Is Oceania right for us

bluesifi

Hi

I am looking to try a different cruise company, after many cruises with 'Celebrity'.

I have read some great reviews on Oceania, but I am worried as our TA has said it caters for an older age group and said we may feel out of place, and have suggested 'Royal Caribbean'.

My husband and I are 45, who enjoy great food, interesting ports & people watching. Not real night owls, but enjoy a glass of wine in evening (and we are not a boring as that makes us sound)

As we do not have children, we also do not really want then running around us all day.

Thanks for your help.

Hi

I am looking to try a different cruise company, after many cruises with 'Celebrity'.

I have read some great reviews on Oceania, but I am worried as our TA has said it caters for an older age group and said we may feel out of place, and have suggested 'Royal Caribbean'.

My husband and I are 45, who enjoy great food, interesting ports & people watching. Not real night owls, but enjoy a glass of wine in evening (and we are not a boring as that makes us sound)

As we do not have children, we also do not really want then running around us all day.

Thanks for your help.

Our favorite line was Celebrity; but is now Oceania. O reminds us of the way X used to be many years ago. The average age might be a bit older; but we have found that they are the most enjoyable and interesting passengers we have shared cruises with. You might want to try a shorter O cruise during vacation times if you want a younger group. We have found that most longer cruises attract more retirees, as would be expected.

Either way, you should certainly try O. It is a most enjoyable cruising experience.

Hi

Sounds like the perfect Oceania passenger.... and find a new TA.

We started cruising with O in our mid 50's now mid 60's

We have met some of of those "older age groups" they can run rings around us

Age is just a number ;)

Try Oceania & decide for yourself

Do find a TA that knows Oceania & have actually been on a cruise if you can

Lyn

An Oceania executive once told me, "our target demographic is 50 to 70". Ever since I passed 70 four years ago, I've been worried they would kick me out ;).

But, it turns out, the "target" is not a rule, and for every person beyond 70 there are at least as many younger than 50. The best part is, when sharing a table with younger or older folks, the age seems to melt away. Age is really a matter of attitude. My son is 45, and not yet ready for Oceania as he prefers more of a nightlife. But, my favorite friends on Oceania are young enough to be my sons! In fact, we call them "our kids".

Age is relative. I'm 62 and have been sailing O for ~10 years.

On our last O trip a lady and a gentleman of ~80 years joined our tour of Petra, a 6-mile round trip walk, uphill returning to the entrance. They walked the entire way, we did not wait for them, and we all enjoyed the trip immensely.

On our last Celebrity cruise we saw several much younger, very heavy folks who mostly sat at the bar and drank and smoked, day in, day out.

My point is that although O skews older than Celebrity (within my limited experience of X), many of the O cruisers are seasoned and active travelers, and not all the "fun" on Celebrity is age-centric. You won't have any problems aboard O, and your fellow passengers will welcome you onboard as well. Age doesn't matter.

Edited by TKS

Hi

Thanks for your help.

I would think about changing your TA if they are recommending for you to sail with Royal Caribbean.

bluesifi...

As you are from Rutland you will fit right into Oceania. I did and I am from Lutterworth :D Joking aside, we have sailed X and still do, but we prefer 'O'. Next Wed cannot come soon enough....we join Riviera. Seven grandchildren stay at home....we look forward to seeing them when we return.;)

Full disclosure first - I have not (yet) sailed Oceania, but we just booked our first O cruise. I'm 54, but I've been cruising on the luxury lines (Regent, Crystal, Windstar)...the ones that everyone always says draws an older crowd...since my early 40's, and have NEVER felt out-of-place due to age.

There's a difference between the "mature" crowd you will find on these types of cruises, vs the "mature" crowd you will find on the mass-market lines. I'm trying to figure out how to articulate this without sending the wrong impression, so bear with me. :o I'll give it a shot.

In my experience, the people on the higher-end lines are well-traveled - and not just on booze-and-buffet cruises to over-touristed islands, but REAL adventure travel to fascinating and exotic places around the world. Furthermore, in order to even be on a higher-end line they must have the resources to afford it, which usually means they've got some interesting life stories to tell. All of this life and travel experience generally leads to fabulous dinner conversations.

Another comment about hanging with people older than you: my husband and I, although we're in our mid-50's, tend to be "youngish" for our age -- we are very active, I run marathons, we both scuba dive and race sailboats, he rides motorcycles. A few years ago we were invited to join a local yacht club. When we went to check it out, we discovered that the average age was clearly somewhere in the 70's. We figured we wouldn't fit in. But we joined anyway, to give it a shot. Yes, we are almost always the youngest folks at the table, but we have met some of the most WONDERFUL people, some of whom have become very close friends. We all have similar interests - really, anything to do with boating - so we have plenty to talk about. The fact that they have more wrinkles than we do completely disappears once we all get to talking.

Same thing on the cruises I've been on. I'm usually at the younger end of the spectrum, but I'm only saying that upon reflection. At the time, I don't even notice it.

So don't let concerns about age keep you from O. Give it a try, and I'll be willing to bet you'll find it really doesn't matter.

There were quite a few young families including kids on our Alaska cruise this past summer. Age range of passengers was broad though primarily 50s/60s.

Age range is less a consideration for us than is the education/experience demographic. I want to be on a ship where conversation will be informed, interesting and vibrant. O has that demographic. Note: when granddaughter is old enough to understand/appreciate cruising, we'll broaden our horizons to include Disney.

Age range is less a consideration for us than is the education/experience demographic. I want to be on a ship where conversation will be informed, interesting and vibrant. O has that demographic.

This! ^ You just encapsulated in two sentences what took me several paragraphs to say. LOL!

This! ^ You just encapsulated in two sentences what took me several paragraphs to say. LOL!

In a non-cruise ship experience while I was working, I had the good fortune to end up on the island of Saipan during a major memorial event on a milestone anniversary of the Battle of Tinian and Saipan. Though no youngster myself, I was surrounded by many geezers (and I use that term lovingly). Next to me was seated one of the speakers who turned out to be Paul Tibbits, the pilot of the Enola Gay. Now THAT a conversation - far better than "how 'bout them Niners?" which might typify some conversations with guys half his age.

- far better than "how 'bout them Niners?" .

..and what's wrong with that topic? :D :D :D

In answer to that question - plenty at the moment :D

To OP - I think O deserves a try and then you can decide for yourself if it is a repeat for you or not.

Edited by Paulchili

i was on in JaNUARY AND HAD BEEN A CELEBRITY CRUISER AND THOUGHT I WANTED TO TRY SOMETHING BETTER... I was bored.. dull environment. Lacked the fun factor. crowd was uninteresting.. if you want to have fun.. dont choose this company..

I've been on Oceania, on mass market lines, and on some interesting ships whose names are not widely known. There was one pattern on all of them: An itinerary focused on port experiences attracted more interesting passengers than a warm weather cruise of people exhausted by demanding jobs, snow and ice. They want to soak up sun and relax - understandably. They may not even own a passport.

The lady from the outback sheep station and the recently retired Newfoundland commercial fisherman on Princess and HAL were among the most interesting passengers I have ever met. The cruise was special to them.

i was on in JaNUARY AND HAD BEEN A CELEBRITY CRUISER AND THOUGHT I WANTED TO TRY SOMETHING BETTER... I was bored.. dull environment. Lacked the fun factor. crowd was uninteresting.. if you want to have fun.. dont choose this company..

Fun is in he eye of the beholder. :rolleyes:

The demographic discussion is always interesting.

We have 4 sons (17 to 28) who we taught from a young age to respect elders.

One of our joys now is to see them enjoying conversation with older people and telling us how they loved their stories and experiences.

I also see the joy in the older person being respected and valued.

Win,win

It is not uncommon for us to hear this from first time Oceania cruisers. Oceania is not for everyone. It does not have a fun factor. The passengers are generally well educated and well travelled and are interested in the ports.

Many of us love this atmosphere but it is not for everyone

The ship is quiet compared to celebrity or similar

As you found out Oceania is not for everyone

You must do your research then decide if it is something that fits your needs & wants

Something tells me you did not do your research :rolleyes:

Lyn

Seems to me that's a pretty strong statement to make, considering that "fun" can mean completely different things to different people, and your idea of fun might not be anywhere near her idea of fun. Fortunately she did, in fact, give us some clues as to what she finds fun on vacation. Which makes me curious: did you read the original post that started this thread? The OP stated the following:

That doesn't sound like someone who's definition of "fun" is glitzy Vegas-style ships, late nights at the bar, or big Broadway-review shows. It sounds to me like someone who's definition of "fun" aligns more with what they would find on Oceania - great food, interesting ports, and fascinating people.

Hence, I would have to disagree with your urging them not to go on Oceania.

Just my opinion, of course.