Serenade Rescues Eight Cubans - Bad Attude from Some Passengers!

Just off Serenade where earlier in the week the ship was able to rescue eight Cubans who were adrift at sea in a makeshift boat on styrofoam pontoons. The waters were rough and I have to hand it to those in the rescue boat for their excellent work.

The captain announced that the boat had been in the water for ten days and they probably would have perished if not rescued when they were.

While most folks onboard were happy over the rescue a few displayed no human compassion. One woman was vocal in saying they should have been left (to obviously perish). Have we become that uncaring? Kudos to the staff of Serenade for their skillful rescue!

There's some in every crowd. If a ship is a couple of hours late to a port because a sick child needs to be airlifted to a hospital, you'll hear these same self-centered idiots whining about it rather than being grateful a life was saved. Pathetic.

Perhaps the Captan should have switched the Cubans with the complainers and left them on the raft. I can only imagine what it would take for those individuals to risk their lives to escape. I can only imagine how sad the whiners lives are to complain that their sea day was delayed, which really doesn't change their day at all. It just shows you how little compassion some people have.

Just off Serenade where earlier in the week the ship was able to rescue eight Cubans who were adrift at sea in a makeshift boat on styrofoam pontoons. The waters were rough and I have to hand it to those in the rescue boat for their excellent work.

The captain announced that the boat had been in the water for ten days and they probably would have perished if not rescued when they were.

You should have ended your post right there. You're right, it is great that Serenade was there to save their lives.

That being said, since you made your opinion so clear, it should be said that there is a legal way of immigrating to the U.S. that (although blatantly disregarded at the cost of Americans) is more respectable than not only risking your own life, but risking the lives of those rescuing you when things go wrong.

Hopefully they were brought back to good health and sent back on their way at their own expense (oh wait, the taxpayers will pay for that, too).

Edited by kruzerci

You should have ended your post right there. You're right, it is great that Serenade was there to save their lives.

That being said, since you made your opinion so clear, it should be said that there is a legal way of immigrating to the U.S. that (although blatantly disregarded at the cost of Americans) is more respectable than not only risking your own life, but risking the lives of those rescuing you when things go wrong.

Hopefully they were brought back to good health and sent back on their way at their own expense (oh wait, the taxpayers will pay for that, too).

Yep, bad attitude.............

Good for the captain and crew for their hard efforts to save a life. How desperate people have to feel to take that kinda risk to improve or save their own life. Sight upwards from their barely floating raft must have been a desperate heart breaking sick to their stomach feeling not knowing if the ship would stop and help. Right way or wrong way to enter this country goes without saying. They are human and my prayers go out to them.

Tell me about the legal way to immigrate from Cuba to United States.? Too bad we didn't close the board before people like you showed up. Unless you are Native American everyone of us is here due to somebody who immigrated to give the family a better life

I bet you would've been one of the ones whining about the inconvenience to your cruise

Tell me about the legal way to immigrate from Cuba to United States.? Too bad we didn't close the board before people like you showed up. Unless you are Native American everyone of us is here due to somebody who immigrated to give the family a better life.

You wrote exactly what I would have stated. That is why my grandparents immigrated to Canada after WW2.

Now as for Kruzerci's comment about money spent sending them back; just think about the millions if not billions the government spends monitoring the Mexican, Canadian and costal boarders annually. Compare that budget to a weekly or monthly government flight to Cuba to return the boat people and that budget line will be peanuts.

I guess they would rather have the captain tell the guests to look off the port side for a "rare spotted Carribean whale" while on the starboard side a few people stuck on a floating oil can raft get left behind, perhaps to die. I can just see it now on that creepy marine lawyer's website, "RC ignores Marine Law to safe the Feds a few Dollars".

Enforcing laws come with costs. The Maine law says you are to rescue, and following that is the government law, that they must be returned. To save the dollars one of these laws will need to be withdrawn, I can't see any politician voting against either of these laws an expect to keep their livelihood at the trough.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Tell me about the legal way to immigrate from Cuba to United States.? Too bad we didn't close the board before people like you showed up. Unless you are Native American everyone of us is here due to somebody who immigrated to give the family a better life

I bet you would've been one of the ones whining about the inconvenience to your cruise

Thank you. Well said!

While most folks onboard were happy over the rescue a few displayed no human compassion. One woman was vocal in saying they should have been left (to obviously perish). Have we become that uncaring? Kudos to the staff of Serenade for their skillful rescue!

you want to emigrate to my country? then DO SO LEGALLY!

plenty of ways:

be sponsored by a parent child or sibling who is already here and a citizen,

claim political asylum/refugee status

get a work visa

get a student visa.

and yes I am a third Generation American. but MY ancestors DID THINGS THE RIGHT WAY. they didn't try and sneak into the country. they went through proper channels and came prepared with skills and enough money saved up to get them started.

Yes my grandparents (and millions of others ) came to this country , but through the proper channels. They had NOTHING and worked for every crumb they ate and every stitch they had on their backs . Never took 2 cents they didn't work for. And one of their proudest moments was when they learned English

plenty of ways:

get a work visa

get a student visa.

and yes I am a third Generation American. but MY ancestors DID THINGS THE RIGHT WAY. they didn't try and sneak into the country. they went through proper channels and came prepared with skills and enough money saved up to get them started.

We are talking about Cuba here, not other countries. Sometimes folks post and are not posting from a viewpoint of knowledge.

plenty of ways:

get a work visa

get a student visa.

Perhaps these Cubans were in the process of attempting your second option (claim political asylum/refugee status)? :confused:

There really IS only one legal way to immigrate to the US from Cuba (if you live in Cuba) -- get or make a boat and take the dangerous 90 mile risk to get here. Not sure how much you actually know about Cuba but leaving at all let alone "immigrating" is somewhat difficult if you are Cuban.

"Disregard of costs to an American" ??? Are you nuts?? Escaping dictatorship and your personal concern is what it costs us???

Perhaps you should change your screen name from kruzerci to "Narcissus"

you want to emigrate to my country? then DO SO LEGALLY!

But if someone comes legally, they will lose out on free health care, free college tuition, income tax refunds, etc.:rolleyes:

plenty of ways:

get a work visa

get a student visa.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but I think it would be very hard for a Cuban to be able to get a student or work visa. Also, if I'm not wrong it is our government that is letting them in the US.

You wrote exactly what I would have stated. That is why my grandparents immigrated to Canada after WW2.

Now as for Kruzerci's comment about money spent sending them back; just think about the millions if not billions the government spends monitoring the Mexican, Canadian and costal boarders annually. Compare that budget to a weekly or monthly government flight to Cuba to return the boat people and that budget line will be peanuts.

I guess they would rather have the captain tell the guests to look off the port side for a "rare spotted Carribean whale" while on the starboard side a few people stuck on a floating oil can raft get left behind, perhaps to die. I can just see it now on that creepy marine lawyer's website, "RC ignores Marine Law to safe the Feds a few Dollars".

Enforcing laws come with costs. The Maine law says you are to rescue, and following that is the government law, that they must be returned. To save the dollars one of these laws will need to be withdrawn, I can't see any politician voting against either of these laws an expect to keep their livelihood at the trough.

I'm not even sure that they will be returned. Unless policy is different with a cruise ship rescue, I though current Cuban policy in the U.S. was "wet foot dry foot". So if picked up by coast guard, they are returned but if they "touch" dry land they get to stay. So which applies to the cruise ship. Are they taken off before it returns to U.S. soil?