bringing on a bottle of "wine"

msweezie

I saw them confiscate two bottles of wine from the couple in front of us on our last cruise. Counldn't quite catch what they were saying to them but something about the labels not matching the caps??? So they were looking certainly checking closely on that trip. That was on the Dream last May.

What is it about all the "how the rules don't apply to me" posts on Carnival? For heavens sake, just order a bottle on board for twenty bucks. I personally think they should deny boarding for those who are caught doing this. Just sad.

The booze from the fun Shop is a lot more than $20.00- around $80.00.

Has anyone ever brought on their allowable bottle of wine. Just wondering how closely the seal is inspected. Has anyone replaced the wine with alcohol and gotten away with it? Or caught? I have those sleeve and cap things that you stick under boiling water and it looks professionaly sealed. Just not sure about the screw part that separated. How closely do they look at the wine bottle? Can anyone tell me?

Hi OP,

My experience has been that our wine sailed through every time without even being looked at. We both have a backpack-style cooler that contains our 12 sodas, removed from the box, with the one bottle of wine. I wrap the bottle in bubble wrap but leave the neck visible. We unzip them and say, "This contains our soda and wine," then put them on the belt.

A few suggestions; [edited to add-if you do reseal your wine] don't be that person who isn't prepared or has TOO MUCH stuff. We have everything out and ready; we use a porter for ALL of our luggage, and our carry-ons consist of the cooler bags and a small backpack with our cruise documents. Fumbling around and causing a delay will get you attention you don't want anyway. We pack anything else we bring in our luggage and have never had an issue. As long as it is plastic, not glass, you should be ok.

What is it about all the "how the rules don't apply to me" posts on Carnival? For heavens sake, just order a bottle on board for twenty bucks. I personally think they should deny boarding for those who are caught doing this. Just sad.

Absolutely! And this is why one day soon we won't be allowed to take wine onboard either. Always someone who has to ruin it for others because the rules don't apply to them.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

We tried this on the Vista. They lady at the table after the X-ray pulled both bottles out and the. Peeled the seal off and shook her head no. She didn’t even inspect the second bottle just kept it. Didn’t inspect out sodas either. 

No no we have soda and nothing to add to it. 

5 hours ago, jjfreel said:

We tried this on the Vista. They lady at the table after the X-ray pulled both bottles out and the. Peeled the seal off and shook her head no. She didn’t even inspect the second bottle just kept it. Didn’t inspect out sodas either. 

No no we have soda and nothing to add to it. 

So what you're saying is now you have to buy liquor like the rest of us?

• Like 1

We will be bringing on our allowance, havent the nerve to smuggle any more on , though sounds like fun lol , especially  as they dont seem to make a fuss if they  catch you out 😁

Can I person  carry  on 2 peoples allowance or would you need two bags , and how long would you need to lug this around before your rooms are ready 

8 hours ago, daisymay1960 said:

We will be bringing on our allowance, havent the nerve to smuggle any more on , though sounds like fun lol , especially  as they dont seem to make a fuss if they  catch you out 😁

Can I person  carry  on 2 peoples allowance or would you need two bags , and how long would you need to lug this around before your rooms are ready 

No, both adults needs to be present and you need to haul everything around until 1:30 pm unless you have FTTF/Platinum/diamond status.  

Since this thread was started and resurrected, they have changed how they manage carry on liquids.

The carry on scanner caught the mini bottles being carried on by the women in front of me at Port Canaveral.  Both women had to empty their backpacks completely.  

Edited by Elaine5715
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

No, both adults needs to be present and you need to haul everything around until 1:30 pm unless you have FTTF/Platinum/diamond status.  

Since this thread was started and resurrected, they have changed how they manage carry on liquids.

The carry on scanner caught the mini bottles being carried on by the women in front of me at Port Canaveral.  Both women had to empty their backpacks completely.  

One person can carry both bottles if you are close together in line. No need for two bags.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Please don't do this.

We can no longer carry on bottled water or soda because of this very same thing,

Don't people realize that the cruise lines read these boards? Please don't post this crap. I don't want to loose my bottled wine priviledge because some people don't want to follow rules.

Edited by trummy
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2015 at 4:35 PM, Rena921 said:

Just. Buy some rumrunners. A lot easier and less stressful.

Big rumrunners get caught  in carryons. Sometimes make it in checked baggage. Small ones can fit in cargo pockets with no issues through security as long as no metal (keys, coins, etc) in pants/shorts pockets .

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 6:08 PM, trummy said:

Please don't do this.

We can no longer carry on bottled water or soda because of this very same thing,

Don't people realize that the cruise lines read these boards? Please don't post this crap. I don't want to loose my bottled wine priviledge because some people don't want to follow rules.

Indeed.  If I was Cruise Ship Security, I would find this thread of particular interest.... just sayin'.

Edited to add: I work in bar consultation, loss prevention specifically. There are a million ways to tamper with "sealed" bottles, and I've seen every one of them. Except the alcohol is exiting the bottle in the cases I see.

Edited by Cruise Cynic

On 2/7/2015 at 7:02 AM, cruising maniac said:

I have a beer making supply store very close to my home. They also stock wine making and bottling supplies. I bought corks for 10 cents, shrinkwraps for 7 cents, and a bottle corker for $8. The room steward was most helpful in allowing us to borrow his cork screw. My wine of choice is a lovely reisling in a beautiful blue bottle. Good to go. On out last cruise, the Celebrity Reflection, we carried on one real bottle of wine. It was confiscated and held because it was larger than 750ml. I figured it was the size of 2 legal bottles so it would be fine. Wrong. It was, however, just as good when we got home. 😄

On 2/6/2015 at 3:26 PM, msweezie said:

Has anyone ever brought on their allowable bottle of wine. Just wondering how closely the seal is inspected. Has anyone replaced the wine with alcohol and gotten away with it? Or caught? I have those sleeve and cap things that you stick under boiling water and it looks professionaly sealed. Just not sure about the screw part that separated. How closely do they look at the wine bottle? Can anyone tell me?

I think how closely they look varies from port to port, and by which inspectors you get.