Held hostage in Livorno port!!

Level six

An update as I am in Livorno today.

NCL wanted $12 for a bus to the station, and didn't mention the Livorno shuttle to the town centre for €6.

Despite everyone saying it was not allowed to walk out of the port from the remote (industrial) berths, I did just that today, taking about 30 minutes to stroll to the town.

I believe the issue is that it is not forbidden, just really really not recommended.

There are no signs to direct you, few footpaths, and lots of port vehicles moving around at speed. Coming back, we had to take a different route as gates had been locked closed on the route out, and you had to walk in the opposite direction to the ship to get around one of the other berths.

So you can walk out if you are confident and not pressed for time. Otherwise take one if the rip off shuttles.

. . . It would be nice to have some additional reports to see if others are experiencing the same dearth of taxis....

I, too, experienced the dilemma of no taxis upon arrival (the first time I was in Livorno, I got one willing to go to the train station and shared the cab with others, no problem). But last summer, there were none to be had when I left the ship. We were in the new welcome center at the port. I believe there was an area where you could set up a taxi tour to Firenze or Pisa, but we were out of luck for the train station. I was forced into Plan B of taking the shuttle-to-local-bus-to-train-station option. As others have said, I think it may all depend on where the ship is docked and how many are in port.

For my next trip, I'm seriously considering hiring a driver to get us to Florence and then taking the train back.

Thanks, insanemagnet, for your report! Good to know. I read recently on another travel site that for those able to get out of the port by foot, the local bus stop to the train station is close by.

Edited by syesmar

To answer two points.

Taxis, there must have been 20+ taxis lined up at 9am, and even at 10am there were still a few left. At 10am the taxi drivers were offering fares to the station or town centre (I didn't ask the fare).

As regards the bus from the port entrance, the stop is immediately outside. However if you are just going to the town centre there is little point as it is only five minutes walk away.

The major obstacle is finding your way from the ship to the entrance (and back again), which for us was a 20 minute walk, using Google Earth satellite images to work out the way (Google maps was not sufficient).

An update as I am in Livorno today.

NCL wanted $12 for a bus to the station, and didn't mention the Livorno shuttle to the town centre for €6.

Despite everyone saying it was not allowed to walk out of the port from the remote (industrial) berths, I did just that today, taking about 30 minutes to stroll to the town.

I believe the issue is that it is not forbidden, just really really not recommended.

There are no signs to direct you, few footpaths, and lots of port vehicles moving around at speed. Coming back, we had to take a different route as gates had been locked closed on the route out, and you had to walk in the opposite direction to the ship to get around one of the other berths.

So you can walk out if you are confident and not pressed for time. Otherwise take one if the rip off shuttles.

Good for you! When we were there, there was a guard stopping people from exiting the area. Love to hear it.

Ncl are charging $12 return from the Ncl Spirit by bus to Livorno train station.

This is from last months Ncl Spirit Dailies.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iz7c2aimbld0gpk/Dailies.pdf?dl=0

Price seems very fair.

I agree that this is a fair enough price.

The downside of this bus is, like any bus, arriving at the station in a large group, which means 50+ people at the same time trying to purchase train tickets. If you're in Civitavecchia (or Genova if traveling in the other direction) the day before it would be smart to purchase your Livorno - Florence tickets ahead of time so you can go right to the platform after getting off the bus.

Edited by euro cruiser

Shuttle should be free of charge as it is in port of Civitavecchia.

The Port shuttle system in Civitavecchia is operated by the local Port Authority and transports all cruise/ferry passengers between the port entrance and their ship. And yes, it is totally free. But the Port of Livorno does not operate any such shuttle (although there used to be rumors of an internal port bus which nobody has ever seen). In the Port of Livorno there is a a paid bus that runs between various ships and central Livorno (more then a mile from the train station) and this bus charges a fee. Our understanding is that this bus into Livorno is subsidized by the local merchants. But this Livorno bus does not usually makes its first run until around 8:30 (by which time many of us are half-way to Florence). Using this bus into Livorno means you then need to either catch another bus or get a taxi to the train station. Using this bus to bus combination means the earliest train you could catch (from Livorno) is the 9:12 which gets you into Florence at 10:30. But those who managed to grab an early taxi (which often costs no more then the bus if you share) can make the 7:43 or 8:12 and be in Florence by about 9:30! In a too short port visit that extra hour is very meaningful.

We have long said (here on CC and elsewhere) that the Port of Livorno is one of the least "passenger-friendly" ports in Western Europe. Civitavecchia, on the other hand, is one of the best "passenger-friendly" ports with its excellent internal free shuttle system.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Just a quick question about this info. If you use a non-ship tour ,like Rome Cabs for example. Can they pick you up in front of the ship or do you have to take a sponsored type of transport to the port entrance and be picked up by your non ship tour there ?

Just a quick question about this info. If you use a non-ship tour ,like Rome Cabs for example. Can they pick you up in front of the ship or do you have to take a sponsored type of transport to the port entrance and be picked up by your non ship tour there ?

I THINK they can pick you up at the ship as long as they have a certain permit. Many other passengers had pre arranged tours and they were picked up ship side. I am not certain about that specific one, you should just call or email them to make sure. Have fun.

• 1 month later...

Should be noted here that most of the "security" is just for folks to feel they are more secure by seeing "Port Security", "Airport Security", "Ship Security". I'm sure these top notch security people feel they are a big help, but in reality more than 90% of weapons, explosives, etc. get through the screening process with no problem. Think about all the possibilities if a terrorist organization wants to attack a specific area - Really, how hard would it be for a bad person to obtain a sea card to get back in to a port? Terrorist would probably even pay the $12 or 10 euros or 25 euros, as they are backed by Big Bucks many times.

Just be happy that with so many ports, ships, planes, airports, etc. they cannot be everywhere, so we have strength in numbers - terrorist make a hit, get their point across and move on. By us not showing the fear, apprehension, hatred, consternation and trepidation they want, we end up doing the things we want to do, even in a World of crazy events. Screening is good - It might even keep some bad guys out of areas we want to be safer.

Sure, the false security has a purpose - It makes many travelers feel better.

Travel Safe - Travel Smart - But Keep on Seeing the Wonders of the World

Not sure about the rest of you posting here, but I for one DON'T have a problem paying $$ versus having taxi drivers (or anyone else) that is not screened in some way to be allowed into an area that needs to be a secure area.

Think about it…..most ports do not let taxis into the secure area of a port. They must wait outside that area - unfortunately Livorno is a HUGE industrial port making that area quite a distance from the pier. Many other ports just aren't that big…… Istanbul is probably the easiest place to walk to a taxi, Athens is a bit further etc etc…….

As for rules changing…… security is security. Period. I don't know of any place where they have changed the rules so that they are no longer trying to be sure that their port area is secure. Especially in this day and all the craziness in the world. Most have stepped up security and the rules that go with it.

and lastly - tsk tsk Hank. I would not have taken you for a "rule breaker" :confused:

It may have been 4 or more years since we docked in Livorno but we have done so several times in the past. As I remember it......the port shuttle was like Civit., no charge but only to outside the gates and then we had to get to the train station by local bus or taxi. We would have been on Celebrity (they usually don't do FREE) or maybe Azamara. But if there was a charge, I probably would have remembered. So any old timers, remember free? Hope Civit is not getting ideas from this!

• 1 month later...

This first time cruiser is confused!

Is there any chance that there will be taxis next to the ship when it docks at Livorno? Have the port rules allowing this changed for 2015?

If we get off early can we still try to find a taxi driver willing to take us (plus others hopefully) to Livorno Centrale?

The Port shuttle system in Civitavecchia is operated by the local Port Authority and transports all cruise/ferry passengers between the port entrance and their ship. And yes, it is totally free. But the Port of Livorno does not operate any such shuttle (although there used to be rumors of an internal port bus which nobody has ever seen). In the Port of Livorno there is a a paid bus that runs between various ships and central Livorno (more then a mile from the train station) and this bus charges a fee. Our understanding is that this bus into Livorno is subsidized by the local merchants. But this Livorno bus does not usually makes its first run until around 8:30 (by which time many of us are half-way to Florence). Using this bus into Livorno means you then need to either catch another bus or get a taxi to the train station. Using this bus to bus combination means the earliest train you could catch (from Livorno) is the 9:12 which gets you into Florence at 10:30. But those who managed to grab an early taxi (which often costs no more then the bus if you share) can make the 7:43 or 8:12 and be in Florence by about 9:30! In a too short port visit that extra hour is very meaningful.

We have long said (here on CC and elsewhere) that the Port of Livorno is one of the least "passenger-friendly" ports in Western Europe. Civitavecchia, on the other hand, is one of the best "passenger-friendly" ports with its excellent internal free shuttle system.

Hank

What a shame tho :o

Edited by samavarcruiser

This first time cruiser is confused!

Is there any chance that there will be taxis next to the ship when it docks at Livorno? Have the port rules allowing this changed for 2015?

If we get off early can we still try to find a taxi driver willing to take us (plus others hopefully) to Livorno Centrale?

You mean Italy is confusing? Surely you jest! Yes, there will be taxis right next to the ship when you exit the vessel (especially early in the day). The problem (which we have oft repeated here on CC) is that most of these taxis are looking for passengers that want to hire them for the full day..for which folks negotiate a price usually in the 250-400 Euro range.

So, getting a taxi to Livorno Centrale can be a challenge, but we have always managed to get it done...providing one exits the ship relatively soon after it docks. Sometimes you get lucky and there will be an Italian man functioning as a taxi organizer who will be very helpful. With luck you will find a taxi that you can share with a few others and split the cost (about 25€ for the taxi). If you encounter a situation where none of the taxis are willing to go to the station then politely ask the drivers if they can please call you another taxi to go to the station. We have sometimes had to wait about 15 min, but have never been stranded on the pier :).

Also be advised that when you return (by train) in the late afternoon there are only a limited number of taxis waiting outside the main entrance of the train station. Unlike in the morning, these taxis are simply first come-first serve. So it is wise to among the first off the train and then walk very fast to be among the first out of the main entrance. If you miss all the taxis you must simply wait until some taxis show-up at that station...and this can be a long wait. The last time this happened to us, one of the station employees got on his cell phone and called some taxis (which came to the station in about 10 min).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 2 months later...

I have found this information helpful, especially as a first-time cruiser and first time to Italy. After reading this, I now plan to rent a car for the four of us. Has anyone done so recently and know if you can pick up and drop off fairly close to the ship without requiring the shuttle?

I have found this information helpful, especially as a first-time cruiser and first time to Italy. After reading this, I now plan to rent a car for the four of us. Has anyone done so recently and know if you can pick up and drop off fairly close to the ship without requiring the shuttle?

Ok, so lets talk about rental cars. Your best bet is to reserve through "Sifracar.com" who is the Livorno franchiee for Hertz. They will deliver right to the pier and allow you to drop at the pier (the port security at the main gate will allow their cars into the port). There are also some other rental car agencies that may deliver to the port, but Sifracar has traditionally been the most reliable. They do charge more money for their rental service at the port (they have "Cruise Ship" specials on their web site) but its usually worth the money since you avoid needing any kind of shuttle or taxi.

Keep in mind that most rentals in Italy are standard (stick shift) transmissions. If you must have an automatic, and they are available, it will generally cost you a real premium. We also strongly recommend either renting or bringing your own GPS device.

And finally, keep in mind that Italy has some challenges for drivers who are unfamiliar with their system. In some cities (like Florence and Pisa) they have restricted driving zones (called ZTLs) where you will get a hefty fine if you drive into the area (your car is photographed and the fine will later be assessed by your rental car company + a nice administrative fee). Parking in Italy is also interesting so you might want to read-up on the subject prior to your trip.

Hank

Ok, so lets talk about rental cars. Your best bet is to reserve through "Sifracar.com" who is the Livorno franchiee for Hertz. They will deliver right to the pier and allow you to drop at the pier (the port security at the main gate will allow their cars into the port). There are also some other rental car agencies that may deliver to the port, but Sifracar has traditionally been the most reliable. They do charge more money for their rental service at the port (they have "Cruise Ship" specials on their web site) but its usually worth the money since you avoid needing any kind of shuttle or taxi.

Keep in mind that most rentals in Italy are standard (stick shift) transmissions. If you must have an automatic, and they are available, it will generally cost you a real premium. We also strongly recommend either renting or bringing your own GPS device.

And finally, keep in mind that Italy has some challenges for drivers who are unfamiliar with their system. In some cities (like Florence and Pisa) they have restricted driving zones (called ZTLs) where you will get a hefty fine if you drive into the area (your car is photographed and the fine will later be assessed by your rental car company + a nice administrative fee). Parking in Italy is also interesting so you might want to read-up on the subject prior to your trip.

Hank

Been driving in Italy for the past month. Trust me, no amount of reading will prepare you!!!!! Rules? What rules? It's all insane.

Definitely worth it to bring your own GPS - I have a Garmin and bought the Italy SD card on Amazon. Works 95% of the time. Some of the middle of nowhere places I have been though it has been stumped!

Edited by twin123185

Been driving in Italy for the past month. Trust me, no amount of reading will prepare you!!!!! Rules? What rules? It's all insane.

Love it. :D

What amazes me is that there aren't more accidents than there are. They seem to make it work. Maybe it's all the espresso....

:D

Rules? What rules? It's all insane.

!

Of course Italy has rules.:rolleyes:

1. In the US you drive on the right side.

In the UK they drive on the left side.

In Italy they drive on the shady side.

2. Always give right-of-way .....

a) to pretty girls

b) to Ferraris & Lamborghinis

c) to buses & trucks

But never give right-of-way.....

x) to BMWs

y) to taxis

z) to Lambrettas (unless ridden by a pretty girl)

3. A safe following distance behind the vehicle in front is six inches (reduced to three inches in towns, so that a Lambretta can't squeeze in)

4. Speed limits are only suggestions for wimps.

5. If you see a friend in the street, you are forbidden to stop and block the road for more than five minutes (increased to ten minutes if the friend is a pretty girl)

6. At lights:

Green means go

Amber means go.

Red means go.

Makes it all very simple.

7. Sidewalks are provided for parking, and for riding Lambrettas.

8. No more than three adults on one Lambretta, but no limit on the number of kids, dogs, or boxes.

JB :)

Definitely worth it to bring your own GPS - I have a Garmin and bought the Italy SD card on Amazon. Works 95% of the time. Some of the middle of nowhere places I have been though it has been stumped!

Too funny :). And we agree....sort of. On all of our driving throughout Italy (from the Swiss and French borders to southern Sicily, we have never seen a serious automobile accident...although we have seen a few motorcycle mishaps. As to rules, Italy does have some major rules the first of which is that one should ignore many rules :). In fact, if you are driving on a 2 lane country road with a double line in the middle...it is actually a 4 lane highway. You have the left and right lanes (like in most countries) but the two center lines are the motorcycle lanes (when they are not passing on the shoulder).

So when we drive in Italy we take particular care to watch the rearview and sideview mirrors for motorcycles (and bicycles). DW has long labeled me "insane" because I have long enjoyed driving in Italy. We do find the Italian drivers more predictable then those in New Jersey or Boston...but that is another story :).

As to rules, if you must have rules then we do recommend listening to John Bull and his rules :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hmm...reconsidering renting a car now. I may book just book a (not cruise ship) tour of Florence. Thanks for all the input!

Don't let us stop you. However driving in cities, the driver will not be able to see anything because you are concentrating on the road and everything going on around you. Outside cities it's not bad though. I have never seen a country where it seems like half the cars have dents in them! I have seen side view mirrors torn off - the person whose fault it was yelled something and drove away! Parking looks like a board game too. If you are renting a car to see the countryside that's great but if staying within Florence, I would reconsider and do it on your own and not on an overpriced ship tour.

Of course a lot depends on how long your ship is docked. It's a 80 minute train ride from Livorno to Florence. I still haven't seen a car actually stop at a stop sign......