Just off the Regal... Balcony Privacy Both Sides

abisha

I just got off the Regal on April 12. Since alot of people ask about the "privacy" issue on balconies on Regal (and Royal) with regard to those walking on the sea walk, I did a little bit of a test.

I looked all the way as far forward to the bridge and far down to the aft portion of the ship while standing on the furthest part out of the sea walk that sticks outward. I could see people standing at their railing no matter where the balcony was..even as far down on each end and no matter which deck. I could see part of them when sitting (but not all of them..mostly their legs) when looking all the way down to each end and no matter which deck. I Could see all of them when sitting on their balcony.. the closer you got to the sea walk and all of them no matter if they were sitting or standing at their railing or sitting in the chair on those balconies under the sea walk.

There really isn't 100% privacy on any deck all the way to each end fo the ship.

The worst were the ones right under the sea walk on the Starboard side...and the ones on the upper most decks ...13, 14, 15 and 17 on the starboard side were far worse of all. Someone had their curtain opened on deck 16, and I could see perfectly into their room:eek:. So just be aware of this if you are booked in any of these cabins.

However, it is worth noting that those balconies directly under the sea walk on the port side cannot be seen very much (just a little) since the sea walk bar takes the place of the "cut out" area of the sea walk that is on the starboard side. The ones in the higher decks under the sea walk bar cannot be seen much at all. However, on the port side..all the way forward and all the way aft, it is the same as what I reported on the starboard side.

If I were to book a balcony cabin and want 100% privacy, I would go for an aft facing balcony.

Just thought you'd like to know:).

Edited by abisha

Here is a perspective from under the walk when seated on mid ship balcony and looking up from Emerald deck.

IMG_0363_zpswc9p67jd.jpg

While you were investigating the privacy issue, did you see people intentionally stopping to look at the people out on their balcony? Did most people just keep walking or did they spend a lot of time hanging out to see what they could see?

Were people trying to take pictures and gawking?

If I were to book a balcony cabin and want 100% privacy, I would go for an aft facing balcony.

Just thought you'd like to know:).

That still wouldn't work due to the terraced design of the aft of the Regal and Royal. None of those balconies are completely covered. Most are barely covered.:cool:

Recently off the Regal in one of those deck 15 mini suites under the Skywalk.

Guests on the Skywalk were far more interested in staring down thru the glass floors than staring at our cabin balcony . In fact it was fun watching avoiding walking on the glass .

It was a mini suite Guarantee , I feared getting one of these cabins but

as it turned out , no big privacy issue and a bigger balcony than most .

Missed a midships stairway more than anything else about the Regal.

Edited by MCC retired

Well when we were on the royal a couple of weeks ago my husband was walking on the skywalk and yes you can see the balconies,. To top it off there was a gentleman sitting on his stark naked, yes naked. A family also noticed him but his wife came out and threw a towel on him. I guess he didnt realize that he could be seen.

On most of the other ships of the fleet from Carib deck down most all of the balconies are easily seen. The deck on the ships other than the Royal & Regal actually stair step out. This makes the decks below the top two or three not very private. My suggestion is do not do anything that you don't want other to see. We had one lady breast feeding her infant. Once she realized that those above could see it, she was never out there again.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean

Edited by ChiefBoats

LOL. No one called security about a stalker? :D I know you were doing it strictly in the interest of science. ;)

Lol..actually there were so many people on the sea walk as this was right after sail away on day one. Plus I was looking out at sea..Under my feet..took pics of my dh and so on.

A "Private" balcony means you won't be SHARING it with others. It doesn't mean you can't be seen, or heard!

My intention was really to make people realize they could be seen in case they were under the impression that they had complete privacy.

That still wouldn't work due to the terraced design of the aft of the Regal and Royal. None of those balconies are completely covered. Most are barely covered.:cool:

True but isn't there a covered part?

I just got off the Regal on April 12. Since a lot of people ask about the "privacy" issue on balconies on Regal (and Royal) with regard to those walking on the sea walk, I did a little bit of a test...Just thought you'd like to know:).

To me this is very useful information. Thank you for taking the time to compile it share it.

This confirms my decision to not sail on the Royal and Regal.

Here is a perspective from under the walk when seated on mid ship balcony and looking up from Emerald deck.

IMG_0363_zpswc9p67jd.jpg

While you were investigating the privacy issue, did you see people intentionally stopping to look at the people out on their balcony? Did most people just keep walking or did they spend a lot of time hanging out to see what they could see?

Were people trying to take pictures and gawking?

Doing a bit of both actually. I was amongst a lot of people doing same as me...walking or stopping and looking in various directions. It was right after sail away so there was that initial curiosity factor.

True but isn't there a covered part?

Some better than others. The Baja and Dolphin decks have the best, but even they are only partial. We have booked an aft Dolphin balcony in December (and if we can do the cruise) we will report back.

To me this is very useful information. Thank you for taking the time to compile it share it.

This confirms my decision to not sail on the Royal and Regal.

That's really too bad. I loved the Regal..such a gorgeous and classy ship. We sailed in an accessible inside cabin.

To put a 'visual' on the OP's post, here are two pictures taken from the walkway atop the enclosed SeaWalk; this walkway is open air and gives a clear, unobstructed view both forward and aft. Depending on the distance you are from the SeaWalk and SeaView extended decks, and which deck your balcony is located on, will determine just how much they can 'see' of you while you're sitting on your balcony.

From atop SeaWalk looking forward

11205198405_5ab28ec3c3_b.jpg

From atop SeaWalk looking aft

11205198435_56e844a3b8_b.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

To put a 'visual' on the OP's post, here are two pictures taken from the walkway atop the enclosed SeaWalk; this walkway is open air and gives a clear, unobstructed view both forward and aft. Depending on the distance you are from the SeaWalk and SeaView extended decks, and which deck your balcony is located on, will determine just how much they can 'see' of you while you're sitting on your balcony.

From atop SeaWalk looking forward

11205198405_5ab28ec3c3_b.jpg

From atop SeaWalk looking aft

11205198435_56e844a3b8_b.jpg

Great pics. You only see the one person but during sailaway there were many people out on their balcony and very visible to those on top of the sea walk and within the sea walk.

As another person just posted..buyer beware.

Here are some videos that show that people certainly do look at the balconies, take pictures and videos. Buyer beware. Personally, I wouldn't book one of these cabins. If I got a free upgrade from an inside, I would maybe take it.

Thanks for sharing. Those were taken on the starboard side but on the port side it's different due to the sea view bar being in the center ..so no cutout and not really much of the balconies can be seen underneath it..

More so the balconies on the lower decks because you can look straight down through the glass floor. But you can still see balconies all up and down the sides as someone just posted.

The video that Abisha posted definitely convince me I would NOT want to be in the cabin on M or R deck as you CAN see right into the cabin. I don't care about the balcony. If someone wants to see me in my pj's in the morning just out of bed, oh well. But can someone clarify that it IS or is NOT the same on the Port side. I know the bar is there, but can someone look INTO the cabin??? I almost booked one of those today. Just waiting for someone else in our group to commit. THANKS!

Edited by baronessk

The video that Abisha posted definitely convince me I would NOT want to be in the cabin on M or R deck as you CAN see right into the cabin. I don't care about the balcony. If someone wants to see me in my pj's in the morning just out of bed, oh well. But can someone clarify that it IS or is NOT the same on the Port side. I know the bar is there, but can someone look INTO the cabin??? I almost booked one of those today. Just waiting for someone else in our group to commit. THANKS!

I posted videos I found on You Tube in a simple search. You can look on You Tube to see if you can find any from the bar side. I haven't been on the Regal/Royal yet, so I haven't seen it myself. Of course, the bar is in the place of the opening, so there won't be as much open space to view the cabins from that side.