Galapagos

Open sea

Looking for info from anyone who has been to the Galapagos. Celebrity offers a 10 day and 11 day via the Xpedition.

Has anyone done both and could share what they feel the differences are?

Not having been, we are trying to understand the difference and which cruise would be the better option?

Recommended excursions?

Best time to go?

Thanks in advance for your help

Looking for info from anyone who has been to the Galapagos. Celebrity offers a 10 day and 11 day via the Xpedition.

Has anyone done both and could share what they feel the differences are?

Not having been, we are trying to understand the difference and which cruise would be the better option?

Recommended excursions?

Best time to go?

Thanks in advance for your help

Both cruises spend 7 days in the Islands. The 11 day trip spends an extra day in Quito at the end of the trip after flying back from the Islands. Both 10 & 11 have two nights in Quito before flying out to the Islands which provides plenty of time for most people to see the city. Save your money and opt for the 10 day version.

Live in Qutio Ecuador.....Have yet to head to the Galapagos....but from the people I have chatted with, best to find a smaller ship...but I guess it all depends on what you want to get out of the trip.....best of luck

The excursions are included. The night before you will decide which level of activity you wish, some people can hike up hundreds of stairs some can't. It's a very well organised and memorable trip , worth every cent.

The boat is about 90 passengers. When we went it was all inclusive with an open bar. You will spend 7 nights on the boat so the other nights will be spent in Quito as someone already mentioned. When I went they put us up in a Marriott in Quite.

Edited by cruzsnooze

• 2 months later...

I did an extensive review of the Celebrity Xpedition in 2013 by ginal. Great ship...all inclusive bar....food different every night. Lots of stairs..no elevator. Pick deck on the eating or lounge floor for your room. 90 people on the boat. Only saw that many at supper. Everything very well organized for different ages and capabilities. The few young kinds (4) were bored at lot. This is not a kid cruise. It is all about nature and seeing the flora and fauna.

We were on the expedition in February. Everything is well done and it is a great trip. Go down a day early and stay at the Marriott if you want more time in Quito, the extra day the the end would be anti-climatic. Celebrity does a great job in getting you back to the airport to leave on Saturday if you wish or you can overnight and leave on Sunday Morning. Save your money and go for the 10-day

My friend just returned from the Galapagos 10 day in May and I am booked on the 10 day in 2016. Be aware it's a small ship so sells out way in advance. I booked my 2016 trip last year and another friend is currently looking to book a 10 day in 2017.

The Galapagos cruise is 7 nights, every Sunday to Sunday year round. Since I booked the 10 day I am responsible for booking and paying for my flight to Quito, Ecuador. I will arrive in Quito on Friday before the cruise, and from the moment I arrive in Quito Celebrity takes over and everything is included in the 10 day price. They will meet us at the airport, transport us to the Quito Marriott hotel (for 2 nights) and include all meals until we board the ship on Sunday. On Saturday Saturday Celebrity provides a full day tour of the area. This is all included in the 10 day package.

The Galapagos cruise departs from Baltra, so on Sunday morning Celebrity will bus us to a chartered plane from Quito to Baltra where we will board the ship for the cruise. Then the following Sunday after the cruise is completed they will fly us back to Quito for another night stay at the Marriott (5 star hotel) and transport us back to the airport for our departure home. As I said, all this except the flight to and from Quito is included in the 10 day package price.

Some people do pay to do just the 7 day cruise, but then you need to price out everything Celebrity includes in the 10 or 11 day packages to see if you'd save money and would want to risk missing the ship if something went wrong. I think most people pay the extra and let Celebrity take care of everything, like we did.

FYI, I've never read a bad review about the Celebrity Galapagos trip, they say it's a cruise of a lifetime and I am so looking forward to it.

One other reason to consider the 10 day over the 11 day is altitude sickness. If it hits you, you really will not want to spend the extra day. FYI, altitude sickness can hit you one time but not another. On our flight MIA-Quito, my wife could barely get off the plane...I felt fine. Coming back from the Xpedition, we arrived in quito, my wife bounced out of her seat and I could barely get up. We were fine for the one day we were there in both directions, but I don't think we missed anything by not staying an extra day.

Yes...it is by far the best cruise we've ever taken.

There is a very extensive thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2069149

that has answers to every question you could think of!

OP, I am in the same boat as you trying to decide. I subscribed to the thread linked above and that keeps me up to date with what people say about it. If you are on any other Celebrity cruise, there is likely to be a presentation on this cruise. We've been to two this year. Between the two I talked DH into booking it. By delaying we lost $500 OBC that was offered onboard in January. Cruise rep in May said the demand is so high they don't have to offer incentives now. If I see any kind of promotion by a TA or X on this, I'm going to book right away. (Used up my persuasive powers on DH to get the 10-16 trip booked, lol...so have to wait until I get more ammo to use on him.)

• 1 month later...
If you are on any other Celebrity cruise, there is likely to be a presentation on this cruise. We've been to two this year. Between the two I talked DH into booking it. By delaying we lost $500 OBC that was offered onboard in January. Cruise rep in May said the demand is so high they don't have to offer incentives now. )

just curious - would the lost $500 OBC apply to the Xpedition cruise?

Quite sure that i will be difficult to spend the OBC on Xpedition anyway - all inclusive at that trip - and very popular indeed.