3 Women & A Daddy... Ditching the mega ships, for RCI's simpler side, with the kids!

Food:

Our service in the main dining room was lacking.

Our waiter was so nice, but he had 3 very large round tables and 2 4-tops.

I took note, he was working nonstop, sweating racing from table to table, it was just too much for he and his assistant to keep up with.

He was a nice man, trying hard, but he had no time to truly interact with us, because the was constantly trying to simply get the food down and back up again.

What upset me was that the head waiter just stood there watching, talking on the phone and doing absolutely nothing, when this guy really needed a helping hand.

Head waiter didn’t come and take shrimp or lobster out of the shell…. but did check on the girls.

When I told him how much we loved our waiter but we felt he had to many tables, he proceeds to tell me how there are 2-thousand people aboard, and it’s a busy ship, and everyone works hard. I wanted be be like, sir, this is like my 15th cruise, I know how it works. The man just has too many tables…

we started visiting our waiter for lunch in the dining room, requesting his table, and it was a much different experience.

17126070555_c927e8b6e7_c.jpg

Lets face it, we had 2 interesting dining companions. One who loved to eat and throw food everywhere, and the other who you have to force-feed mac & cheese, pizza, chicken nuggets and things other kids love.

We met a sweet couple from the next table over who loved the girls and would come and play and talk to us and them each night.

I also have to say late night dining was surprising on Serenade. There’s no place to eat after dinner, and if you did early seating like we did oh that’s rough.

I didn’t want to do room service because, kids would be asleep, but wanted to just go and get a snack. There was always something in Solarium Bistro, but it was literally hamburgers one night, hotdogs the next, then hamburgers again. back to hot dogs.

During the day Solarium Bistro rocked with great sandwiches and salads… Windjammer was predictable, but overall good quality.

Now there’s food and then there’s specialty dining.

Speciality Dining is almost like it’s own category…..

Chef’s Table…

single handedly the best dining experience I’ve had on any ship ever, and almost on any restaurant ever.

Some of you may remember, I was nervous about booking it, because the wife doesn’t eat seafood at all, and I don’t eat lamb.

I was worried we’d be too difficult and too much of a pain. But it was my birthday and I wanted to do something new, special, unique.

Well, imagine my surprise when we showed up for Chef’s table and there were only 3 other couples there. We had less than half the table to ourselves.

It was a very small and intimate dining experience with some great new friends.

Bento runs chef table, and this man is amazing! He got our WOW card. His service was impeccable, demeanor amazing, and he made us all feel so welcome.

I was all worried about not booking over the the seafood in lamb.

Well another woman in our group also didn’t eat seafood, and count it, only 2 of us were willing to try the lamb. It was filet mignon for most of us.

No problem.

In addition to the Chef who came out and discussed each dish and how he prepared it we were also visited by the head chef of the speciality restaurants. He popped in, and spoke with us all for nearly an hour.

He was awesome, talking about his life in Jamaica, his family, how he wound up on Serenade.

He knew the private beach where Michelle and I were married, it was just so cool, how much time he devoted to us, and the group truly enjoyed speaking with him.

Bento told us, how RCI wanted to move him to the new ships to launch Chef’s table, but he loves Serenade. Says the staff, management, and the ship are perfect for him, it is his home and he goes where the company sends him, but he always asks to come home to Serenade, and to Chef’s Table.

Bento is the epitome for Royal Caribbean…. smart, service oriented, caring, nothing is a problem, and he loves his job and his work family. He made our night.

Giovanni’s Table…

I’ll just say I miss Portofino. I didn’t have as good of an experience here. Food was ok… it felt on par with the dining room. Ok, the meat was much better quality than the dining room, but that was about it.

It was a nice dinner out for my wife and I, and service was ok, but not memorable.

Chops…

By far, the best chops I’ve been to.

Let me tell you, I love my fatty flavorful ribeye and I haven’t been a happy camper since they took it off the menu. I skipped chops on my last cruise because of it.

Well, boy am I glad I swapped izumi reservation for Chops the last night of the cruise.

At first things weren’t looking so good...

We brought Priscilla along with us. We thought we should treat her out to a nice dinner out with us. She’s a good kid, she knows how to behave in a nice restaurant, we had seen kids in chops and GIovanni’s all week.

And she was well behaved, but Chops just wasn’t for her.

We got the kids menu, there wasn’t a single thing on there she would eat. Now, she’s a picky eater, it was no fault of the restaurant, we can barely find her food.

So, I requested a grilled cheese and fries for her. Surely, they could do that?

No.

The server said No, she couldn’t make that happen.

I was surprised, shocked even.

We contemplated what to do. I was going to take her up to the windjammer quickly and then to adventure ocean, but my wife tried hard to convince her to try something else.

Well, I looked at the menu again.

They have cheese burgers on the menu, cheeseburgers and fries. I looked at my wife, “Why the heck can’t we just get a plain cheeseburger, without the meat??” It’s bread it’s cheese, it’s fries, its exactly what we asked for.

I asked the server and she looked surprised, and was like, well yeah we can do that.

Um… ok

lol

16938493710_9406af8007_c.jpg

We visited Chops our last night as we were sailing through the oil rigs headed back toward the mouth of the river, everyone wanted to see those things, and the gulf of mexico, which was like glass…. but murky glass. The water was still, but it was clear as day this is where the BP oil rig has spilled. The water just did not look right, it looked off. It depressed me to think our need for oil is ruining the beautiful ocean out there.

Still the setting sun and the shiny water made for a unique view.

17124518942_e65385fa6b_c.jpg

P got her grilled cheese during our appetizers, and then dessert of course… I decided to free her from our fancy dinner at that point, she was started to talk a little loudly.

I brought her to adventure ocean.

Upon my return an older couple and a couple our age were seated next to us. They were having an extremely pricey bottle of Caymus, and the young woman in the group seemed like she had had several more earlier.

She was 5 times louder than Priscilla.

But even she didn’t disrupt the filet set before me. Amazingly seasoned and prepared, it was the best steak I had in a very very long time.

In fact, I’ve been to 3 very nice steak houses since I’ve been home and nothing’s come close.

My wife was like, why haven’t we eaten here all week.

I think it was the same filet from Chef’s Table, but only this time I didn’t have a ton of wine in me so I could enjoy it more. :-)

It was a wonderful meal. One of the best ever.

We visited Chops our last night as we were sailing through the oil rigs headed back toward the mouth of the river, everyone wanted to see those things, and the gulf of mexico, which was like glass…. but murky glass. The water was still, but it was clear as day this is where the BP oil rig has spilled. The water just did not look right, it looked off. It depressed me to think our need for oil is ruining the beautiful ocean out there.

Still the setting sun and the shiny water made for a unique view.

That was an awesome sunset that evening but I agree that the water wasn't much to look at that night. We sat by the window the first night as we chugged down the Mississippi and it was pretty interesting.

You left the most awesome part of your visit: getting to see Me! LOL

But even she didn’t disrupt the filet set before me. Amazingly seasoned and prepared, it was the best steak I had in a very very long time.

In fact, I’ve been to 3 very nice steak houses since I’ve been home and nothing’s come close.

My wife was like, why haven’t we eaten here all week.

I wanted to try that filet since the wife bragged about it so much but after having that dry aged porterhouse on the 1st night I just had to have it again on the last night. You should have tried one. ;)

We can both agree though that the steaks were awesome there.

A little odd to hear that the waiter was giving you grief at first regarding the grilled cheese. We had Robertas (not your waiter) and I honestly believe that guy would have jumped in the ocean and stabbed a shark for us had we asked. He had an interesting story about his land and house back home in Lithuania and was just an awesome guy. He also told us how the waiters in Chops have to go through Windjammer then MDR first and the best/highest rated ones get the opportunity to go to the specialty restaurants. (note: if they do not keep high ratings they get sent back "down" to MDR)

Bento runs chef table, and this man is amazing! He got our WOW card. His service was impeccable, demeanor amazing, and he made us all feel so welcome.

Bento is amazing, isn't he? He talked us into trying the Chef's Table in February - we were hesitant after two less than stellar experiences on Rhapsody, but we had fabulous food (the wine was meh) and he put on a great show for us. Almost as good as the show our table put on for him!:eek::D

So, I requested a grilled cheese and fries for her. Surely, they could do that?

No.

The server said No, she couldn’t make that happen.

I was surprised, shocked even.

We contemplated what to do. I was going to take her up to the windjammer quickly and then to adventure ocean, but my wife tried hard to convince her to try something else.

Well, I looked at the menu again.

They have cheese burgers on the menu, cheeseburgers and fries. I looked at my wife, “Why the heck can’t we just get a plain cheeseburger, without the meat??” It’s bread it’s cheese, it’s fries, its exactly what we asked for.

I asked the server and she looked surprised, and was like, well yeah we can do that.

Um… ok

lol

That sounds like something out of Five Easy Pieces (Google it; way before your time).

Edited by critterchick

It's so much fun reliving it all through this review! You have the sweetest family & we really enjoyed watching y'all on the ship. You're right, Priscilla was the superstar of the ship! She is soooo cute & just as well behaved! Both of your girls are even prettier in person! Thank you for doing this review. I agree it was a wonderful week with a wonderful crew. We will really miss her in NO! She has always been one of my favorites & like you, I love the mega ships. But there is something so charming about the Serenade & I just love her crew! I've NEVER had bad service on board her. We even had a small issue with the A/C for the first two days. (which turned out to be another thermostat with the heat turned all the way up:rolleyes:) But they brought us a fan & let us keep it the entire week. They even gave us a 15% discount on our next cruise for our inconvenience! I was shocked! It really was not a big deal but everyone was soooo helpful! I board the Liberty in two weeks for the first time & I hope the crew is as wonderful. Although I've never been on a bad cruise!;) Maybe not perfect but certainly not bad! But I believe vacation is a state of mind & I'm there to have a good time. Hope your travel home was uneventful & you all are doing well. Maybe our travel paths will cross again in the future.

Grand Cayman:

16508707233_9875613840_c.jpg

I have often proclaimed this as my favorite place on earth. Never have I seen water so clear, clean and perfect.

Serenade dropped anchored and we tendered over to the port. My Oh My Oh My….

16939921709_7ee15436de_c.jpg

For anyone who’s waited on tenders on a mega ship you know the process can be daunting at times. This was where Serenade really shined for us.

On the tender in no time —— and on the island in no time.

Smaller ship, less, people easy transfers it was amazing!

I’ve been visiting here for almost 20 years now. and am very fortunate to have made friends with Sharon Ebanks, owner of Nativway watersports. She’s very popular on cruise critic. I met Sharon when she had literally just moved to the islands. Sharon worked in NYC and had a successful career. She came to Grand Cayman on vacation and fell in love in 2 ways, with the island and a tour guide there named Eldon. She quit her job, moved there, and opened a small tour company taking you to see the stingrays. Eldon knew the water well, Sharon knew business savvy and with just 1 or 2 boats they started a business that has blossomed.

Some of you know I’m a journalist for the local TV station in my area. I shared Sharon’s story with my colleagues and she was featured in some stories about stingrays and the islands.

We’ve been friends and customers from day1, I always book with her and bring a gaggle of friends. Even our wedding we chartered one of Sharon’s boats and brought friends and family for an amazing day around the island which other than my wife and I tying the knot we were told by many was the highlight of the cruise.

So, when I emailed Sharon this time — and told her I didn’t want to do the stingray tour she was surprised.

We had the baby, and Priscilla was afraid last time, we wanted to do something different.

Sharon helped us.

Let me again remind you…. this was special for us. She DOES NOT do this for her business.

Sharon came and picked us up, in her own car. We told her, we wanted a day at the beach, but didn’t want to go with the crowds to 7 mile beach. We love Rum Point, where she sends people on her tours, but we wanted to skip the stingrays and the boat ride.

So Sharon drove us the 40 minutes from the pier to Rum Point Beach.

Safety Seats again….. we brought a small booster for Priscilla, and Sharon had a car seat waiting for us in the car for the baby.

17128857675_747734dea8_c.jpg

We arrived at Rum Point, had lunch, and enjoyed the beach.

It was a bit more crowded than usual. Disney had a ship in port and apparently they sold excursion’s here.

Sharon and I both were surprised by the crowds but it was fine.

17102908456_31632281e6_c.jpg

We let the girls swim and play.

Cailyn enjoyed eating sand… yep! We kept trying to stop her, but she’s at that age everything goes in the mouth.

We met some nice people from other ships and just enjoyed a leisurely day at Rum Point.

Eventually the tour arrived. it’s Sharon’s tour we didn’t take, but suggested for our friends from cruise critic,

We met up with our friends and heard they loved Sharon’s tour so far. I knew they would be in good hands.

We all swam and snorkeled before it was time to go.

Sharon had us hop on the boat and catch a ride back with the tour.

17128233111_3fc24be0e9_c.jpg

The tour guide Chris, was the same guy who led our charter for our wedding, so we were happy to see him again. He hugged my family like we were old friends, and of course let Priscilla take the wheel and drive the boat back, she was in heaven.

16942677879_1a768f8c69_c.jpg

Cailyn enjoyed the water and kept squealing and lunging for it, She was having a ball enjoying the music and relaxing ride back.

Sharon met the boat back at the pier, we were going to ride the bus back with everyone but she decided to pick us up, baby seats and all.

We gave her the bottle of champagne Priscilla won, as our thank you, and shared lots of hugs and were so happy to have her.

I can’t say enough about her tour and hospitality. We’ve been loyal customers, who simply shared our good experience with others, and sent her referrals.

We didn’t know her any other way.

but after years of repeat business, she called us and treated us like family.

Back at the pier, lines were long for the two Carnival mega ships in port, but man Serenade, was no wait…. just walk right onto the tender and a quick trip back on board.

Absolutely loving this review! Your girls are absolutely adorable and your pictures are amazing! Voyager class is the smallest 7 night cruise ship we have sailed on RCCL. Now you have me very interested in this class ship. Can't wait to read the rest! Wanda

Cozumel

16942676369_0af5169c9a_c.jpg

Woke up in the morning as we backed into the pier in Cozumel alongside Oasis, who had been our berthing buddy in Falmouth as well.

Even after you’ve sailed that sucker multiple times you’re still in owe of it’s size, Its just such a massive ship.

17124510542_6a93948fcc_c.jpg

Today was our “unplanned”day. We were going to just wander the area near the pier and head back on the ship. Mainly again because of car seats. Last time we were in Cozumel, we shared an large van with another family. The driver was taking us to Chankanaab and if you’ve ever been, it’s that long one lane road from the pier. Well, the car in front of us wasn’t going fast enough, So she gets in the lane of oncoming traffic and starts going at least 85-mph trying to overtake it and 2 cars in front of it as we could see cars approaching in the distance. None of our kids are in car seats and me and the other father lose it and start hitting the seats and roof of the van ordering her to stop. She said nothing kept overtaking the cars, got back over and then stayed a normal speed.

After that my wife insisted “no more cozumel taxis”

16508706863_38dc136303_c.jpg

So we took our time getting dressed, and with breakfast in the dining room. We talked a bit and since the Mrs. was disappointed by our short beach days in the past two islands (both really did fly by) she really wanted more time at the beach.

So, I talked her into trying another taxi, promising her I would make every effort with the taxi dispatcher to get a safe driver. She agreed. and we did.

Arrived at Chankanaab and got what I thought was a pretty good deal to get in, for walk up day of.

We found us a spot on the beach and began Our Snorkel, Sand, & Sip.

16938276458_5325a0a5f4_c.jpgd

Beachside waiter helped us get chairs for everyone and kept the Dos Equis coming cold and fresh for me.

Michelle and Priscilla went snorkeling

Cailyn enjoyed playing in the sand.

It was a nice relaxing, stress free day. We got out there about 10:30 and stayed until 3ish.

16941069528_fbf9549809_c.jpg

17128856305_fbbc641b72_c.jpg

Great beach side waiter kept awesome food and drinks coming for everyone. Every time I started to worry about how much we were spending, he’d just bring another cold beer and I sat back in my chair and said…. “it’s our last island on vacation.”

The downs of the day, a family of smokers…. mom, dad, and 3 teenagers/college kids who all smoked, came and sat right next to us. and the wind carried their smoke directly in my face and the babies. I was like seriously. Ugh, we were settled, everything was perfect, until this. It it were me I would just put up with it, but I don’t want my 1-year old breathing in 5 people’s smoke.

Just as I began packing everything up, the two ladies from the massage tent came and offered them a great deal, they took it, and ALL THEIR STUFF. Another family showed up and took their place. Yay!!!!!

There was also a large family in front of us, which my wife and I jokingly pointed out were on Carnival ships, who were on a family vacation. About 4 -women in the group who i think were sisters in their 30’s or so. They were loaded and began talking about their sex lives, and what they wanted and needed. They flipped at one point because they “lost” their baby in the water, and started screaming. I stood up and reminded them that he had to go to the bathroom and while they told him to “whip it out and go right there” He actually walked to the bathroom area with his uncle.

They laughed and offered to buy me a drink.

I said no thank you.

17124510722_33d330a970_c.jpg

This day really gave us our fill, the girls snorkeled repeatedly, the water was a little too cold for me. Made me want to come back in the fall after the summer temps had a chance to raise the temps a little bit.

Never mentioned this before, but our 1-year old was NOT walking yet when we got on board. We tried so hard to get her mobile before the ship, but she just had no interest. We just gave up, well apparently she just had sea legs. After about 24 hours on board, she started walking, and was doing better and better each day. By Cozumel she was a walking fool. So she enjoyed wandering around the beach getting into everything….

16503622144_b93fcd0fa9_c.jpg

Some advice…

Bring cash, the food is cash only and navigating the Mexican ATM’s is no fun.

Don’t do the ship’s tour. It cost significantly more than we paid, and they swam literally right next to us at the park. We did the same thing for a fraction of the cost.

Cab drivers were safer, just make a serious point in the very beginning that you want very slow and careful driving.

17125427511_0d2da91c38_c.jpg

We got back on board in enough time to watch the drunks run back aboard. There is now a Señor Frogs right at the pier where the ships dock and the party music from that and DJ could be clearly from our balcony. It’s so funny, because I have so many memories of that place…. back in my college days, wandering back to the ship with yard stick drinks in hand and some girls I met. Or even from Michelle and I’s single where we had lunch and did the conga line and then went and explored town. On our way back to the ship she asked me to wait while she went back inside to go to the bathroom. 20 minutes later I go in to see what’s going on, and she’s in the conga line.

Now, we just listen from the balcony, and change diapers and tell knock knock jokes, and it’s just as good.

16941069328_3b8051eec6_c.jpg

I believe this was the night onboard of the 70’s disco party. man oh man, what fun.

We had seats in the centrum before it began by coincidence and it turned out to be an awesome show. The Royal Caribbean singers and dancers put on a great show with lots of awesome music. They did a great job. As did our cruise director Carly B.

One of the members of our cruise critic roll call had a daughter who was one of the singers and dancers. She was brought into the show. The “village people” stole her and put her in the glass elevators. It was a lot of fun.

16942662599_c87c5e2dcc_c.jpg

Cailyn was at the nursery this night, and we were having so much fun, we didn’t want to go pick her up at our assigned time. We called up there and asked if it were OK if we were a little longer and we were encouraged to stay as long as we like, that Cailyn was sound asleep and they were just fine. So, we had our first late late night out. Like after 10pm!!

We were rebels, I guess the jealousy of the Señor Frogs kids set in.

Anyway, it was a great little party.

Afterwards Michelle got the baby and I went to get P.

The after hours Adventure Ocean, was in the arcade that night. I signed P out, and then stayed and played air hockey with her. Then she wanted a snack, so we hit up the Solarium Bistro which also was packed, I guess everyone came up there after the dance party.

They really need a second late night food venue.

16508691903_db2d56d298_c.jpg

We got our snack, and passed the Movie’s under the Stars, it was Paddington. Now we had already watched it “under the stars” one night earlier that week, but she wanted to see it again. I said OK, it was near the end. So, we sat and watched enjoying a little daddy/daughter date night time.

The wife was wondering why it was taking more than an hour to pick her up from Adventure Ocean, but thankfully she didn’t worry.

Off to sleep before our last day onboard.

I believe this was the night onboard of the 70’s disco party. man oh man, what fun.

We had seats in the centrum before it began by coincidence and it turned out to be an awesome show. The Royal Caribbean singers and dancers put on a great show with lots of awesome music. They did a great job. As did our cruise director Carly B.

One of the members of our cruise critic roll call had a daughter who was one of the singers and dancers. She was brought into the show. The “village people” stole her and put her in the glass elevators. It was a lot of fun.

One of the members of our cruise critic roll call (YOU!) had a daughter (Priscilla) who was in a pirate show in the centrum an hour or two before the 70s party. We waved at her (as she was only about 5 feet away from us) but she was not entertaining any distractions as she was in full pirate show mode. LOL

Unfortunately you guys missed that. :( We didn't have have cameras/phones on us or we would have got a picture/video for you.

We didn't miss it Carl, We were one deck up watching from above....

I was in full Daddy mode, getting video!!

Ah, my bad. Glad you got to see it.

I know they started up a deck or two because we heard the chanting and everything well before they showed up in the centrum. We knew something was going on, but was not quite sure until they got down there.

Fantastic review, wonderful family! I love your observation about changing diapers and knock knock jokes...and you seem to be the type to realize those days are numbered as well. Our kids are now in their 20s, and we have a granddaughter, but family vacations will always be the best "memory makers"!

I just wanted to chime in about Sharon and Nativeway. We found them on our cruise in 2008, and loved it so much we did it again in 2011. We had Chris as our guide both times, and for the second cruise, the van going back to the ship was a little crowded, so Sharon drove us back to the port herself. It was so lovely to talk to her on the ride. Interestingly, Rum Point was also much more crowded that trip as well, because of a Disney excursion. I guess the secret is out!

Thanks again for such a great review!

Edited by subtchr

All & All we had a wonderful trip, it was that whole “house versus “home” line.

The ship itself didn’t wow us like Oasis or Freedom did, but she’s clearly their little sister and has enough wow.

but the cruise was amazing.

The staff, the fellow guests, the group from cruise critic. Once we all got settled it became our “home” we felt like we knew so many people on board, we were one big vacationing family, and that was a big change from the mega ships.

We sailed back through the oil rugs of the Gulf with Carnival’s Elation. It was fun because one of Priscilla’s best friend from kindergarten was onboard the Elation and she got a kick knowing she was sailing right next to us, then behind us on the trip up river.

My wife stayed up this time to watch us hit the river and sail up the mouth. Priscilla got a rare late night treat and got to watch too, it’s so foggy and mysterious. We loved the trip up.

But the next morning was met with pure pouty lips and disappointment.

17100108306_faa5d71a84_c.jpg

17100108216_b5267bbea8_c.jpg

I was begged to buy another week onboard, sell my car if I had to, do whatever it takes, but my girls did not want to get off the ship.

Getting luggage was simple and easy, my aunt picked us up at the pier and said traffic was much better than she expected, even with Carnival’s elation there too.

We stopped to say goodbye to family in New Orleans and hit the highway back to Tennessee. Everyone loved our week away and you always go through blues after the cruise, but my wife instantly started a savings jar on the kitchen counter for the next one.

Priscilla wore her seapass to school every single day for about 2-3 weeks after we got back. Serenade of the Seas definitely is our family ship. Thanks for following along.

17110547008_0ddc8f6767_c.jpg