How far ahead should you book your cruise?

tedcruise

My wife and I are planning a Mediterranean cruise in Sept 2016 for our 20th anniversary. We are still in the trying to figure out which Cruise Line and which ports phase of planning. My question is once we know what we want is it best to go ahead and book it? We are still a year and a half out from departure at this time and it seems a bit too early to me.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to booking so far in advanced?

As most cruise lines will give you a lower price if one comes along, and everything is refundable up to final payment (not true for citizens of all countries, but true in the US), there is very little downside to booking early.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We like to book a year or more in advance. We like to be able to pick the cabin we want. There's nothing to lose if you change your mind or cancel for a LONG time. Even the deposit is refundable at that point. We are planners. Usually, before one cruise ends, we have already decided that we need another cruise around the same time the following year. It's just a matter of deciding where and when. We've booked on-board during a cruise before, but now there's very little incentive on the cruise line we use. We transfer it to our TA if we book onboard.

I booked in January for May 2016. Got a cabin that is usually snatched up quickly so grabbed itwhen I saw it was available. Plus only $25pp deposit,OBC,free beverage package and tips included.If something comes up before final payment,I will just cancel it.

Laura

I tend to book our cruises at the last minute--after the final payment date. I watch prices of several cruises and don't fall in love with the idea of any particular one. We're also not picky about our cabin location and frequently will book a guarantee.

After you have determine your cruise line... you need to set your mind which Stateroom you want like suites, balcony. If you see the price is right or there is sale, book your stateroom.

This is from my experience. I book in November when there was sale and OBC, got a cabin which was my second choice. Then if you want your favorite cabin and it is not available. Keep checking back. The cabin will surely be available. It happen during our booking.. We didn't have a final stateroom until January when we got the hump balcony that we were craving for. I book late and in the end got a good deal from it. It depends you know

It all depends on whether you need a particular cabin which may sell out. My wife likes to be higher up and mid-aft, so we like to book sooner rather than later. We're just about to book later today for October 2016 to Japan because we've seen a good deal, and it's got the right cabins available.

We have always book with a year or more till sail away. We like to choose our stateroom....... If you have a stateroom you are happy with and don't want it to be changed, place a "Do Not Upgrade" because some of the upgrades are really not. They might put you in the same category but in a part of the ship that you would not like.

We booked in Feb for a cruise in Oct 2016. It was a good deal on a suite so we jumped on it with our FCC. Good perks and plenty of OBC after transferring it to a TA. This far out all suites have been sold out since the beginning of March.

I've been too anxious to wait for last-minute deals, and signed up early. So far, thar has worked out for us, for the reasons other posters have given--the cabin we wanted, the cruise we wanted, the ability to research the ports and arrange private excursions, plus we have been granted any special deals that were offered later on our cruises.

However, I would like to try another tactic! We would like to try to find a truly great price on a cruise just after final payment is due. We are most interested in a South Pacific/Australia journey, and time of year is unimportant for us retirees, so we can watch several possible cruises and cruise lines. BUT, how do you find getting airfares that late?