Is this a change to Sabatini's?

Colfireman

I received a e-mail earlier today regarding my upcoming trip. In there it shows Sabatini's having a new A la carte menu. Has anyone experienced this recently? Does anyone have a copy of the new menu? Website still shows a fixed price for the dinner.

Greg

It is still a fixed $25. It's just that instead of putting a little bit of everything on your plate before the main course arrives, you order an appetizer, soup, pasta, main course, etc., just like you would in Crown Grill or the MDR. We were there a week and a half ago and it was 6 years to the day since we had been there last. We like it much better now.

I received a e-mail earlier today regarding my upcoming trip. In there it shows Sabatini's having a new A la carte menu. Has anyone experienced this recently? Does anyone have a copy of the new menu? Website still shows a fixed price for the dinner.

Greg

Here's a link to Sabatini's info including to the menus:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/specialty_restaurants/sabatinis/

There have been some changes in the entrees & instead of a pasta of the day there are 3 choices available which I prefer.

My wife likes this pasta:

Spaghetti allo Scoglio

langostino, diver scallops, tiger shrimp, vongole and black mussels in cherry tomato sauce

I prefer this one:

Penne con Brasato di Manzo

braised short rib over penne, grana padano

And the 3rd choice:

Manicotti alla Sorrentina

spinach, ricotta & fontina cheese roulade on tomato coulis

Edited by Astro Flyer

Order the manicotti. Trust me. ;):D

Bah. I tend not to order Italian food as I prefer the manicotti that I make at home. I like my pasta sauces better then what I have had in restaurants. The manicotti may be excellent in Sabatini's but I will likely never know. I am glad other people can have it as making manicotti is a bit of a pain in the butt and most people won't make it at home. Of course most people don't seem to cook much these days and rely on bottled sauces (bleh) and such. Making pasta sauce is a joy. You can make it just the way you like.

Bah. I tend not to order Italian food as I prefer the manicotti that I make at home. I like my pasta sauces better then what I have had in restaurants. The manicotti may be excellent in Sabatini's but I will likely never know. I am glad other people can have it as making manicotti is a bit of a pain in the butt and most people won't make it at home. Of course most people don't seem to cook much these days and rely on bottled sauces (bleh) and such. Making pasta sauce is a joy. You can make it just the way you like.

It's not a preformed tube they use. It's a rolled pasta tube-like thing with the most delicious filling. The sauce is very good, too. I won't recommend anything else in Sabatini's since nothing else was as outstanding as the manacotti. I would dis-recommend the lobster three ways.

I've pretty much always enjoyed the meals at Sabatini's, more so than those I've eaten at the Crown Grill.

They'll sometimes start me off with a plate of this...

11162753616_53b3f4fe6c_c.jpg

...and then I had the Burratta alla Panna...

11162753636_e19a809696_c.jpg

The twice baked artichoke was also delicious...

11300776143_f0ed8fc8e2_c.jpg

...as was the house pasta they served that night...

11300776153_2b40a321a6_c.jpg

...and the spaghetti carbonara...

11162754396_3f933202ac_c.jpg

...the shrimp was fantastic....

11300693885_f016ca6b87_c.jpg

But leave a little room for a little desert!

Edited by dmwnc1959

I would dis-recommend the lobster three ways.

I'll second that. It was my first meal ever in a Sabatini's and not very good. I promised that the next time I'd get something different, and have since returned time and time again as a satisfied customer.

:D

I've pretty much always enjoyed the meals at Sabatini's, more so than those I've eaten at the Crown Grill.

When were you able to get those pastas? I haven't loved any of the three pastas that are now standard and love the looks of the two you shared.

When were you able to get those pastas? I haven't loved any of the three pastas that are now standard and love the looks of the two you shared.

When we had a child with us, they offered spaghetti with butter for her. We all tasted it and thought it was delicious. I think they had browned the butter. Anyway, I think it's possible to ask for something else than what's on the menu. Couldn't hurt to ask.

All of those pictures were taken during the two times I ate at Sabatini's on Royal Princess during my B2B Dec. 1-15, 2013. The pastas you see were the 'pasta of the day', sort of an 'appetizer' between the actual appetizer and the main course.

All of those pictures were taken during the two times I ate at Sabatini's on Royal Princess during my B2B Dec. 1-15, 2013. The pastas you see were the 'pasta of the day', sort of an 'appetizer' between the actual appetizer and the main course.

I enjoyed the Petto di Pollo con Asiago e Pomodorini, Salsa al Marsala entree and glad they kept the Burrata alla Panna con Carpaccio di Pomodori and also the Calamari Fritti. Originally they included a pizza course and there are still plenty of dessert options. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

It is still a fixed $25. It's just that instead of putting a little bit of everything on your plate before the main course arrives, you order an appetizer, soup, pasta, main course, etc., just like you would in Crown Grill or the MDR. We were there a week and a half ago and it was 6 years to the day since we had been there last. We like it much better now.

As do I:). I remember experiencing it on our first Princess cruise in 2008. It took me almost a full day to recover from how full I felt when the meal was over.....

Bob

11162753616_53b3f4fe6c_c.jpg

...and then I had the Burratta alla Panna...

11162753636_e19a809696_c.jpg

The twice baked artichoke was also delicious...

11300776143_f0ed8fc8e2_c.jpg

...as was the house pasta they served that night...

11300776153_2b40a321a6_c.jpg

...and the spaghetti carbonara...

11162754396_3f933202ac_c.jpg

...the shrimp was fantastic....

11300693885_f016ca6b87_c.jpg

No fair Dave. Your pictures make me want to be on a Princess ship right now.....

Bob

No fair Dave. Your pictures make me want to be on a Princess ship right now.....

Bob

All in good time, my friend, all in good time...;)

For me this interval between sailings will have been almost two years, so the anticipation only makes it worse!

It's not a preformed tube they use. It's a rolled pasta tube-like thing with the most delicious filling. The sauce is very good, too. I won't recommend anything else in Sabatini's since nothing else was as outstanding as the manacotti. I would dis-recommend the lobster three ways.

The lobster three ways was the worst meal I have had on a cruise...bar none. The lobster was mushy and had a very strange flavor.

We tried Sabatini's and the Crown Grill on our December cruise on the CB. It was the first time we had eaten at Sabatini's in over a decade and our first time at the Crown Grill. I liked the Crown Grill better.

Yes, I used to like the "pasta of the day" better. Now, instead of that, they have three standard menu items that you choose from as the pasta course. I'm not as thrilled with those. I'd love to have those pastas in your pictures.

We've only done Sabatini's the "new way" so don't have the "old way" experience to compare it to. But we like the "new way" just fine. Will always do Sabatini's and Crown/Sterling every time.

P.S. We also loved Pinnacle (HAL's Crown Grill).

And with our upcoming 3rd consecutive Princess cruise in a full suite we also love the breakfast at Sabatini's perk. It is one of our favorite cruise things and such a peaceful and wonderful way to start each cruise day.