How are table mates assigned? Any truth to this?

cebee123

My sister said she thinks that the cruise line makes an effort to put like people together as table mates... seems she had other honeymooners on her honeymoon cruise, parents with kids when she took her young son on a cruise, etc. Since it will be me and my 24 year old daughter I wondered if there is some truth to it and we might be assigned a table with others in the same situation.

I cant see RCI actually sitting around making seating arrangements in this manner... but would be awesome if they did. ( even awesomer if we ended up at a table full of moms with eligible 25 year old sons... )

Any thoughts?

I think they do try to match you up most of the time. One time they sat our family of 3 boys with another family of 3 similarly aged girls. That was impressive.

Other times we have been matched up with other families, but the ages were a bit off. When they put us with a family with an infant one time (vs my teens), we did ask to be moved, but it turns out that they did too.

Another time they sat us with 5 middle aged women who either never showed or were late each night. That was probably the worst, and after that, I just started asking for our own family table.

I suggest asking for a large table and if you feel really mismatched, ask to be moved.

Edited by marci22

My sister said she thinks that the cruise line makes an effort to put like people together as table mates... seems she had other honeymooners on her honeymoon cruise, parents with kids when she took her young son on a cruise, etc. Since it will be me and my 24 year old daughter I wondered if there is some truth to it and we might be assigned a table with others in the same situation.

I cant see RCI actually sitting around making seating arrangements in this manner... but would be awesome if they did. ( even awesomer if we ended up at a table full of moms with eligible 25 year old sons... )

Any thoughts?

You are actually very close to the truth. It could happen that an eligible young man will on the same table, together with his very eligible dad. :D

To sort the wheat from the chaff, join the singles get together/meeting, arrange to meet for dinner and give the MD stateroom numbers to organise the table. :)

Who knows what will happen;)

I think they do try to match you up most of the time. One time they sat our family of 3 boys with another family of 3 similarly aged girls. That was impressive.

Other times we have been matched up with other families, but the ages were a bit off. When they put us with a family with an infant one time (vs my teens), we did ask to be moved, but it turns out that they did too.

Another time they sat us with 5 middle aged women who either never showed or were late each night. That was probably the worst, and after that, I just started asking for our own family table.

I suggest asking for a large table and if you feel really mismatched, ask to be moved.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but how exactly do you do that? Email them before the cruise?

If my recent cruise on the Grandeur is any indication, I would say no. I was sailing solo and was placed at a large table with 4 other married couples. Each couple had been married at least 30 years and all were at least diamond. Three of the couples were elderly and already retired.

It was enjoyable and we all had great conversations but if they were making an effort to seat like individuals I was definitely the odd ball out...although they were all similar, at least on paper.

We have always had the opportunity to travel in a suite, and starting with our first cruse we have been paired with others in suites.

(Mariner., Freedom x 2., and Allure x 2)

However on our last Allure cruise we requested a table for 10 cause we were meeting up with a family from Florida, and initially we were seated with another family from a suite (messed up reservation), and then moved to our request table.

Safe journy.

On my Alaskan cruise we were seated with another couple in their mid 30s, with similar professions.

Our other couple at the table were a pair of nuns. They told tales of all of their travels, and joined us on the helicopter excursion to the glacier.

Sometimes table matches are very well done!

Not trying to hijack the thread, but how exactly do you do that? Email them before the cruise?

Yes

Dining Operations RCCL

Work Email:

ID_AssistantRestaurantManagerDR3@rccl.com

ID_ = the ship (Indy)

OR

Direct to the RM

ID_RestaurantManager@rccl.co (ID_ equals the ship ID code)

Enjoy:D

I'm not sure how you do it when you book direct but when we go through our travel agent, we ask for a table size. It's not guaranteed but I think they try to fill your request. We always ask for a table of 6 or 8 so we can socialize and we usually get it. So if you are a family of 4 I guess you ask for a table for 4. One time we asked for a large table for 6 or 8 and when we got their we were assigned a table for two. We asked for a larger table and they moved us.

As far as pairing you with like people, it's been hit or miss for us. A couple times they sat some people at our table that didn't speak any English and no one else at our table could speak their language. After the first night, we never saw them again.

...( even awesomer if we ended up at a table full of moms with eligible 25 year old sons... )

Any thoughts?

25 year old sons traveling with just mom? I love my mom too, but that could be one of the reasons they're still eligible. :D;)

They must try to match age, marital status, kids/no kids because as many times as we've cruised (no kids), we've only been seated with folks with kids once. All other times, seating has matched our age and our cabin type. One cruise when I was single, I was seated at a table w/one other single and a couple. When the other single didn't show, I asked to be moved. Was moved to a table w/4 single women traveling together. The matre'd must have a list with table demographics in case you want to be moved to something more suitable.

We've also noticed that when we stay in suites, our table is in the center, near the Captain's table. Does anyone know if this is a given or just a coincidence?

One sailing on carnival another teacher and I were traveling together (2 female friends ) for spring break and we were seated at a large table with mostly male couples. A set of young women who were sisters were there too and they moved. No eligible guys at our table! But we stayed with the "boys" and had a great time. Still friends with one couple.

One sailing on carnival another teacher and I were traveling together (2 female friends ) for spring break and we were seated at a large table with mostly male couples. A set of young women who were sisters were there too and they moved. No eligible guys at our table! But we stayed with the "boys" and had a great time. Still friends with one couple.

That is a funny story; glad it worked out.

Just from the reservation alone, in general I'm not sure the cruise line would know if the "boys" were just friends or much more. Same you you and your friend. On Royal Caribbean, linked C&A accounts should mean coupled, though some people could link accounts to get matching benefits.

We sail in suites, and have been seated with all categories of cabins....so I don't think your room type is a factor. I think they do try to match families with families and couples with couples, etc....

We've been with all different age groups....which is fine with us! I think they do a fine job...and we enjoy our table mates!

Edited by cb at sea

They do seem to make some effort to match things up. The times we were seated at a large table, they always seemed to try and match us with someone around our age and with a kid around my middle son's age. The first time they were spot on (a boy his own age), but as he got older we seemed to be seated with teen girls who were a year or two older

than him;).

Out of 14, 15 cruises, we always ask for a large table to meet folks, I love to hear about others day, excursions, experiences. We have had only one bad pairing, a table of four, and the other couple couldn't have been more opposite from us. On paper, I bet it looked perfect. After 30 or so minutes I asked, "so who is going to ask for a table change after dinner? It might as well be us, pleasure to have met you..." and off we went.

It's that simple, but I really believe the planning is well thought out.

This is an interesting theory...on our last cruise, I had requested a table for my DH and I, my MIL and FIL and my 4-year old son. RCCLdining said I would get my request, but when I boarded, found I was in a gigantic table for 14. I tried to get it remedied, but the maitre'D said I could not be accommodated on the first night and said they'd try to fix it the next night. The other 9 people didn't show up the 1st night and we fell in love with our waiters, so we decided to stick with it. BIG MISTAKE.

When they showed up the next night, they were all couples, 20's to early 30s and it was an awkward mix. They were very heavy drinkers and then they requested 3 of their friends be added to our table the next night. I guess RCCL must have screwed up more than our dining requests if they were all supposed to be linked. Our poor waiters had so much work to do, everyone wanted multiple this and that, and dinner turned into a 2h ordeal every night. My son sometimes did not make it, as dinner was just too long and he only wanted to be with us. If they didn't treat my 4-year old so well, we would have asked for a change. Our waiters were so nice and accommodating, brought his food right away, and went the extra mile for him.

I always believed that they DID match people according to stateroom category, family ages etc., because we always seemed to have a good fit, but I must admit that on our last few cruises we could see no real match. Maybe they used to do it but no longer do?

Not a problem either way, as generally we love the company of table mates from different places, except on one occasion where we asked to change as we just didn't like our table mates at all, and another where we didn't share a common language, which was a bit awkward for all concerned.

25 year old sons traveling with just mom? I love my mom too, but that could be one of the reasons they're still eligible. :D;)

:D Well it COULD be them celebrating his graduation from Med School... a girl could dream....

Does anyone know if Vision does any singles activities- not that my daughter wont enjoy every second she spends with mom and all but....

During our 2011 LOS TA my husband & I were at a table of 10, all from California except one lady from FL. Except for my husband and another ladys, we were all women. Had a great time. My husband & I had Guest Relations make up a Certificate, saying the lady from FL was being named as an honorary Californian and got a card for everyone to sign. She thought that was great.:) This had to have been one of the longest times my husband went without talking, being outdone by all the ladies.:D

I always believed that they DID match people according to stateroom category, family ages etc., because we always seemed to have a good fit, but I must admit that on our last few cruises we could see no real match. Maybe they used to do it but no longer do?

Not a problem either way, as generally we love the company of table mates from different places, except on one occasion where we asked to change as we just didn't like our table mates at all, and another where we didn't share a common language, which was a bit awkward for all concerned.

I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped matching people up. Our last cruise (June 2014), was our first with table mates, as we usually traveled with a group of 7-10 and always had a table just for us. Our family of two 50ish year olds and a teen son were put with a late-20's/early 30's couple on their honeymoon... It was quite awkward, and to make it worse they tried to discuss their religious beliefs with us several nights... Not what I planned on talking about over my dinner.

And that's why we'll be requesting a table for just the 3 of us on our next cruise. :)

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

We've also noticed that when we stay in suites, our table is in the center, near the Captain's table. Does anyone know if this is a given or just a coincidence?

On our first cruise on Grandeur, we were staying in a suite, and we had early dining and were placed right next to the Captain's table. So maybe not a coincidence.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our first cruise on Grandeur, we were staying in a suite, and we had early dining and were placed right next to the Captain's table. So maybe not a coincidence.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our last B2B Cruise on the Adventure we stayed in an Ocean View and had a table for two next to Captains table. The second leg of the Cruise we sat at the Captains table.

Edited by davekathy