When do you depart the last day?

Cruising on Celebrity Reflection in 2 weeks... This will be our 6th cruise, 3rd with Celebrity... I've done way more research this time and have found some pretty good ideas to make the cruise more enjoyable.

We always carry our luggage off and always leave really early. Our last cruise someone who was supposed to get priority disembarkation was in the same line we were in, trying to get off and was mad... Actually rude... And all of us around him heard him complain to those who were with him for 10-15 min. Very uncomfortable

So here's my question for you experienced travelers: we are on Aqua class (also a first for us), so we would be eligible for early disembarkation, we like carrying luggage off (but have never tried it the other way)...we're in no hurry to get off the ship (driving to West Coast of Florida to spend the night) What's our options and what do you all recommend?

If we are not in a hurry to catch a flight and have no where we have to be, we eat a leisurely breakfast in the buffet and leave near the end, usually around 9:00 - 9:30. We do not carry off our own luggage and wait until almost everyone has gone through customs.

If we are not in a hurry to catch a flight and have no where we have to be, we eat a leisurely breakfast in the buffet and leave near the end, usually around 9:00 - 9:30. We do not carry off our own luggage and wait until almost everyone has gone through customs.

We do exactly the same thing. Also,walk across the empty pool deck slowly, after a great breakfast. Get off ship about 9:30 in the last group. Your luggage will be easy to spot.

then I always catch an cab to the hotel. I no longer fly home the same day but always ease on into real life with a couple of more days of vacation on land.

we are on Aqua class (also a first for us), so we would be eligible for early disembarkation, we like carrying luggage off (but have never tried it the other way)...we're in no hurry to get off the ship (driving to West Coast of Florida to spend the night) What's our options and what do you all recommend?

FYI, Any passenger in any cabin class is eligible to walk off early. You just have to be able to handle your own bags.

Some (on cc) will point out if you are an official "early disembarker" (is that a word?) that you should actually get off the ship during the time you are assigned, I'm not sure I would be that worried about not following the time slot, but I have never stayed on board to see if late self disembarkers actually cause as much problems as some suggest.

FYI, Any passenger in any cabin class is eligible to walk off early. You just have to be able to handle your own bags.

Some (on cc) will point out if you are an official "early disembarker" (is that a word?) that you should actually get off the ship during the time you are assigned, I'm not sure I would be that worried about not following the time slot, but I have never stayed on board to see if late self disembarkers actually cause as much problems as some suggest.

What trouble? We have also disembarked late with luggage in hand and never had a problem and are not aware of causing trouble. :confused:

I think that those that get off early, when they have no place to go, are the ones causing a back-up. Stay on the ship and enjoy until you are kicked off! :D

Due to increasing back ups and delays at disembarkation, we now try to be in the first walk off group....first bunch to clear customs and ready to go to the airport or to our car.Worked well for Reflection and Connie and we will do the same for Equinox and Infinity.

Although we book AQ, we eat at the buffet last day...Waiting on line requires patience but once the ship is cleared it moves quickly....the walk off group is growing! Cranky folks are to be ignored!

If we get luggage valet to the airport we'll do that too and walk off.

What trouble? We have also disembarked late with luggage in hand and never had a problem and are not aware of causing trouble. :confused:

I think that those that get off early, when they have no place to go, are the ones causing a back-up. Stay on the ship and enjoy until you are kicked off! :D

Just to be clear...I am not saying "trouble"...I am just repeating what I have read on this board.

I think the main "complaint" is the elevators and the luggage that the "self disembarkers" are toting around and the issues that go along with the masses of people using those elevators.

What Ken said. We're in no hurry to leave the ship. We often sit around playing cards until we realize we're in the way. We don't want to impede progress so there's that fine line...

Tom

We also wait until 9:00 - 9:30. We usually eat breakfast in the MDR as we wait to leave.

That's really true. People dragging stuff around on the disembarkation morning is really annoying and cumbersome. I know that some have to do this because they have early flights and need to get off quickly, but they are usually gone pretty quickly. Others haul a bunch of stuff to the lounges with them and then through the lines to get off the ship.

It's an aside, but I also don't pack on water or wine or other stuff because I hate having to carry it around until our room is available and I think it's unfair to make the cabin stewards have to protect and deliver whole cases of water to rooms. It's just way too much trouble. Two bottles of wine in a backpack get mighty heavy after 2 or 3 hours of walking around.

It's becoming annoying on airplane's too that everyone wants to carry so much stuff on because they don't want to pay the $25-$35 to check a suitcase. Then they wait until the last minute to board and get bent because the overhead space is all used up.

I think the airlines should just charge more for the flight and go back to the policy of allowing people at least one bag to check. I've heard even Jet Blue (one of the hold outs along with SouthWest is going to start charging for luggage).

It also makes getting through the security lines a bigger pain.

We just consider the luggage costs part of the costs of flying.

Tom

I think the main "complaint" is the elevators and the luggage that the "self disembarkers" are toting around and the issues that go along with the masses of people using those elevators.

You have the option of self disembarkation or asking for a time slot.

personally I would do the self disembarkation if possible because:

it is really ends up being easier.

You will always have your luggage with you and won't qhve to put it out the night before.

You won't have to do a search for it in the terminal.

You will be one of the first off the ship and there shouldn't be a back up to get thru customs.

Blu will be open early enough to have a leisurely breakfast without rushing. They do not make muesli on the last day so don't count on that.

Unless you need to go back to the cabin you should take your luggage with you to avoid having to go back up to get it and then fight for a elevator to go back down. There will be a place to put it during breakfast. Then when leaving you will see all of those in line to get into the overcrowded designated waiting lounge for CC, AQ, elites and above.

Sitting around waiting for you group number to be called is rather boring and can be miserable. All the areas are jammed packed and sometimes it is difficult to find a place to sit. When you number is called it is a madhouse of everyone rushing to get in line and then there is the holdup of someone that is trying to get off before their number is called.

It is best to get off asap.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

How you make your own disembarkation day is entirely up to you.

#1 don't book an early flight. My advise is to enjoy the last day and not fall into the OMG I've gotta get off "Right Now" trap!!! :eek: :eek:

#2 leave your luggage to the crew, I mean you paid for the crew to handle your luggage so why be a humper and do it yourself :confused: Your still on vacation.

#3 order the luggage valet program, if the ship offers it don't pass on this, worth every penny. ;)

#4 relax and try not to laugh too loud at the stressed out. :cool:

Just to be clear...I am not saying "trouble"...I am just repeating what I have read on this board.

That's really true. People dragging stuff around on the disembarkation morning is really annoying and cumbersome. I know that some have to do this because they have early flights and need to get off quickly, but they are usually gone pretty quickly. Others haul a bunch of stuff to the lounges with them and then through the lines to get off the ship.

;)

We do not drag our luggage all over the ship.

You can do self disembark at any port. AS long as you can and want to carry off your own luggage.

The last time we were in San Diego (4 years ago)the port authorities did not allow it. My understanding is, it not everywhere that allows it.

I understand that a few guests need self disembark to catch a flight etc., but for the majority, using the "regular" system just helps the overall disembark.

We were on a NCL once where the CD pushed the idea of self-disembark all week, so we went along with that. We ended up, with luggage, in a line that stretched the length of the ship - it took hours.

It's an aside, but I also don't pack on water or wine or other stuff because I hate having to carry it around until our room is available and I think it's unfair to make the cabin stewards have to protect and deliver whole cases of water to rooms. It's just way too much trouble. Two bottles of wine in a backpack get mighty heavy after 2 or 3 hours of walking around.

It's becoming annoying on airplane's too that everyone wants to carry so much stuff on because they don't want to pay the $25-$35 to check a suitcase. Then they wait until the last minute to board and get bent because the overhead space is all used up.

I think the airlines should just charge more for the flight and go back to the policy of allowing people at least one bag to check. I've heard even Jet Blue (one of the hold outs along with SouthWest is going to start charging for luggage).

It also makes getting through the security lines a bigger pain.

We just consider the luggage costs part of the costs of flying.

Tom

Agreed. I especially like to hear people complain about taking formal clothes because it will cost an additional $25 when they spent $3000 or more for a cruise. Also, why do people have to leave their staterooms at 7 am and take 3 carryons to breakfast. Makes getting an elevator and seating in the buffet so much more difficult. Go to breakfast and then get your luggage.

Unless you need to go back to the cabin you should take your luggage with you to avoid having to go back up to get it and then fight for a elevator to go back down. There will be a place to put it during breakfast. Then when leaving you will see all of those in line to get into the overcrowded designated waiting lounge for CC, AQ, elites and above.

Now imagine if 3000 people all take their luggage to breakfast!

I'll stay till the ask me to leave. 9:00 to 9:30. You paid for a relaxing cruise experience, stay as long as you can and enjoy it. Why be rushed to leave, their are generally later flights back home. Why make your last day rushed and hectic.

It depends on the circumstances.

We self-disembark when we need to catch an early flight or early private excursion.

If we have a late flight or no flight to catch at all, we wait to be last off, after the crowds have cleared out, so we find ourselves a quiet, out-of-the-way place to hang out, usually on an upper deck.

If we are catching a flight between 11 and 2, we just follow the regular procedure.

Luggage valet can be great when it works well, but can be a horror story when it doesn't and your bags don't show up as expected.

Depends where the cruise is disembarking and our plans for the day. Local cruise (Sydney) we just leave leisurely at 8.30-9am. If overseas, the transport or plans for the day take control and we are much more likely to walk off with our bags.:D