cruise tomorrow-DH can't go...please help

westcoastvecs

Hi all,

I don't know how to word this to use the search...My DH has an issue at work this coming week that prevents him from cruising with us on a California Coastal on the Ruby sailing tomorrow. My question is: since he has paid and can't cruise, could he let Princess know at check in, but still board the ship to enjoy lunch with us and then disembark? Like the Bon Voyage Experience they offer......

Thank you so much,

:)

Robin

I'm so sorry this happened, but they probably won't allow it. Once he checks in he is officially on the manifest. They then have to remove him from the manifest after lunch when he "jumps ship". If he's not on the manifest he's then a "visitor" which presents a security issue.

A lot of this is not up to Princess but to US Homeland Security and to local port authorities.

Maybe you can lunch together near the terminal? It's not the same thing but he can see you off.

I'm so sorry this happened, but they probably won't allow it. Once he checks in he is officially on the manifest. They then have to remove him from the manifest after lunch when he "jumps ship". If he's not on the manifest he's then a "visitor" which presents a security issue.

I'm sure you are correct on this, unless there is a BVE for that cruise that the OP could somehow add her DH to. Years ago, they used to let non-sailing guests board for bon voyage parties, etc., but not anymore :(.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I seriously disagree that he can't do this; people get called off the ship all the time due to issues. It's a pleasure cruise, not being shanghaied.

I would simply check in as normal, enjoy lunch and some of the afternoon, and then address the issue with the passenger services desk; there shouldn't be any problem. I have actually done this due to Client Drama and it was no trouble at all. He's a ticketed passenger who already completed the immigration and customs section of the Personalizer and they can't force him to stay on the ship.

To the OP: so sorry he isn't able to join you. Please post about the outcome.

Hi all,

I don't know how to word this to use the search...My DH has an issue at work this coming week that prevents him from cruising with us on a California Coastal on the Ruby sailing tomorrow. My question is: since he has paid and can't cruise, could he let Princess know at check in, but still board the ship to enjoy lunch with us and then disembark? Like the Bon Voyage Experience they offer......

Thank you so much,

:)

Robin

Why don't you ask Princess instead of people who don't work do Princess?:)

I would not be deceitful in any way. The people advising "sickness" do not have to face an alphabet soup of agencies as they try to appear really, really sick.

Just tell the truth. Something came up at work and he can't stay on the ship.

Just tell the truth. Something came up at work and he can't stay on the ship.

I agree. And I think they will treat it as a routine matter. Possibly he'll have to fill out a Customs declaration.

Edited by Wehwalt

Most likely if he checks in and then has an emergency requiring getting off, he will not receie a refund of the port charges. You may want to verify this before deciding. I don't know what your port charges will be, but the $140 cited above would be an expensive lunch

The OP has no time to clear this with anybody in authority at Princess.

When he leaves the ship - regardless of the excuse - he will be removed from the manifest. Princess must give US Homeland Security a final manafest no later than one hour before sailing. When he walks off that clock is reset.

I was on QM2 when two passengers, 15 minutes before sailing, came off in stretchers. We sat an hour before moving.

I'm sure you are correct on this, unless there is a BVE for that cruise that the OP could somehow add her DH to. Years ago, they used to let non-sailing guests board for bon voyage parties, etc., but not anymore :(.

There is a BVE, but it is full. I know because I got the last spot for our son (he is driving us to the port). I asked for 2 and was told by 2 different people that there was "no more room".

I would worry about the $250.00 fine for leaving the ship early without going to a foreign port first.

Fine is at least $300, and since he will not have left port, there is no need for a distant foreign port. No different than the Bon Voyage people. And no customs. And if he leaves with the BVE people, there is no need to redo the manifest and hold the ship. Just tell the front desk that he has left the ship and will not be coming back. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

It's my (loose) understanding that as long as one person from the original booking remains in the cabin, you can substitute an alternate cruise companion at no charge. Know any friends you'd enjoy spending a week with, who could drop in with you?

It's my (loose) understanding that as long as one person from the original booking remains in the cabin, you can substitute an alternate cruise companion at no charge. Know any friends you'd enjoy spending a week with, who could drop in with you?

It is too late to make this change. Must be done x days before the cruise.

Not that it's a certainty but some companies (employers) will refund a cruise in this instance. I worked for a major health insurance company and we had to cancel vacation time for an employee for urgent business needs. The employee was reimbursed 100% by the company and allowed to substitute any time they wanted to make it up. I also believe they paid a small ($250-500) "bonus" to try and make-up for it.