unhappy on the adventure

I'm so sorry for your hassle, however, I would have titled this differently. It's not that you're unhappy with Adventure but unhappy with airlines.

That said, I would have been furious to have flown Choice Air and have this happen however. They should have reimbursed you for your hassle...ugh!!!

Mary

I am sorry that you had such a bad time with your travel. I travel about 50,000 miles a year and am always pleased and surprised if all my flights are on time and I do not have luggage issues.It is not the responsibility of the airline or Royal Caribbean to feed you on your journey. I always carry protein bars for those emergencies. I am very surprised they made you take your bags and recheck them. Generally they get transferred behind the scenes.

I, too, would have only carried 7 days of meds and packed the rest as well. If you ever lose your meds again (and I hope you don't!) your provider can call in a refill if you are lucky enough to be in San Juan. You can also request an emergency supply over ride in your health insurance.

It sounds like Cruise Air could have done a better job of supporting you on your journey by helping you navigate the difficulties of getting your luggage back. Did you finally get it? And did the airline offer you any compensation? Generally they will reimburse you for expenses such as toiletries and clothing. I cannot imagine trying to cope without all my favorite clothes. I have had to buy too many "I love whatever city I am stranded in" t shirts over the years to want those be my cruise wear.

Although you would have liked more from Royal Caribbean, they were not your airline carrier nor were they responsible for your lost bags. Cruise Air and Royal Caribbean have a business relationship but are not the same company, so one is not responsible for the other.

Good luck on your next vacation. I hope it goes more smoothly. These were difficult and expensive lessons to learn on what was supposed to be a happy and carefree experience

Edited by MommaBear55

How can people be so condescending on this? SHE BOOKED THROUGH ROYAL CARIBBEANS CHOICE AIR. You know, they "guarantee" you get there on time. Which to me they are saying "WE" the cruise line, is responsible to get you there. PERIOD. Guess the lesson is not only is Choice Air way more expensive then booking your own flight but THEY DO NOT GUARENTEE you get there on time. So RCCI is saying HA JOKES ON YOU. I understand that loyal royals don't want to admit that RCCI messed up and does not want to compensate. God forbid that they would be wrong about something. This story is horrible. I would have lost it after the first night. RCCI should reimburse you for every night that you were not on the ship and any meals and travel expenses for every day you were not on the ship. I hope you are making a fuss? Keep us posted. I am so sorry for you guys. You handed it way better then I would have.

Anyone who believes that Choice Air or any travel site can "guarantee" your arrival, well I've got beach front property in Arizona I'd like to sell you. In actuality, they don't even use the word "guarantee", it says "assured arrival" and further says "If any delays or cancellations arise, we work quickly with the airline to get you on the next available flight so you make it to your ship on time." but nowhere does it say it is a guarantee. In this case, it sounds like that is exactly what they did. Granted, they did not get them to San Juan but they did get them to the next port. I also don't see anything on the Choice Air sight that says they help with lost luggage, as far as I can tell, that is completely on the airline.

I used Choice Air once for a cruise out of San Juan mainly for that promise to get you to the cruise and handle any flight changes, thankfully I did not have to take them up on it. I'm not defending Royal here, I'm just not seeing what they should be culpable for.

I'm so sorry for your hassle, however, I would have titled this differently. It's not that you're unhappy with Adventure but unhappy with airlines.

That said, I would have been furious to have flown Choice Air and have this happen however. They should have reimbursed you for your hassle...ugh!!!

Mary

Agreed! Airline problems yes, Adventure problems no

Of course what the OP posted was terrible.

If all that really happened then Royal should take the blame

and compensate. Having said that, tell me how this post doesn't

have crazy all over it. Also, how can any responsible adult travel in todays

world without a credit card ? You have to conform to the ways of the

world or stay in your bubble. How did they pay for the cruise in cash ?

Walk into a TA's office and hand them a wad of cash ?

Yes, we have travel insurance and ultimately it is not the loss of the luggage albeit alot of valuable things lost that is really bothering me.

If you had travel insurance, you should have been able to purchase personal affects/clothing (essentials - not alcohol or jewelry, for example - but perhaps I'd expect insulin to be covered?!?), and be reimbursed for that (once the baggage is delayed per the policy (for example, mine covers only after a 12 hr delay but does cover up to $300 pp).

In addition, my policy would cover a delay in travel (after 5 hours), up to $150 pp/per day ($750 max pp), or missed connection $250 pp, which I would expect to cover your hotel.

Lost luggage is covered up to $1000 pp. (I have a travelguard policy through insuremytrip)

I wouldn't expect RCI to make good on the airlines delays, though I've never purchased air through the cruise line, so I don't know what to expect when that relationship is put in place.

Good luck!

Seems to me that the OP and a few others here think ChoiceAir IS Royal Caribbean. Someone can correct me if Im wrong but I dont believe that is the case at all? :confused:

I also have to agree, at the risk of getting flamed by those that call people cheerleaders, that this is totally on ChoiceAir and the airline and not on RC at all.

Im not diabetic but I would NEVER put something so important as insulin in checked luggage. In fact, Im pretty sure the cruise line even recommends that you carry your medicine onboard with you in your carry on.

Lesson learned maybe? Royal Caribbeans fault? Still trying to figure out why on that one.

I'm sorry but I think people are being a little nitpicky when they tell the OP her title shouldn't read 'unhappy on adventurer.' The vacation was a package and while the airlines screwed-up, OP wasn't exactly tickled pink on the Adventure either. On a seven day cruise with just T shirts and shorts? Royal didn't exactly go the extra mile to help out. I've never used Choice Air so count me as one that was under the misconception that it meant more than just catching you up with the cruise. Now that I've read this thread, at least I know better.

Edited by Big_G

I'm sorry but I think people are being a little nitpicky when they tell the OP her title shouldn't read 'unhappy on adventurer.' The vacation was a package and while the airlines screwed-up, OP wasn't exactly tickled pink on the Adventure either. On a seven day cruise with just T shirts and shorts? Royal didn't exactly go the extra mile to help out. I've never used Choice Air so count me as one that was under the misconception that it meant more than just catching you up with the cruise. Now that I've read this thread, at least I know better.

Since they probably would only be allowed to give away their labled stuff, since the stores are subcontractors, how much should cash should they have been given to get stuff?

If I get thier itinerary correct, the next stop back to San Juan would be Castries, St. Lucia. They could have gotten clothing and bags there, but how good could it be?

In other words, what should have Royal done? What would "go the extra mile" be?

In other words, what should have Royal done? What would "go the extra mile" be?

My point was directed toward the comments about the OP's title. Who cares what the title says, she was on the Adventure. It was her vacation. It wasn't the dream vacation she was hoping for and when I said Royal didn't go the extra mile, they didn't exactly break the bank giving the OP a T shirt and toothpaste every day. I just thought from a Choice Air perspective there would be more offered but I guess I was wrong. Lesson learned.

My point was directed toward the comments about the OP's title. Who cares what the title says, she was on the Adventure. It was her vacation. It wasn't the dream vacation she was hoping for and when I said Royal didn't go the extra mile, they didn't exactly break the bank giving the OP a T shirt and toothpaste every day. I just thought from a Choice Air perspective there would be more offered but I guess I was wrong. Lesson learned.

Forgive me for just asking- but I'm trying to see what people expected Royal to do. If you think Royal didn't go the extra mile, then you have some kind of idea what they should have done.

What should have they done?

Lots of condemning what was done, and some wishing there was compensation- which is expected. But nobody has suggested what they should have done.

that's all I'm asking.

Anyone who believes that Choice Air or any travel site can "guarantee" your arrival, well I've got beach front property in Arizona I'd like to sell you. In actuality, they don't even use the word "guarantee", it says "assured arrival" and further says "If any delays or cancellations arise, we work quickly with the airline to get you on the next available flight so you make it to your ship on time." but nowhere does it say it is a guarantee. In this case, it sounds like that is exactly what they did. Granted, they did not get them to San Juan but they did get them to the next port. I also don't see anything on the Choice Air sight that says they help with lost luggage, as far as I can tell, that is completely on the airline.

I used Choice Air once for a cruise out of San Juan mainly for that promise to get you to the cruise and handle any flight changes, thankfully I did not have to take them up on it. I'm not defending Royal here, I'm just not seeing what they should be culpable for.

Blah Blah Blah What it comes down to is that Royal Caribbean "fools" you into believing that you are safer to use their provider since they get a nice cut of the over priced ticket.

OP - I'm so sorry this happened to you - what a bummer. It's a good thing you have insurance. Hope all works out well. One note of advice (I'm sure you already know - NEVER put any necessary medication, etc. in your checked baggage. That's just asking for trouble. Was this a seven-day cruise? If yes, I've done about a dozen and only do carry-on - no need at all for any checked baggage. Again - hope all works out!

i sure wish the cheerleaders would cut the crap. The op didn't do anything wrong!! Rcl fell flat on their face with this. They failed to provide even adequate service here & should have done a lot more for their customer!

bravo

Forgive me for just asking- but I'm trying to see what people expected Royal to do. If you think Royal didn't go the extra mile, then you have some kind of idea what they should have done.

Lots of condemning what was done, and some wishing there was compensation- which is expected. But nobody has suggested what they should have done.

that's all I'm asking.

Gave them a $100 onboard credit each, They could've bought some essential clothing in the shops. A 25% future cruise credit, which they

won't use anyway. Pay expenses that weren't covered by their insurance,

which should be minimal or nothing. Give them a DVD explaining what any

responsible adult should know about world travel and what most of us would

consider common sense.

that's all I'm asking.

I was leaning toward a partial credit under the misconception that if they arranged your flight then they should take some responsibility. As to the somewhat crass comment below, they had me fooled.

What it comes down to is that Royal Caribbean "fools" you into believing that you are safer to use their provider since they get a nice cut of the over priced ticket.
Edited by Big_G

I have seen waaaaaay more people agreeing with the OP than I ever expected. OP's trouble was with the airlines. Choiceair is a booking agent that only guarantees they will get you to the ship eventually. Not that they will to the ship in time for embarkation. For people that are saying RCCL is responsible for the AIRLINES delaying the flight and the AIRLINES losing her luggage. If I book through my local travel agency and this happened, do you expect them to refund my whole trip over something like this. No!! This is and AIRLINE issue.

And I'm sorry, just using choice air is no excuse for the number of traveling mistakes that were made. Their layover was 45 minutes!!!! That is a ridiculously close layover for any flight, but especially for someone flying in to meet a cruise on the first day. Airlines have delays. Airlines have lost luggage. These are all airline problems that are common and foreseeable. I saw absolutely no complaint that was made about royal caribbean except that she didn't have her run of the stores for free. No idea why this was posted.

Edited by sanger727

Blah Blah Blah What it comes down to is that Royal Caribbean "fools" you into believing that you are safer to use their provider since they get a nice cut of the over priced ticket.

They only fool you if you let them. Choice Air allows you to book the flights that you want, the OP booked flights with a 44 minute connection, never a good idea. They have a price guarantee so no one should be buying an over priced ticket, if they do, they haven't done their research.

The second the OP found out they were going to be delayed out of Seattle, they should have been trying to get new flights then, not when they landed at Dulles. They had all the time in Seattle to find other flights and might have been better off not flying to Dulles, but fly to an airport where they could have made a connection to San Juan. You need to be your own advocate and not just go with the flock.

I am sorry the OP missed so much of their cruise but they hopefully learned a lot from this experience. Never travel without a credit card, never put medications in checked luggage, never leave for a vacation wearing just shorts, tshirt and flip flops:confused: and do you homework ahead of time so you already have a plan B just in case flights are cancelled.

I am sure RCCL could have handled some parts better, but some of the issues happened or were made worse by making several traveling mistakes. The first is having medicine in a checked bag. That's a big mistake always. So getting medicine to replace while traveling internationally will never be easy. Secondly, traveling with no credit cards. I personally do not keep balances on credit cards but I do use them. For example, I am insured when I use it to book a cruise or flight. Plus, you never know what emergency might happen. So the credit card, in combination of knowing what insurance will pay for lost luggage, the poster would have purchased a good amount of clothing and supplies while catching their ship in Barbados.

Honestly, this story would have been a happier story, with a few corrections.

Hopefully people will learn from this, not to pack medicine and always have a back-up plan for paying for emergencies!

What it REALLY comes down to is people should read the fine print when it comes to ChoiceAir. Nowhere in said fine print does it "guarantee" anything other than catching you up to the ship if something happens. You should know it is practically impossible for anyone to GUARANTEE to get you anywhere on time when it comes to flying. Thats all that blackshirt was trying to convey.

Why would anyone book through ChoiceAir and NOT read the fine print of what they are buying?

Why would anyone put their medicine, ESPECIALLY insulin, in checked luggage?

Why would anyone only wear a tshirt, shorts and flip flops to a cruise with no clothes in a carry on?

Several lessons to be learned here. Unfortunately, the OP had to learn them the hard way. :o

I love that I can come here & learn new things all the time............. I'm one of those people that thought Choice Air was Royal Caribbean. I've never used them, but always thought anyone who did would have the full support of Royal Caribbean if there were problems. I wonder how many others believe the same?

Lesson learned...never, EVER put medications in a checked bag...EVER! And, don't fly United...they suck the big one!

So does American...but RCCL booked those flights. Op has me rethinking my packing for my carry on...going to pack several lightweight sundresses/undies etc.

I never pack meds...they travel WITH me along with my jewerly.

So sorry to hear a story like yours. In many years of flying/cruising, mostly with Continental/Delta, we have never lost even 1 piece of luggage!:eek: But I hear plenty of lost luggage stories from United/AA flyers.

I realize nothing that happened to you can be justified and hindsight is realtive, but my mother raised with with cliches:rolleyes: and I always remember the Boy Scout motto 'Be Prepared' and 'Plan for the best, prepare for the worst'. I know this sounds lame, but you should get back on the horse at the earliest opportunity...you may become an RCCL loyal one of these days.:)

I love that I can come here & learn new things all the time............. I'm one of those people that thought Choice Air was Royal Caribbean. I've never used them, but always thought anyone who did would have the full support of Royal Caribbean if there were problems. I wonder how many others believe the same?

Why wouldn't someone trust a well respected company? Tongue in cheek here. RCCL makes a lot of money on kickbacks from Choice air but not everyone knows how to check airfare. Travel agents don't make any money on airfare unless it is in bulk (more then 6-8 seats) so they aren't going to work for you.