Comfy Shoes for Cobblestones

SoccerMom#3

Now that my trip is 6 weeks away (but who's counting) and my temporary job is completed, it's time to do some serious planning :-)

What shoes would you recommend for all the walking we'll be doing? My feet are pretty good but they do get sore after a lot of walking. Also walking on cobble stones will not help my feet - lol I'd like something functional yet somewhat stylish. Comfort is more important than style though. Also I'd like to bring as few shoes as possible so I'd like shoes that are also good for when we are on the ship.

I want it all :-)

SoccerMom#3,

I swear by my New Balance 956 walking shoes. Wore them for a solid month last fall in Scotland, on all sorts of terrain. I added an airplus orthotic for my plantar fasciitis and couldn't have had more comfortable shoes. They look good with pants and capris.

I'm pretty casual most of the time so for another pair of shoes I usually bring a pair of black flats that look a little dressier to where when not out and about in port.

Cheers, Julia

You will most likely get many answers to your question. I think you have the right idea...comfort before style. Uneven cobblestones are hard on one's feet and of course you don't want to trip and fall. There is a lot of walking, much on uneven surfaces, while on the included tours so you want comfort for sure.

Find a shoe that works for you, make sure it is broken in if necessary, and ignore the posters who tell you that you must wear a certain style or color when in Europe. You will see a wide variety of styles......that is if you spend your time looking at people's feet instead of the sights!

On behalf of my favorite wife , for whom I can vouch as an expert witness on the topic of shoes, she recommends these for your consideration. Says they are the best balance of style and comfort ever.

http://www.zappos.com/skechers-performance-go-walk-3-navy-blue

I'd also recommend Skechers. Some of them have memory foam insoles, which are super comfy. They also sell socks (the kind you can't see above the shoes) that are padded.

I bought the skechers from the link above today... for the ship. I like to a take off my 'outside' walking shoes which will be a pair of Nike. In Germany, they have ecco walking sandals, excellent in warm weather. I have seen them in he USA, more expensive and very limited selection.

Definitely Sketchers Go Walks!!! Best shoes ever! I Bought my first pair several years ago before a trip that included climbing a rocky mountain and cobblestone streets and they were so comfortable I began wearing them every day. Can't recommend them enough!

I like my AVIA walking shoes because I have bad ankles and they provide support on cobblestones and uneven surfaces. I also pack a pair of soft black and white ballet slippers which weigh nothing in my suitcase and look better for the dining room. Every foot is different and it depends on the way a brand fits your foot. For instance, New Balance and Nike are very good shoes but they're cut a little too high for me and are very uncomfortable. Reebok and Avia are the only ones I have found cut low enough not to rub against my ankle bone. Try several on and when you find one you like buy two pair so when they go out of style you still have a pair left! BTW, I buy them at Boscov.com because the prices beat the outlets and they have free shipping.

You will most likely get many answers to your question. I think you have the right idea...comfort before style. Uneven cobblestones are hard on one's feet and of course you don't want to trip and fall. There is a lot of walking, much on uneven surfaces, while on the included tours so you want comfort for sure.

Find a shoe that works for you, make sure it is broken in if necessary, and ignore the posters who tell you that you must wear a certain style or color when in Europe. You will see a wide variety of styles......that is if you spend your time looking at people's feet instead of the sights!

Best advice here!

For me, AVIA and Sketchers wouldn't even come close for cobblestone. The thinner soles just don't work for me. I needed more support so I chose the brand Keen. Yep, ugly but I didn't care. For me it was comfort. They have several styles from hiking boots to sandals. Do yourself a favor and try on many brands and buy what's best for you.

Yeah, skechers don't work for me. Neither do Nike or Clarks, or many other brands that are often recommended. The advice to find a show brand that works for you, and is very supportive, is the best way to go about this. And break in well before the trip. We walk miles when we travel!

(for my December river cruise, I wore either Keen leather boots - thick rubber grippy sole with great support - or Haglofs black goretex walking shoes). My husband also wore either black Haglofs goretex walking shoes or orange Asolo goretex walking shoes. (we're big fans of goretex, mainly because we prefer to travel in shoulder seasons, which also tend to be rainy seasons:rolleyes:)

The third pair of shoes I brought on the December trip were black privo mary janes - I could actually do shore trips in them too, as they're super comfy, but not always warm enough for the December trip. Great for dinner and around the boat though.

"Nike Free" work great for me on cobblestones. They have a wide sole for balance, and they bend with the feet and ankles, which provides the dexterity needed to handle the rocking and rolling motion caused by walking on cobblestones. I love Skechers for running around on the ship, but they wouldn't work for me on cobblestones. For those who aren't familiar, these aren't regular Nike shoes, but Nike Free's, which are made specifically to follow the movement of your feet and ankles.

Thank you all so much for the shoe recommendations. This is so helpful. Also breaking shoes in ahead of time is a great idea. I like the idea of ballet slippers or mary janes for on the ship and for dinner.

I knew I could count on all of you for advice.

Elise

For me, AVIA and Sketchers wouldn't even come close for cobblestone. The thinner soles just don't work for me. I needed more support

I agree. I like good support and solid soles.

In warm weather, I wear my TAOS walking sandals.

In spring and fall, my Merrell clogs are my top choice for warmer days and my Naot ankle boots for cooler weather.

In winter, my go to footwear are my Sorel boots.

My husband calls them my old-lady shoes....

How is Mr. Wendy enjoying the couch these days? ;)

I will chime in and say that I like skechers too. Walked all around Paris last December in an old pair without problems. Got a new black leather pair for this upcoming year's travels:

shoes_ib91722.jpg?preset=details

They have plenty of padding and I can wear them during the day walking around town, and at night they look good enough to wear with most casual outfits. I can take a fancier pair of shoes for dressing up if need be, or if there's no need to dress up too fancy, they can be the only pair I take.

SoccerMum

Sorry, I didn't pick up which cruise you were going on.

We did Basel to Amsterdam and walking was reasonable ok but good shoe helped.

Then last year we did Prague to Budapest, walking was a lot harder and good shoes are a absolute must. My wife was only going to take Sketchers but I said I would take her good quality track shoes in my bag, lucky for her as she spend 90% in those shoe when walking, the cobblestone were the roughest we have come across in 6 trips to Europe. No problems at all with good supporting shoes. (Isn't there a saying the husbands know best!!!!) she did thank me many times.

Also it is a must to have them well walked in best you start on tour.

SoccerMum

Then last year we did Prague to Budapest, walking was a lot harder and good shoes are a absolute must. My wife was only going to take Sketchers but I said I would take her good quality track shoes in my bag, lucky for her as she spend 90% in those shoe when walking, the cobblestone were the roughest we have come across in 6 trips to Europe. No problems at all with good supporting shoes. (Isn't there a saying the husbands know best!!!!) she did thank me many times.

Thanks for the shoe info and the info about the walking during our cruise.

Please don't share your quote with my husband. I don't want him to think he has an ally in the husbands know best category :-)

SoccerMum

Peter, we're doing Amsterdam to Basel in August. Thanks for the update on the walking. It will be a relief to have "reasonable" walking after Budapest to Constanta last June!!

How is Mr. Wendy enjoying the couch these days? ;)

I will chime in and say that I like skechers too. Walked all around Paris last December in an old pair without problems. Got a new black leather pair for this upcoming year's travels:

shoes_ib91722.jpg?preset=details

They have plenty of padding and I can wear them during the day walking around town, and at night they look good enough to wear with most casual outfits. I can take a fancier pair of shoes for dressing up if need be, or if there's no need to dress up too fancy, they can be the only pair I take.

Do you recall the model name or number?

I never knew the name, but they are called the Men's Vassell shoes. I liked the black and tan color because we tend to base our wardrobes on black/dark colors when we travel. Easier to pack, easier to match, plus black clothing makes you look skinny in the pictures even after you've had a big meal on the ship!

Here's the link to the product page: Mens Vassel Black and Tan

And I forgot another cool thing about them in my last post - they came with two pairs of laces, one black that gives a nice all-black look to the shoe if you want to dress it up a little, and the contrasting tan laces that are shown in the picture - for a two-tone more casual effect. At least mine came with two pairs...

I got a ton of use out of my last pair which were brown - wore them all over in towns and doing light hiking - through Germany, Switzerland, Iceland, Turkey, Greece, and many other places... Finally before putting them out to pasture, I wore them in Quebec City this January when it was 20 below with tons of snow and slush on the ground. They worked great in all conditions. Hoping that the new ones get around as much as the old ones did!

Edited by jpalbny

Definitely Sketchers Go Walks!!! Best shoes ever! I Bought my first pair several years ago before a trip that included climbing a rocky mountain and cobblestone streets and they were so comfortable I began wearing them every day. Can't recommend them enough!

I love my skechers Go Walks! The memory foam in them are incredible! I have one pair, and I just bought another pair and a go walk sandal for my upcoming April River cruise.

I never knew the name, but they are called the Men's Vassell shoes. I liked the black and tan color because we tend to base our wardrobes on black/dark colors when we travel. Easier to pack, easier to match, plus black clothing makes you look skinny in the pictures even after you've had a big meal on the ship!

Here's the link to the product page: Mens Vassel Black and Tan

And I forgot another cool thing about them in my last post - they came with two pairs of laces, one black that gives a nice all-black look to the shoe if you want to dress it up a little, and the contrasting tan laces that are shown in the picture - for a two-tone more casual effect. At least mine came with two pairs...

I got a ton of use out of my last pair which were brown - wore them all over in towns and doing light hiking - through Germany, Switzerland, Iceland, Turkey, Greece, and many other places... Finally before putting them out to pasture, I wore them in Quebec City this January when it was 20 below with tons of snow and slush on the ground. They worked great in all conditions. Hoping that the new ones get around as much as the old ones did!

Great, thanks . . . And a link too!:)