Sailing conditions on Quantum in Jan15 out of Cape Liberty

RenaeG

I am wanting to book 12 night Southern Caribbean cruise on Anthem of the Seas leaving Cape Liberty on 3 Jan 2016. I've read some of the recent Quantum reviews that talk about rough seas, ports being cut out of the itinerary or reduced times and ports, pools being closed (some pics I've seen show the pools completely drained of water ) and very limited use of North Star due to weather conditions. I was hoping to get some more insight on if this would be typical at this time year or not? And if so how much did it effect your cruise?

I am coming from Australia so it's an expensive exercise when you add $3,000 per person just for flights to NYC at this time of year. I was on Allure in Jan 2014 and rudder issues and strong winds meant less time in St Thomas. I can only take holidays in Dec/Jan so I am keen to know just how much weather effects cruises at this time of year as I desperately want to go on Anthem of the Seas.

Thanks in advance for your information.

I don't know the answer to your question Renae...but I am just so surprised that you would leave lovely warm Australia in Dec/Jan for cold, snowy New Jersey. :D I'm sure Anthem will be an amazing ship, with the kinks worked out by Quantum, so enjoy your cruise! :D

We did the cruise out of Cape Liberty January 11

Here are the temperatures for the days at Sea to and from the Caribbean islands. Day 2 and 12 a bit chilly, while Day 3 was fine. Day 12 was cold!

The actual temperatures are:

Day 1- Bayonne: 23 F;

At Sea:

Day 2: 68 F; Day 3: 80 F

Day 10: 73 F; Day 11: 75 F and Day 12: 60 F.

Day 13 - Bayonne: 20 F

So all in all only Day 2 and Day 12 at sea were cold. Not that bad:cool:

Read my blog for the 12 nights Southern Caribbean Cruise for more details

Dzaa8b6WWM4

OP the weather is typically 20-40 degrees fahrenheit, January is usually colder than December and the Atlantic Ocean can sometimes be rough going down the East Coast of the US.

Temperature isn't the only concern…..snow and freezing rain can close airports thus delaying many flights…this just happened last week. Guest arriving to/from Cape Liberty on the Quantum were met with delays at local airports. Also if you have a connecting flight somewhere in the US take into account the weather conditions that time of year where the connection is.

Just recently the QOS missed San Juan because of rough seas going. I thought someone on CC posted a picture of her with snow on the decks.

So my advice to you if you really want to sail on the Anthem fly in a couple of days early and aim for the beginning of December….less chance of snow and temps are usually in the 40's.

Hope all works out.

We were also on the Jan 11 cruise and it was mostly smooth sailing all the way. Someone else already posted the temps. The first full sea day was extremely windy on the top deck though, making it nearly impossible to walk around the track.

OP the weather is typically 20-40 degrees fahrenheit, January is usually colder than December and the Atlantic Ocean can sometimes be rough going down the East Coast of the US.

Temperature isn't the only concern…..snow and freezing rain can close airports thus delaying many flights…this just happened last week. Guest arriving to/from Cape Liberty on the Quantum were met with delays at local airports. Also if you have a connecting flight somewhere in the US take into account the weather conditions that time of year where the connection is.

Just recently the QOS missed San Juan because of rough seas going. I thought someone on CC posted a picture of her with snow on the decks.

So my advice to you if you really want to sail on the Anthem fly in a couple of days early and aim for the beginning of December….less chance of snow and temps are usually in the 40's.

Hope all works out.

As someone who lives in NYC, I generally agree with this. Early December would most likely be better, BUT...

Definitely get trip insurance!

It is not unheard of for us to have snow and ice even in early December. I will not make travel plans out of here pretty much any time from mid-November through at least the end of March without all-inclusive trip insurance. (I typically don't travel without it anyway, but ESPECIALLY in winter in this area.)

Jan 23rd was VERY bouncy due to a huge storm. Capt Gus took us slow, closer to the US coast and around but we still had big waves, all pools were closed for part of a day, as were outside decks...

I have sailed from NJ many times in winter and it is hit or miss. Arrive a couple days early..if possible, fly home the day after too...

We did miss San Juan due to the storm and taking time to go around, and I think a show got postponed due to weather...and later in the cruise, due to an ill cast member...

That said, Quantum was awesome...cannot wait for Anthem..

Sent from my Galaxy S5

As someone who lives in NYC, I generally agree with this. Early December would most likely be better, BUT...

Definitely get trip insurance!

It is not unheard of for us to have snow and ice even in early December. I will not make travel plans out of here pretty much any time from mid-November through at least the end of March without all-inclusive trip insurance. (I typically don't travel without it anyway, but ESPECIALLY in winter in this area.)

Good idea to go with all inclusive travel insurance. Purchasing travel insurance when we book vacation is always a given for us, so I don't think to remind people to do it.

Being from the northeast, we would only cruise out of Bayonne late spring and summer. Some people don't mind the one to possibly two day cruise through cold weather but I'm not one of them. I'll pay the extra to fly south, feel the heat as I step off the plain, stay a couple of days, and then jump on the cruise. ;)

Would this be your first trip to NYC? If so, I'd get in 4 or 5 days early and make a mini-vacation out of it. Go see a Broadway play, visit the Statue of Liberty, go to the 9/11 memorial.

Even if this isn't your first trip, NYC is something to see during the holiday season. Make sure you visit the Christmas tree over at 30 Rockefeller Plaza. And, while I'm not crazy enough to do this, you may be, as a million people converge at Times Square at midnight December 31 to ring in the New Year.

Agreeing with everyone...get in at least two or three days ahead of time. And make sure you get trip insurance.

Good luck.

Would this be your first trip to NYC? If so, I'd get in 4 or 5 days early and make a mini-vacation out of it. Go see a Broadway play, visit the Statue of Liberty, go to the 9/11 memorial.

Even if this isn't your first trip, NYC is something to see during the holiday season. Make sure you visit the Christmas tree over at 30 Rockefeller Plaza. And, while I'm not crazy enough to do this, you may be, as a million people converge at Times Square at midnight December 31 to ring in the New Year.

Agreeing with everyone...get in at least two or three days ahead of time. And make sure you get trip insurance.

Good luck.

I've been to NYC a few times but never in winter. So def want to be there at least 5 days before sailing... Do NUE there, there's a few restaurants I want to go to and I'm obsessed with Cake Boss so a trip to the store in NJ is a must!!! I'll have 3 or 4 weeks to play with. I love the caribbean so might even fly down to am island for 4 days after the cruise gets back. So much to plan!!

Thanks for the tips

• 5 months later...
We did the cruise out of Cape Liberty January 11

Here are the temperatures for the days at Sea to and from the Caribbean islands. Day 2 and 12 a bit chilly, while Day 3 was fine. Day 12 was cold!

The actual temperatures are:

Day 1- Bayonne: 23 F;

At Sea:

Day 2: 68 F; Day 3: 80 F

Day 10: 73 F; Day 11: 75 F and Day 12: 60 F.

Day 13 - Bayonne: 20 F

So all in all only Day 2 and Day 12 at sea were cold. Not that bad:cool:

Read my blog for the 12 nights Southern Caribbean Cruise for more details

Dzaa8b6WWM4

I've only taken the time to go through your blog now but I wanted to drop you a not to say after going through your blog I'm even more excited about my cruise now. Tx