Poll: Should shorts be allowed in MDR on Casual Nights

Should shorts be allowed in the MDR Casual dress code  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Should shorts be allowed in the MDR Casual dress code

• Yes (I am a man)
    • Yes (I am a woman)
    • No (I am a man)
    • No (I am a woman)

It's interesting to me how many of the responses on issues of standards of attire end up in a form somewhat like:

"I don't care what other people wear . . . as long as it's not . . . ."

It seems that a large number of people want to say that they don't care what anyone else wears, yet then feel the need to qualify it, by saying they do care if it crosses a certain line. I think that's why it tends to be such a hot topic, because almost everyone really does think there should be a standard of some sort (whether they openly admit it or not), yet you won't have everyone agreeing on what that standard should be. :cool:

It's interesting to me how many of the responses on issues of standards of attire end up in a form somewhat like:

"I don't care what other people wear . . . as long as it's not . . . ."

It seems that a large number of people want to say that they don't care what anyone else wears, yet then feel the need to qualify it, by saying they do care if it crosses a certain line. I think that's why it tends to be such a hot topic, because almost everyone really does think there should be a standard of some sort (whether they openly admit it or not), yet you won't have everyone agreeing on what that standard should be. :cool:

While I'm more in the "I don't care" camp, you are correct. Except for someone saying nudity is ok in the family dining room, everyone has a line.

Just a matter of where they place it. I do think people are saying the line should be moved to a more casual atmosphere. Tough to put all that in one poll.

Edited by TominNC

It seems that a large number of people want to say that they don't care what anyone else wears, yet then feel the need to qualify it, by saying they do care if it crosses a certain line.

Of course there should be standards set. But the current minimums are too strict, IMO. I do not advocate a free for all. But I do want to wear shorts. And that doesn't mean I am coming in my lawn mowing clothes, a wet bathing suit, or forgetting to shower and groom myself. All of those type of responses are pure nonsense.

So you are not in favor of people choosing for themselves and being comfortable on casual night. Please vote and save the debate for another thread.

Why did you start a poll? Are you just looking for people that don't agree with you,so that you can come back and badger them? Because that's what it looks like. You didn't make a statement and come back to defend it. You asked a question, so sit back and see what other people think. I think everybody knows that you think shorts should be acceptable the the MDR on casual nights,now how about respecting other people's opinions instead of trying to make them change thier minds.

I say yes to shorts on casual nights. It's a male clothing revolution out there. First we rid ourselves of that cloth around our necks and now the cloth on our calf's. Only then can men be truly equal with our DW's. ( in our dreams) :)

Wear a skirt, dress, or a kilt.

I think cleanliness, a level of modesty acceptable in general society, and clothes being in a good state of repair are more important than most things.

I saw a woman wearing a dress that either belonged to someone else or belonged to her when she was many lbs lighter and had a large tear in the side seam where her skin was protruding. That's not cool. She was an attractive woman, but she wasn't dressed appropriately.

I've seen people in clothes that are often considered too casual that were dressed so nicely that it didn't matter at all. They, ultimately, could be considered to be dressed appropriately.

It's not always what type of clothes you wear, it's the way you wear it.

Why did you start a poll? Are you just looking for people that don't agree with you,so that you can come back and badger them? Because that's what it looks like. You didn't make a statement and come back to defend it. You asked a question, so sit back and see what other people think. I think everybody knows that you think shorts should be acceptable the the MDR on casual nights,now how about respecting other people's opinions instead of trying to make them change thier minds.

I was responding to the person who kept saying they just don't understand why anyone would want to choose shorts for themselves. You can't make some people "get it". Of course I respect other opinions (unless they are putting someone else down or trying to exert a power over others that they do not have the authority to exert). There is a fine line between having a reasoned opinion, and hiding behind an opinion to bully, berate, belittle, and badger others.

I think in a poll one should vote and clarify their vote by explaining their position. Dragging it out and responding to each person "But I don't understand..." is not really appropriate. And, with that, I hope that has been clarified for you.

My problem with shorts in the dining room is that it doesn't match the venue. You have a nice dining room, servers dressed so nice, a table set up just right, the food comes out looking like the pictures in magazines, and it's served to people who look like they are on spring break. When we go to Ruth Crist or Flemings, when we are on a land vacation, we don't even consider wearing shorts. Change the venue to look like Sizzlers or Olive Garden and I'm all for it.

Cruising used to be something special now it's just a Motel 6 on the sea.

So you are not in favor of people choosing for themselves and being comfortable on casual night. Please vote and save the debate for another thread.

Ahhh, but this is cruise critic and you've been around long enough to know everything eventually ends up being a debate. ;):)

Maybe it should be changed to CD.....Cruise Debate.:D

I was responding to the person who kept saying they just don't understand why anyone would want to choose shorts for themselves.

Wrong. You were responding to me, and I never once said that, much less "kept saying" it.

Edited by Paul65

My problem with shorts in the dining room is that it doesn't match the venue. You have a nice dining room, servers dressed so nice, a table set up just right, the food comes out looking like the pictures in magazines, and it's served to people who look like they are on spring break. When we go to Ruth Crist or Flemings, when we are on a land vacation, we don't even consider wearing shorts. Change the venue to look like Sizzlers or Olive Garden and I'm all for it.

What about MDR for breakfast or lunch? Same venue. Same decor. Same table settings. Perhaps even nicer looking with natural daylight. Same waitstaff (dressed down a bit) and shorts allowed. So what is the difference?? I thought the MDR on legend was much nicer in the day time with two story wall of glass giving sea views

Edited by LMaxwell

Why should cruising be your version of something special? It's special for me that I'm able to put aside the time and money to cruise with my wife or my wife and kids. However, that being special doesn't make me want to play dress up. I'm on vacation.

And I'd wear nice shorts to a Ruth's Chris too

They might as well. The food they serve up in the MDR certainly doesn't match the venue either and IMHO, is about on par with those places you listed above. With that said, I realize how many plates they have to serve and take it for what it is. Banquet food, served in mass quantities and Im ok with that.

Wear a skirt, dress, or a kilt.

Now a kilt sounds like a good idea. I have a bit of Scottish in the blood line. Do I qualify? Or will I half to wait until I get a few single malt's in me first?;):D

But of course a kilt is formal wear. :)

Edited by DirtyDawg

Now a kilt sounds like a good idea. I have a bit of Scottish in the blood line. Do I qualify? Or will I half to wait until I get a few single malt's in me first?;):D

But of course a kilt is formal wear. :)

What about a casual run about town kilt?

The recent thread now at 413 posts wasn't enough?........

I guess it has been a while for a dress code thread, why not start another..............:rolleyes:

That was a different topic.

Did you vote?

The recent thread now at 413 posts wasn't enough?........

I guess it has been a while for a dress code thread, why not start another..............:rolleyes:

I think the poll gives it an interesting twist. I'm not too surprised that opinions are relatively evenly split.

Any thoughts about kids on lawns or any yelling at clouds you'd like to add?

I certainly hope not. I just don't get it, a certain item of clothing increases enjoyment of a cruise??? Shorts in the evening should be buffet only.

Just like forcing me to wear pants should not change the enjoyment of your cruise. You can still wear pants, just many others would be in nice shorts. No one is wanting to change how you would like to dress for your cruise. Just other options for other folks.

Edited by Whittyone