3 Women & A Daddy... Ditching the mega ships, for RCI's simpler side, with the kids!

You must be in cabin 1100 on your next cruise. We were in 1602 and LOVED IT!

Yes! It will be our second time in that cabin......best cabin we have ever had to date ☺️ I have heard great things about 1602 as well. You just can't beat the AFT on Radiance class!

Edited by fish6

Enjoying your review, and looking forward to more! We love Radiance-class ships, and have sailed on all four of them. We especially enjoyed our Serenade cruise out of NOLA last year.....probably one of our favorite vacays--Serenade cruise AND 5 days in NOLA, a great combination.....(still daydreaming about amazing meals at Commander's Palace and those killer charbroiled oysters at Acme Oyster House......sigh.....sigh.....sigh)

And BTW, your family is beautiful! Smart parents to get the kids hooked early:)

Edited by KeywestK

Thanks for your review! Great pictures! We have not sailed RCI in many years but are sailing the brilliance next year with lots of family....will have one three year old grandson with us and two teenagers...alsong with lots of adults of all ages:eek: I am excited to sail the Brilliance..we usually do Hal or Carnival...

Looking forward to the rest of your review:):):)

Yes! It will be our second time in that cabin......best cabin we have ever had to date ☺️ I have heard great things about 1602 as well. You just can't beat the AFT on Radiance class!

Other than the crn aft on Vision 8088 and her twin Rhapsody; only true wraps!

e7a8dbcc5069ba943e30807aa03e1c27.jpg014440c9c55cf21282f26a7b6915a849.jpg

Private table and dinner for 2 anyone? 5954eaebf72071a67f0cd3756d29f68e.jpg

Luv, luv, luv!

Thanks everyone

My wife is majorly addicted to the aft cabin now. I picked our next cruise already and she's not quite as jazzed because all the afts are gone.

Yes we did bring the umbrella stroller, we only used it on excursion's never around the ship, and to be honest. We didn't use it on excursion's much.

My wife is really into "baby carrying" where you just strap the kid to your back. It worked great.

I usually complain at how much those baby carriers cost, so I'm not usually a fan, but I even carried her one day and really enjoyed it.

I also agree, Serenade and New Orleans are a great combo. I hope they put a ship back there soon.

It's a one interstate trip for us. Very easy, and New Orleans is a great city to play in pre/post cruise.

You always can count on a good meal and some kinda party going on.

Two Sea Days:

We were nervous about booking Serenade, because we had the 1-year old. We knew there were less activities on this ship for kids so we figured we’d be spending more time than normal by the pool. But the 1-year old couldn’t get in the pool because she’s not potty trained so what do we do????

17128234111_68670bcd60_c.jpg

Thanks to cruise critic, many of you suggested I get a small inflatable pool and sit on the pool deck.

Let me tell you, that thing was a mess to blow up. I meant to bring a pump but forgot it. So I sat there and huffed and puffed for almost an hour.

17102912036_248cde103e_c.jpg16941334130_76a95b8c08_c.jpg

17102911636_e437bb9f91_c.jpg

Thank you cruise critic for the idea…. Well… At First.

Drama came.

Blowing up the pool and filling it with water was relatively painless, but emptying it was a huge mess.

Cruise critic users told me to pour it down the drains around the pool deck.

I placed the pool close to one for easy access, and near a wet floor sign.

But one of the ship photographers, who was selling stuff at a table said no, and directed me to a larger drain about 7 feet away.

So, I listened, dragged the pool there and poured it into the drain.

Big mistake

The drain was a long and skinny grate that ran about 5 feet long across the pool deck. Well I pour water in the grate on one end and expected it to go away… but as water got to the other end of the grate it bubbled right back out and onto the pool deck where people were laying out next to the pool.

One woman had her iPad on the deck floor next to her lounger. It was in a protective case, but the case got wet and she was livid with me.

I apologized profusely, and offered to go to my room and get cash to cover the purchase of a new iPad.

She said no, and that she knew I didnt do it on purpose. But she wanted to lecture me a bit more. I politely listened, apologized repeatedly, and yet again offered to buy her another iPad.

Well, that started a debate. Another couple sitting nearby grabbed my shirt and tried to pull me away. The wife said I shouldn’t pay her, that it was silly of her to bring an iPad to the pool and sit it on the floor where teens were running back and forth, the deck was wet, and there were wet floor signs everywhere. The husband said the iPad wasn’t wet, it was functioning everything was there, the case appeared to do it’s job, and that should be it.

I guess they could see I felt horrible over the situation.

Another couple also chimed in and said, my offer was generous, I apologized, tried to make it better, and the woman just was trying to make me feel bad.

I still felt, she lay there confident her device would be safe. I didn’t want to ruin her vacation.

I got a pen and paper to write our contact info, in case she changed her mind. I know she didn’t expect some moron to empty a pool, and put water on the floor, even if she was next to the pool.

She said I really needed to be careful, she was very agitated. I understand she could have lost data on there, or whatever the case may be, but I just didn’t know how else to make it right to her.

In the end she didn’t take the money or contact info.

I’ve never felt so badly about something I caused.

I don’t want to paint the woman as being rude. She was upset, and rightfully so. I just couldn’t rewind life, all I could do was try to fix it as best I can. If by chance she's on here. I still feel awful, and my offers still stand.

So…. parents, take my advice! If you do bring the small inflatable pool. be mindful of this…. you may want to empty the water out by the same “bucket” you use to fill it.

I got a drink, returned the pool to the room where it was never to be used again, and went to the windjammer for some cake…. I was entitled. It was my birthday actually! lol

So far I have only read the first post here. But I am excited. My 2 year old has already cruised 5 times. We're just a travelin family. :) I love to read about other families with young children.

Your family is adorable and I can't wait to read more!

Edited by smileyperry

Love your review so far, especially the "pool" pictures. :o Sorry you had to have such an unpleasant encounter at the beginning of your journey....sounds to me like you were more than apologetic. For what it's worth, I wouldn't leave an iPad laying around on any pool deck--seems like a recipe for disaster!

Looking forward to more! Thanks for sharing your cruise with us :):)

Cshgrand, I did the slide with my daughter... she was too tiny on her own. She is a picky eater and a little twig. Of course her father could use his stomach stapled.... so as I went down the slide with her I got stuck. I tried everything to go faster. No luck we kept getting stuck.

But hey, you do what you do to make your girls happy!

Too funny happened to me and my wife with our then 3yo on the brilliance as well. 😃

My wife and the baby were napping in the room during sail away so the big girl and I went to the pool bar where she wanted something “cherry flavored to drink”. No cherry mix, so we went with a strawberry daiquiri with a million cherries on top.

17126047515_cea2362b44_s.jpg

Somehow this all seems so familiar. :)

One woman had her iPad on the deck floor next to her lounger. It was in a protective case, but the case got wet and she was livid with me.

I apologized profusely, and offered to go to my room and get cash to cover the purchase of a new iPad.

She said no, and that she knew I didnt do it on purpose. But she wanted to lecture me a bit more. I politely listened, apologized repeatedly, and yet again offered to buy her another iPad.

Well, that started a debate. Another couple sitting nearby grabbed my shirt and tried to pull me away. The wife said I shouldn’t pay her, that it was silly of her to bring an iPad to the pool and sit it on the floor where teens were running back and forth, the deck was wet, and there were wet floor signs everywhere. The husband said the iPad wasn’t wet, it was functioning everything was there, the case appeared to do it’s job, and that should be it.

I guess they could see I felt horrible over the situation.

Another couple also chimed in and said, my offer was generous, I apologized, tried to make it better, and the woman just was trying to make me feel bad.

I still felt, she lay there confident her device would be safe. I didn’t want to ruin her vacation.

I got a pen and paper to write our contact info, in case she changed her mind. I know she didn’t expect some moron to empty a pool, and put water on the floor, even if she was next to the pool.

She said I really needed to be careful, she was very agitated. I understand she could have lost data on there, or whatever the case may be, but I just didn’t know how else to make it right to her.

In the end she didn’t take the money or contact info.

I’ve never felt so badly about something I caused.

I don’t want to paint the woman as being rude. She was upset, and rightfully so. I just couldn’t rewind life, all I could do was try to fix it as best I can. If by chance she's on here. I still feel awful, and my offers still stand.

So…. parents, take my advice! If you do bring the small inflatable pool. be mindful of this…. you may want to empty the water out by the same “bucket” you use to fill it.

I got a drink, returned the pool to the room where it was never to be used again, and went to the windjammer for some cake…. I was entitled. It was my birthday actually! lol

The way you handled that whole situation just shows what a gentleman you are ... you truly went above and beyond to make things right to the woman.

And I can see from your pics here and from reading all you did to make sure your girls were happy on their vacation that you're a class act all the way.

Oh ... and Happy Belated Birthday!

Best report I've read in a long, long time !!

Edited by F27TW

Absolutely loving your review. I kept smiling the whole time I was reading your posts except for the lady (who needs to chill). Sounds like you are an amazing dad and husband. Your children are so precious.

Kathy:)

I think it was very kind of you to offer that woman a new iPad, but I do agree with your wife that bringing an iPad and laying it on a pool deck is foolish. I know that ignorance is supposed to be blissful, but I think people a few notches about complete ignorance are not happy because they continually do dumb things that creates problems for themselves.

"Gee, I think I will wear my fine jewelry when I go scuba diving instead of locking up in the cabin safe..." :)

Edited by saraet4464

I think it was very kind of you to offer that woman a new iPad, but I do agree with your wife that bringing an iPad and laying it on a pool deck is foolish. I know that ignorance is supposed to be blissful, but I think people a few notches about complete ignorance are not happy because they continually do dumb things that creates problems for themselves.

"Gee, I think I will wear my fine jewelry when I go scuba diving instead of locking up in the cabin safe..." :)

Ding ding ding ding. We have a winner. There is a lady that I work with who is on about the same level. She makes the dumbest decisions REPEATEDLY, never learns from them, does the same stupid move again, then whines and cries for a pity party from all of her coworkers. I've even told her that maybe her life wouldn't suck if she would quit doing the same dumb things over and over repeatedly. As we say at work, even duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can make it quieter.

Kids on Radiance Class ships:

Nope, there’s no carousel, no dream works characters, no ice skating, no water park, no splash pool for kids in diapers, no johnny rockets, candy store, pets at sea or any that.

And this was by far my 6-year old’s favorite ship.

Adventure Ocean’s program was amazing. We kept trying to explain to our daughter that she couldn’t go there at 8am and stay until 10pm. I mean she had to see us some time or another.

16939885919_32e0d0947f_c.jpg

Still her little highlighter was busy. She wanted to do everything they offered.

One night Adventure Ocean “took over the ship” the kids marched onto the stage before the evening show chanting how they ship was now theres. My daughter LOVED being on stage.

16938532090_5aa9b237dd_c.jpg

I really can’t say enough about the staff on this ship. Simply Amazing.

From the stateroom attendants (not just our own) who would run out from cleaning a room to greet my girls in the hallway and talk to them about their day to the senior officer who stopped and talked to my 6-year old every time he saw her… and sent her chocolate covered strawberries to our cabin for his “new BFF” Even is her sister like them more, the gesture was awesome. The staff was amazing.

16938286328_b4de8a8f39_c.jpg

16505922063_c22a06783b_c.jpg

One morning there was a class for a “flash mob” in the centrum and the instructor saw my daughter eagerly watching and not only invited her to join, but made the whole song/number center around my daughter. I’ll spare you the video... unless you really want to see. But after her little performance everyone knew her onboard the ship

Well is was after her performance, and after her photo was on about every wall of the photo gallery on the ship.

16938524090_b15e0e7dc3_c.jpg

We literally had more than 70 photos to choose from at the end of the cruise, because my little wanna be superstar also became friends with all the shipboard photographers, and yes, I mean ALL OF THEM. She loves taking photos and is a little ham, in addition to being photogenic. So all the photographers just fell in love with her, and the feeling was mutual. She literally thought she was a supermodel.

We would leave dinner and they would beckon her over, "Priscilla, Priscilla!" she would pose and pose and they LOVED it as much as she did.

They were all on display in the gallery... and with her curly wild hair in the caribbean humidity.... everyone knew her as the curly hair girl.

and of course the pictures we just HAD to have, I don't even know where they are right now to show you. lol

But taking photos.... that was a favorite past time for my little one.