which credit cards have no Foreign Transaction fees and no annual fees?

Meaning no disrespect, the amount of foreign currency you should bring if you don't intend to use an ATM card is dependent on the expenses you expect to have. For example, if you are taking tours, you'll want cash to tip your guides and drivers. And some private tour operators want to be paid in cash. You'll probably be buying some meals and snacks where you'll be paying cash. That sort of thing. You haven't even mentioned how many port calls you have or what you'll be doing in port. Until you sit down and determine what you'll need cash for, you're asking an unrealistic question.

As for credit cards without specific types of fees, if you do some internet research you'll be able to find what you are looking for.

Oh boy, this is a very hard one to answer.

First off, it depends on how you travel.

DIY, ships tour, or private tours ? Do you like to shop ? Eat at small quick places or a leisurely more gourmet place? Public transportation or private rides (taxis etc)

The Caribbean is a VERY different trip than Europe. Europe is expensive. There is a saying here…… take 1/2 the clothes and twice as much money as you think you will need ! Depending on how you do the ports you could need a lot more than $100. a day !

Figure out what you will be doing in each port and what that will cost. Also will you be spending time pre or post cruise ? Meals, transport to ship, airport etc. costs…….

Also - there are a gazillon posts about which cards are best…… keep reading and you will find your answer for the one that will fit you best…...

Both BOA Travelers Rewards Card & Capital One cards have no foreign transaction fees and no annual fee.

As others have said, how much you need will depend on what you want to do (tours, food, hotels, shopping, transportation). If you use your credit card for major purchases, I would think that $100 per person would be enough, but - that is just my very rough guess. If you plan of paying cash for more than one meal per day, the $100 will probably not be enough. Also some taxis do not accept credit cards - always check before entering the taxi.

Europe is expensive.

And - as has been mentioned - some tour providers require their payment in cash - that would definitely be a big factor in how much per day you need.

Edited by dogs4fun

Other no exchange fee cards include American Express(no annual fee) and Chase Mileage Plus Explorer (annual fee but perks worth it).. As to cash, it also will depend upon if you are using ships tours, those can be charged to your onboard account. Private tours may require cash & some take credit cards.

Also buying foreign currency in the US (or in another country other than the one for which you want the currency) can cost a premium of 7 to 9%.

Edited by dabear

There is no way to answer the OPs question. It would be like asking, if you take a week trip to Florida how many dollars do you need? Some folks would need very little and some would need thousands. It is the same in Europe, whether on a cruise or doing a land trip.

As to credit card fees, it varies by card so you need to check. For example, AMEX charges a 2.7% foreign exchange fee (on every transaction) on all their cards except for the Platinum (which has zero fees but costs $450 a year). Capitalone Master Card still has no fees (an no annual fee). But most cards charge foreign exchange fees ranging from 2.5% - 3.5%. As to ATM cards, we have 3 and two of them have no fees (other then the standard 1% foreign transaction fee built into the exchange rate) while the other charges several dollars per transaction (we do not use this card).

You might want to consider that if you buy Euros at home you will generally pay fees and get a less then favorable exchange rate. Then, if you have Euros left over you will lose more money when you change them back to your own currency. DW and I have taken more then 50 trips to Europe (both cruise and land) and have never bought any Euros in the USA. We rely totally on ATM cards in Europe and always have the backup capability of obtaining cash advances (at a bank) from several of our credit cards. This latter technique is an "emergency backup only" since cash advances are a very expensive way to obtain cash.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We left home with only 100 EUR purchased at AAA. Didn't care about the rate of exchange or fees (I figure the banks have you on that one, you're going to pay one way or the other).

I did take $2000 in US cash figuring to exchange along the way for a 21 day trip. I also had a Capitol One credit card specifically for this Med cruise, as they don't charge the fee for exchange.

It wasn't difficult to find an American Express or Bank that was willing to exchange the cash for us.

A lot of folks say an ATM card is the way to get the best rate, but I don't travel with my debit card that is tied to my checking account.

Someone posted a while ago, to open a "Travel Account" and get a debit card, that way your main bank account wouldn't/couldn't be compromised.

It's really an individual preference as to how you travel or how much you spend. But whatever you decide, it could easily cost you double what you plan. Have a great trip!

It wasn't difficult to find an American Express or Bank that was willing to exchange the cash for us.

!

Ok, so now I will ask. Where do you find America Express offices these days? I believe they have closed nearly all their offices around the world. They do still use some local corresponding travel agencies, who are usually closed by 5 and on weekends. And they give awful exchange rates plus often charge an additional fee over and above the lousy exchange rate. And we now see many banks having signs (often hand lettered) that say something like "we do not change currency."

There are certainly plenty of money changing kiosks in most tourist places, but they do tend to give awful exchange rates. And as an example, we live in Puerto Vallarta in the winter (there now) where we can get Pesos out of any ATM. The ATMs rate is about 14.6 Pesos to the dollar. Many of the local Kiosks only give about 13.0 - 13.5 to the dollar. And most local banks will not change money except for their regular customers (if at all).

When we were in Bergen, Norway (about 18 months ago) we recall there was only a single place (the Tourist Office) that was changing money. We went there to change some Kroner back to Euros, had to get a "number" from a machine and waited nearly 30 minutes for our number to be called just to change a little money. Of course if we wanted to get more Kroner we could simply use any ATM (they are all over the place). Times are changing.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Exchanging cash currency in country is absolutely the most expensive way to go - carrying US $ (or Canadian, etc.) and changing them on the spot is going to cost you.

Also know that while things are changing, Italians are not as credit crazy as Americans. They don't use credit cards for everyday small purchases the way Americans do, so you will find many places where you won't be able to use them. You can not, for example, walk into a coffee shop and pay for a cup with a credit card the way you would at Starbucks.

I am going to put it out there for you..if you feel comfortable carrying a lot of cash fine,but if not get a good credit card to charge large items and an ATM card tied into your saving or checking account...learn to use one..the bank will help you and go the ATM route. You will save a lot of money this way and learn how easy it is to do. The Caribe is not Europe just remember that...for many reasons as well.

Okay I will jump in on this .. we are on a transatlantic and then staying on the ship for a week ....we have 12 ports including Barcelona which is our departure port. We will be getting $1000 Euros from the currency exchange here ( Canada ) We will use our credit card for larger purchases but we wanted some cash before we go. We can use our debit card to get more if we need it ....the difference in exchange on this amount is not enough for us to worry about looking for an ATM in a hurry .We will know when we get close to using it up if we need to get more. We have also pre paid our transfers to the airport and 2 tours.

While I am an American Express fan, I will add that exchanging cash at an American Express office is the WORST place as far as exchange rate !!!

There are banks that don't charge and arm and a leg (either in exchange rate or fees) but you have to look for them. My bank is a local bank (only in Texas) and does charge a bit more than the going rate on XE.com - but remember their rate is quoted for those buying/selling large quantities. I pay a small delivery fee (usually @ $25.00).

Now, I do have to carry them from here to there, but if you are careful unless you are physically attacked and robbed you can get them there okay…… most pickpockets are looking for easy targets. Once on the ship they go in the safe.

We also carry cards and use them whenever we can, but our private transfers, tours etc want euros ….. and I love not having to hunt down ATM's (we did this one trip and it sold me on buying euros ahead)

Hank - you have the luxury of being in the country for extended periods….not just on a quick port stop. There is a big difference.

When I get off the ship for a port day I want to go directly to the "fun" and not have to get $$$$. Just my preference.

Okay I will jump in on this .. we are on a transatlantic and then staying on the ship for a week ....we have 12 ports including Barcelona which is our departure port. We will be getting $1000 Euros from the currency exchange here ( Canada ) We will use our credit card for larger purchases but we wanted some cash before we go. We can use our debit card to get more if we need it ....the difference in exchange on this amount is not enough for us to worry about looking for an ATM in a hurry .We will know when we get close to using it up if we need to get more. We have also pre paid our transfers to the airport and 2 tours.

Just to counterpoint, we spent 15 days on a land tour in Italy last June, and didn't spent 500 euros in cash. Hotels and almost all train travel was credit card. Private tour was credit card. Only food at cafes and small purchases were cash, plus a couple of short taxi rides and a few small tips. 1000 euros is a lot of cash.

Went with about 100 euros left from a previous trip, hit ATM for 250 euros twice, and came home with about 150 euros cash.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We left home with only 100 EUR purchased at AAA. Didn't care about the rate of exchange or fees (I figure the banks have you on that one, you're going to pay one way or the other).

I did take $2000 in US cash figuring to exchange along the way for a 21 day trip. I also had a Capitol One credit card specifically for this Med cruise, as they don't charge the fee for exchange.

A lot of folks say an ATM card is the way to get the best rate, but I don't travel with my debit card that is tied to my checking account.

Someone posted a while ago, to open a "Travel Account" and get a debit card, that way your main bank account wouldn't/couldn't be compromised.

It's really an individual preference as to how you travel or how much you spend. But whatever you decide, it could easily cost you double what you plan. Have a great trip!

Something to keep in mind these days if you want to exchange $$ for €€ in a bank outside the USA is that they will want to see your passport. So if you're a person who likes to leave your passport in the hotel safe or the ship cabin safe, you will need to carry it with you that day. And banks may well have limits on how much they will change in one transaction, because of ever-increasing laws to prevent money laundering.

As posted before - it all depends on HOW you travel.

Our 3rd trip to Europe - we had to pay for our apartment and apartment deposit in cash euros at check in. We stayed 3 nights.

The upcoming trip we will again stay in an apartment and have prepaid online.

Some hotels offer much better rates in cash…… some don't.

Some small hole-in-the-wall eateries don't take cc

For small trinket/souveniers it doesn't pay to use cc - some vendors charge extra for the cc charge they have to pay. To bargain - have cash.

To the OP: figure out what you will be doing and how you will travel and then decide.

Ok, so now I will ask. Where do you find America Express offices these days? I believe they have closed nearly all their offices around the world. They do still use some local corresponding travel agencies, who are usually closed by 5 and on weekends. And they give awful exchange rates plus often charge an additional fee over and above the lousy exchange rate. And we now see many banks having signs (often hand lettered) that say something like "we do not change currency."

There are certainly plenty of money changing kiosks in most tourist places, but they do tend to give awful exchange rates. And as an example, we live in Puerto Vallarta in the winter (there now) where we can get Pesos out of any ATM. The ATMs rate is about 14.6 Pesos to the dollar. Many of the local Kiosks only give about 13.0 - 13.5 to the dollar. And most local banks will not change money except for their regular customers (if at all).

When we were in Bergen, Norway (about 18 months ago) we recall there was only a single place (the Tourist Office) that was changing money. We went there to change some Kroner back to Euros, had to get a "number" from a machine and waited nearly 30 minutes for our number to be called just to change a little money. Of course if we wanted to get more Kroner we could simply use any ATM (they are all over the place). Times are changing.

Hank

Well Hank, times may be changing, but I'm still old fashioned. I have even stopped using my Debit card here at home. I either go to the bank and get cash (since the Target fiasco) or use my Bank Credit Card (with a little more protection than the Debit card). In the last 6 months, I have had my various cards compromised and had to replace the cards at least 8 times. Now I may be shopping in the wrong places, but to me that is sending a dangerous signal that we are easy victims.

Chase, Discover, Target, Big Lots, Burlington, have all been hacked or compromised. That tells me that the electronic generation isn't what it's cracked up to be and nobody is safe if you are using the Internet or Debit/Credit Cards. The big difference to me is Debit card puts my money at risk, whereas Credit Cards can be disputed without loss of money.

I did an 11 day road trip in 2013 to a lot of National Parks here in the U.S. and guess what, I took $1500 US $. 3 old ladies traveled 4000 miles and not one of us used a credit or debit card.

I didn't realize that AMEX was closing offices. We found one at the Spanish Steps and a Thomas Cook Exchange at Barberini Piazza in Rome. And there are a few AMEX offices in Athens. And you are correct, a Passport is needed to exchange money in the banks, but I always carry my Passport so that wasn't an issue.

We all have to make the decision of what works best for us. As I've stated before, I've done just about every type of travel money (traveler's checks, Australian traveler's checks, currency of destination country, Euro's, US $) and I don't even concern myself with the exchange rate or fees as the Banks are going to get their fees one way or another and to me it was just included in the cost of traveling. That's just what has worked best for me. It is a moot point for me, as I won't be traveling to foreign destinations anymore, but I do still enjoy reading this board and adding my comments to inform others.

Happy Travels to all.

When traveling to Europe, I generally carry a small amount of euro with me -- enough to get me through the first day or two. That's mainly a convenience and because I have the euro left over from a previous trip, not due to fears of being able to find an ATM or get money.

After that, I rely on ATMs to get money as needed. I don't have high expenses as a rule -- I don't shop much, don't take many tours requiring payment, and use my credit card for hotels, etc.

I've never had trouble finding an ATM; they are as prevalent (if not more so) than in touristy areas in the US. I can't recall ever wasting even 5 minutes of time looking for one.

As for fraud, I travel quite a lot (generally 3 trips overseas annually, more if I have to travel for work. I have never been hit with any type of electronic fraud using my card in many locales in Europe and even some in Asia and Africa.

The only "money" problem I ever had was the low-tech kind. A pickpocket lifted my wallet in Barcelona. Within an hour (while I was cancelling the credit and debit card) both cards had been used. I had no problem getting the funds put back immediately in my account and no liability.

Fortunately, I had left another credit card, extra cash, and my passport in my hotel safe.

We hear ya Agabbymama and you have some valid points. In fact, I was woken up this morning by a phone call from AMEX telling me that my AMEX card was compromised in the last 24 hours (I have not even used the card in over a month). And in the past year I have had 1 other credit and a Debit card compromised and replaced. It is a mad mad world out there. In Mexico, where we live part of the year there is a Federal law that restricts the amount of Pesos that can be exchanged by banks...and requires strict procedures (this is done to inhibit money laundering by druggies).

In Europe there are other issues which make frequent travelers lives a bit complicated. Certainly those on a cruise who are not spending extended time (and money) in Europe can bring cash. But those who need lots of cash (such as moi) face a dilemma. I am not going to carry thousands of Euros (or dollars) in my pocket. And credit cards do not work when we rent apartments (most want cash). So we are often faced with needing thousands of Euros. At one time Travelers Checks were a decent option, but they are now obsolete and not even accepted in many places (except major hotels). So what to do?

DW and I now carry 3 different ATM cards (each drawn on a different bank) and 5 major credit cards. Frequent travelers are learning that one must have several modes of backup! It is a royal pain. One recent development is the expanded use of Paypal and some other device payment mechanisms. We actually had our Paris apartment realtor accept a final payment with Paypal which I was able to do with my iPad as she waited. The transaction went through in a few seconds and saved us needed over 1500 Euros in cash. But other apartment owners and realtors still insist on cash :(.

As I mentioned earlier, more and more European (and Asian) banks are refusing to exchange money and the change kisoks are often rip-offs charging 7-10% (when accounting for fees and lousy exchange rates). And European banks have awful hours, are usually closed on weekends, and even on some afternoons.

ATMs are the only way that one can access cash 24/7, they are pretty much everywhere, and are the normal way for Europeans (and visitors) to obtain cash. And one cannot even depend on US credit cards anymore....as we have had them refused by some restaurants and merchants (this is a bigger problem in Northern Europe). There is an increasing trend to only accept Chip/PIN cards (using the EMV standard) and these are rare in the USA (we have one of those cards).

Hank

One more thing to add for couples. If you have an ATM card linked to a joint account, neither person will be able to access the account it if you need to cancel it because of theft, loss, etc. It is best to have three ATM cards: one for a joint account, one for an account only in wife's name, and one for an account only in husband's name. Then, you will still have access to other accounts if any of the others are compromised. Make sure the different accounts are not "linked" to each other or to the same savings account. Or, better yet, have the accounts in different banks or credit unions. (We do that too.)

The same thing applies to credit cards. You should each have one in your name only in addition to any joint cards.

And it is always a good idea to leave one of the "single" cards in the room safe if possible. Don't carry all of them with you.

The same thing applies to credit cards. You should each have one in your name only in addition to any joint cards.

Well, that's not exactly true. You should just NOT both be carrying around the same joint card. You are correct that it's a good idea for a couple to have more than one credit card; the key is that if they are joint cards, you both should not be carrying them.

One more thing to add for couples. If you have an ATM card linked to a joint account, neither person will be able to access the account it if you need to cancel it because of theft, loss, etc. It is best to have three ATM cards: one for a joint account, one for an account only in wife's name, and one for an account only in husband's name. Then, you will still have access to other accounts if any of the others are compromised. Make sure the different accounts are not "linked" to each other or to the same savings account. Or, better yet, have the accounts in different banks or credit unions. (We do that too.)

I think it's best for individuals to contact their own bank for recommendations on what should be done when it comes to travelling. Not all banks operate the same. For example, at most banks here in Canada it's not possible to get a separate bank card for each account; however, if one need to cancel their card, the other account holder can still access the accounts fine with their card.

To the OP - the amount of Euros you'll need will depend on where you're going and what your plans are. Perhaps start by researching what you'll be spending in each port and go from there. Prices for things like private tours, entrance fees, public transportation costs, etc. can all be found online.

I prefer to buy my Euros at home because I'm able to get a preferred rate from my bank; however, we each take along our debit card and two credit cards (all with chip technology).

And it is always a good idea to leave one of the "single" cards in the room safe if possible. Don't carry all of them with you.

This is a bit of overkill. I agree with Turtles06 about each carrying a different credit card, so if one is stolen, the other's credit card is still good.

3 or 4 ATM cards with different accounts? Way overkill.

This is a bit of overkill. I agree with Turtles06 about each carrying a different credit card, so if one is stolen, the other's credit card is still good.

3 or 4 ATM cards with different accounts? Way overkill.

Truly, it depends on how much and where you travel.

Also, many couples may have both joint and separate accounts for a number of reasons, so it is not a big deal to get them.

It is only overkill if you don't need them.

Someone posted here on CC to open a "Travel Account" and get a debit card that is only tied to that account. Put money in that account just before your trip and use that card at the ATMs in Europe.

If I were going to Europe again, I think I might try that route. That way access is limited to amount of money in that account, and not to you main checking or savings account.

OP, have a great trip whatever you decide to do. Europe is an awesome destination (after 7 trips, I've barely touched the tip of the iceberg).