No WOW factor found

Just got off our first Royal "Oasis of the Seas" ship. We have traveled previously with Carnival 6 times and heard good things about RC. I've always wanted to experience a RC and loved the layout of the Oasis as we we're taking our 11 year old daughter with us. Unfortunately, the only WOW was the size of the ship. Central Park was beautiful and we enjoyed breakfast a few times at the Park Cafe. As for the My Time Dining at Silk; it lacked service and quality of food. We ate there 3 times during dinner hours and after "waiting and wondering around the dining room by the staff looking for a table" then to only be seated at a wall facing table both times with what I would compare to as inadequate service and food selection compared to our previous "Carnival" experiences. The balcony room for the 3 of us was ok. The sleeper hidabed our daughter slept on nightly was in need of a bad cleaning. Nightly our stateroom had a "noise" coming from the ceiling above our bed and made sleeping very difficult. On a positive note all the meals we had via reservations and "paid additional money" were pretty good. Special consideration being made to our waiter Tom Edison who made our dining experience at Chops a positive one. The kids Adventure Club was also a hot spot for our 11 year old who enjoyed a few hours doing some extra activities away from us. The adults only solarium is also beautiful and if you can get there early enough makes for a nice get away from the rest of the hoopla. All in all I would give it a 5 out of 10. Was expecting better in my "book of expectations" for the additional expense. We are not "picky" people and simply looked to Royal Caribbean for a better aka more "Royal" vacation. No WOW found here unless you look at our checkout bill when exiting the ship. My opinion.

I'm a Diamond Plus RCI cruiser and I agree with you. My upcoming cruise on the Freedom will most likely be my last RCI cruise. I hated the Oasis and the Allure! Not a Carnival person, but will def. look at changing cruise lines. RCI service, food, and overall appearance has plummeted in the last 1-2 years. NO WOW left.

I do think carnival has slightly better food then rccl, but m favorite food has been on Celebrity. I love apple pie and they have apple pie every night at desert and the solstice had hard dipped ice cream in their "windjammer" every day so that was also very good.

hmm, sorry you didn't have a better time. Our previous 4 cruises have b een with carnival as well. We always found the food, the rooms, and over all everything to be pretty nice. We almost always enjoy the dining room...

So this, along with a lot of posts these last couple weeks really holding RCI up for their performance leaves me wondering a bit what our cruise will be like on the enchantment in May....we're not really all that picky either, but do expect our money to work for us....

So we'll see. I'll do my best to go at it with an open mind. If the dining room experience is at least average, they manage to have shrimps, and let me have 2 steaks at dinner if I ask, then I'll be fine :D

Just got off our first Royal "Oasis of the Seas" ship. We have traveled previously with Carnival 6 times and heard good things about RC. I've always wanted to experience a RC and loved the layout of the Oasis as we we're taking our 11 year old daughter with us. Unfortunately, the only WOW was the size of the ship. Central Park was beautiful and we enjoyed breakfast a few times at the Park Cafe. As for the My Time Dining at Silk; it lacked service and quality of food. We ate there 3 times during dinner hours and after "waiting and wondering around the dining room by the staff looking for a table" then to only be seated at a wall facing table both times with what I would compare to as inadequate service and food selection compared to our previous "Carnival" experiences. The balcony room for the 3 of us was ok. The sleeper hidabed our daughter slept on nightly was in need of a bad cleaning. Nightly our stateroom had a "noise" coming from the ceiling above our bed and made sleeping very difficult. On a positive note all the meals we had via reservations and "paid additional money" were pretty good. Special consideration being made to our waiter Tom Edison who made our dining experience at Chops a positive one. The kids Adventure Club was also a hot spot for our 11 year old who enjoyed a few hours doing some extra activities away from us. The adults only solarium is also beautiful and if you can get there early enough makes for a nice get away from the rest of the hoopla. All in all I would give it a 5 out of 10. Was expecting better in my "book of expectations" for the additional expense. We are not "picky" people and simply looked to Royal Caribbean for a better aka more "Royal" vacation. No WOW found here unless you look at our checkout bill when exiting the ship. My opinion.

If you are still up for royal I would try an explorer class ship or a freedom class ship. I also think that the large ships loose some of their more homey feelings like mass producing dinners and such. I love grandeur which is one of the smallest royal has left and when i missed my cruise in feb on quantum a brand new ship i was not disappointed. now if i miss grandeur i will be disappointed.

If you are still up for royal I would try an explorer class ship or a freedom class ship. I also think that the large ships loose some of their more homey feelings like mass producing dinners and such. I love grandeur which is one of the smallest royal has left and when i missed my cruise in feb on quantum a brand new ship i was not disappointed. now if i miss grandeur i will be disappointed.

I agree with this. If the Allure had been my first ever RCI cruise, I might not be back either. Thankfully I've had decent experiences on the smaller ships, especially the Serenade and Monarch (too bad she's gone). I think the quality of service is better on the smaller ships, jmho

I have to agree...the HUGE ships do seem to lack "personality" that the smaller (and they're not small, by any means!) ships have!

The cutbacks by most cruise lines are really affecting the whole experience. New cruisers don't notice it, or know any better, but those of us who have cruised for the last 20 years certainly notice the decline!

Funny, I feel the same way about Carnival.

leisures-and-sports-075.gif Go ahead I couldn't care less...but we love all the RCCL ships and have had WOWs on every one of the 30 cruises we've done. Allure was fabulous in our opinion. We will cruise her again someday.

We have had better food on Celebrity, but it sounds like you never ate in the MDR but only the cafe and specialties....

Try the Breakaway, hear she is a nice ship.

Edited by BecciBoo

We have had better food on Celebrity, but it sounds like you never ate in the MDR but only the cafe and specialties....

Did you miss the part where OP said they ate 3 times in Silk (the MTD level of Oasis MDR)?

Edited to add: perhaps you thought silk was a specialty, I can see that could be confusing as it's a DD thing not standard to other ships.

Edited by BekkaW

Wow, I am the pickiest person, I like really good food ( I am a food snob) and I want good service and I have to say we have never had bad food on RCCI or bad service either. Now and then I might get a thing I am not crazy about but they go to the moon and back to make me happy. I have tried Princess, great itinerary, nice ship, food not so good though. Trying Celebrity next year for Panama Canal. I have been on the Allure twice and Oasis and we had a great time and the Allure is my favorite. The chefs table on Oasis was amazing. One thing I never do is eat at the WindJammer on any of the cruise ships. I call it the trough and it's not for me the food snob, LOL

Our last 2 cruises have been on Carnival Dream which is one of their largest ships. I definitely liked the food better (especially the burgers), but I found that there just isn't as much to do compared to Royal's large ships. This is realized by day 4 or 5. Plus the décor was horrendous compared to Royal's (what's with the orange dining room?). Not a deal breaker by no means, but just not the same "feel" as what we're used to.

Sorry to hear it didn't meet your expectations, but maybe the Oasis was too big a bite to start with. I agree with trying to downsize a bit.

Edited by sailor05

Ditto

After sailing different cruise ships on RCI

Started with Mariner (1x), Freedom (2x), and then Allure (2x).

I will admit at first I was a little over whelmed with Allure, but I now know I cannot go back to the Freedom of the Seas.

Love the size, the opportunities.

I guess if someone twisted my arm I would gp back to Freedom , but Love the Oasis class now.

Safe travels.

We tryed Oasis last August and we decided it wasn't for us either. Loved the other ships we've been on but Oasis just didn't do it for us. Too big for the crew to give the personal service they give on other ships. Maybe it's different in say February or March as opposed to summer when families take over. We didn't go hungry ,or hate the cruise...just wouldn't do that class again.

I have to agree...the HUGE ships do seem to lack "personality" that the smaller (and they're not small, by any means!) ships have!

The cutbacks by most cruise lines are really affecting the whole experience. New cruisers don't notice it, or know any better, but those of us who have cruised for the last 20 years certainly notice the decline!

Which one were you on, cb? Oasis or Allure? Or both?

You never told us about those experiences. Please share.

:)

we are only Diamond with RCL but took our first Oasis cruise in Jan. 2015. At first we didn't care for it, but as the week went on we really started to enjoy it more. On day 1 DW said never again, on day 6 we booked the Oasis again for next year!! So much to do, food was fine, some nights it was excellent, but I agree the service in the dinning room was questionable as our waiters didn't speak very good english but they still served everything just fine (they both just came on after dry dock). We'll see have a Jewel cruise before our next Oasis cruise. :D

Different strokes for different folks! I was on the Oasis (my third cruise) last February with my mom and two cousins. We just had the best time! I thought the Oasis was just awesome in every way!! I loved all the neighborhoods, different food choices, the endless choices of things to do and I thought the nightly entertainment was just top notch! Our only disappointment the whole week was when we had to get off!! I'm planning my next cruise for next year on the Liberty. I'm worried about going back down to a smaller ship! I just thought Oasis was incredible! But as I said...to each is own!

Hi. Please don't rule out RCCL based on your Oasis cruise. Celebrity is our favorite cruise line but we have had many great cruises on RCCL and Freedom is our favorite RCCL ship.

If our cruise on Allure was our first experience on RCCL we probably would have never cruised with them again. It was our worst cruise experience ever. This ship was WAY too big, unfriendly staff, tiny cabin bathrooms and just lost the "being at sea" feeling we enjoy.

Just my 2 cents and the Royal cheerleaders will disagree BUT overall RCCL has lost the WOW feeling. We have a cruise booked in May on Freedom but after this cruise will most likely be looking at other cruise lines. We are Diamond on RCCL but RCCL no longer cares about their loyal cruisers and is directing their marketing to the new cruisers.

I'm sorry but jacking up drink prices 40% is just rediculous!

So OP, you didn't find the Aqua Theater and the shows there to be impressive? Have you ever seen shows like that on any other ship that you have been on? The Ice show made no impression on you? Did the sand artist perform during the ice show? If so not impacted by it?

Hi. Please don't rule out RCCL based on your Oasis cruise. Celebrity is our favorite cruise line but we have had many great cruises on RCCL and Freedom is our favorite RCCL ship.

If our cruise on Allure was our first experience on RCCL we probably would have never cruised with them again. It was our worst cruise experience ever. This ship was WAY too big, unfriendly staff, tiny cabin bathrooms and just lost the "being at sea" feeling we enjoy.

Just my 2 cents and the Royal cheerleaders will disagree BUT overall RCCL has lost the WOW feeling. We have a cruise booked in May on Freedom but after this cruise will most likely be looking at other cruise lines. We are Diamond on RCCL but RCCL no longer cares about their loyal cruisers and is directing their marketing to the new cruisers.

I'm sorry but jacking up drink prices 40% is just rediculous!

Just because someone enjoys the Oasis/Allure experience it makes them an RCI cheerleader?