question about using birthcertificate for cruise

lesliecavanagh

I have just a birth certificate and my drivers license for the cruise. But the birth certificate is in my maiden name and not my married name do I need my marrage license too?

Yes, you need the "bridge" documents that show the name change. If you have been married more than once, you need to bring a copy of each marriage license. Also make sure your birth certificate is your legal one and not the copy from the hospital.

No..not true...as long as your birth date matches...you're good. NO married woman's BC will match her DL.

As true as this is it is better to have it and not need it then the other way around. It's only one more piece of paper to carry.

I have just a birth certificate and my drivers license for the cruise. But the birth certificate is in my maiden name and not my married name do I need my marrage license too?

Probably not, but if you have it take it with you just to be safe.

While many will tell you that you do not need this, and that they have cruised for years without providing one, it is part of the CBP inspectors guidelines to examine bridge documents if they feel it is necessary. So, is it always required, or always inspected? No. Would it be "prudent" to have it? Sure, the CBP agent can be having a bad hair day and decide to enforce the letter of the law, not just its intent.

Do you have your marriage certificate? Take it along. Better to have and not need it than the other way around.

The info at the link below does not pertain to your situation exactly as you are not using a passport, but in my opinion it's worth reading, and heeding.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1209/kw/marriage%20licence/sno/1 <--click here

NO married woman's BC will match her DL.

Hence the "bridging document".

Edited by Langley Cruisers

My NC driver's license now has my maiden name as a middle name on it- my 1st name, maiden name then married last name. Any other states do this? But we have passports.

I'm in California. It's a personal choice here for whatever name you put on your DL (with documentation). Hence I use my maiden last name as my middle name ( Sadie Smith Nome) but my DH's sister, born Jane Mary Smith uses her given middle name on her DL (Jane Mary Jones)

Edited by SadieN

No..not true...as long as your birth date matches...you're good. NO married woman's BC will match her DL.

I have a friend whose maiden name is Nguyen. She married a guy whose last name is also Nguyen. Her birth certificate did match her DL after her marriage. We called it a Nguyen-Nguyen situation.

And this entire thread is just a great example of why one should invest in a Passport. With that document there are no questions, doubts, issues, etc. And you can go just about anywhere in the world on a moments notice.

Hank

And this entire thread is just a great example of why one should invest in a Passport. With that document there are no questions, doubts, issues, etc. And you can go just about anywhere in the world on a moments notice.

Hank

One still needs the money and time to be able to go anywhere on a moments notice;). With a little due diligence using an alternate means of documentation isn't all that risky.

Hank

Also I just saw a note for a cruise in the Caribbean its a 14 day closed loop cruise that stops at St. Barts. All passengers MUST have a passport for this cruise. First time I have seen a closed loop cruise in the Caribbean with that requirement.

I bet if the cruise lines offer Cuba on the itinerary passport is going to be a requirement!