Chops Price Increase to $39

cjhbeh

I was on that Indy Jan. 17 cruise when the Compass showed second night prices of $40 for Chops and $30 for Giovanni's. but the third day's Compass showed the original prices of $35 and $25. I made a point to look at those prices because I thought the higher prices were a mistake. The rest of the cruise the prices remained as shown on day one.

Day 6 (the second formal night) was also priced at $40 and $30 for the specialty restaurants.

At 39 x 2 + a tip (I know its optional) and drinks -- SEE YA - I would rather spend that money on a land restaurant and enjoy a night with my honey while NOT on vacation. Seems to me that they are OUTPRICING themselves, but since I will not pay those prices it will not affect me.

It could be with so many people opting out of MDR on formal nights, that the rule of supply and demand warrants the increase. There may be an algorithm showing at what point the extra $5 will Pissed off the people who want to escape the pressure of dressing up

I'm with you on that one. Tater tots are pretty much what they served in public school lunch rooms...the kind we used for our cafeteria "food fights". Really, you wanna charge me EXTRA for that? Don't think so. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking Napoleon Dynamite...... ;)

Has anyone on here actually had those tater tots yet???

I ordered the tater tots on the Navigator and they tasted like tater tots from Sonic, just larger. :eek: I ate two bites to make sure I did not like it... the second bite was just as bad as the first!

It's popular to hate on Chop's, but we always enjoy it! Just do not order the tater tots!

There are so many psychological studies where people feel it is better because you paid more for it. WRONG.....I would not be surprised if it was not the same steak you could get in the MDR, just garnished differently.

Wrong............... Do you honestly think the ribeye or filet at a speciality restaurant is the same as at MRD????????:rolleyes: Ha! Have you even tried both?

Just do not order the tater tots!

What if the OP actually likes Sonic tater tots? :)

I dont mind tater tots. Ive even been known to eat Sonic tater tots with cheese and chili :eek:

I dont think the word tater tot belongs on a menu of a fine steakhouse that is often compared to high end land based steakhouses but I was under the impression that there is no similarity at all between the Gruyere tater tots and frozen tater tots found in the frozen section of a grocery store.

Peoples tastes are so different and food is so subjective.

Edited by ryano

Wrong............... Do you honestly think the ribeye or filet at a speciality restaurant is the same as at MRD????????:rolleyes: Ha! Have you even tried both?

If there is a ribeye back on the menu at Chops I may have to reconsider my Chops boycott :D

What if the OP actually likes Sonic tater tots? :)

I dont mind tater tots. Ive even been known to eat Sonic tater tots with cheese and chili :eek:

I dont think the word tater tot belongs on a menu of a fine steakhouse that is often compared to high end land based steakhouses but I was under the impression that there is similarity at all between the Gruyere tater tots and frozen tater tots found in the frozen section of a grocery store.

Peoples tastes are so different and food is so subjective.

Very true. How rude of me! :confused:

What I should have said was, "if you want Sonic tater tots with your meal these are perfect! If not, you might want to try another side."

Nah, not rude. You have every right to your opinion. :) Like I said, I havent tried them yet. I had read a few reviews that said these werent your average tater tot from the frozen section of a grocery store though.

I am currently on liberty and chops is $30 pp. and portofino is $25. Ihad the filet in chops and i can assure you it is not the same steak as offered in the mdr. In my opinion it was well worth the $30. One shrimp in the cocktail is the size of all the shrimps combined in mdr. In the portofino i also tried the filet. Chops wins. But for desert, portofino wins. In addition to our two deserts The waiter brought us a third which included shot of coffee liquer and chocolate dipped strawberries. Both chops and portofino were the highlite of our dining experiences on the cruise

We are cruising in April, the last RC cruise we were on in 2012 it was $30. Even at $30 I don't think we would do it again considering the two of us can have just as good steak at a couple of area restaurants for less than $60. We pretty much decided we will probably end up going to Giovanni's a couple of times and maybe once to Sabor.

People talk about the upgraded steaks...Just don't order them if you don't want to pay for it...Geeze!! For me if the steaks that are offered are tender and flavorful (which has usually been the case) then I am cool with that. I don't have to have a upgraded steak for an upcharge! We don't do Chops because it is a must have on the cruise and we don't think about that the MDR price is included and adding it all up to see what the value of eating in Chops is. We are on vacation and that is just something we like to do and enjoy a little us time at dinner at a table for two.

We were once at an all inclusive in Cancun and even though everything was included, we ventured out and went to a very nice Mexican Restaurant to eat one night for the same reasons I said up above! :cool:

I had a filet in the American Icon Grille on the Quantum this past week that was every bit as good as my filet mignon in Chops.

I was semi-shocked..............but it was a "good shock". ;)

Edited by Merion_Mom

I'm with you on that one. Tater tots are pretty much what they served in public school lunch rooms...the kind we used for our cafeteria "food fights". Really, you wanna charge me EXTRA for that? Don't think so. :rolleyes:

They aren't charging you for the food. They are charging you for the clean up after the food fight.

What I should have said was, "if you want Sonic tater tots with your meal these are perfect! If not, you might want to try another side."

Which side do you recommend, port or starboard?

I just reserved Chops for my Honeymoon cruise on the Freedom. Now I am rethinking it.

So, what are your all's suggestions for a special meal to get away from the MDR for one night that is worth it?

Our last two dinners at Chops (2 different cruises) were very disappointing. We will not return for another. We did love Giovanni's and ate there several times for lunch & dinner.

• 2 weeks later...

Booked Chops when it was $35 and went to change the date/time of my reservation, but it would not let me do it. I called C&A and the first rep told me I owed $4 extra per person, because of the recent price increase. She transferred me to her supervisor and he said the system would not let him change the date/time, but he is going to look into it and call me on Monday. He thinks it is an IT problem, and not a policy problem.

Just FYI! :)

I don't have a problem with the MDR food. I think it has something to do with the same ones that go to the events with the Captain and complain about the butter being in tin-foil packages. The have to feel even more special than the MDR makes them feel. We're just working class people. It's not a luxury line. It's a main stream cruise line for families. We feel super special to even be able to have reached D status. We are probably mistaken for first-time cruisers because we still start smiling at the first glimpse of the ship. We're smiling every night at dinner in the MDR when our waiters bring us our menu. I don't need the Specialty restaurants, but others do and that's fine by me. JMHO.

That's sterching it. $25 was a good deal. $30 was fine. $35 is pushing it. $39 is too much for Chops. On our past two cruises, the quality has been really subpar compared to similar land based restaurants and prior experiences.

Chops does not even use Prime grade beef. On top of that the sides in the "new menu" are not of high quality.

Finally, it's nothing short of "Royally" irritating when they spend five minutes describing how much better the upgraded dry aged steaks are than the steaks included in the cover you have already paid to dine in the specialty venue.

I still love Portofino and Giovanni's, but I'm done with Chops unless it is taking advantage of the BOGO D+ coupon or it is free from some sort of promo.

On most ships that I have sailed this past year, the BOGO is available to all passengers on the first night. On the few times that we have used it, the restaurant was less than half full and that's at half price. So, do I think it's a good idea to raise the price? Maybe if the same few people will still come but I doubt it. And don't' get me started on how it's a benefit to D+ and pinnacle if they give it to everyone.

Now if they would offer a BOGO on Izumi's.........

On most ships that I have sailed this past year, the BOGO is available to all passengers on the first night. On the few times that we have used it, the restaurant was less than half full and that's at half price. So, do I think it's a good idea to raise the price? Maybe if the same few people will still come but I doubt it. And don't' get me started on how it's a benefit to D+ and pinnacle if they give it to everyone.

Now if they would offer a BOGO on Izumi's.........

D+ and better get BOGO on 2nd night as well last time I went.

If there is a ribeye back on the menu at Chops I may have to reconsider my Chops boycott :D
We miss the ribeye. Its removal from the Chops menu was the beginning of Chops demise.

The embarrassingly small selection of steak selections offered at Chops is unworthy of the "steakhouse" designation and makes any comparisons to other real steakhouses laughable.

Now, let me see if I understand this correctly. No more mud pie, no more rib eye along with fewer selections of beef, no more of the famous red velvet cake, the onion soup is gone and so is the oyster appetizer, the baked potato has been replaced by what some call "tator tots", but yet a price increase to thank us for these changes. Very strange business practices indeed!