Just off Emerald Princess - my (not happy) review

debbie311

Hi All

Sorry to hear the OP became ill, never nice and is going to colour your thoughts,

as to hot breakfast, what about the bacon and egg muffin.

As to the toilet seat Princess does need to use a better grade of plastic,

not sure what had happen to the one in my last cabin but it looked like someone had taken a knife to it, however a call to pursers desk and a new shiny one would have appeared.

Having been to Roatan and eaten their, I would be careful what and were I ate,

bottled water and fresh fish grilled in front of you,

As to the ships condition its over a year since I was on board but was there with non cruisers who thought ship was amazing.

yours Shogun

The ability to do this seems to vary from ship to ship, like many things on Princess. It doesn't hurt to ask, though :).

My experience has been the same on Emerald Princess, Regal Princess, Ocean Princess and Caribbean Princess. Haven't tried on other ships, but I would be surprised to find a major difference on something so simple. (Did have one time in which they said they could not include some salsa for my scrambled....)

But to say that you can only get the continental breakfast on Princess is certainly not the case.

We just got off the 03/22 sailing and unlike the OP we found the ship in really good shape. Our room, all of the common areas, the public bathrooms, hallways, dining and pool areas were all clean, smelled ok, and we did not see any area, that maintenance was needed as some have commented. Our experience in the MDR was exceptional, our room was in very good shape and service was above average. We didn't love everything in the Horizon Court, didn't love all of the entertainment, but generally we really enjoyed the cruise.

Sorry the OP had the issues in their specific interactions on the ship, but luckily we didn't run into any of those issues on our cruise. We met a lot of great passegers, enjoyed some really good meals, had some of the best service in our 11 previous cruises, and overall had a really good cruise.

Glad we were there a week earlier!

DW and both came down with conjunctivitis (pink eye) and, when we went to the medical center, we found out it was really going around the ship (crew members were coming down with it as well).

I get that a lot, but only while cruising. I'm sure it's either from a hot tub or being in the ocean (or both). I went to the eye doctor last week and got a prescription for the antibiotic drops and will now travel with them, just to save the work of filing the medical claims when I return.

Maybe so, but tone and references where very similar if not exact. Perhaps, you can help me by locating that previous post.:D

Hmmm ... just searched through my previous posts and there were none that were similar to this one. Why would there be? This has never happened to me before!!!

This is pretty funny actually. I read posts but don't post much myself. It always amazes me that someone can post something, an opinion or an experience they had, and people are all over them saying that they are wrong because THEY didn't have that experience. Well, good for you!

I wish I had saved one of the breakfast cards, but I definitely remember the choices were: toast (white or wheat), cereal, croissant, danish and the egg mcmuffin type thing. There was no place to write in other requests.

The other cruise lines I have sailed on aren't perfect and I would NEVER diminish someone's opinion of their experience by saying what a great time I had! Sheesh! How rude.

Thanks to all of you that were understanding and did not question my motives for posting here. I have no axe to grind. I just wanted to share my experience.

Hmmm ... just searched through my previous posts and there were none that were similar to this one. Why would there be? This has never happened to me before!!!

This is pretty funny actually. I read posts but don't post much myself. It always amazes me that someone can post something, an opinion or an experience they had, and people are all over them saying that they are wrong because THEY didn't have that experience. Well, good for you!

I wish I had saved one of the breakfast cards, but I definitely remember the choices were: toast (white or wheat), cereal, croissant, danish and the egg mcmuffin type thing. There was no place to write in other requests.

The other cruise lines I have sailed on aren't perfect and I would NEVER diminish someone's opinion of their experience by saying what a great time I had! Sheesh! How rude.

Thanks to all of you that were understanding and did not question my motives for posting here. I have no axe to grind. I just wanted to share my experience.

FWIW, I agree with you 100%. I'm about to sail on my 20th Princess cruise and I didn't know know I could write requests on the breakfast card. Of course, there have only been a few times I have filled out the card. I usually go to Horizon Court for my breakfast.

It doesn't matter how wonderful other peoples experiences were on their cruises. You were sharing your experience. I think it rude to question it or give the impression you must be wrong, because other people on the same cruise had great experience.

Thanks for sharing and I hope this experience doesn't deter you from sharing future experiences.

We just got home from a wonderful trip on the Emerald and we enjoyed our cruise very much. Our cabin with a balcony was on Aloha right up front.We thought the food was good and our dinner at the Crown Grill was outstanding.

I'm sorry you got sick. Food hygiene and quality control can't always be certain on excursions. They may not have the same standards as on the ship. I hope you will give Princess another try.

She asked what I had eaten that day and asked if we had gone on an excursion. We had gone on the snorkel sail and lunch. She asked if it was the "Jolly Roger" and I said yes, it was. I asked if other passengers were ill and she said she could not say but that she had heard "things" about Jolly Roger. We also discussed the possibility of norovirus.

Was this a Princess excursion or one arranged by yourself or others?

If a Princess excursion and they have "heard things" about the Jolly Roger, maybe Princess should stop using that provider.

My experience has been the same on Emerald Princess, Regal Princess, Ocean Princess and Caribbean Princess. Haven't tried on other ships, but I would be surprised to find a major difference on something so simple. (Did have one time in which they said they could not include some salsa for my scrambled....)

Prepare to be surprised. :)

But to say that you can only get the continental breakfast on Princess is certainly not the case.

The hang tag menu does not offer anything other than the "continental" type things printed on it. So technically, yes, Princess does offer only a continental breakfast through room service.

You are correct. There is no place to write in things. People have just been writing things on the form somewhere in hopes of getting something else. There is no reason you should have known that. On seven (I think) different Princess ships, some with multiple sailings, I have often gotten what I write in (usually a hard-boiled egg) but not always. It really has varied from ship to ship and even in sailings on the same ship. You are right about people who think that if they don't have the same experience you had, you must be lying or crazy or both. ;) I really am sorry your cruise was not up to expectations, and I certainly understand why you might be hesitant to try Princess again.

Sorry you got sick and didn't have a great experience. I agree about people telling you you're wrong, but I don't think someone sharing their different experience is rude, nor do I think it diminishes your experience. To me there's a difference, and while the first is unproductive, I think the second can be valuable.

Cruise Critic is so big and we're all so different that I think the only way I can determine if something's right for me is to read opinions AND contrary opinions. The sheer volume of people who had a different experience than you makes me think that either the ship/line just wasn't a good fit for you, or your personal details (whether they be illness, cabin choice, food selection, service, etc.) impacted your vacation. If I had been on your cruise or on the same ship at a different time, I wouldn't hesitate to let others know where I agreed or disagreed with what you posted. Sometimes the line between awful/great is as simple as the luck of the draw on wait staff or a cabin malfunction.

This is not correct. On my last several Princess cruises, I have enjoyed scrambled eggs and bacon, hot oatmeal, a delicious jalapeno omelet, ham and cheese omelet, and other treats (different days, of course). All simply written on the breakfast card and left on the stateroom door the night before. You are definitely NOT limited to the continental breakfast! :)

Totally agree, we always get a hot breakfast an never had a problem:D. We don't use the breakfast card but instead when we wake up we just call room service and place the order.

I've had four cruises aboard Emerald and all have been great even the last one when the ship was noticeably older than our first time when it was only three months old at the time.

Your illness was unfortunate and perhaps skewed your view of Princess. Being part of Carnival isn't a bad thing either.

You should give Regal or Royal a try before you condemn Princess to the trash heap.

I am so sorry u got ill. My husband got the norovirus years ago on a Panama Canal cruise, along with many other folks on ours sailing. It unfortunately skewed our enjoyment of the cruise.

I would think anytime someone got sick on a cruisr or had a cruise with really bad weather, their enjoyment factor would go way down, regardless of whose fault it was

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Sorry the OP didn't enjoy their cruise. We were on Emerald the last week of February and thought the ship looked great. All of the outdoor carpet was being replaced during the week. Our Caribe cabin was spotless. Princess just has a different vibe to it compared to RCCL and X, so perhaps just not to the OP's taste.

We just came the Emerald Princess as well. I am am sorry you had the enteritis problem - nothing takes the fun out of life like a bad case of "stomach flu" (whatever it was). DW and both came down with conjunctivitis (pink eye) and, when we went to the medical center, we found out it was really going around the ship (crew members were coming down with it as well). Dr. Schneider (who is fantastic by the way) and his crew fixed us up in short order.

We found the bar service very mediocre in that they were very unenthusiastic and slow about their jobs. The drinks were honest and well concocted to their credit. The MDR staff let some things slip between the cracks but, given how understaffed they are, I'm impressed that they do as well as they do. We found the service (and food) in Sabatini's and the Crown Grill excellent every night we dined there.

The food quality in the MDR is, and was, rather average to my taste. I'm not sure if this is due to any failing on their part or if it is the result of catering to a more Midwestern palate that prefers less spicy fare.

In any event, DW and I really enjoyed the cruise despite the few hiccups we experienced. Hopefully your next cruise (whoever it is with) will be better.

We got off the ship the day you got on. Except for the pink eye, this pretty much would be the exact same review I would give. I found nothing in disrepair. the bar in my shower was loose on the bottom I noticed one day, the very next day they had fixed it without my even calling them. I agree the dining room was hit or miss but overall great I guess. Sabatini's and a crown grill were excellent. as for room size, we always get a penthouse suite.no other cruise line compares in size to princesses suites. Serious bar issues, and I got exactly the same impression you did. As for the illness, a previous poster is right and that norovirus typically is a solid 24 hours and usually no more and most of the time someone living in very close quarters intimately would not escape it. Although food poisoning is extremely rare, a lot more rare than people think, Usually they have norovirus , it could have been. Not everyone will get food poisoning even if they eat the same thing.

Edited by Mrs.Gosse

• 3 weeks later...

We took our first Princess cruise on the Emerald during Texas Spring break. We had a great time. We compared the ship and service to other cruise lines and actually said they were better. We had our second balcony and I am hooked. Sorry you did not like the ship. I think sometimes people expect to much for what we pay.

We had a great time we booked again for After Thanksgiving and major deer season.

I'm sorry Princess doesn't work for OP. I love Princess and RCI. Each has different aspects that appeal to us, so we do both. Thoroughly enjoy Oceania and Cunard, again, for different reasons. Princess, along with Cunard, HAL, and others is owned by Carnival Corp, which also owns Carnival. They operate independently of each other. Princess to me gives the feeling of being on a ship, RCI feels more like a resort. It all depends on what floats your boat.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see the mostly positive reviews about the Emeraldas I am about to book a cruise at the end of August. I also like to check and see how old the ship is as well as the last time it was REFURBISHED! Easy enough to do. I understand that this is a sister ship to the Ruby which I absolutely loved more so than the new ship we just sailed in December! As other posters have indicated ~ everyone has a different opinion! Mostly, enjoy the fact that you can afford to take these wonderful trips!:D