Am I the only one?

John and I cruise with both RCCL and Celebrity. Lately we have been able to get much better deals with Celebrity including FREE drink packages, OBC and paid gratuities. We cruise with RCCL when Celebrity's ships are in Europe and not cruising the Caribbean when we want to cruise. With the new HUGE increase in alcohol prices I think we are going to start exploring other cruise lines for our "non Celebrity" cruises.

I don't have a problem with them increasing the gratuity from 15% to 18% but raising drink prices 40% is a little much. We enjoy a couple of drinks a day but the drink packages wouldn't be worth it to us if we had to pay for them. Just wondering if the increase in prices will affect how many alcoholic beverages passengers purchase during their cruise? I know we will be utilizing the Diamond event each evening more than we normally do. Wanda

Just wondering if the increase in prices will affect how many alcoholic beverages passengers purchase during their cruise?

It most certainly will for me. Im good for two to three frozen drinks a day generally. I use to pay 7-8 dolars plus 15% if memory serves me correctly. Now I will pay 10 - 12 dollars plus 18%.

Its not that I dont have the money and I realize on a 7 night cruise, thats "only" about 100.00 more for the week. Its just I cannot fathom the thought of paying for +/- 14.00 for ONE drink no matter WHERE I am.

Ill get my drink on in port if I decide I want to drink a lot one day. Much cheaper that way.

John and I cruise with both RCCL and Celebrity. Lately we have been able to get much better deals with Celebrity including FREE drink packages, OBC and paid gratuities. We cruise with RCCL when Celebrity's ships are in Europe and not cruising the Caribbean when we want to cruise. With the new HUGE increase in alcohol prices I think we are going to start exploring other cruise lines for our "non Celebrity" cruises.

I don't have a problem with them increasing the gratuity from 15% to 18% but raising drink prices 40% is a little much. We enjoy a couple of drinks a day but the drink packages wouldn't be worth it to us if we had to pay for them. Just wondering if the increase in prices will affect how many alcoholic beverages passengers purchase during their cruise? I know we will be utilizing the Diamond event each evening more than we normally do. Wanda

Absolutely will for us. We don't drink enough to make the packages reasonable. Maybe 4 drinks a day. Not this cruise. Now maybe 2.

Absolutely not the only one. We have cruised Oasis and Allure and not interested in Harmony or Anthem unless a great deal is found (and I am assuming this will not happen). My husband and I felt like a herd of cattle on these ships. We are tiring of the entertainment and it needs shaken up a bit. Many times we have sat in a show and looked each other and laughed because we have seen the same act or comedian on a different ship. We are particularly tired of the nickle and diming, coupled with loss of crown and anchor benefits. For instance, we have to now choose between OBC and a balcony discount when booking. Guess what? The new cruiser is receiving the same deal as we are financially! We love the Celebrity product and presentation. It is just unfortunate that they have so many of their ships overseas when we are able to cruise! We are now saying that Celebrity is our first choice and RCCL has to prove themselves to come out ahead in this race.

I am like many other cruisers on this forum. I have been SO happy with RCCL since the 1990's and it is almost like a mourning that the product we once knew and loved is slowly leaving us.

The drink packages are becoming very popular. I wonder if increasing the individual drink prices is a way to encourage people to buy the packages?

Of course it is. Read somewhere just a few days ago on here that the bartenders are even admitting it.

They will not get me to buy a drink package unless they want to price the Ultimate package down around where the Replenish package is :p

We just returned from the Grandeur, 3/03-13.

I'm no longer a drinker, but my husband enjoys. Bloody Mary's and beers on a cruise.

He ordered his first (and only) BM. The bill was just under $15.00.

I figure they gave him a premium vodka. WRONG! That was rail vodka. He was DONE with that ridiculousness!

Coors Lite is $7.00 a can. If I had my way there'd be none of that either.

RC is all about SELL, SELL, SELL.

We have a cruise already booked for next Oct., after that we are done with them for a while. They will have to offer a great itinerary for me to even consider them.

He ordered his first (and only) BM. The bill was just under $15.00.

I figure they gave him a premium vodka. WRONG! That was rail vodka. He was DONE with that ridiculousness!

Coors Lite is $7.00 a can. If I had my way there'd be none of that either.

Pathetic :(

Wow that is getting crazy. $7 for a coors light. May as well go to Yankee stadium and pay $10 or $11. Was something like that a few years back. At least I can smell the hot dogs in the air there.

Wow that is getting crazy. $7 for a coors light. May as well go to Yankee stadium and pay $10 or $11. Was something like that a few years back. At least I can smell the hot dogs in the air there.

The only thing good that comes from these ridiculous price hikes on drinks for my cruise is the fact that one of my best friends who is going on his first RCI cruise will likely not stay highly intoxicated the whole cruise and actually remember some of it. :D He is pretty much a tight wad and use to getting his bud light limes for around 1.50 - 2.00 at his local watering holes. I cant wait to see the :eek: when they tell him it will be 7 bucks for a beer :D

It most certainly will for me. Im good for two to three frozen drinks a day generally. I use to pay 7-8 dolars plus 15% if memory serves me correctly. Now I will pay 10 - 12 dollars plus 18%.

Its not that I dont have the money and I realize on a 7 night cruise, thats "only" about 100.00 more for the week. Its just I cannot fathom the thought of paying for +/- 14.00 for ONE drink no matter WHERE I am.

Ill get my drink on in port if I decide I want to drink a lot one day. Much cheaper that way.

I agree. We have always purchased 2-3 drinks per day. Now that we're Diamond on RCCL (and Elite on X), we'll use those perks and probably purchase no extra drinks at all:rolleyes: If the drinks were REASONABLE we might still purchase a couple during the day, but not at 12-14.00. Absurd. It would appear the new RCCL strategy is to over price the cruises and "give" the drink package to people. Whatever......... we have a reasonably priced cruise on RCCL from SJU next year and have cruised them for the past 10 years, but after that who knows............

Edited by bouhunter

It will certainly affect how many alcoholic drinks I purchase. I bought the Royal Replenish package for myself, the Select (beer and non-alcholic drinks) for my husband and soda packages for the kids. Although I bought the Royal Replenish, I probably would have bought an alcoholic beverage or two per day. Now that they raised the prices to basically $14 per drink including tip, I won't be doing that. I'll be tea-totaling on my Royal Replenish package.

I agree. We have always purchased 2-3 drinks per day. Now that we're Diamond on RCCL (and Elite on X), we'll use those perks and probably purchase no extra drinks at all:rolleyes:

I don't blame you one bit!

Agree! After our previously booked Oasis cruise this holiday, we will not be sailing with Royal. IMHO, it is not a premium experience and not work the premium price. The ridiculous increase in drink prices is just the icing on the cake to drive us away. $15.00 for a Bloody Mary...common that is pathetic.

We enjoy Princess equally with Royal and and have been wanting to return to Celebrity on one of the Solstice Class ship. Also giving NCL a serious looks now too...great prices and drink package included...and I hear we can wear shorts to dinner!

The only thing good that comes from these ridiculous price hikes on drinks for my cruise is the fact that one of my best friends who is going on his first RCI cruise will likely not stay highly intoxicated the whole cruise and actually remember some of it. :D He is pretty much a tight wad and use to getting his bud light limes for around 1.50 - 2.00 at his local watering holes. I cant wait to see the :eek: when they tell him it will be 7 bucks for a beer :D

Something else we noticed (or didn't) - I don't recall seeing one intoxicated person, of course we aren't up very late, so may have missed them.

Just wondering if anyone who "usually" sails with RCCL has tried NCL? I see they are now offering drink packages included with fare.

Our cruise in May on Freedom in a regular D3 balcony cabin is costing us $2343, this was booked with the BOGO sale (me rolling my eyes over the inflated prices). Our November cruise on Celebrity Reflection in a conceriege class cabin is costing us $2399 which INCLUDES free alcohol package, pre paid gratuities AND $300 OBC. If things don't change this will probably be our last RCCL cruise. :(

Edited by spammie

I think that it is a very bad management decision (among others recently) that will backfire and lose them not only money in their bars, but will lose them customers in general.

I have no doubt that the idea is to encourage sales of the package, but if we return to RCI (and have no plans to at the moment because they are not meeting our expectations, and others are) we will drink less. Never bought the package before, and won't in future.

It's not about what we can or can't afford. It's about how much we are, or are not, prepared to be exploited! I hope senior management realise that they are turning customers off with their tactics. I know we aren't alone in feeling this way.

Haven't seen posted what drink prices are on other lines?? Maybe they have increased also. Actually prices quoted are pretty in line with drink prices in restaurants in Canada - family style chains - not high end. As for Celebrity - you may get the drink package "free" but when I price out the fare it is higher than RCI.

I won't be drinking much on the ship anymore except free drinks in the DL/CL. I'll drink at bars on the islands and the wine/champagne we can bring onboard. Absolutely not paying $7 for a cheap beer or $12 for a low quality frozen drink.

I'm over it :rolleyes:.

KKMurphy2- I don't undrstand your comment about OBC OR balcony discount. I always get both when booking while on board. Just did this last week on Navigator.

You were correct in getting onboard credit while booking onboard, which is combinable with the balcony discount.

But the BOGO free sale, which previously offered OBC was NOT combinable with the balcony discount. Therefore, our friends who are not diamond received the $200 OBC, while we received the $225 balcony discount. I had to choose between $200 and $225. Our friends were platinum and had to choose between $100 discount and $200 OBC. Of course, they chose the OBC.

That is the explanation. The Diamond discount meant only $25 to us, which is a decrease in benefits. Thanks for letting me explain myself.

Ok this is just irritating, something I have no intention of rewarding. I'll drink in port.