Nasty comment from staff

thatdarnpunk

Hi all,

We are just back from the silhouette western caribbean. It was our first cruise and overall we had a great time. The ship is beautiful and food was great. The constant nickling and diming was so annoying and we joked that we wished there was a "do not disturb" add on we could purchase [emoji3].

Anyway, my only other complaint relates to the bar staff who were at times very rude. One comment has lingered on my mind over the past few days. At the sail away party, I ordered my first drink and tipped the bartender a single or two. She held the single up the rest of the bartenders and mockingly said "oh look guys you were worried they weren't tipping us? Here's a single - this will go far." and then proceeded to roll her eyes. [emoji53] I'm not easily offended and I know these people work very hard but I thought this was very uncalled for. I read that singles were a customary tip (We had already Prepaid gratuities), but maybe we should be tipping in 5 dollar increments now?

Anyway, just wanted to share and see if anyone else ever had a similar experience. Again, Great cruise and awesome new friends-but these kind of interactions are somewhat frustrating. But I'm sure there are employees like this everywhere.

Hi all,

We are just back from the silhouette western caribbean. It was our first cruise and overall we had a great time. The ship is beautiful and food was great. The constant nickling and diming was so annoying and we joked that we wished there was a "do not disturb" add on we could purchase [emoji3].

Anyway, my only other complaint relates to the bar staff who were at times very rude. One comment has lingered on my mind over the past few days. At the sail away party, I ordered my first drink and tipped the bartender a single or two. She held the single up the rest of the bartenders and mockingly said "oh look guys you were worried they weren't tipping us? Here's a single - this will go far." and then proceeded to roll her eyes. [emoji53] I'm not easily offended and I know these people work very hard but I thought this was very uncalled for. I read that singles were a customary tip (We had already Prepaid gratuities), but maybe we should be tipping in 5 dollar increments now?

Anyway, just wanted to share and see if anyone else ever had a similar experience. Again, Great cruise and awesome new friends-but these kind of interactions are somewhat frustrating. But I'm sure there are employees like this everywhere.

What? The 18% gratuity wasn't enough for them? If that's the attitude then give them nothing and drink at a different bar for the rest of the cruise.

For the record I rarely tip bar staff beyond the automatic gratuities and I've never encountered that attitude. That is just unacceptable.

Easy way to eliminate that is don't TIP extra. We never do and still received great service. They even remember us from previous crusies, welcome us back and still give us great service., many times above and beyond.

Prepaid gratuities doesn't cover the 18% gratuity that is added onto the drinks. If you had a drink pack it was included.

There has to be more to this story that isn't being told. I have never witnessed anything like that.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Edited by miched

While I agree that comment is very unprofessional, I have a few thoughts. Pre-paid gratuities have nothing to do with bar staff unless you have a beverage package. Of course, the bartender would have no way of knowing whether you pre-paid your general gratuities or not, and either way, it does not excuse this kind of comment.

I wonder, though, if it is possible that you were preceded by a long line of non-tippers. If they just served a large number of customers without any tip, the bartender may have been saying something along the lines of, "Oh, look, we just poured ten drinks and made $1 between us." The "they" may have been your fellow cruisers in general, not you specifically. I think a dollar tip on a drink is reasonable, and I would be incredibly surprised if bartenders expected so more on a typical bar drink that they would scoff at $1.

Again, still unprofessional, but it may not have had anything to do with you. I have not had a similar experience, but it would sit ill with me as well if I had.

Thanks for the comments. Regarding tipping in cash, it was pretty common on our cruise for passengers to hand a few extra dollars especially if they had the drink package. Also, there was a long line of passengers before me so I think that might help explain it.

How exactly ate the bartenders compensated? Do they receive a fraction of my total Prepaid gratuities based on how I purchase drinks across the cruise?

I'm surprised at this behavior. After 13 cruises with Celebrity we've never encountered this. I wonder how long she will last as a bar tender. Glad it did not color your overall experience.

We sometimes tip in cash, especially at the Elite gathering or with a beverage package. Other times we add something additional to the bar tab if the service warrants it.

While I agree that comment is very unprofessional, I have a few thoughts. Pre-paid gratuities have nothing to do with bar staff unless you have a beverage package. Of course, the bartender would have no way of knowing whether you pre-paid your general gratuities or not, and either way, it does not excuse this kind of comment.

I wonder, though, if it is possible that you were preceded by a long line of non-tippers. If they just served a large number of customers without any tip, the bartender may have been saying something along the lines of, "Oh, look, we just poured ten drinks and made $1 between us." The "they" may have been your fellow cruisers in general, not you specifically. I think a dollar tip on a drink is reasonable, and I would be incredibly surprised if bartenders expected so more on a typical bar drink that they would scoff at $1.

Again, still unprofessional, but it may not have had anything to do with you. I have not had a similar experience, but it would sit ill with me as well if I had.

Whether you have a beverage package or purchase by the drink, bar staff are ensured 18% gratuity. That comment should have been shared with senior officers. I'd have been beside myself to be mocked like that.

You tipped in CASH? That would certainly draw a comment. I don't think I've ever seen cash used as a tip on Celebrity.

Yep, I've tipped with cash and have never seen a reaction like that! How horribly offensive!

I'm assuming the OP had the beverage package and tipped 1$ on their drink. If that was the case, and that was the reaction from the bartender, I would have had that bartender's name and raised holly hell with guest relations, the F&B Manager, and the Hotel Director.

I'm Elite + and get free espresso. Every morning I head down to Café al Bacio and order a double espresso and a pastry. I always leave $1 for the server. I would hope never to receive any attitude.

You tipped in CASH? That would certainly draw a comment. I don't think I've ever seen cash used as a tip on Celebrity.

Why in the world would that "draw a comment"? Cash is very acceptable on Celebrity, very commonly used, and graciously accepted by all bartenders, bar waiters, etc.

Let me ask you this.......how do you tip people that take especially good care of you on the ship??? Cash is the only method I am aware of, or, adding the tip to a tab if you don't have a package. And your waiter, ass't. waiter, and room steward???

To the OP: I am sorry that comment was made by the bartender. Totally uncalled for, no matter the circumstance.

I use cash all the time. Always give the bartender during Elite Happy Hour a $5 bill just because.

Wow! That was unbelievably rude.

In 40 some cruises I've never encountered anything remotely close to that remark.

Before we had the drink package and I was signing for drinks, I could see the (then) 15% added on to every drink and rarely added more.

Since we've gotten the drink package i usually fold up a dollar bill and hand it to the bartender with my sea pass card. I usually get a smile and a small tip of the head.

If a bartender had done what yours did I would have avoided that person like the plague for the rest of the cruise.

Thanks all for the comments. Maybe there was just some misunderstanding...

Btw, Just out of curiosity how do tips work for the drink packages? Are they evenly distributed across all bartenders or are they allocated based on where we purchase drinks?

The next cruise I go on in September will be the first one on which I am getting the beverage pkg and I was wondering about tipping extra in cash. Previously, we always added a few dollars to the bill that we signed. My understanding is that if you use your OB account for the tip it is added to the pot that is shared among all wait staff, but if you give it in cash the server is allowed to just pocket it. We have always given envelopes to the staff in the MDR at the last dinner (and to the room attendants) with cash. Anyone know about this?

Hi all,

Considering that an 18% charge is added, I don't know why you added a dollar in cash. You always add extra to the gratuity never give cash.

The only place I tip extra for drinks is at the elite cocktail event because I'm not sure how they get compensated...drinks to us are free.

Had this happened to me, I would first ask for the $1 back....and I'd be heading for the nearest phone and asking for the food and beverage manager to stop by to chat....and I would have the name of the server who made the comment. It was not only out of line...it was probably grounds for being fired and let off at the next port.

Sorry you had this happen....based on lots of cruises on Celebrity your experience is a very rare exception to their excellent service.

Considering that an 18% charge is added, I don't know why you added a dollar in cash. You always add extra to the gratuity never give cash.

I'm really shocked that some people are so surprised by this. It was pretty common practice on my cruise to occasionally give an extra tip especially to bartenders and to do so in cash. In fact it was mentioned in these forums [emoji53]

I have NEVER tipped in cash, as I feel very strongly that 18% is more than enough gratuity for pouring a glass of wine or mixing a g&t and handing to me. Period.

Had that snippy--@ss chick pulled that crap on me, I would have immediately asked for my money back, addressed her by name (from her name tag), and assured her quietly that I'd be speaking with her supervisors immediately. If others nearby saw and heard her do this, I would have asked them if they'd be willing to corroborate what had happened. UNACCEPTABLE!!

The beauty of the drink packages is that you are never presented with a printed slip to sign. With a drink package, it's easier to tip cash, either at the point of purchase or near the end of the cruise to your favorite bartenders. I have a feeling this particular bartender does not have much of a fan base.