Cost of drinks on Ocenoa

Playtennis

1 liter of gin, 1 liter of rum, and 2 bottles of wine we found in Sydney that we really liked. That's for a 16 day cruise.

That's pretty "lame" by some others' standards - I wouldn't have expected for you to have had any troubles with that amount :D

Enjoy your cruise (and your libations)

Im checking that email out..back with an answer tomorrow..

Jancruz1

I suspect I may already know the answer. Oceania won't countenance drunks. So, Oceania has an "official" rule that controls alcohol. That rule is necessary in the (rare) event they may have to use it. It would be nearly impossible to cause an obnoxious drunk to be ejected from the ship without it -- they would just say, "there's no rule against it."

So, there IS a rule. And, since there is a rule, official Oceania representatives must recite it. If Oceania ever posted a written or verbal answer that you may bring alcohol on board, they would never be able to use the official rule in the event it's needed. They may know the rule is typically not enforced, but they can never admit it.

But, we as guests are under no such restriction. We can relate our personal experience, which many of have done, and are doing. As long as you act responsibly, Oceania turns a blind eye to bringing alcohol on board. Act like a responsible adult, and Oceania treats you like a responsible adult.

But, act like an obnoxious jerk, drinking too much of your own booze (Oceania can -- and will -- shut you off at their bars), and watch how quickly that rule is carried out.

All of us should be thankful that rule is there. to protect us from obnoxious drunks, and be doubly thankful we are able to act like it isn't there.

So, until you here a reliable report that someone tried to bring liquor or beer aboard, or more than 3 bottle of wine, and had it confiscated, just be glad you're smart enough to read Cruise Critic and don't worry about the other guy.

Our friend, who is new to Oceania, sent me the email about the 3 bottles of wine, after I suggested that we bring some nice Malbecs on the ship to enjoy at dinner. We would of course pay the corkage fee.

I had indicated that one nice thing about Oceania is that we are treated like grownups about liquor. They are Princess folks.

The Cruise Vacation Guide we just got says "All liquor purchased ashore must remain in bond until disembarkation." Currents apparently says drink in your cabin or pay the corkage fee.

We're all well beyond the age and need to sneak liquor. We just want to know what we can and cannot do and know that the same rules apply to everybody.

Frankly, I'm embarrassed!

I know that I'm new to Oceania, but we have cruised a lot on other lines. I just don't see what the correlation is between being a "responsible adult" to having a bearing on bringing alcohol on board. The rules are there (most lines have them), whether or not they choose to enforce them, because they make a lot of money on alcohol sales, which they would lose if everyone brought their own liquor on board. Passengers can get just as "drunk" on ships' liquor as they can on their own, and I don't see it as having anything to do with whether or not one is "responsible" enough to handle bringing their own. I'm sure that there are times, even on O, when passengers have one too many, but I don't see how that it can be attributed to the source of the liquor. Clearly O offers perks in the form of liquor -- six full size bottles of premium liquor to certain suite guests -- and they offer all-inclusive beverage packages, yet they would have no way of knowing if one got drunk from the liquor they provided as a perk/package or liquor a guest brought on. I see it as begin revenue/profit driven and nothing else.

That being said, for those that do want to bring their own on board, it's great that they typically do not enforce their written policy. For us, we do the beverage package. I'm sure we'll be buying wine in Argentina, too, but probably not so much for consumption on board. I don't at all mind the corkage fee, but since we'll have the package, I'll probably save the wine I buy to bring home and enjoy as a memory of a great trip!

I think they could word the policy in a way that you can bring alcohol for your cabin use BUT they reserve the right to confiscate it if you abuse the generous rule

The lawyers can surely come up with the correct wording

For some people who go by the brochure it would be most annoying when they find their neighbour has their stash of scotch for drinking in their cabin & they could have brought their favourite libation

It is off putting for new cruisers to O

JMO

I just don't see what the correlation is between being a "responsible adult" to having a bearing on bringing alcohol on board. The rules are there (most lines have them), whether or not they choose to enforce them, because they make a lot of money on alcohol sales, which they would lose if everyone brought their own liquor on board. Passengers can get just as "drunk" on ships' liquor as they can on their own, and I don't see it as having anything to do with whether or not one is "responsible" enough to handle bringing their own. I'm sure that there are times, even on O, when passengers have one too many, but I don't see how that it can be attributed to the source of the liquor.

Actually, I think that you are wrong about this. As Don points out, if you are not allowed to bring alcohol onto the ship then only THEY control how much you can drink. They can stop serving you when you've had enough - so to speak.

If you are allowed to bring your own then, technically speaking, there is no limit how much you can imbibe in your cabin and then "prowl the ship".

That is where being a "responsible adult" comes in.

I hope you see the difference.

Actually, I think that you are wrong about this. As Don points out, if you are not allowed to bring alcohol onto the ship then only THEY control how much you can drink. They can stop serving you when you've had enough - so to speak.

If you are allowed to bring your own then, technically speaking, there is no limit how much you can imbibe in your cabin and then "prowl the ship".

Exceptionally well said, Paul! :D

I see where you're trying to go, but I respectfully disagree. Whether or not one brings on the bottle, buys bottles/wine for cabin service or has bottles as part of one's suite perks, there is still, as you say, no limit to what one can drink in the privacy of one's own cabin. Being "responsible," however, has nothing to do with where or how one obtains one's beverages; it's knowing when you've reached your limit and taking appropriate steps thereafter. We all know that whether or not there is a written policy in place, cruisers on all lines will try to bring their own alcohol on board - some with more success than others - and I believe that the intent for most is so they do not have to spend as much on drinks as they would if they had to purchase them individually (regardless of whether any of us think that the prices are high on board, it's clearly a cost savings to have a bottle in your cabin than to purchase drinks on board) as well as the convenience of having it right there.

and I believe that the intent for most is so they do not have to spend as much on drinks as they would if they had to purchase them individually (regardless of whether any of us think that the prices are high on board, it's clearly a cost savings to have a bottle in your cabin than to purchase drinks on board) as well as the convenience of having it right there.

I agree with you about the cost, but as we know that Cruise Lines have the OPTION of banning outside booze entirely (as many Lines do), the question here is why Oceania has chosen to actually allow outside liquor onboard while maintaining that written restriction.

The answer must be keeping control in the event of abuse, because if it were strictly a money thing, they would ban the process entirely.

Edited by StanandJim

I agree with you about the cost, but as we know that Cruise Lines have the OPTION of banning outside booze entirely (as many Lines do), the question here is why Oceania has chosen to actually allow outside liquor onboard while maintaining that written restriction.

The answer must be keeping control in the event of abuse, because if it were strictly a money thing, they would ban the process entirely.

I agree with you that keeping control of abuse is likely part of it, but I don't see it as the only reason. I see the "abuse," however, in not the behavior of the passengers due to the potential for over consumption, but "abuse" in the sense of the actual percentage of cruisers who actually choose to bring liquor on board for personal consumption rather than purchase their beverages on board. I suspect that if it got to a point where so many passengers were bringing their and that they were noticing a significant difference in revenue, they'd start enforcing their policy pretty quickly. I also see it as them simply "not enforcing" the policy as opposed to specifically "allowing outside liquor." Probably just semantics, I know, but their company party line has got to be that it's not allowed, or they would start seeing that revenue decrease. As I've stated previously, that they don't enforce it is great for those who do choose to bring on their own. And, whether they enforce it or not, there will always be some who try to bring on their own (and some of them get very creative in doing so), and then there will be those like us to just don't want to deal with it and prefer to buy the package.

I suspect those who bring wine and spirits on board are also a revenue source for Oceania. Enjoying a drink in the stateroom while getting ready for dinner wouldn't prevent someone enjoying wine with dinner, for example, and that wine will either be bought from O or have corkage paid. My feeling is that few people will bring all their alcohol on board.

This brings up another point. Oceania has many rules in their contract with the passengers. It has been said here many times that this one is just for show so there is no need to pay any attention to it. I guess my question is which other ones are just for show? Maybe we can take our own booze out of our cabin, really go where it says crew only or smoke on our veranda? sounds like a slippery slope.

Official word from Oceania:

The policy has always been the same but based on past practice as long as the quantity has not been excessive its not an issue but the company does reserve the right to confiscate if over the stated policy. Thanks for checking.

Jancruz1

Official word from Oceania:

The policy has always been the same but based on past practice as long as the quantity has not been excessive its not an issue but the company does reserve the right to confiscate if over the stated policy. Thanks for checking.

Jancruz1

Thanks, Jan. So pretty much exactly what Don was saying. To me this seems an eminently sensible policy and fits with my experience on Windstar some years ago.

This brings up another point. Oceania has many rules in their contract with the passengers. It has been said here many times that this one is just for show so there is no need to pay any attention to it. I guess my question is which other ones are just for show? Maybe we can take our own booze out of our cabin, really go where it says crew only or smoke on our veranda? sounds like a slippery slope.

But, the rule is not for "show", it has actual teeth -- when needed. I think your argument is just that -- arguing for the sake of arguing.

• 3 years later...
Wife does not drink that much in regards to liquor drinks, but loves her wine. Can you order a high end drink package and a low end drink package or must they both be the same?

Yes, high end and a low end or even a "no end". One person in the cabin can order a package and the other not. The expectation of course is to not share the package

Reading between the lines in your question, and perhaps you know this, I just want to add that the "low-end" House Select I assume your wife is considering based on wine is only valid during dining hours whereas the "high -end" Prestige package not only includes spirits, cocktails etc but is valid as long as there a bar open

Wife does not drink that much in regards to liquor drinks, but loves her wine. Can you order a high end drink package and a low end drink package or must they both be the same?

Your wife can just do the pay as you drink or she could order a bottle & spread it over a few meals or bring your own to drink in the cabin

take it to the dining venues & pay a corkage fee

they also offer a bottle deal 7 bottles for about $300