Past final payment, dramatic price reduction, options?

VirtualRain

Although you have no leverage, what have people been successful in negotiating when you see a significant price reduction on your cruise after you've already made final payment?

Once I was able to get an upgrade from an inside to an ocean view, since the price of the ocean view had dropped to about what I paid for the inside. I had to demand talking to someone in charge though. They weren't just going to give it up easily. I say something like... "These late price drops just encourage everyone to book their cruise at the last minute... Is that what you want me to do next time?"

Has anyone had similar, or better luck? Anyone told there's absolutely nothing that can be done? Do some of you not bother to monitor prices after final payment, or do, but don't complain?

Usually after final payment, there is very little, if anything, that can be done. Getting a cabin upgrade is the best I've seen. Most know that beyond the final, your choices are to cancel and rebook (paying the penalty to re-book) or try for an upgrade. I haven't seen OBC being given in a long time.

For this reason, we book after final payment for some cruises while others, we book way in advance and watch the prices go up, and sometimes come down below what we've paid. If we can't get the new lower price after final, so be it.

A big factor will be type of cabins they are trying to fill.. If you ask for something they have a lot of, they may be willing to work with you, especially if there is demand for your existing cabin.

More often than not however they will say no.

A couple of things to keep in mind if you decide to cancel. If you have the Princess Vacation Protection, you will get a full refund, but it will be in the form of a credit for a future cruise. I believe it is good for one year. Will you take a second cruise within the year to use the credit.

Did you get any OBC or other perks with the initial booking? If so, they may not apply when you rebook.

You may not get the same cabin when you rebook.

Some people have success but I never have. I can barely get my TA to help out when there is a fare drop before final payment let alone afterwards.

Sounds like you definitely need a new TA. Having to hassle about a fare drop is a sign of an extremely poor TA.

The only comparable thing I've dealt with was a 4-day Baja cruise out of L.A. last October on the Golden. It was about a month before departure.

I just called Princess (booked with them; don't have a TA) and said, "I see the prices have gone down and the on-board credit has gone up. Anything we can do about that?" And the nice lady on the phone said, "Sure, let's re-fare this." And within a couple of minutes we had more OBC and a lower fare, saved about $130, kept our same cabin and lost nothing.

So, it had nothing to do with my wheeling and dealing. It was just a Princess employee who said. "Sure, we can help you."

Jim

A couple of things to keep in mind if you decide to cancel. If you have the Princess Vacation Protection, you will get a full refund, but it will be in the form of a credit for a future cruise. I believe it is good for one year. Will you take a second cruise within the year to use the credit.

Did you get any OBC or other perks with the initial booking? If so, they may not apply when you rebook.

You may not get the same cabin when you rebook.

All true, but we've been refared without canceling and rebooking simply by saying we were prepared to cancel and rebook and file a PVP claim.

Sounds like you definitely need a new TA. Having to hassle about a fare drop is a sign of an extremely poor TA.

You're absolutely right! I've had three different TAs in the last ten years and they all worked for the same big company but in different locations. I think a lot of it has to do with that particular agency and how little they want to help the customer. Next time I'm booking direct with Princess since I do all the legwork and research anyway.:)

You're absolutely right! I've had three different TAs in the last ten years and they all worked for the same big company but in different locations. I think a lot of it has to do with that particular agency and how little they want to help the customer. Next time I'm booking direct with Princess since I do all the legwork and research anyway.:)

Sounds like you need a new company/ta. ;)

You also have to consider what perks you may be giving up to get your price saving. I am doing one soon on Celebrity where by the time I factored in my loss of perks, my saving was about $25.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

We are sailing in the Emerald in about 3 weeks. Yesterday I noticed they had a discount on Med sailings but it didn't show our particular cruise date. I called and mentioned what I saw on the website. The employee simply lowered our fare and kept us in the same cabin. Got a OBC too. Nearly $1000 less. I let our friends know who are also sailing with us. They called separately and that employee did it for them no problem too. Nearly the same savings. Maybe you just need to keep calling till you get the right employee. It took no negotiation at all for either of our groups.

Although you have no leverage, what have people been successful in negotiating when you see a significant price reduction on your cruise after you've already made final payment?

Once I was able to get an upgrade from an inside to an ocean view, since the price of the ocean view had dropped to about what I paid for the inside. I had to demand talking to someone in charge though. They weren't just going to give it up easily. I say something like... "These late price drops just encourage everyone to book their cruise at the last minute... Is that what you want me to do next time?"

Has anyone had similar, or better luck? Anyone told there's absolutely nothing that can be done? Do some of you not bother to monitor prices after final payment, or do, but don't complain?

I don't monitor after final payment, but if I do happen to see a difference, I just shrug it off. It's the nature of the beast: if you're someone who can travel last-minute, go for it. Otherwise, I consider it an expected price to pay for the convenience of knowing when I'm cruising, that I'm in the dining selection I want, that I can get the excursions I want, that I can get excursions at the best prices, etc. My general thought is simple: the prices you see after final payment are prices I'm not eligible for.

I remember going to dinner one time at a chain restaurant where the location near me had just run a promotion: order dinner between 7pm and 9pm and get half off everything except booze. I had no idea the promotion was running at all, but the waitress told me. However, she made sure to tell me quietly as there was another table nearby that wasn't eligible since they were about to leave and ordered earlier. Same thing applies: I had a pricing promotion that another table wasn't eligible for. Win some, lose some.

Some people have success but I never have. I can barely get my TA to help out when there is a fare drop before final payment let alone afterwards.

As others have said, try a new TA. Do some searches on high volume Princess TA's. If you book directly with Princess you run the chance of paying moe than you would with a good TA.

We are sailing in the Emerald in about 3 weeks. Yesterday I noticed they had a discount on Med sailings but it didn't show our particular cruise date. I called and mentioned what I saw on the website. The employee simply lowered our fare and kept us in the same cabin. Got a OBC too. Nearly $1000 less. I let our friends know who are also sailing with us. They called separately and that employee did it for them no problem too. Nearly the same savings. Maybe you just need to keep calling till you get the right employee. It took no negotiation at all for either of our groups.

I believe what you are saying is correct. I think it is all about the representative you get on the phone. I have rebooked after final payment and had no problems getting a lower rate. But, I know of at least one person who tried and was told no. I guess you just never know. I think it is always worth a try or two or three.:D:D:D

Sounds like you need a new TA :) I have never had a problem getting price reductions before final payment. After final payment I never look at the prices so I havent tried to get a reduction after final payment.

As others have said, try a new TA. Do some searches on high volume Princess TA's. If you book directly with Princess you run the chance of paying moe than you would with a good TA.

I believe what you are saying is correct. I think it is all about the representative you get on the phone. I have rebooked after final payment and had no problems getting a lower rate. But, I know of at least one person who tried and was told no. I guess you just never know. I think it is always worth a try or two or three.:D:D:D

I seriously doubt the rep can name their own price. :cool:

Sounds like you need a new TA :) I have never had a problem getting price reductions before final payment. After final payment I never look at the prices so I havent tried to get a reduction after final payment.

This thread is not about negotiating prior to final payment. Anyone can simply cancel without penalty prior to final payment and rebook at the lower fare.

What were talking about here is after final payment, which is usually when the prices can drop substantially. As an example, up until final payment, an inside cabin on our 21-day Med cruise was $3900CAD and now, three weeks after final payment, it's $2100CAD. That's significant.

Not a lot of success down here in OZ. The Princess Vacation Protection isn't much use to anyone outside of USA and or Canada?

Even before final payment down under the lost part of the deposit can make it not worth cancelling and re-booking.